Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No limit as in the number of people who are eligible for the medical card, in contrast to your opinion that there was any need to get people out of the system to put more in… more being our new arrivals.

You’re showing me the total amount budgeted for healthcare in 2019, but that amount says nothing about the numbers of people who are eligible for a medical card. Spending on public healthcare I have no doubt you’re aware refers to more than just reimbursement of costs to provide healthcare services to medical card holders -

The number of medical cards rose from 1,478,560 in 2009 to 1,574,507 in 2018, an increase of 6.5%.  In 2018, nearly one third (32.4%) of the population had a medical card.  

The number of GP visit cards in 2018 at 503,650 was more than four times higher than the number in 2009 of 98,325.  One in ten people had a GP visit card in 2018.  

The number of people on the drugs payment scheme dropped from 1,587,448 in 2009 to 1,290,634 in 2018, a drop of 24%.  

By 2018 just over a quarter (26.6%) of the population were in the drugs payment scheme.

There was an increase of 20% in the number of people on the long-term illness scheme between 2009 and 2018, with the numbers rising from 127,636 to 281,075.  About 6% of the populaiton were in the long-term illness scheme in 2018. See Table 4.4 and Figure 4.1.

In 2019, 31.8% of the population had a medical card, compared with 32.6% in 2009.  The age groups with the highest medical card coverage were those aged 70 years and over at 74.6% followed by those aged 65-69 years at 43.2%.  The age groups with the lowest medical card coverage were those aged 25-34 years at 19.3% and 35-44 years at 22.1%. See Table 4.5 and Figure 4.2.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-sdg3/irelandsunsdgs2019-reportonindicatorsforgoal3goodhealthandwell-being/healthcare/

Must be all them “fighting age males” 😂

Of course the money comes from somewhere, it comes from the Exchequer.

whereyourmoneygoes.ie is a great site for anyone who wants to know… well, where their money goes, as it comes from public funds, and in 2021, spending on health was down from 2019 at €21.9Bn. The other big hitters were spending on Social Protection at €30.3Bn, and Debt Servicing, EU Payments at €18.3Bn.

https://whereyourmoneygoes.gov.ie/en/2021/

We spend a paltry average of about €10Bn on Education every year. I’d be happy to see our Government spend twice that on investment in education, and they’re moving in the right direction with the help of funding from the EU for special needs education, DEIS funding increased and more schools qualifying for funding, and the the rolling out of digital technology in schools (hallefcukinglujah, not before time either, should have been done years ago!), funded again, by the EU -

https://merrionstreet.ie/minister_foley_welcomes_eu_nrrp_funding_of_63_5_million_for_school_broadband_and_digital_infrastructure_for_schools_to_support_students_at_risk_of_educational_disadvantage_through_lack_of_access_to_digital_infrastructure.170545.shortcut.html

https://rollercoaster.ie/kids/schools-education/government-gets-something-right-with-huge-investment-in-education/

https://www.fiannafail.ie/news/minister-foley-announces-32-million-major-expansion-of-the-deis-programme-incorporating-310-new-schools?hs_amp=true

I do hope that puts into perspective the amount of money provision for immigrants costs the State, and hopefully addresses some of your genuine concerns, in particular where all this money is going to come from to fund all this investment in Ireland’s future.

On a more personal level, I do hope your parents qualify again to have their medical expenses covered, and I am concerned about the fact that Ireland has an increasing elderly population that absolutely should be better provided for in terms of support and pensions and healthcare from the State, but that has nothing to do with what the State is currently spending in other areas like providing social protection for immigrants and people living in poverty who haven’t the means to provide for themselves. It’s not charity which motivates me to suggest that our Government needs to do more, it’s purely economics - invest more in our future now, and the benefits to Irish society in the future will have paid for themselves ten times over in terms of the kind of society we become. It quite literally comes down to paying it forward. Even people who have no money can make a contribution that adds value to society, and that’s far more productive than spending any time complaining about what anyone else is getting and they’re not. There’s a negative stereotype of Irish people as a nation of begrudgers, and if one were only to read this thread alone, their suspicions would be confirmed, regardless of the fact that there’s a mountain of evidence which would suggest otherwise. We’re one of the most giving and charitable nations in the world, and I wouldn’t want to change that or live anywhere else -

In 2018, 64% of Irish people helped a stranger in the month prior to interview; 64% also donated money to a good cause whilst 40% volunteered their time.

https://www.cafonline.org/about-us/media-office-news/ireland-the-most-charitable-european-country-in-the-last-decade-says-research

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40762482.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/travel/arid-40318733.html

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This is just a pure textbook example of attempts to gaslight 🤣. It has everything in it.

* You're being inappropriately emotional - Check

* You're acting like a nutcase - Check

* You're being overly agressive - Check

* You're the one deliberately blaming, shaming and villifying immigrants - Check

* I'll put you on ignore if you don't agree with me, do you really want to be ignored - Check

Post edited by Annasopra on

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It's not gaslighting to directly point out the behaviour of a poster. Perhaps you should reread the definition of gaslighting and some examples of it.. cause this isn't it.

So, I guess we can add assuming victimhood to the list, as you've shown yourself incapable of taking responsibility for what you posted. You dropped the tone of the discussion when you faced opposition... You started it, and now you're crying victim.

All the while deflecting away from the points made.

I'll stop here, because this post will likely be deleted by the mods, and/or I'll get a warning over it. No doubt you won't, in spite of the manner of your posts... but I can hardly expect you to argue in good faith, when you so rarely do it elsewhere on other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

• Advertisement

Just shy of 8,000 applications (640 in the last week of it) made under the regularisation scheme, with 1,450 already approved.

The highest number of applications came from Brazilians (1,316), while 1,074 Pakistanis, 1,019 Chinese nationals, 725 Filipinos, 373 Nigerians, 253 Indians and 241 Bangladeshis also applied.

Some 207 Egyptians, 207 Malaysians and 193 Mauritians also applied for regularisation, along with 1,506 classified as “others”.

The scheme for asylum seekers saw 2,350 applications with 1,100 already approved.

Some lovely stories and displays of joy and happiness in the article

Well done Ireland, I'm proud to call you home 😘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

A random woman in Tralee stabbed 5 times, twice in the neck the other day, lucky to be alive. It's just normalised at this stage-

Sunday World: Teenager due in court over stabbing of young woman in Kerry.

https://www.sundayworld.com/crime/irish-crime/teenager-due-in-court-over-stabbing-of-young-woman-in-kerry/1754872197.html

18-year-old Robert Bily – who is originally from Slovakia and has an address at 12 Brandon Place, Tralee – appeared before Judge Alec Gabbet at a special sitting of Limerick District Court on Tuesday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Ireland is a quiet peaceful country where murder is rare.

We are importing people from countries where crime rates and violence is much higher than we are used to here.

The most high profile murders of this past year have been from countries where people here are cheering on bringing as many in as possible.

We have posters screaming that irish men need to do more about what consent is while cheering on importing people from countries where rape is almost a pastime.

We have posters all over threads talking about bringing in hate laws and calling normal going irish people phobes when they disagree with them.

These are the same people cheering on immigration of people who absolute despise them and if they travelled to their country they would in some cases be jailed or stoned to death for being part of lgbt.

The two most high profile murders this year were from an immigrant who's culture tells him to hate gays, yet we have people here cheering on letting him into the country.

Really doesn't make sense to me why people cheer on importing people from a culture who hates them and will increase assaults and murders on them while they spend their time on here complaining irish people who mostly just disagree and pose little threat of violence with them as phobes.

• Advertisement

No country is importing or exporting people.

The rest of your post is just cherry picking bits which suit your argument and making broad generalisations from them. That’s called stereotyping and ‘guilt by association’.

Here in the West I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the concept, but it’s an idea which has served Western Civilisation well - innocent until proven guilty. It means that your stereotypes are based upon guilt by association, used to tar whole groups of people wrongly and seek to punish anyone for the wrongdoings of another based upon associating them with the person who has done wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Here in the West I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the concept, but it’s an idea which has served Western Civilisation well - innocent until proven guilty

Actually here in the west we have borders and visas and entry visas are based on a "guilty until proven innocent" principle - the one that needs a visa need to prove that they are not a threat or a burden.

Asks what am I on about cherry picking, doubles down on your cherry picking declaring it to be fact. It’s not though.

For starters, you’re specifically focusing on “high-profile” cases, which are high profile because of the circumstances involved. So much for that whole nonsense narrative that the mainstream media aren’t reporting on crimes committed by non-nationals. In reality what’s happening is the mainstream media don’t report on cases which there is nothing extraordinary or extreme about them.

But that aside, you’re actually not looking at the crime statistics themselves, and in particular homicide and other serious offences in Ireland, the vast majority of which are committed by people known to the victim. For example, the number of recorded homicides in 2020 was 73, most of those committed by men, and one third of the victims were women -

Serious crimes against the person include homicide, sexual violence and physical assault. The suspected offenders for these crimes were largely men. Of the 73 recorded Homicide offences in 2020 which have been detected by March 2022, 65 or 89% of the recorded suspected offenders were males and just 8 or 11.0% were female. Within the category of Homicide offences, 32 males (86.5%) were recorded as suspected offenders of Murder or manslaughter compared to just 5 females (13.5%). There were 33 males (91.7%) recorded as suspected offenders of incidents of Dangerous driving leading to death compared to just 3 (8.3%) for females. See Table 4.1 and Figure 4.1.

Nearly all (97.7%) of suspected offenders of detected sexual violence crimes recorded in 2020 were males. Eight out of ten (80.3%) of suspected offenders of detected physical assaults and related offences in 2020 were males. See Table 4.1

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-rcvo/recordedcrimevictims2021andsuspectedoffenders2020/recordedsuspectedoffenders2020/

In 2020, two out every three (68.8%) detected sexual violence crimes involved a male suspected offender and a female victim. This compares to a corresponding figure of 76.8% in 2019. See Table 5.1 and Figure 5.1.

Where a victim and suspected offender are recorded for a crime (i.e. for detected incidents) it is possible to link a victim and suspected offender to produce a limited profile (i.e. age and sex) of the victim and suspected offender relationship.

In Murder or manslaughter incidents recorded in 2020, the suspected offender and victim were both male in three out of four (73.0%) of cases and this was slightly lower than the rate of 74.2% which was recorded in 2019. See Table 5.1 and Figure 5.1.

In the remaining category - Attempts/threats to murder, assaults, harassments and related offences, the suspected offender and victim were male in nearly half (48.5%) of detected crime incidents. Within this category, it was much the same for Assault (49.1%) but quite different for Harassment and other related offences where the suspected victim was more likely to be female (63.0%). See Table 5.1 and Figure 5.1.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-rcvo/recordedcrimevictims2021andsuspectedoffenders2020/linkagebetweenrecordedvictims2020andsuspectedoffenders2020/

There is nobody, absolutely not a single person, who is cheering on permitting anyone into the country for the purposes of committing criminal offences. That is not a fact, it’s a bullshìt narrative you just invented.

It would be like me suggesting you should be delighted the people you’re stereotyping are immigrating to Ireland - they’ll take care of that nasty male feminist and TRA infestation you have, far more expediently than that pesky legal system we have will get rid of anyone… 😳

But that’d be arguing in bad faith.

That’s not guilty until proven innocent, as there is no assertion that anyone is guilty of committing a criminal offence against the State based upon their country of origin or their circumstances. An application for a visa isn’t an attempt to prove the applicant’s innocence of any wrongdoing, because they aren’t accused of any wrongdoing in the first place! Obtaining a visa is only a legal permit to be in the country for as long as the visa is valid. In order to deport anyone, it needs to be proven that they do not have permission to be in the country.

Although, to be fair, we've always had a guilty until proven innocent for a lot of crimes in western society. We just like to promote the idea of fairness as being a ruling point. However, in domestic violence cases the man is usually taken in for questioning even when it was the man reporting violence by his female partner. In the US, young Black men were often picked up for crimes done locally due to stereotypes and racism. There's loads of examples where racism, bigotry, sexism, etc all have swung courtrooms towards a guilty verdict, and in this age of social media/technology, people can be judged guilty before they even have their court cases.

Innocent until proven guilty is a great idea and a wonderful standard to reach for... but the reality is far different.

In regards to visas, actually not enough examination of people is really performed. Once you satisfy the economic/educational requirements, and can get a clean criminal record check, you're pretty much in the door. But that's a reflection of the attitude that we're begging people to immigrate here, rather than seeking out those with the best potential, and the most stable of circumstances. Alas, that's not going to change any time soon.

Have you ever applied for a visa? Have you even needed to prove that you aren't gong to remain in that country? Have you ever needed to prove that you are not a criminal by providing you record? If yes, what was that other than you preemptively proving that you are not going to be an illegal immigrant, i.e. proving your innocence before even having a chance to do something illegal?

What about them? https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-soldiers-undof-5836834-Aug2022/

What about them? And none of your questions are an example of having to prove innocence under the assumption of guilt that a person is guilty of any wrongdoing either.

It would be like me accusing you of not being an Eastern European immigrant at all on the basis that your command of the English language is far superior to my own. Fortunately for you I’m aware of the fact that most Eastern European immigrants command of the English language is far superior to my own 😂

Its a fact that the most high profile murders in this country this year are from backward countries.

This will get worse year on year.

No, they are not facts, and ignoring evidence which contradicts your opinions, doesn’t make your opinions any more factual than they weren’t already, certainly not to the point where your bullshìt is so compelling that it means people who are innocent are assumed guilty in Irish law by association.

For all your complaining about people coming from countries which have abhorrent laws, it appears you would wish to institute similar laws to punish innocent people if you had the authority. Thankfully, you don’t.

He says why in his post. Compatibility.

The possibility of meshing with Irish society is far higher, and the differences between us culturally/ethnically, are unlikely to create friction points leading to discrimination, racism, violence, etc.

Basically, it likely costs less investment of resources and services to host an Ukrainian than an African (immigrants.. rather than refugees). Before the Ukrainian conflict, how many NGOs were created to service the Eastern European population, vs the number of NGOs aimed at supporting Africans or those who are Black. Now, I have no idea the actual numbers involved, but considering the history of Aid to African or the place of race theory in western culture (thanks America), common sense would suggest the emphasis would be on Black people, even when Eastern European migrants far outnumber those who are Black. We could on and point out a wide range of reasons why Eastern Europeans are better as immigrants to a country with a predominate White population.. but there's little point. People want to rail at the injustice of it all, rather than deal with the hard practicalities involved.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted

This thread is nothing to do with Ukrainians so please move on from that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭pauly58

Ireland is making every mistake that was made in England & certain people think the end result will be different, it won't.

I saw it all start in the early seventies & now the areas I grew up in are unrecognizable & indeed after dark, no go areas.

Local people moved out, not because they are intrinsically rascist, but because English was no longer the main language in schools & their children were getting behind.

Gangs & knife crime are common place, but it's all been a great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What's with black Irish lads and apparent London accents? This evening a big group in the local store standing there forcing London accents at each other. What's the story with that? They must have to work hard to keep it up. 'Bruv', 'Innit'...

Funny cause every now and then it goes back to a Dublin accent when they lose concentration 😁 Gas

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

The irony is women are those who vote for this immigration, and women suffer the consequences, LOL!

Rubbish. How many of us have voted for "this" immigration?

The electorate is not allowed to vote on issues such as these. Political parties are voted in, but their agendas aren't restricted to what is proposed during the election campaign.

