Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I do all the side missions which offer decent gameplay. So all the narrative ones or ones that are just fun diversions. Anything that's a collectathon or randomly generated collect X amount of animal pelts can get in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bit of both. Generally just do some side missions as they pop up, but don't focus too hard on them. It can depend on a lot of things; if side missions have XP or weapon/gear rewards that I might need, do they feel worthwhile story-wise, do they sound quick and easy enough or are right beside me that I may as well just do it...

It's usually a mix, but if they just feel too much like busywork or little-to-no rewards or point to them, I might just skip. Do whatever ones I might need to do to keep my XP or gear up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Collectathons are the worst aspect of AAA open world gameplay that needs to die in a fire. Their close cousins being the checkpoints to "liberate". Obviously the UbiSandboxes are the worst offenders of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

A mix of both. That said, I have found that a lot open world AAA games have really struggled to nail the balance and reward system that interplays between side missions and the mainline story. A lot of this is largely down to the bloat of "things to do". Far Cry 6, which I largely enjoyed to a point, is a prime example of this as within a few hours of the game, you essentially had the best weapons and top 10% of gear available to you, which meant there was little reward in doing side missions outside of the desire to complete the game and worse, the side missions then became irritatingly easy, boring and utterly devoid of challenge for no worthwhile reward. Some of the older AC games had a lovely balance of it but Ubisofts push to include content in every square inch of the game has tipped the balance in the wrong direction.

I found that Ghost of Tsushima (which you mentioned earlier) had a nice balance of both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Depends if I'm enjoying the gameplay. I used to try and get as much side stuff out of the way before focusing on the main story. If there were weapon or XP rewards from the side stuff I'd enjoy being OP for the main.

Now I try and avoid being a completionist and ignore the box-ticking needless padding. It's lousy when the only reward is +0.3% to your overall completion score.

• Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ghost of Tsushima was great because you didn't have a ton of pointless side quests thrown at you just to pad out the game or waste your time for a few hours.

It's not like Assassins Creed.

Was possibly my favourite game on the PS4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it did feel like one of the better ones, a bit like Horizon without the awful dialogue. I just can't bring myself to play those games. The combat felt very Arkham Asylum/Assassin's creed as well which I'm not a big fan of. I recognise it's probably one of the better types of these games, I just know it's not for me and Breath of the Wild/Elden Ring make me expect more from these games.

GoT is the only one of those games I've been able to finish for a long time. Horizon I really struggled with and eventually gave up.

The combat IMO is much better than the other game, some of the duels especially I think they really nailed fighting with a katana.

I'd say GoT is like a linear open world game. You can roam about and do some missions in different order, but really it's a linear straightforward mission list and that's what appealed to me. I can find genuine open world games to be overwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It depends on the game, Far Cry 3, i did almost everything that game had to offer, main story, side missions, collectibles, it was all just great fun.

Far cry 4, main story and maybe 30% of the side stuff

Far Cry 5, I only got throught 25% of the story before ditching it.

They just kept going back to the well, doing the same old tripe, which is ironic given the origin of the whole 'definition of insanity' meme.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only 1% of Netflix's 221 million userbase are estimated to be using/playing the services game suite. Netflix have talked of expanding the library but yikes. Those can't be good numbers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They’re actually doing pretty good stuff on the mobile gaming front. Poinpy is a great little time waster; they’ve released the mobile version of the superb Into The Breach; and I believe Sam Barlow’s (Her Story) imminent Immortality is also being included. There are a few other decent recent indie games like Before Your Eyes on there as well.

Not bad little bonuses if you’re already paying a Netflix subscription tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Do any of the games they offer have an ending? I'm not a fan of the 'endless' mobile game, I like to be able to complete a game.

I downloaded Poinpy and gave it a go but it's not for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Before Your Eyes is a short narrative game, around 1-2 hours long, where the main innovation is where your device camera tracks your eyes and advances the story every time you blink. Can be finished in one sitting - I played it with a webcam on PC but it's meant to play great on mobile.

Immortality is a story game and isn't out yet, but going by Barlow's previous games it will be very much 'finishable'.

Into The Breach is a turn-based strategy / rogue-lite game and isn't really story-focused. But you can 'complete' a campaign with your chosen crew for sure.

Funny enough Poinpy does actually have an ending - it kind of sets itself up as an endless type game, but soon actually reveals there's a final goal to reach and achieve.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Thanks johnny. Maybe I was too quick to give up on Poinpy. I'll go back and give it another go.

Spiritfarer is coming to Netflix games. Brilliant game. They also bought Night School studios, creator of Oxenfree.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd stay away from Donkey Kong 64 so...

Maximum collectibles, there is nothing more about collectibles than that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was thinking, where are these Netflix games I keep hearing about. Are they only on mobile? Because I don't use Netflix on mobile so maybe that's why I haven't seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Looks great but I think I could only play it with the sound off. That Marvel "So random" dialogue is a fúcking dose...

Christ. It's basically every Japanese media property these days, a **** Isekai (basically nerd gets transported into a fantasy world and lives out a nerd power fantasy). That and the god awful Horizon style 'direlogue' has turned me right off the game. Hopefully it plays well, it is from the FF15 team???

• Advertisement

Forgot Hitler; if I ever traveled in time for an assassination, I'll bump off Joss Whedon so he never spawns that obsession with snarky, self-aware dialogue infesting hack American pop culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Horizon dialogue? Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought Horizon played it completely straight in the plot/dialogue department. As bad as Horizon's dialogue might have been (it was a game about cave people fighting metal dinosaurs so it was hardly going to inspire Bergmanesque ruminations on life), it's nothing compared to how toe-curlingly cringe that trailer was.

For the record, in an ocean of games with woeful dialogue, HZD never struck me as a particularly egregious example of the videogame sheissenspeil.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

God, that trailer will age BADLY. Gameplay looks great but the dialogue would make you vomit into your own scorn

Or it will become the norm for dialogue and age pretty well. Let's hope not.

The faux Josh Whedon quips, Aloy talking to herself and some real statement of the obvious moments just really grated on me.

I suppose it's just the style of writing that annoys me, the faux Josh Whedon style quips taken straight out of the Avengers films.

I'm not a big fan of Horizon's dialogue, but it's very different to that (awful) Forspoken trailer. If anything, Horizon's writing is extremely earnest and self-serious for the most part... whereas that Forspoken trailer is trying to be all 'ironic' and funny. Aloy may be always talking to herself, but at least she's not trying to crack jokes or quipping.

There was just something completely off about the dialogue in both Horizon games, I found it really hard to care at all about the story or any of the characters, everything seemed so wooden or something. I lost interest after a few hours in both games.

I am not sure if it was Aloy herself or just everyone she spoke to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Aside from Aloy never shutting the f*ck up during gameplay, I never found too much wrong in the dialogue during cutscenes or conversations with NPCs, no more than most other similar games. I think in general Aloy just came off and needlessly dismissive, snarky and antagonistic to everyone from the off, and the lack of dialogue options where you could respond in different ways meant her character was always like that (whereas the likes of Geralt or other RPG games, your character can be a dick at some points without your input, but you can still form your own version of the character and be less of a dick when you want to be).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Immortality

This game got 10/10 from Edge magazine and is hitting GamePass ...

• Advertisement

I played Telling lies and Her Story recently enough and they were ok but nothing particularly special. So, Immortality which looks to be very similar to those getting 10/10 is questionable for me. Maybe it has a great cast and story , who knows?

Gamepass so I'll give it a go.

Advertisement