Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a watch in China

• 09-08-2022 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a watch from China that will cost me €450. Am I going to end up paying import tax on this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Duty, vat, the whole kit and caboodle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭mondeo

An approximate figure ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,508 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I was in contact with the shop in China and they said usually for EU customers they ship their items directly to the UK first, then from there to said EU country potentially avoiding import duties. This sort of thing seems to be standard practice for Chinese companies dealing directly with private customers from what I have read online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

Brexit may make that path more difficult though. UK is outside the EU now, import duties can apply I would have thought.

• Advertisement

I think it may work out cheaper then the item coming directly to me. I really don't know unless I take a chance with it.

you will pay the same vat and duty whether it comes direct from china or via the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

If they told me this

I was in contact with the shop in China and they said usually for EU customers they ship their items directly to the UK first, then from there to said EU country potentially avoiding import duties. This sort of thing seems to be standard practice for Chinese companies dealing directly with private customers from what I have read online.

Then I'd be wary of buying from them, they obviously just want the sale. Ask them to commit to refunding any taxes/import duties you incur if they're so confident and see what they say.

i wouldn't even go with that. hat are the chances they will actually refund you? you have no way to enforce it.

The seller has been highly recommended and seems to be very business orientated with returning customers all around EU. Read alot about them on chinese watch forums. Seller told me today they usually send the watch directly to a UK handler they frequently deal with where it will then be "repackaged as a UK origin item" and sent onto the EU buyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They're not reputable if they illegally repackage the items as UK origin. Dodgy practice at best. You'd still have VAT charges anyway.

I haven't a clue about imported products that are not designed for sale in the EU. I just fancied having a unique piece. Maybe it's not worth the hassle and I should just go buy something interesting on Amazon from someone who already did the import process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Have you a link to the watch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

hmmm...

€450 for a watch made in china.

That alone would set alarms ringing.

Remember you have absolutely ZERO comeback if anything goes wrong.

and its very easy to populate forums and reviews with glowing language.

Advertisement