Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playdate - A new handheld console

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sideloading stuff to beat the band here.

Some impressive stuff there, more to come.

I'm hoping Super Hexagon and Love make the jump to the format

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Week 2s games just dropped, Cranklins Time Travel Adventure is fantastic, not too sure about Boogie Loops though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Takahashi’s game is one of the trolliest, meanest, most infuriating games ever made. Every level has some cruel prank to play on you - like a walking turd (literally) who strolls up to completely **** up your day at the worst possible moment.

It’s bloody fantastic 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

WTF

Is this like some avant-garde Gameboy ?

Cup of tea?

Feck off wasp!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

‘Hipster Gameboy’ is more accurate.

Alas, I am its exact demographic.

Maybe it'll light some fires at Nintendo and they'll come out with a Gameboy with suction cups of something. 🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's the only console more hipster than whipping out a Wonderswan or Neo Geo pocket (black and white, no colour) at the Bernard Shaw while sipping a pint of craft Ale.

I've kept my mouth shut but have been following this thread. We'll just say I'm sceptical!

Actually, haven't we moved beyond hipster at this stage. Maybe this device is a post hipster phenomenon.

• Advertisement

Most hipster is a Sega Nomad over a pint of craft cider, playing something by Treasure

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

We already had four player micro machines 2 with a nomad in the pub.

Guess I'm a hipster...

New game day today!

The pup puzzler is okay, the marble one... not so sure

Finally got shipping confirmation. Due 12-14 September

Not too long now!

Will it be worth the wait though?

Got the playdate last night. Just back from holidays so didn't get to play much of it but I'm impressed by the feel of it and the screen is lovely despite the lack of back light.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Got my confirm your delivery address email. Cut off date is Oct 3rd so hopefully they start rolling out group 3 early October.

Finally got my shipped email. So it is in the way, ETA 27-30th of Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Keep thinking about buying one of these event though its a dumb idea.

Mine is on the way from the US via Amsterdam. Should be here next week.

• Advertisement

Playdate announcement coming. Hoping it's more games but they are also teasing an on device store:

Hope the Lucas Pope project makes a long overdue appearance :)

They sent around an email with some more info.

Catalog

If you haven't heard, we're hard at work on a major new addition to the Playdate system — Catalog, an on-device store of curated Playdate games you can buy easily and instantly. It's coming soon!

Catalog will also launch with some never-before-seen games for your Playdate. And of course, you'll still be able to sideload games you buy from any other store, like Itch.

We may have a lot more to say about Catalog on March 7th, during the next Playdate Update Video! Tune in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Tried Catalog last night. Works really well although loading the game previews is a little slow. You'll need to set up payment details off the system though. The UI is fine for the hand full of games there at the moment but I can see it getting a bit cluttered unless they update it.

There's some real time 3D games up on the store which shows the playdate has a decent bit of power.

Edit: Just to add, this has the best online store music since the Wii shop. Take that boring Sony and Microsoft!

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

So tried some of the catalog games.

Direct Drive is the most expensive one there. Presentation is great. Gameplay is very simple but honestly quite fun but the music so far has been exceptional. There's the promise of more content to come. The price might put people off but a lot of effort went into this, making those music tracks probably wasn't cheap.

Carve Jr I need to try more of. I only gave it a quick, apparently there's tricks you can do but I was just spinning with the crank. Not ready to make a judgement.

A joke that's worth 0.99 cent. This one just annoys me. Maybe that's the joke. I think I get about 4 or 5 lines into the joke before it starts again.

I also got Bloom as I heard it's the real standout of all the games but I want to really get into that one so didn't try it.

Was watching this last night, a nice little recap of this guy's little Vampire survivors clone Core Fault.

I did play Bloom when I first got the Playdate. I really like the 'check in once or twice a day' structure, although it can be a bit strange when you don't check in for a day or two and then suddenly in-game hours or days pass by immediately. It has some charming moments but its biggest problem is that the writing's just too simplistic and amateurish. The delivery is smart but the writing can't keep up with it. That and you quickly realise there's not really any strategy to the flower planting mini-game, and you just need to plant the most lucrative flower you can afford over and over again. It's strange as well that you can be raking in money that way and the story doesn't reflect it at all. It's a cool use of the hardware overall, just is too limited to rise above that.

It's happening! The big one drops in two weeks:

• Advertisement

Time to turn my playdate on. There's actually some great stuff on the device and I've bought a few games online it's just I have my 3DS, Vita, analogue pocket and soon my DS out and in circulation again so hard to find time for all my handheld gaming. Also not helping is I'm playing Valkyria chronicles 3 which feels like it will be an 80 hour game.

Advertisement