The simple truth is that this all comes down to what politicians want. It's not "women". It's not "men". It's the politicians, and the various lobbies they pander to.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

A nebulous and obscure but vaguely obtainable sense of belonging based on race. Irish-Africans parrot British-Africans for the exact reason that British-Africans and West Indians parrot African-Americans - they represent a culturally relevant (i.e. culturally prominent) racially identical community in the “West”. To a lesser extent even French-Africans, despite linguistic distance, mimic African-Americans viz. the popularity of the NBA, attributable, in part at least, to French immigrant communities from Sub-Saharan Africa. Cultural commentators tend to reduce this phenomenon to cultural and social marginalisation but, academic politicking aside, I suspect that this phenomenon would persist regardless. Irish-Africans are, predominantly, the product of lax asylum policy and Jus Solis citizenship policy, in contrast to African-Americans that were the product of colonial chattel slavery or even British and French-Africans that were (originally at least) arguably the product of economic migration born of a colonial legacy, Irish-Africans are less a product of egregious victimisation than they are of egregious opportunism. In Ireland, that purported fabric of colonial cultural and social marginalisation is beyond threadbare.

It's racism, that's what it is. They feel closer to those foreigners from London just because they have the same skin colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mustardorcustard

"Multiculturalism" is a nonsensical term invented to cover the extraction of profit via the destabilisation of society.

It's this era's colonialism, and history will state it as such.

in contrast to African-Americans that were the product of colonial chattel slavery or even British and French-Africans that were (originally at least) arguably the product of economic migration born of a colonial legacy,

And yet, most of them have zero experience of colonial matters within their country's history or culture, beyond the most superficial of connections. ie. being told about it in school. The truth is that most African nations have been "free" for multiple generations, and few remember the effects of colonialism, or even were exposed to those who were directly influenced by colonialism themselves. Rather they've been exposed to the corporate aspect of western culture, and the mishmash of political/ideological philosophies that tend to be present, which did come from western nations but have morphed into something else through the application by Africans themselves (dictators, warlords, popular figures, religious leaders).

There is far too much interest in passing responsibility on to a colonial legacy, when for decades the aspects of tribalism, superstition, corruption, brutality by their own people, have reigned. Also, in spite of the desire to elevate slavery or even the effect of colonial possessions in Africa, the simple truth is that many Africans (of the time) were never directly exposed to colonialism. It's not like India where the British heavily invested themselves in the region, Africa brought far less attention in terms of settlers or administrative/operations for colonialism. It's only in particularly unique nations such as South Africa or Zimbabwe/Rhodesia where such things happened, but the presence of colonialism was pretty light in most areas. When it comes to those within French territories, the dynamic is different due most being from Northern Africa, which is very different from southern, and the brutality of French colonialism which continued into the 70s (or even present day, depending on your perspective of the shite they get up to)

But from travelling/working in south/western Africa (decade ago), and meeting a lot of Africans in Asia.. I think colonialism is a convenient scapegoat for what has happened over the last 60 years plus. Americanism has had a far greater impact on Africa than British/French colonialism, as has the spread of Islam from the M.East.

Except that the push for multiculturalism has come from western nations. It's not colonialism, because the host culture remains, albeit diminished in importance as the diversity drive is pushed.

History will likely state it as a misguided, naïve, and short-sighted viewpoint with few benefits and a host of negatives, because of the lack of interest in researching viable methods of stabilising the new society. Multiculturalism could have worked quite well if it had been properly investigated before committing so many resources to it, and had there been interest in limiting it with a mind of merging foreign groups with the host population, rather than allowing them to remain distinctly separate.

As I've said many times, I'm not against multiculturalism, per se. I believe it could be a wonderful opportunity for any nation, but the practical considerations need to be considered, rather than this hopeful wishful thinking that has been present so far. And throughout it all, the native group should be protected, and always held as being more important than the foreign groups, at least, until those foreign groups have successfully managed to merge with society, and become self-sufficient, without any strong social or economic negatives.

But that's not going to happen.. so I'm against multiculturalism. Maybe it will improve when these virtue signallers are kicked out, and we see a more pragmatic perspective applied.

• Advertisement

The obsession here with skin colour is instructive. People seriously suggesting that culturally a Ukrainian would have more in common with an Irish person than a west African just because they are white? In large parts of Africa they would share far more cultural references with us than Eastern Europe due to British / French colonialism and its legacy, catholic missionary’s and American culture etc etc, than orthodox Eastern Europe. And many more large parts of Africa would share far less culture. It is nothing to do with skin colour as seems to be obsession, where’s as it’s just a minor genetic difference than has a visible physical expression but zero cultural expression

Advertisement