Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder Rates

Options
  • 02-08-2022 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Never had to hire a childminder before so just wondering what parents are being charged per day to mind children, getting very differing rates and im not sure what the national or local averages are. My child is 8 months old. Based in Drogheda but would like to hear daily rates from whatever region youre in, thanks a mil

UPDATED INFO: cash, in their home, not a business, food supplied, 9-5, im being quoted 70 per day

Post edited by sipherlucian on

Comments

In their home or yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,555 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Very much depends on the setup (their home or yours, cash, fully regulated business etc, location, number of hours, is food supplied etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sipherlucian

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

my wive minds 3 kids .....10 & 8 &and 6 and is getting 25 euro per hour ( cash ) thats in Cork

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

40-50ish+ per day, minimum.We are in North Co Dublin.40eur would probably on the lower side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Is she minding other children?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

We paid 40 per day in 2017 for our first and supplied dinner. It increased to 65 when we sent our second child. They are minded in the childminder s home with a number of other children, at least five of them. She doesn't do dropping or collecting. Now our children are in ECCE and primary school so it is reduced those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

She needs to up her rates too cheap altogether.

Well minding Kids is a big responsibility and is undervalued by a lot of people , pay monkeys and you get peanuts !

• Advertisement

Should ve read peanuts and you get monkeys lol ......😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Agreed, people don't get paid enough with the energy and responsibility required to mind children, at the same time I feel bad for parents because having children can be so costly

im not trying to get into a debate over payments, nor am i suggesting that they are overpaid or overvalued, simply trying to get an average cost for a minder as i have no experience with hiring them before

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭raxy

I'm paying 7/hour for a 4yr old. When we were sending 2 it was 5/hour. In Clondalkin.

Childminder is very good. Collects them in the morning & I collect on my way home. We only pay for the hours she's there too so during ecce term it's cheaper.

She is minding ~6 kids in her home & has a 2nd childminder there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

How much would you expect to pay someone to come to your home to look after 2 kids as well as her own child? Probably for 3-4 hours a day

We are in a rural village in the South so not willing to pay Dublin/Cork prices.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Someone coming to your home is more awkward to price, as they are a nanny rather than a childminder, and you are supposed to treat them like an employee (at least the minimum wage, employer PRSI etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Yeah but the vast majority don't.

I know Dublin prices are €12-€15 an hour for two kids, €14-€16 for three.

A rural village is different. I'm not sure what the discount would be, but I'd expect to pay around €9/10 an hour. Less if you were dropping the kids at the childminders house as she would like have three or four other kids. I don't think it makes a difference whether she was bringing her own child or not.

I realise that's below the minimum wage, but its cash in hand and only 3-4 hours a day. It's not like they are expected to be there 8.30-6.30.

Wow. Way to devalue the person you are expecting to look after your children.

Doesn't matter where in the country you are, you're paying for someone's time and childminding is a big responsibility. €9 an hour to look after 2 kids? Don't be a cheapskate.

Oh, and yes, if someone comes to your home, you are an employer, and legally obliged to pay at least minimum wage per hour and register. Piss off your childminder and you could find yourself reported to Revenue.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement