Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

How long is Thiago expected to be out for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No word yet, probably have to wait another day or two before we really know. We just know it's a hamstring injury, so about a month at a guess, depending on severity. Could be better, could be worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Klopp has always been happy to make do with what he has rather than get a player for a position if it's not the player he wants.

• 2016/17 - James Milner played left back for the season because Moreno couldn't be trusted and the club hadn't identified a player for the position that met the requirements.
    • 2017 - Edwards and the analytics team had to convince him to sign Salah when his preferred option had opted to stay in Germany. It took time to convince him and Klopp was willing to go without signing such a player until after the World Cup the following summer in the hope that he would get the player he wanted then.
    • 2020/21 - Klopp patched the defence with Fabinho and then Henderson and only fielded the available defenders when forced to do so by injuries. It was obvious for the month of January that we needed a defender but a short term fix wasn't considered until the transfer window had almost closed.

I'd be happier if there was an athletic young utility player in the group that could fill in for a number of positions but unfortunately our utility player is 36 years old. Milner is good for a few games at the start of the season before the physicality of the league begins to take its toll and his body requires longer recovery times.

There's no doubt that the powers that be accept that we need a midfield player. The issue is that the individual has to be a player Klopp wants and unless the analytics team can convince him otherwise it will be a waiting game. Neuhaus wanted to remain in Germany. According to the French media source, Tchouameni had agreed in principle to join Liverpool until Real Madrid pounced in the fallout of Mbappe's decision to remain with PSG. Those were two players Klopp wanted to work with, now we've moved on to trying to secure Bellingham for next year.

I have been wondering for a while if the reason that the club are only looking for a single midfielder is perhaps because of the signing of Ramsay. When he beds into the group then Alexander-Arnold becomes a possibility for a position in midfield and Klopp knows he can shape him into the player that he wants.

Post edited by Talisman on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

These long gaps between matches are strange.

Saturday really reminds me of Brentford and Brighton last year where we didn’t manage the game properly at all. What’s really frustrating is that City tend to handle those type of games and don’t really let teams like that have much of a chance against them. This recent habit of starting slow and conceding first is letting teams have a real shot against us.

I’d also like to see midfield additions but I don’t think that was the problem on Saturday, more so that a lot of the senior players were poor, e.g Vvd, Fabinho, Bobby. Some like Hendo improved after Milner came on but in general the approach wasn’t what it should be.

I’d expect them to be a lot better against Palace next week- Nunez to start hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Why would we not be after De Jong? Could see him being brilliant under Klopp. Type of player we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

His wage.

That's without the issues with Barcelona and the deferred wages ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

His wages and he doesn't actually want to leave Barcelona, but I'd be laughing until next season if we signed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

De Jong would be an amazing signing for us but highly unlikely to happen. Be gas to sign him from under Uniteds nose and in fairness I don't think it's that he won't leave Barca (they owe him 7mil in wages and are buying everyone in Europe) he just won't leave them for United a team not in the champions League.

Liverpool should throw a sneaky bid in what's to lose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Yeremy Pino from VillaReal is being mentioned as a potential signing online, for us and Arsenal...

Not seen any of the UK accounts mention it other than Spanish accounts going on about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

City play as completely different game to us, Pep is all about control and having technically gifted players all over the park where they are willing to recycle the ball to death until the right pass is available. It's why it's so hard to play against them as you rarely see the ball and if you do venture out to try and press them to get it back, they can cut you apart in 2 seconds with a swivel of the hips form Foden or Bernardo or a driving run from KDB...We are much more direct, which work best when we are moving the ball at pace with precise, quick direct passes to the front 3 but we have to sacrifice some control for this system to work. These quick interchanges can breakdown at any point and that is why Fab and Hendo are so vital to try win the ball back as quickly as possible as if they don't, we are caught on the counter...if its any consolation, our style of football is much more entertaining to look at, even if it does bring on many heart attack moments.

I know there brilliant City can be so so tiresome to watch , I wonder how many times they passed the ball back wards yesterday ,

I think to beat them or get a result you have to be brave and most Prem times try to sit back and hang on for the life's but i do understand its because they lack the quality to try and compete with the, ,

Am i right to say Klopp has the best record of nay manger against Pep and i think its because he is always brave and plays on the front foot against the

I do wonder if this year teams will try to play a higher line against City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

van den Burg seems to be wanted by a lot of teams.

No one seems to want Phillips again this summer.

I actually turned off the City match yesterday and watched the camogie on RTE, considering City have the best young forward in the world making his debut that says a lot!! It's just so tedious looking at them the last 2 odd years, a few years ago (think it was the 100 point season) they were very good to look at...The only way you will ever get joy is to try get in their face as Pep actually loves it when teams sit deep and keep it tight against them as he knows its impossible for this to work against them over 90 minutes. Now they have Haaland there's even less chance teams are going to gamble against them...

on the Klopp thing I'd imagine that is true as we have gone at them everytime we have played them, to our detriment sometimes!! We have taken some big margin beatings off them over the past 5 years but have also gotten some very good results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

I was talking to a Preston fan at the Strasbourg game and he had said they were very happy with him there last season and we’re sorry to see him leave.

4 of the next 6 league games are at home,or 7 of the next 11 league games if you want to go further. So if we can win all our home games at least, and do well away, we'll be going fine, as a start to the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Good news on thiago, looking like 2 weeks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I would be most happy if this is true.

Currently not seeing anything on Twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They went back to there old stomping ground to sign a under 21 free agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

This. I just find it impossible to watch a game involving City for long. Their controlling style of football is obviously very efficient in terms of not just winning games but also of not giving opposition teams a sniff. But for me there has to be the appearance of some sort of contest for me to watch it and sad to say 80+% of games in the league involving City are not a contest. It's like a training drill of backs vs forwards for 90 mins. We atleast give teams a sniff and tend to give up a few chances / half chances each game.

As for playing against City I think there are 2 ways. Their defenders can be got at. The first way is best illustrated by Spurs. Play a deep defensive line to cut out the space in the passing lanes around both sides of the box. It was a common City tactic last year to try overloading one side in order to get a player in behind the defensive line so that he can square / pull back to a player ready to shoot. Once you get possession you counter quickly and effectively. Hard to do against City and there are probably only a few teams that have the players to do it. Spurs were one and I think we have the players to do it also but we have not set up that way.

The second way is to push up and pressure them up the pitch. Liverpool have had great joy doing this in the past but it is very risky. Not only do you need to press effectively, your offside line needs to be on point and you need to have excellent one on one defenders and goalkeeper if the offside line is broken. Again few teams have these qualities at their disposal and I feel the acquisition of Haaland has changed things now. City will be far better equipped at punishing a high line and if they have their 2 other forward players playing very wide they will exploit the usual forward positioning of Trent and Robertson. Our cb's and midfield will become very stretched. I would prefer us to play a bit deeper against City this year and try to nail them on the counter.

If we set up against City like we have the past few years it will be suicide now they have Haaland. I used to be amazed looking at him in Germany, the way he used to start he runs 2 sometimes even 3 yards onside and still get to the ball comfortable ahead of the nearest defenders before slotting it away. I used to put a lot of it down to the poorer German league and there's no way he could play like that and be successful in the Premier League... judging by what I seen yesterday I was very very wrong!

That controlled possession game that City execute perfectly means there's no way a team like Fulham go out and get in their faces from the off like they did to us on Saturday. They will be torn apart inside 10 minutes, obviously we're capable of doing that to teams too but I feel the opposition are more prepared to risk it against us than there are against City...This can make it very frustration when you watch someone like West Ham, Wolves, Palace etc chase and harass us like rabid dogs but sit in and except their fate when they line up against City.

I was blown away by his pace for the goal yesterday, he was a few yard onside and still ran clear of the defenders. 6ft 5, built like a brick and that pace 😲

Darwin looks an absolute handful though, I loved our 2nd goal, salah and him ran into the same space and caused havoc in fulhams defence.

City are simply better at it. They have a number of high quality technical players in midfield and forward positions that we can't match. De Bruyne, Gundogan, Silva, Mahrez, Foden. All players extremely comfortable with the ball in tight spaces, good at quick interchanging passing and moving, can turn on a sixpence and can contribute goals and assists. I think it is the main reason most teams fear committing players to attack / counter attack against them. If they are effective in tight spaces imagine how much damage they could do in space. Add in the professional fouling if a team do get a sniff of a counter against them and I can almost understand why teams do it. Really hoping Silva moves but not looking likely.

Our midfield and theirs is like chalk and cheese. Thiago is the only player we have that is comparable with the hope Carvalho and Elliot might prove to be. Fabinho could do the Rodri role and I rate him a little better.

Ya I watch a fair bit of the German league (I used to be big Dortmund fan as a kid due to an uncle living over there) and he scores a lot of goals from making runs from deep like that. I just never though that style would work over in England.

I do wonder is that Klopp's plan with Darwin is in the long run, we got caught so many time last year with teams pushing up on us with big numbers once we lost possession that having a big direct powerful threat down through the middle might give the opposition second thoughts about playing like that against us this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I think I saw Neil Jones reporting it earlier but as someone commented don't be surprised if two weeks turn into 4 weeks

Personally I would prefer us to be a little more defensively set up this season. We coughed up lots of chances last year while playing the high line and I got very uncomfortable watching situations in games where we were chasing back, whether it was played down the side, through the midfield or crossfield, and at times the attackers outnumbered our defenders. I think we are now lacking the pace and mobility in midfield to cover those gaps particularly when Robertson and Trent get caught so far forward. I'm not as confident watching us play such a high line as I used to be. We don't do the tactical fouling that City do and is another reason we get caught out more.

I can't see us changing style though, it's just not in Klopps mantra. I do agree that we need to do something different and maybe Klopp thinks Nunez is the answer. The highline was really problematic the last 7/8 games of the season last year. The tired legs was beginning to catch up on us and we coughed up so many chances in those games...there was one where we could have conceded 4 in the first half (think is was Villa). Only for Alli and poor finishing it could have been disaster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Sorted my Champions League tickets this morning. Haven't been to a game since Atletico Madrid in March 2020. Have a feeling we'll get Bayern or Real Madrid in the group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

A few rival posters on here would do well to listen to this. Much like Hillsborogh and the CL final night, people are allowed say what they like despite no evidence whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I tried listening to this earlier but was geo restricted...

Russian disinformation apparently?

An Irish “journalist” Alan Moore based in Russia. He started it writing a completely baseless article quoting an anonymous source in the club which grew legs. He was invited by BBC to participate in this programme but ignored them. Moore seems like a vile piece of work.

Athletic reporting 6 weeks this evening

Even if we go out and buy someone by the time they integrate properly Thaigo will be back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Ya Thiago would be back until his next knock. Or Henderson will be out with a niggle. Or Fabinho. No one would be surprised.

6 weeks = 7 PL matches + 2 CL matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Probably should buy a midfielder.

• Advertisement

Should have been a priorty the second the Nunez deal was done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The writing in the article itself was borderline incomprehensible too, it read like it was written by a 13 year old after too much sugar. If it didn't have such an incendiary allegation it'd have been universally laughed at - just goes to show what some people will overlook to have an opportunity to sling some mud.

Have to buy a midfielder, I know Klopp likes a tight squad but we can't have a bunch of kids playing there or Trent. We are stacked in attack and defence but midfield is lacking.

Best to give Carvalho and Elliott the chance to step up, what is the point in signing someone, when we have a squad with multiple backups, it shows a lack of faith not to give them a chance.

Post edited by BorneTobyWilde on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

In an interview with Sky a few weeks ago Klopp did say there would be no more ins unless there where outs or injuries. The injuries are now starting to pile up so maybe we'll see something happen. But Klopp did also say that if anymore midfielders come in that affects the playing time of the existing eight midfielders and you would think Klopp backs the existing ones bar Ox based on how the second half of last season went for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

More like 2+4 weeks

Or maybe 2x4 weeks...

And people wonder why I've never warmed to him. He's just too unreliable for me to be bothered about him.

Yeah I don't follow him on twitter but it came up on my timeline. James Pearce and Paul Joyce much more reliable for Liverpool news

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

What's so frustrating is that this situation was so utterly predictable. I love Thiago but not a hope in hell he plays 40+ games a season. Ditto Keita.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Advertisement
Advertisement