Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Up Attic Insulation Over Rafters – Inaccessible Attic Afterwards

Options
  • 09-08-2022 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I’ve recently had my top attics insulation topped up. This was done by a contractor, and I got the grant for it afterwards. Previously, I could access the attic as the basic insulation was all that was in place between the rafters, and I could stand on the rafters to get around the attic. However now, it’s impossible without standing on the top up insulation and trying to find the rafters underneath it. My question is, has anyone had this job done before and did they put in a walkway over the top up insulation via stilts on the rafters? Or is it possible to achieve same thermal savings if you were to pack all this insulation into between the rafters and put a walkway directly onto the rafters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

I would not advise you to pack the insulation as that will decrease it's efficiency.

Did the contractor run the new insulation at 90 degrees to the rafters? If so you could run new planks across the existing rafters and floor that. You can get stilts but I found running 100x40 planks (my second layer of insulation was 100mm) at 90 degrees to the existing rafters (screw them into the existing rafters or you could find the whole floor moving) and then 18mm OSB on top worked a treat.

Don't use a hammer up there as it will likely damage the ceilings underneath. Also I only use the attic for storage I would not be walking on it a lot as I don't think the structure is strong enough to carry constant traffic (I don't think that the ceiling rafters would be up to scratch)

And don't forget to use a face-mask as the fibres will stick in your throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭theboss.com

Yes the insulations ran 90 degrees to the rafters. Just so I'm reading that right, because I have the top up insulation already in, you are suggesting to put these planks directly on top of the top up insulation and secure it to the rafters below (Which will obviously compress small sections of the insulation), but bar that all good? Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

Is the insulation in strips - what I meant is to run the new 'rafters' between the strips of new insulation like in the picture below, remember to be careful of any cabling running over the existing rafters (lazy sparks!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭theboss.com

Thanks get you, unfortunalty not in strips but I can cut it to fit like that. And yes, lazy sparks is right, the cables are thown above the top up insulation!

Advertisement