Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ordered by 256gb model on the 21st July 2021, just got my order option now, delighted, based on this thread, should have it in about a week

It's been a looooong time coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

I got mine in may just before I left Ireland , can't imagine waiting over a year its a great piece of kit though hope you enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's great, it took me a while to realise how powerful it Is, not just in terms of running games at decent settings, but rather how it opens up so many avenues. PS5, Xbox series x, stadia, PC, emulation all in my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

any suggestions for good non verified games for this ye have played ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Best to just try out stuff regardless as games can be non-verified or unsupported for so many reasons ranging from a need to use a mouse or mouse controls to interact with a launcher screen, to outright completely non-functional (some of which will probably be grand forcing a different Proton revision).

Probably only a relatively small portion of you library will show as 'great on deck' (even some of them need help), but the majority under 'all games', within reason obviously, are worth trying out to see how they get on. Could have game breaking issues at some point, but you never know till you try em.

https://www.protondb.com/ is worth a bookmark when looking to play your favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I pre-ordered on July 12th and no notification yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bumped back to Q4 now. Thought that would happen, but still guaranteed to be here by Christmas which is what it’s needed for.

2022?

I put my deposit down on the 20th July 2021 and only got my link to order it yesterday, from the most recent info from Valve, you should have it in Q4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

i got doom 2016 awhile ago on sale to play on my pc but i decided download it and try it as my first steam deck game and man it's running and playing like a dream on the deck ! buttery smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I tried to anticipate the issues described above, but computer still says no.

I moved to EU last year. I changed my Store region to Belgium and I have made a purchase or two since, without a problem. Now that the Deck is finally available to purchase, I cannot use any of my payment options. Even Belgian ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well I got the email last week to complete my purchase BUT, after such a long wait I, probably rightly, convinced myself that I didn't need it. I have a sizeable Steam collection and a few years back threw together a desktop 'Steam Machine'. I've barely touched that, so what would be different about this.

Emulation is what we are using ours for mostly, Wii U and PS2 games are amazing on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I'm not sure if your booking has expired, but keep hounding customer support was a massive pain, but eventually I got a new booking from them.

Shipping is taking longer than I hoped, ordered 8 days ago and it's still stuck in The Netherlands, though from previous experience with GLS it can just appear to be in the distribution centre until an hour before it's delivered, still 8 days so far, annoying wait.

Anyone else have this experience

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I paid for mine on May 19th, GLS got it on May 24th, I got it on June 1st. It didn't reach Ireland until May 31st with no updates on the tracking for the week before.

Thank you very much for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Thanks very much for this feedback. Yes, my booking has now expired. They sent me an email saying my 5 euro is returned. I got a semi-automated help desk response to my initial complaint to say "Your region is your region, not our problem". But yes, it is also my plan to not let go of this. I mean, I could have shipped it to my parents in Ireland if that was an option. And if they had moved my booking to EU region, I would have had the Deck ages ago anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

If you see a non-verified game that interests you or something really cheap in a sale, do a quick google to see how it runs on the Deck. There will almost certainly be a thread on Reddit about it. Very often it will either run just fine as-is or require a small tweak to get working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

I expect I will get my email early next week with an option to purchase. The issue I have is that I will be out of the county for the following week and there will be no one available at the premises to collect the package.

For those who have received the package - did you have an option to change to a local delivery center or did you have to sign for it? My fear is it could just be left outside my front door and get taken while i am away.

• Advertisement

If it helps I got my email to buy on the 6th which was a Monday. Paid right away. They didn't ship it until the 9th. And it arrived on the 15th.

It comes through GLS and you get a tracking number from them and that should let you change the day. Or get it put somewhere safe like a shed.

I often leave my car boot open for the postman to leave stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Thanks, it works out you can update your delivery address via adding a new card in the payment method on your steam account.

Going to re-route it to brothers house to be safe.

Great to see the orders picking up so fast, can't wait for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭insular1

Did you get yours yet? Expecting to get my email tomorrow so trying to guage when I should get it. Feel like a kid again waiting for this thing! 😂

I've been playing Control this week on the Deck but playing it via Stadia through the chrome browser. It's running great, have it on at full settings at 60fps and still getting around 4 hours of battery life. If I was to run it on the deck itself I reckon that would be closer to 90mins to 2 hours of battery life. So pretty much doubles it.

Also started digging into the community control settings too. Playing Papers Please and someone has a configuration that gives you double mouse cursors. So you can quickly grab the passport and stamp it using both trackpads. Takes a bit to get used to but opens up so many options that the official configs don't offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Finally got around to trying out the new Jsaux dock after a rather protracted delivery.

Yeah....seems decent. Does what it says on the tin...gigabit ethernet, 4K/60Hz over HDMI etc. Nice metal feel, right angled USB-C etc

But....suffers from the same issue most of these docks and plastic stands have in that if the Deck is in a TPU/Silicone case it doesn't sit right. Out of the case it's perfect, but with it on, its just not secure enough. Better than others perhaps as it allows the base to sit flush, but because its not at the properly sloped angle any forward tip or knock would send the Deck on its face.

Can anyone tell me (that has them) do Fallout 3 and New Vegas work on the deck? I've never been a PC gamer so have no games on steam but trying to pick up some of my favourite games before I get a deck in a few months. Can't find a definite answer online though if these work properly or not. Some say they work perfect and some say they keep crashing and are unplayable.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I started New Vegas over the weekend and it works perfectly. The only issue is that you have to change the default resolution which was really finicky on the touchscreen, if it wasn't for this the game would almost certainly be verified. The controller buttons are all mapped perfectly and it runs at 60 fps even at max settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Put my pre-order in last week, heres hoping it comes in October before my holidays.

I ordered in May and was in Q4 but just checked my account and I'm in Q3 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Got mine today, tested out binding of isacc and gta5 on epic. Little bit of messing to get epic setup but all running great, it was a long wait but delighted with it

Advertisement