Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Your definition of "enhance" and theirs might be different! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

the place is a kip now, the improved footpaths and planting of trees and public realm in general will have the place looking far better. We're not living there now but my partner owns a place on Strandville Avenue and we may be living there later this year or next year, we are both delighted with the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭bikeman1

That's not what I said.

I said that everything is moving fine today, and made an educated guess that some people were avoiding the area following the media coverage of this. The way some people were going on was that Fairview would be a dead end for anyone wanting to go to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,960 ✭✭✭✭JRant

If someone is travelling in from Meath and Laois and ends up needing to head southbound at fair view they’ve taken a wrong turn somewhere along the way.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Well done to the Gardai for proving that traffic enforcement in this country is an absolute joke. Clontarf Garda station is what, a kilometre away? Clowns leaving it to the construction workers to try to police.

"Light traffic on the first day of the new one-way system on North Strand did not deter a significant number of motorists from illegally using the bus lane to access Dublin city on Monday morning.

However, significant numbers of car and commercial vehicle drivers illegally used the bus lane and did not stop for construction workers who asked them to divert."

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/dublin/2022/08/08/ban-on-inbound-traffic-on-dublins-north-strand-comes-into-force/

• Advertisement

Nice bit of advertising from the Irish Times, drive down this road and you won't be caught

Even better from the article:

"Victor Coe, senior executive engineer with Dublin City Council, said Garda enforcement would be implemented if motorists did not obey the diversions."

How could you not start with enforcement on Day 1 and send a proper message. Ineptitude of the highest order.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They should have had them all out from Templemore for the first week and hammer anyone breaking the rules - cars and cyclists.

This will be a right sh*tshow if people think they can just ignore the diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CarProblem

Is there any reason we don't use cameras for traffic enforcement in Ireland? Not just in this instance (but it's a prime candidate) but for example people breaking red lights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Do DPD even require their drivers to have a driving licence before giving them a job?

Because no politician has the balls to introduce them. There were huge complaints when speeding fines were doubled recently, along the lines of "how can they do this during a cost of living crisis". Now look at the complaints about this disruption to cars in Fairview. There would be pandemonium if somebody had the sense to introduce red light cameras in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

could you imagine all the "but the cyclists break red lights!!" whingeing that would surface

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭growleaves

It isn't a "kip" and if it were a few cosmetic changes wouldn't be transformative.

Yeah, it's a bit of a kip alright. It badly needs these improvements. Even if there was no cycle lane added.

Pat Kenny had that gem lined up from a mile away this morning. Unfortunately the green Councillor didn't hit back with the article from that red light camera trial in Smithfield that caught more cars than bikes breaking red lights.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

For a second, I thought those cyclists travelling illegally were DPD & Go-Car vans

Bikes and busses have to share the same space on the road now, which isn't great. And I can only imagine that vehicles driving it, that shouldn't be, will only increase. So they'll be driving in a hurry, and putting people in danger. As can be see by the GoCar van that overtook me. He was driving really close and aggressive for the whole time.

Gardai should have been out today to send a message.

She did pretty well apart from that. Put Pat firmly back in his box when he was desperately trying to turn it into cyclists v local residents

• Advertisement

The difference is that cars are mostly running through empty red lights. Cyclists are blasting through pedastrian crossings that are full of people.

I walk through Dublin city every morning and I have to tell off cyclists for blasting through when I have right of way as a pedestrian. I almost got run over by cyclists five times in the last six months (and once by a car).

Motorists know they would be up in court for vehicular manslaughter if they drove as dangerously as many cyclists do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I had cause to drive through fairview this evening at about 6 on a journey between cabra and clontarf. Traffic in the usual bottlenecks eg phibsboro and Dorset St were VERY quiet. Fairview also very quiet. It was very slightly busier than usual heading east, just east of Alfie Byrne Road which tells me more people are going east of North Strand/ Amiens St. And needless to say the chaos predicted by some didn't appear indeed quite the opposite, it had a traffic calming effect. I also noticed through Ballybough and Fairview, a MASSIVE increase in cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

Your first sentence is complete fabrication. Maybe the city centre is a different beast but in the suburbs, it is no longer safer to drive when you’re light goes green because there will inevitably be at least three vehicles drive through an opposing red light. It used to be just cars but lately it’s everything: buses, HGVs, the lot.

Cyclists absolutely should obey red traffic lights or at least ones where other road users are around but the danger of a car barrelling through a red light is orders of magnitude more because of their weight.

There would be funerals every other week if cars were blasting through red lights at the last second the way cyclists do in the city centre. I am not jumping out of the way of cars generally so these statistics, or the way they're presented, aren't the full story imo.

Yes cyclists might not kill someone if they hit them so it's potentially a lot less serious. Maybe that's why they do it? They know they won't be facing down a 10 year sentence for vehicular manslaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I was today years old when I learned that. I don't like that section (and much of annesley bridge road in general). I only knew the hardware shop as the "Rustin's building"

Any examples of a driver in Ireland convicted of vehicular manslaughter and getting 10 years in prison?

Whatever the sentence is usually then. My point is the same.

I walk, cycle a bicycle and drive a car.

As a fit cyclist I have the energy to stop at a red light and then accelerate again quickly when it goes green - which can be knackering physically, especially at first. The lazy option is to keep pedalling or rolling along all the time and let pedestrians yield or jump out of the way regardless of green or red.

I also walk, cycle and drive.

However I think you'll find drivers in Ireland rarely receive prison sentences for careless or dangerous driving. I'll be interested to see the pathetic excuse for a sentence that will be handed down to the lady that recently severed a Garda's foot after she did a hit and run while over the blood alcohol limit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Motorists know they would be up in court for vehicular manslaughter if they drove as dangerously as many cyclists do.

Cyclists should not be breaking red lights and it absolutely is a problem, but this is simply not even remotely true. Motorists who have in fact killed people almost never face vehicular manslaughter charges, they generally get a slap on the wrist and maybe a couple years off the road.

• Advertisement

was wondering how long it would be before the thread descended into cyclists v drivers and red light breaking

every. single. time.

Advertisement