Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Apparently he's trying to use his enrollment with Hibernia College as his reason for needing relocation, even though it is an entirely online course with the exception of the occasional 5 hours on a Saturday F2F in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

From a Galway club point of view this is terrible but this is the end of him. I have yet to see this work out for most players that move from his natural club. Sure we had Vaughan do it on more ridiculous grounds and see where it got him. I do wonder about guys like this when in their prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

He must be getting plenty of €€€€€ to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If that's true, he's making a joke of the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Hope he doesn't get the transfer or if he does that he wins nothing (like Vaughan I think?) , it sets a bad precedent for small clubs across the country. I'd be livid if say Oisín Mullin did something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

In theory, could he technically play for Dublin if he wanted??

I know it's highly unlikely to ever happen in such a high profile case but would be interesting to see if someone pushed hard for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yes

same as Declan Darcy did

He can only play for a Dublin club as he has “relocated” up there

So yes he can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Difference being that Declan Darcy was actually a Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

Darcy was/is a Dublin boy who happened to play down in Leitrim. Dublin don't take blow ins into the county team and even when thinks were bad it was never entertained. Zero chance he ever plays for Dublin but he's pissed off a lot of folks I'd say

• Advertisement

4 applicants confirmed on mayo news twitter, no details yet of backroom teams for Dempsey or Shaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

No offenses to them but not a ticket that would have me confident of nailed on football long into the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

England Flasher Tim has Dempsey's management team as Galvin, McConville & Keith Higgins

What kind of process would that involve km?

Would it be similar to a club transfer where there could be objections etc. from the "former" county?

Or does the fact that a player was allowed to play for a club in a new county leave the door wide open to play for that county as well?

Talking to a lot of people round the county about who should get it, the public choice seems to be a two horse race between Dempsey & McStay.

I've yet to meet anyone who has said they'd like to see Shaw get the gig and I'm working in Castlebar.

A lot of people saying that McStays team will cost more than Dempseys and that will decide it, I know we can't discount money but I hope it doesn't come down to that.

OTB made the point that the talk of bringing in a proven manager to Mayo is nonsense, we've had a proven manager before and look what happened. That it will take very little to tip us over the edge

I think there can be very little complaint if any of Solan, Dempsey or McStay get it, they all seem good options with reasons for going for them and reasons for not going for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

We're not far away from the top prize at all.

What we need is our full squad available,the new management team to be able to maintain the standards of the last 10 years and a bit of luck.If we get these things we're in the shake up.

Football at the really top level is such fine margins,Mayo were not playing well and completely decimated by injuries yet lost to Galway by a point.Galway get a bit of momentum and a handy run and they're in the All Ireland final.Really small margins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I think buckley is the key. We seem to have have lost the art of the tackle with players retiring. Get him back in and get that back into the players again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Yes, but the galway team that won in castlebar would have been annillated by kerry.... Big games particularly in croke park are critical for a teams development.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I don't think that's true. Look back at the Dublin semi final last year and it was Ryan and Tommy winning a few turnovers in the middle third that led to us getting level and eventually winning the game. Neither of those 2 worked with Buckley. Even the Kerry QF this year, we turned them over loads of times (Eoghan McLaughlin in particular). Obviously it didn't lead to much then but that's a separate point.

I'm sure Buckley is a good coach but I would have reservations bringing someone back who was there for so long already.

100%

Momentum is crucial.

Mayo fell over the line against Derry and Cork after extra time on their way to losing to Dublin by a point in the final in 2017.

As I said momentum and luck are two of the biggest factors (amongst the really elite teams)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Why is Ballinrobe Ballina 1/4 final off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭freddie_

Game was fixed for a Friday evening at 7.30 In Ballina and a good few of the Ballinrobe players were travelling from Cork and Dublin where they work and couldn't make it. Crazy decision to fix it for a Friday by the county board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

very intrigued like the rest of the country to hear what jimmy sloyans choice is .... are all yer phones gone dead up there or ye are all barred from the shamrock in Claremorris 😀

i imagine he is totally against the appointment of the priest kisser from ballina 😂

surly he must be in favor of a return to management of john maughan , a former soldier from his minor days that dosent have gold rimms around him or an army cadet, and a man that already produced more miracles then our lady of knock back in 92 , an entire county stood up of its wheelchair and walked for the first time in 60 years ,

also the fact that Maughan didnt hit him an unmerciful wallop in that famous east mayo centenary cup final must be a plus , and just for the record while north Charlestown and balahadreen touch east mayo they never qualified for the worlds greatest junior competition

• Advertisement

I've seen the clips but have no idea who he actually is. For me that may be part of the intrigue! I've heard he's Kiltimagh side but that's all I know.

I'd love to be in his company for one of his rants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Kiltimagh man alright and a fine footballer in his day

He played minor for Mayo too. There was a clip going around of a goal he scored for Mayo there a while ago but I wouldn't know where to find it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Being honest I think it's bad form the manner in which his rants are shared on social media. Making a fool out of him in that manner when he has (from what I can see) either some issues with mental health or alcohol abuse is not cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

I think he's gas and in fairness there's a Jimmy in most locals in the county except unlike most he's played the game at a high level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I think that might be a harsh assessment of him but I feel it's bad form how the recordings are always taken from a sneaky angle, indicating that he may not be aware or consent to the recording.

No doubt there is. I think his single appearance in Mayo colours as a sub in a minor game in 1980 has perhaps elevated his stature a bit too much.

I see your point. I've always taken him as a bit of a character with a serious knowledge of Mayo GAA. He hasn't struck me as having mental health or alcohol problems though, just being half cracked.

Still no sign of AOS for Breaffy, @PARlance any inside info?

Negotiations ongoing. Kilmacud close to meeting Breaffy's asking price. Player and agent to agree travel expenses. #AnseoTáimidAgDul 🔵⚪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I feel #araghaidhlinn would work better there but solid effort otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The man lives and breathes GAA, had a few chats with him a few years ago, used to drink in my local, yes he gets a bit ott at times but his heart is in the right place. he was a class underage player, i was just a kid at the time but used love watching him play. Lost a county U-16 final heavily to mc Stay's Balina, dont know if there is some residue from that 😃

That's a fair aul commute from Allergan to Stillorgan for training after work. A kind of inverse Shane Walsh

• Advertisement

I see Donegal have no nominations for their top job

Things could always be worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i agree , hes in every pub in the country , thats why people love listening to him because he reminds us of someone we know or work with that goes that little bit overboard , in truth i think he was spot on , on several issues regarding mayo football over the last few years , its easy look half cracked when you are 3 sheets to the wind though .

Was at the Ballina v Knockmore game yesterday, enjoyable game overall and nice to get the win. Ballina will probably feel that they should have been closer considering the possession they enjoyed but they had some very bad wides in the 2nd half which scuppered them. Overall, I felt Ballina's style yesterday was very similar to Mayo at their worst, handpassing the ball slowly up the field and not much end product - if they don't have something better for the championship, they'll be beaten by any team with a decent defensive system. McStay (11) looked very good for Ballina, excellent on the ball and great balance in close contact, would like to see him getting a run for Mayo in the league. Feeney (13) also did well.

Knockmore on the other hand had much less of the ball but moved it quickly up the pitch (aimlessly at times esp in the 1st half) and had the players able to take their scores when needed. Conall Dempsey scored a cracking goal after the ref played a very good advantage. Darren McHale came on towards the end and King was in the kick around at HT (but not fully togged I think) so it's good to see those two getting back to fitness. Cormac Reape had a mixed day, he's usually very good on kickouts but put a couple out over the line and a couple more straight to Ballina players; on the other hand, he made 3-4 very good saves which basically won the game for us.

Dempsey has named a very strong back room team I see.

Realistically the best offering is between him and McStay I would imagine.

That being the case I wouldn't be at all surprised if it goes elsewhere.

We're in a good position with the 4 tickets going for this.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out the current Mayo squad (if we can keep key players fit) are not far off winning the big one.

Take Donegal for example,they'd be considered in or around Mayos level but nowhere near the calibre of management team going for that (is there anyone going for that job?)

Its fairly obvious that twoof the tickets are far ahead of the other two.I would be happy with either Mcstays or Dempsey (based on a really top notch ticket he has put together) getting it,a nice position to be in.

I'd say there can be very few complaints around who is appointed, there is a case to be made for any of them. I know people won't be happy if their man doesn't get it but that'll always be the way. It does seem that the CB are doing it the right way, credit where its due.

Donegal sounds like a shambles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Would anyone be concerned with the personalities that are in McStays proposed management team. Just to caveat, other than Damien Mulligan, I don't know them personally - just basing an observation on what we see on media etc.

Kevin would be the top dog. Presumably we'll have Liam McHale looking for some of the limelight. And Rochford has been there before, but is now playing second fiddle. Damien Mulligan and Buckley should be ok.

I'm sure they would lay out some ground rules from the off in terms of coming to agreements on decisions. But as we know, tensions can mount if non seeing eye to eye - I guess in particular I mean McStay, McHale and Rochford. Also, Rochford and Mulligan are Crossmolina, whilst McStay and McHale are Balline. I'm sure there was no love lost over the years between the North Mayo clubs.

Maybe I am just overthinking it.

Like others here, I'd be happy enough with any of the four candidates but McStay & Dempsey are probably out in front. Are the interviews being done this week or what?

• Advertisement

Not to get all Tim on it, but there's a long way to go in the process before the CB should be credited. The easy bit of getting the nominations/teams in is done, but now the fun starts.

Can't imagine it'll be a simple process of selecting the best team. There'll be politics involved, plans/ideas on how to pay for such teams will need to be presented etc.

Advertisement