Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Take sale agree to closing and then and add 6 weeks for stamp duty to be paid. That would be 4 to 5 months typically. Add in the period of time the property was on the market before that and you are looking at the latter end of last year as the time of the bidding war. The methodology may be sound but it lags the market by between 6 and 9 months. The outbreak of the Ukraine war didn't stop people bidding in any event, noir would it have resulted in sellers dampening their expectations immediately on it happening. Evidence of a softening market will only show in the statistics long after the market has turned. In 2006, the market turned in early summer but the statistics continued to show rising prices into 2007 and no significant fall in orices until 2008. By the time the statistics show a trend it will have been well under way for about 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Well your exception I have bought and sold and 5 family members have done the same not one sale or purchase done in less than 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

You can have a decent solictor, but if the other partys one is a gobshite, then your powerless. You can always try to threaten to pull the sale if it doesnt proceed in a timely manner, but would need to be prepared to take your chances going back to market.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

That's true and to be fair I would be familiar with cash purchases which will always be quicker when it comes to closing. Worth keeping in mind that a significant number of purchases are cash, it was 40%'ish in 2020, not sure what it's at these days. You'd expect cash buyers to represent a quarter of the market or there abouts, but it's been higher in more recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Might be off-topic, but what exactly is a cash buyer these days?

Is it someone who has the cash in the bank, or someone who has no chain (they don't need to sell another house for the initial purchase to succeed.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭DubCount

Presumably many cash buyers would still be in a chain though. Selling their mortgage free house. Unless the suggestion is that the 40% cash buyers suggested above have actual cash sitting around in a bank account ready to buy (which is hard to believe)

A chain free buyer getting a mortgage would surely be a better prospect for a seller than a mortgage free buyer in a chain

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

A big chunk of cash buyers are institutional - i.e. REIT's, local authorities and so on. Not necessarily stuck in a chain. Some of the local authorities in particular are fairly quick to close, especially when they are buying in developments where they have already previously purchased properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭eusap

A big problem still in the market is people overbidding on property and then the bank says no to the valuation, this is leading to property being relisted and taking longer to sell. Unless the owners are sensible and accept a reasonable offer that the buyers bank will accept it becomes a cycle of Sale Agreed back on market

• Registered Users Posts: 16,684 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I've seen bidding wars going absolutely insane recently on certain properties. Estate agents are fueling this, I think some people who lost out during the peak of the market last year have saved up and are happy to come back and pay 2021 prices immediately, which is having knock on effects on price expectations in some areas.

That said some properties are selling for under asking price just down the road and there's no real rhyme or reason to which properties have bidding wars, which sell under asking and which sit there with no bids at all.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 ecjjaian

Hi nullzero. Out of interest, are you a current buyer or do you have some other involvement in the market. I've seen you giving a couple of interesting updates recently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

I am not aware of this being a 'big problem still in the market' at all?

As far as I am aware, based on discussions I've had with agents, properties are being relisted mainly due to financing falling over on part of the purchaser (eg unable to demonstrate income requirements or gather deposits) and not from banks not accepting valuations.

Its one thing for a valuation not to confirm the sale agreed price (which is what the process is for), but for a bank to not accept the valuation would bring into question the Valuer themselves. There was talk of the potential of this early on in the pandemic with 10% reductions, but it didnt eventuate as house prices continued to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

I wonder is it referencing people who go sale agreed for over 3.5x and are subsequently denied the requisite exemption? I know that's not what it says but it would make more sense.

• Administrators Posts: 53,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is definitely not the case.

The bank valuation is a box tick, making sure the property actually exists and is in the condition described.

°°°°°

Current buyer.

My experience is that the market is extremely mixed and there are people who lost out during the peek of last years market who are coming back now with the money they've saved since last year and pumping the prices up again somewhat artificially.

At the same time some properties are receiving little or no interest from anybody. The vendors in those situations seem happy to wait it out.

The drop off that was being seen in selling prices is in one area I'm looking at, is now being reversed a little but the majority of other people I'm seeing at viewings aren't willing or able to pay the 2021 prices the outliers are offering to take houses off the market in one or two situations.

If everything stays the same I'd say it'll be next year before vendors expectations come in line with reality. There's a lot of vendors happy to have a house up for as long as possible to get that dream offer but most properties are nowhere near their expectations in terms of current bids.

A few are going sale agreed only and coming back on the market because the buyers couldn't secure finance. A number of people seem determined to win bidding wars but lack the actual capacity to pay for the house when push comes to shove.

Glazers Out!

• Administrators Posts: 53,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think the last sentence describes what happens most often.

People are bidding and lack the discipline to walk away when it goes beyond their budget. Maybe they go an extra 20 or 30k thinking they'll be able to squeeze that out of the bank / get it from someone in the family, but ultimately it doesn't materialize and they have to pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ecjjaian

Your point about sellers being happy to wait it out match up to my initial experiences, have an offer in under asking that I think is a decent one. I would go a little higher, but sellers are saying they wont even talk below asking, so right now I just have to let it sit with them. I've heard from local agents that there will be more houses than usual coming to market in the september selling season so that might motivate a few vendors to make previously undesirable decisions. Having said that, when banks start doing exceptions again for Q4 it could ramp up prices all over again.

This is the worst, really immature behaviour and so inconsiderate. I intentionally have avoided bidding near the fringes of my budget because I know I'm just driving up the price for the next guy who will actually see it through, as well as setting a new high water mark on the property price register. We are competing against each other for available stock but there should be some level of consideration for others involved

°°°°°

Some people just want to win the bidding war which is more down to their own psychological make up than anything tangible.

The cases where valuation is out of sync with an agreed bid exist but they're in the minority, I wouldn't be surprised if the same people bidding more than they can afford are willing to pretend the valuation was the issue In an attempt to save face.

Glazers Out!

A few are going sale agreed only and coming back on the market because the buyers couldn't secure finance. A number of people seem determined to win bidding wars but lack the actual capacity to pay for the house when push comes to shove.

I've seen this a few times as well. In Ireland, there is no penalty for going sale agreed and then not going ahead with the sale because you cant back it up. In other states like NZ and Australia, if you bid at the auction for a house and then you cannot get finance, you have massive penalties for wasting people's time. Therefore there, if you bid, you best be damm sure you can back it up with proper finance.

Here in Ireland, people can bid up the price and pull out, no questions asked. It's all a bit odd tbh because the market was/is so tight with supply.

The only thing I can see breaking these 'bids for the sake of it' is more supply which seems to be happening looking at numbers on daft and myhome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭amacca

Christ that's such stupid behaviour.....I'd never bid up a property on someone...can there be that many morons?....

• Advertisement

I thought that too, but some people I know mentioned that a FTB with AIP and a healthy deposit is also a cash buyer because they are ready to go, with no chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The consensus from an estate agent I was talking to in Cork city is anything up to 400k isnt dropping, anything above is. Not much first time buyers outside of that 400k ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

So as long as banks a) only enter into discussions about exemptions after SA, and b) are limited (10% i think) in how much of their book can be exempted purchases, this will persist i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is the same here if you bid at auction and can't complete. You lose 10% of the amount bid and potentially more. At private treaty a bid is accepted "subject to contract " and either buyer of seller can pull out before contracts are signed.

I guess in Australia/NZ auctions are much more common, so you have to have your wits around you.

Here because of the shortage of housing and lots of covid cash about the place, the bidding process is kind of like an auction by proxy, without the safeguards and due process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Just out of interest, new build or 2nd hand?

Cash buyers?

We bought recently and the vendors solicitors dragged it on for months - anecdotally it seems to be the case for most also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Currently buying and I'm seeing the same craziness as above. That gaff I viewed in Inchicore (few pages back), opening bid was 485k and current highest bid is 695k. Asking was 495k. In my mind, the house itself is maybe just about worth the asking, but the current highest offer is completely wild. For example, the bathroom has no external window, it was added later (an outhouse originally given the house's age) and the window from it opens out on to the stairs. There's no way to extend the building either and it's only 100m2 or there about.

The interesting thing is watching the bidding war unfold. It seems there's two interested parties. The first one bids in small increments, but the second does so in increments of 10-20k. For example, bidder 1 offers 2k over last bid, then bidder 2 goes 10k. And so on. All was quiet at 670k for weeks, then bidder 1 offered 675k, which was immediately countered by 685k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Folk are crazy. There's another gaff near to me that is in a complete state. Needs entire internal renovation which would cost a minimum of 100k on a good day. It's a mid terrace with a large back garden, ex council job, about 70m2 in Nutgrove. In the real (pre bubble) world worth about 350-400k in a good state. Even similar gaffs in the area are only hitting 480k ish now with extension, etc.

Listed at 380k and opening bid was 360k. Next bid comes straight in at 380k. When you factor in the renovation costs and hassle the place is now over even the current value of similar properties.

The vendor will now most likely hold tight and wait for higher offers. Surely the thing to do is slowly increment bids when you're looking at this type of property, not blow your load immediately.

In the end the place will end up costing the buyer significantly more than one they would buy that was in good condition, extended and so on out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

France is the same neither party can back out and for kicks and giggles, if you offer the asking price the seller has to take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

In my opinion there is no softening.

Some 3 bed properties which require a lot of work to make livable aren't moving.

If its a 4 bed (in need of work or not) or a turn-key 3 bed its crazy.

We probably do need to have sale agreed contracts in this country where if you pull out you forfeit the booking fee. Same should apply to the seller. Both parties should have to deposit a booking fee.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement