Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MG ZS EV - 72.6kWh Facelift

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

You've 2 months to get all the fiddly things figured out before I hopefully get my car!! Please and thanks.

Re android auto, make sure you have a good cable. I have it in my current car, it's great but does need a good cable and connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'll bring out the cable off the phone see if it helps.

It always seems to just randomly change. I'll be on the radio and get a message and Spotify will turn on 😂

Was looking at a little wireless adapter too. That can sit there and not have to worry about a big cable sticking out.

I was looking at those adapters too. May grab one down the line, current phone doesnt have wireless charging.

Saw my first facelift in the wild today, blue on the M50,was great to see.

Has anyone else gotten dates of delivery in August or September? The last update we had was October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Drives like a dream, can’t get over how quiet it is or how fast it can accelerate.

How come it only charges to 80%? Also I’ve read conflicting views that it’s better to leave it at 80 unless you need the range?! Anybody with a good link to charging instructions and advice and general Q&A?

On the screen if you bring up the charging screen (picture of the car and a big green bar). There is a line that says 80% if you just press the bar at 100% it will move up.

They reckon fully charging batteries isn't great for long term health. If you are only pottering around you can leave it at 80, if you have a long journey you can charge to 100.

I'm dubious about how much it protects the battery. I've also heard different things. There is two types of battery. The short range one uses a different tech that handles 100% charges better. But our one has the longer range but they recommend 80%.

I found the issue with Android Auto. You need to give the Apps Auto Start permissions. Other wise you get an error that says "Spotify does not seem to be working at the moment". Once you set that permission on your phone the car can start Spotify etc.

The range is great, in my head, 400km isn't that much but I've been tipping around for the bones of 6 days now and I still have 66% left. I prob have done more trips than usual too as I'm always mad to drive it and hopping in and going for a spin. The kids now get a trip each in the car too which is nice to get some one-on-one time with them.

I reckon I'll be charging every 2 to 2.5 weeks at this rate.

The autostart tip actually solves an existing issue for me with Android auto on my current car. nice one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Spoke to dealer today, I'm looking at mid September at earliest, car hasn't left China yet, car was ordered January 6th by my cousin but he bailed and I'm taking it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

My Boards usage is very intermittent at the moment, so I'm just catching up.

@Grumpypants - my KERs doesn't reset - I stuck it on 3 fairly early, and it stays there (I'm getting used to the semi-one pedal driving, but still have my foot hovering over the brake!) I've kept MG Pilot on, I particularly like it in traffic jams. If a hypothetical person was driving faster than the posted speed sign, the speed sign flashes in the display, so that hypothetical person can slow down by themselves (or tip the stalk down to the new speed in CC).

I just got my home charger installed today, and it seems fine so far. In general the default is to charge up to 80%, unless you're planning a long journey, in which case you can up it in the car or in the app to "long journey"/100%

I've had problems disconnecting the charger at ESB and at an office destination charger. I haven't quite figured out what I'm doing wrong. Charging has stopped, and the car is unlocked, but I couldn't pull out the plug, then suddenly after a few minutes I could. Haven't needed to charge much yet (the main charging has been for test purposes), so I presume I'll get used to it.

Android auto is a bit hit and miss for me - again it may be a cheap cable. What I've found is that I'll be following google maps directions, and the next thing the phone will just completely disconnect (and won't reconnect with bluetooth either). If anyone finds a suitable dongle I'd love to know!

I've got a Samsung S20+, and for the life of me can't find anywhere to set "auto start".

Still loving the car, though the silence still takes me by surprise.

• Advertisement

Auto start should be on your phone in

> Settings

> apps

> permissions

> Auto start.

> Pick the apps.

To unlock the charger. If you sit into the car and turn it on. (You can turn it on while charging). Then bring up the charging screen ( the screen with the green battery bar).

Just below the green bar to the right is a tiny little lock symbol. You have to press that to unlock the cable. It will change to show as the lock open, but you need good eyes to see it 😂

The kers is on 3 for me too. It takes a little getting used to. I've found if it is too harsh you can tip the accelerator and it will reduce it. My old car used to just turn off the braking the second you tipped it.

I think when on 3 if you look at the right dial on the dash it will say -19. Then you can tip the accelerator and bring that down to -11ish, still get some charge but the braking is less severe. Until you need to stop.

This is it beside the finish charging button.

This is it unlocked then. The only difference is a tiny bit of white on the round part of the lock.

No point me contacting them so. Supposed to have an October delivery, Ill believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

February this year. Was always for an October delivery, with a couple of follow ups all indicating no delay. Last contact was a month ago.

• Advertisement

I'll keep an eye on it. It's funny that I only need to do it some places and not others - I don't seem to need to do it on my home charger. Thanks!

I got a different cable yesterday (this one), and it's been working perfectly so far. Doing a longer trip later, so will see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 khohi

this more info about MG ZS EV like price and spics ....

When I checked my home one yesterday it was unlocked too. So maybe it stays locked for a few minutes after the charging stops for safety. And it's more noticeable on the fast charge as you are right beside it.

Next week is my first real "living with an EV "experience. Off on a three short trips away with the kids. The one to cork will need a charge but the other two I've a good shot a squeezing by. It depends on how much driving I do when we are there.

I had a brief moment where the key wasn’t working. It’s like the battery went for maybe 30. seconds. It’s only happened once but it would really be a problem as you’d be out somewhere and wouldn’t be able to use car. Might mention it to garage, wondering if anybody else had a similar moment?

Had the same thing. Got out of the car to check the charging cable, then reached back in to turn it off and it said no key found.

Keyless and button starts are great but nothing beats being able to turn a real key when something goes wrong.

I do see inside the key there is an actual physical key. It's tiny. But it must do something. Normally it's to lock the car when you go surfing. But I don't see a key hole.

• Advertisement

YouTube is handy. So the part of the handle that doesn't pull out when you open the door is just a cap. You can pop this off and find a key hole in case you need to open or close it with the little emergency key.

Two weeks in and 1000km done and I love it.

First week was just pottering around at home getting used to it, but this week we are holidaying in Ireland. One round trip of 300km to Clare on the weekend, no charging needed and I got home with 120km left, a 400km round trip to Fota island midweek, I did stay with relatives and they let me use the 3 pin. It added 28% over night. But I still would have made it home with about 5% left without the top up, and that was including big chunks of motorway at 120kmph and the AC on in normal mode. If I travelled at 110, in eco and no AC. I'd stretch it to the 440+ handy enough.

Drive is really nice, normally my back is killing me after an hour but 2 1/2 hour drive today and I'm grand.

Great pick up and speed when needed for over taking or pulling off.

MG pilot is great. Stick it on and it drives itself.

Everyone that's sees it really likes it and can't get over the quality. Some Cars that are 10-20k more aren't as nicely done.

Few annoying bits.

Rain, if you open the window in the rain, the rain runs up the windscreen, up the pillar and a big drop comes in the window. Drops right onto the electric window buttons. I've had that before in another car and they don't last. Not great when it's painfully clammy and raining like this week.

Intelligent speed sensor. Reads speed signs and slows you down. Great feature that works brilliantly but This has to be turned on via settings. If you turn on MG Pilot it turns off, and you need to set it up again. Same if you turn off the car, so now it never gets used.

Cheers for the update GP. I've still very jealous of you having your car. Interesting re the rain annoyance, I had planned to get wind deflectors anyway primarily to leave the window open occasionally for the dog.

Have you thought about getting a frunk?

GP, do you know how you turn off the thing that keeps pulling you to centre of road? It’s quite jarring and dangerous on smaller roads near where I live. You have to hug the side of some roads and it starts dragging you towards the Middle!

I think it you go into vehicle settings, MG pilot and turn off "lane keep assist". Lane keep warning will just beep at you. But assist steers you in.

For a long time I thought it was not needed. Then this week with the boot rammed with buggies and travel costs and about 7 bags. I thought an awful lot about how much sense a frunk makes for the charging cable if nothing else. 🤣

Ya, I plan on getting one for cables and for the compressor/12v jump starter tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It would be great to see a few pictures of all your lovely MGs

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Got a taxi one of these home last night after a few pints. Very impressive. Wasn't the premium model, but quality was excellent.

Obviously silent (but for the synthesised spaceship noise), and took the bumps and ruts of the road really well.

Congrats to anyone that's gotten one, 'cause they're probably the best cars on the road pound for pound.

I got and installed the frunk for storing cables and high vis vest etc. My thinking is that if the boot is full of stuff, I don't want to have to take everything out to get at the cables. Very simple install, but the one I got needed two different size hex keys. Not an issue for me as I have a set, but something to watch out for.

As @Grumpypants said, everyone who's seen it has been surprised by the quality so far. One friend said they were expecting a cheap plasticy feel, and were pleasantly surprised.

• Advertisement

Couple of things I’m still trying to understand.

Ive seen some 12v warning and not sure why. I believe this is other parts of the car being run by a smaller battery but it can go flat a few ways. There is no car manual with the car so I feel I have to just wing it or try and Google stuff as I go along.

Found the way to turn off the dangerous lane warning thing. That’s a pile of sh*t in general, particularly on smaller roads.

Radio automatically comes on, I’m sure I can Google what to do there but it’s annoying that everything seems to be kind of awkward to figure out. (Is a simple off button that difficult?)

I still haven’t figured out how fast to drive or optimum speed. Anything over 100km seems to just drain the battery. I’ve left the level 3 break thing where car slows down quicker but that puts energy back into battery. Also usually drive in economy mode but don’t actually know what difference it makes to running or car. Been once or twice when battery was really draining and I couldn’t figure out why!!!

Ive mixed between charging each night (left on the 80% level until I’m going on longer trips) and sometimes letting it get down to 20% but have no idea if that’s helpful to battery longevity.

I haven’t actually figured out the Cruise control function but googled it earlier so that seems fairly straight forward. Is it ok to just switch the cruise control on and off as you need it while driving (within reason, I don’t mean every few kms , just is it ok to switch on and then later on switch it off by clicking handle back mid drive if you just want to take back the speed reigns?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

plus it will be better than any car M.I.C. vehicle. Less carbon footprint as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

My company bought a M.I.C. Vehicle, it was very poorly built, just my experience.

80 kmph seem very easy on the battery. I was doing lots of back roads that were 80k and it lasts ages. Motorways as expected eat battery.

But in general I'm getting 16.5-17kw per 100km. So that's about €3.50 per 100km.

For the radio I've got into the habit of pressing mute in the steering wheel in place if an off button when I'm turning off the car. When I get back in later it is still muted.

Cruise control has a knack, but it's not too hard to get to grips with.

Pull the stick towards you once to turn MG pilot on (yellow light with the car between two lanes) Pull it twice quickly to turn on traffic jam. (Yellow light with three cars comes on). This will stop/start for you in traffic.

Press the Set button to set the speed. It will set it to the speed you are going. And the yellow lights go green.

Push the stick up to speed up by 5 km, down to reduce the speed by 5. It will go to the nearest 5 on the first press. So if you are doing 92 and tap up, it will go to 95 rather than 97. If you hold the stick up it will go up in one's.

To reduce the distance between you and the car ahead you twist it back towards you. Or increase it twist it forward. The light on the dash has three little white horizontal bars. Go down to one bar for not too much room, up to three for a nice distance.

You can leave the stick alone, no need to push it forward to get back control, unless you want to turn it off completely, if you just want temporary control (for a roundabout or something) just touch the brake or accelerator and it gives you back control. When ready, pull the stick towards you again to engage it once more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

€3.50 per 100km? What are you paying per unit?

I'll need to double check but I think it's around 20cent. Might be a bit more as it went up recently but I'm on a 28% discount too.

So you have one single experience of an M.I.C. car, and the whole Chinese car industry is to be written off? That's some insight.

Similarly, my wife had a Megane a good few years back. Used to leave water into the rear light cluster and mess up the electrics. Based on that one experience, nobody should go near any French made car.

How did my charging in the car increase over a few small drives?

After charging it was 80% and after a few small trips it went to 81%!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭gripcasey

I spoke to Dealer today . I ordered in Jan 22 for sept/Oct delivery. But he doesnt look good he expects date to be pushed out. Not sure as to when. Hopes to have more information during the week.

Do you mind saying which dealer? I dropped Linders a mail last week and there was no such indication. Feb order for October delivery.

On a separate note, what's the NCAP rating for the facelift? Pre facelift is 5* but can't find the LR anywhere.

5 star too

Cheers GP, is that stated anywhere do you know?

Actually the link I looked at was on the Parker's site. They say 2022 model, But the video they link is the 2019 results.

So not 100% sure but I do remember seeing it somewhere.

I've found the same on short trips around town. I was nervous of KERS3 for the first day or so, but use it exclusively now, and have found that I sometimes get home with more charge than I left with. This doesn't work on longer trips. I may need to slow down a bit if I'm doing particularly long journeys, but so far I haven't changed my driving style on dual carriageways/motorways.

• Advertisement

Sorry for delay. Frank Keane MG. I was told he would more this week. Hopefully date no pushed back.

Cheers gripcasey - Linders are very slow and tend to require chasing, so if you get any information please report back here.

I've seen one report today of a customer who ordered in February from Frank Keane having their order pushed out, potentially into Q1. I expect a similar call from Linders.

Yes I got a call this morning won't be getting car this year and that the earliest will be Q1 2023 but no guarantees.😥

Sorry to hear that GC. I still havent heard anything but imagine i will get similar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement