Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

No doubt the DLB's thought provoking critique will once again leave Beatles fans re-thinking the entire history of popular music, with insightful comments like "I'm a McCartney guy" or "I've seen McCartney for free nine times".

Or maybe he'll regale listeners with the story about the time he (the fella who HATES invasions of privacy) took pictures of himself with McCartney despite having been asked not to - such a display of respect after receiving free tickets to a historic show in the Cavern.

Yep, I never get tired of hearing what this absolute class act has to say about the Beatles 🤮

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I thought Marty was in good form today.

Also I saw in the papers that the eponymous RT show is up in the JNLR figures again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Great, Oliver Callan deserves a big clap on the back then as he hosted it as much as Tubs did since Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Is there any chance that Marty has left the safe and comfortable bosom of the RTE staffer position and gone into the contractor world?

He's practically living on 'Binty Byrne's women's hour' show...which is always a bad sign

Just sayin...

EDIT: I see he's with Carol & Associates

Post edited by Gen.Zhukov on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I understand Callan in for Tubridy this week?

……..interesting

• Advertisement

• Callan handles the format well, without the moral lecturing.

Or daily cancer/death/terminal illness section.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Oliver’s attitude is “this is a light fluffy format, we’re not going to take ourselves seriously, and I’ll take the p1ss a wee little bit out of RTÉ and the whole shebang when the opportunity arises.”

Tubs still away re-charging the batteries I see. He's putting Duffy to shame with the holidays this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The top names seem to get most of the summer months off at rte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Life is much better overall when they are gone....

No puff pieces put out by NKM in whatever rag takes their bait.....

Wait until Tubridy comes back......

REFRESHED AND EXCITED ABOUT THE UPCOMING SEASON.....

big new plans about this or that...all will be revealed......blah blah...toy show plans....

Just put a bullet in my brain please.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

It's all part of Dee's master strategy that absolutely nobody will see through - Fees paid out to one of the top 10 = down (well done Dee, well done) Fees paid out for producing show (not available to public) = the same - Cost to the poor suckers that have to pay for it = the same

Total savings for the suckers = SFA.

Three card trick

Maybe she has highly paid personal special advisers or paying for external consultants advice? It seems to be happening across the board with the top 10 and their massive holidays.

Something just doesn't sit right with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭leath_dub

somebody really needs to do an FOI request on the eact nature of the links between NK management and RTE. Quite the symbiotic relationship going on there. Even when the "top" talent is away, NK manage to slot in another vrom the stable - meaning they still get paid their cut no matter who's on the air.

I've wondered aloud and aloud on boards on this previously, and on more than one occasion.

My theory is the following:

Year 1: Let's take a random presenter, let's call him John Bluffy. John gets cheques totaling say €400,000 per year for 160 shows, or €2,500 per show.

Top 10 Earners report comes out. Media Frenzy. "We need to do something about this". 🙄

Year 2: John's contract sees his fee per show rise with inflation and built-in increments etc. to €2,750. John "works" for 135 shows this year taking home a nice €371,250. So for approx 20% less work and an extra 5 weeks off he comes out with approx. 90% of the previous years earnings.

Dee Forbes Press Release: "We've reduced fees right across the board, John Bluffy for example went from €375,000 to €371,250"

The devil is in the detail and the key point I've always stressed on these figures - which we of course never get to see - is the fee per show. I'd imagine that would make for very interesting reading.

Another point I'd be very interested in exploring is not so much what the Top 10 make - I'd be very interested in seeing what No.'s 11-200 make; because I'd be willing to bet there's a huge cohort of those on very similar six-figure sums that have no logic or basis in the commercial reality of a state funded media operation.

And don't forget - we normally get the Top 10 earners report 2 years (sometime 3!) after the money has been paid, so we're always way behind on these numbers.

Since Feb this year, I have emailed a TD that sits in the PAC suggesting that there needs to be an investigation of this relationship. This was cc'd to another TD that used to sit on the PAC.

Below are the replies I received -

I recently mailed another TD that also has connections to the PAC pointing out that (paraphrased) RTE are a shambles and there is something strange between them and NKM.

Funnily enough, I'm still waiting for a reply.

So there ya have it folks. Scared of their sh!te of poking the big bear.

Post edited by Gen.Zhukov on

Great points and well put. Top 10 were supposed to be reduced by 15% for 2020. If that had actually happened, they would've been in a big rush to get that into the public domain. But no, Aug 2022 and we're still waiting, so things did not go according to plan me thinks.

You'll just love this...I saw a post on the site (uncorroborated) that Lotto Ryan is on c.80k

Can't see those replies - could you repost? Or send via PM?

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Advertisement

I think the point was that there were no replies, or perhaps I am reading it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Another puke inducing self praise piece in RSVPlive

https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/rtes-ryan-tubridy-going-extra-27708717

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Kildare1976

5 weeks off and the best he can do to open the show is bang on about how he hates words like super and journey.

What a jaded idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

shurly he could bring ABBA to the mountain:

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Toy Show Toy Show Toy Show

“I don’t mind too much talking of it”

• Earlier he said he keeps a pair of glasses almost in every room. Well on your salary, Ryan, you can afford multiple pairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Toy show applications open. In mid August. Puke

More Toy show references now. The lack of self awareness is staggering. For your information, Ryan, the Toy show is sh1te, has been sh1te since you landed the gig and should be called the Variety Show as there are bugger all toys featuring on it.

Good luck with The (cashing in) Musical , Ryan 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Don’t forget the added stress with the musical at Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

Couldn’t believe he mentioned the Toy show within first 10 mins of being back, even the kids here rolled their eyes, he’s so self absorbed, no one wants to hear anything about it until nearer the time, that’s what made it special years ago - totally overblown now. Let them work away at it in the background but stop inflicting every update on us. I just realised how much I enjoyed the break from him for last few weeks.

I'm genuinely shocked to hear he was back today after only 5 weeks off this time. He had more time off on this break alone than most people get in a year, and this was his (at least) 4th break.

Re. the Toy Show and him mentioning it - come on, are you surprised? It gets a mention in almost every show, as early as the first show of the year in January this year for example, and almost every show since. It's a very rare thing when it's not mentioned.

As for "The Toy Show, The Musical", I really feel this is very exploitative and both unnecessary and irresponsible by RTE. Families are under enough pressure financially at this time of year without the added pressure and peer pressure of wanting to attend this. The cost of living increases are visible daily and we are facing into a dark winter and imminent recession. Sadly I feel that it is those who can least afford it who will feel the need to attend this vanity project. The cost for say a family of 4 when you include travel, food and accommodation if required would be ghastly, and at a very expensive time of the year. I really feel this is in extremely poor taste.

Tickets start at €25 per person, and variously go to €35, €45, and €50 per person with ALL tickets having an additional €2.50 per tickets fee. So a family of 4 will cost a minimum of €110 and up to €210.

I'd be very interested to know if Tubs/NK have a financial interest in this production btw- anyone with any knowledge of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Lets just hope Toyshow : the musical its a monstrous flop and they all get burnt (financially & reputationally).

• JOE

Cat-napping in Carlow

Silent e-cars killing burds

WatsApp scam!!

…… de feline is open now

or should dat not be de fat fee line?

• Advertisement

• ^^^^ wrong thread 😂

‘Toy Show The Musical’ has been created and produced by Late Late Show producers Jane Murphy and Katherine Drohan and will begin on December 10, during the Christmas panto season.

Created and developed by RTE, no information readily available as to finances, would assume Tubs has a stake.

The main man won't be performing though:

He said: "Now I know what you’re thinking!Ryan…the Toy Man… you’re a fine dancer! And yes, it’s true, I can hold a tune too. But I’m not in it!! I will be using my skills to great effect on the Late Late Toy Show, the regular one, on the TV in November, which will be bigger and better than ever before.

"So, how about we leave the theatre stage to the theatre actors! And wishing the very best of luck to all of the brilliant team involved there."

Do you get a commission/referral fee for posting that?

• Advertisement

Tubs ever so modest in describing his singing and dancing skills, as well as throwing in a casual completely deliberate and calculated self-anointed "Toy Man" reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The "Toy Man" moniker is creepy as fùck.....

Like Jimmy Savilles..."Jim'll fix it....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

"Love Yourself Today"

Nice chat with Damian Dempsey and Ross Killeen on this morning's show.

Loved the shout out from Pajo on Infirmary Road to his mate Damo.

If you haven't seen the film it's on RTE 1 at 10.15 on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nah mate, luvvie central.

Cant abide that stuff.

Soz.

Tubs today is going to tell us about the Irishman who designed the White House. I'm delighted this is being covered for the first 1 millionth time on Irish radio.

I'm actually a big fan of architecture and interesting buildings, but how many times do we need to hear this story. What new insight will Tubs bring? Nothing of course, just another time filling slot.

Tubs certainly has no problem loving himself, and regaling us with tales of his general awesomeness (and kindness).

I almost wish my standards and expectations of quality were as low as yours. Oh to be so easily amused.

Tubs has never been on a roller coaster. Cue closing Tayto Park for a private ride.

"Obviously" he says "there will be footage of it"

Why obviously? Could you possibly do something in your life without doing it for likes and sharing on Insta purposes?

Now Tubs telling us a story about his imaginary conversation with a banana sandwich. You couldn't pay for this quality broadcasting. Well, you could - it's a snip at just €500,000 per year.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Tubs should be given Das Boot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement