Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It's nothing but whataboutery on fox news https://www.twitch.tv/Strmm1

Yep.

No president/former president has been as persecuted as him. Not even the ones who were, know, f*cking SHOT (Wait for his ... fans to construe that as a threat/suggestion).

As I said before, another opportunity to distance themselves that will be, not only ignored but will be used as an opportunity to idolise.embrace him and everything he stands for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

“What is the difference between this and Watergate, where operatives broke into the Democrat National Committee? Here, in reverse, Democrats broke into the home of the 45th President of the United States.”

Already the narrative for the gobshite army is being spun. It's not an FBI raid, it's a "Democrat" raid. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Surprised the Republican party has not split all ready - the Trump side and the more restrained/electable Republicans - make a much better election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Is it just coincidental that Alex Jones text message for the last two years have been forwarded on?

Which means when his ... fans obstruct (Which they will) it will not be against the DOJ/FBI (They of course support Law and Order) but will be against the illegal dems blah-de-blah-de-blah.

This is a win-win for the GQP. If the Feds did nothing then Win. If they did something (ANYTHING) then it is a plot. So, Win. For the GQP, this is even better than a school shooting because they don't even have to send their "thoughts and prayers"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Probably.. It's a bit too soon for this to be a reaction to something found there.

They've been planning this for quite a while. Something this politically significant doesn't just happen overnight.

Having said that, I'd suspect that between the Jones Texts and now this there are an awful lot of very very worried people out there today.

They can't split. That would hand the WH to the Dems for the next 20 years.#

The Republicans have made their bed and now they must lie in it. They thought that they could just use Trump as a means to garner more support from his idiot parade. But they've been complicit in making a monster.

Which is why I keep harping on about them missing the opportunity to distance themselves NOW. Take the hit now when the world is in crap and then come cack in 6 years as knights in shining armour to dig the US out of the crap. That may be simplistic (I am a simple person 😀) but, if they were EVER going to attempt to diverge GOP from GQP then I would have thought now would have been the time. Anyway, I've harped on about that enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

George Conway on CNN said there's more here than meets the eye. I totally agree, this is an enormous step and escalation, raiding the home of a former POTUS. Now, putting on my tinfoil conspiracy beanie, the texts they got from Jones' phone - well, they (the big bad DOJ/NSA/.. bunch) probably already had, but now they've got cover for getting a warrant based on the official (via the laughably inept Jones attorneys) leak of the texts. That is, they (big bad DOJ) had the warrant drawn up and were just waiting for a way to use info they had.

Beanie removed now. Probably this really is about the documents and TFG's amazing arrogance and sloppiness. Refusing to simply return the documents was blindingly stupid and arrogant, but hey, it's the TFG. Had he just shut up and returned them, today wouldn't have happened.

Perhaps. But I think it's just too late now. The time to distance themselves was just after Jan 6th and they blew it.

However, the Republican Party have been sick for a long time. They've been the party of Bush and illegal oil wars and now they're the party of Trump and all of the nonsense that that carries. There's been a malaise amongst them for years because all they're interested in is power at any and all cost. That's not to say that the Democrats are much better in many respects. Neither would be my cup of tea, as it were. But the GOP in its current form need to be gutted completely and revamped into something resembling a pre-Reagan shape.

Alas, American politics as it is, it's impossible to see that happening for the foreseeable future.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It can't just be about refusing to return any old documents though , there has to be a reason he has held on to some of them.

They wouldn't have raided his house for random stuff.. They know what documents he has or at least they know the topics that they cover.

The only possible reason he'd still hold on to them is because they are damaging to him.

What way they are damaging to him remains to be seen - There are so many possible issues.

• Big Lie/January 6th?
    • The Zelensky phone call?
    • The meetings with Putin and Lavrov?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

A good explanation here.

Distinguishes between the crimes for removing docs and separately classified docs.

The latter is more serious.

Patel says they were unclassified

This is the line as saying they didn't know or not would be more difficult

So.. The defense is "I declassified them, but I just forgot to tell anyone I'd done it"

Also - "I declassified them so the American people could see them , but I have kept them under lock & key in a safe at my private residence for almost 2 years".

That seems reasonable...

You had me at "Patel told Breitbart". 😀

Then he says: "Trump declassified whole sets of materials in anticipation of leaving government". Well, since he instigated a riot on capitol buildings in an attempt to overthrow a valid election I don't think he EVER anticipated leaving government.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

One explanation is that Trump is used to getting away with everything. So they demand the return of documents, he enters into legal wrangling and that normally goes on for years before eventually everybody gets bored and simply forgets. I doubt he realy thought they would actually come and take them back.

Here's a list of 25 political opponents that he publicly said should be investigated.....

Chickens coming home to a tacky and overpriced roost...

Why should they have to make a request for government documents that should be archived? On top of that, he had a history of destroying documents while in office. This was entirely unacceptable so seems pretty clear that it all needs to be investigated. I'm also pretty doubtful if this actually gains him any followers.

Another person who thinks Trump should have zero consequences for his actions.

Always someone else's fault eh?

"Couldn't possibly be he actually did something wrong."

Are you aware how cultish that sounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think it's a case that if he was traveling at 51mph in a 50 mph zone they be on him, it's clear targeting .

A warrant approved by a judge he appointed and the head of the FBI being his appointment too!

Turncoats, the lot of them eh?

Why can't they look the other way when he was the one that gave them their jobs.

Haven't they ever heard of a quid pro quo?

That's definitely Trumps mindset , but I just can't see the DOJ deciding to raid his house for random vanilla stuff, I really hope that they haven't done that.

I mean if it turns out that the documents were just bland notes from some meeting with a foreign leader (albeit classified) that Trump kept because someone called him awesome in them, it would just massively fuel the "Witch-hunt" narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

How do you know that he wasn't requested to return the documents?

Why should he need to be requested in the first place? Once it was known that it was done, lets be generous here, in error, he should have returned them immediately.

What is political about it? Do you think the Dems arranged this? Are maybe De Santis? If you believe that it was political what does that say about Trump's time as POTUS if the very people he put in place were so open to being corrupted?

This doesn't do anything to prevent him from running of course. Only a conviction will do that. So you think they staged a search to make it look like he was guilty, even though they knew he had nothing and that would come out pretty quickly? Seems like a hell of a risk to take for a guy that they beat fairly convincingly last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

From what I have seen being reported there was a team sent in June to have a meeting in Mar A Largo and they were "allegedly" shown around. During the meeting the Trump team were told to secure documents, they then put a lock on the door.

I would imagine during this there were docs spotted that were designated classified and they requested them to be returned which didn't happen hence this is the next step.

I may be wrong obviously but to say it is a witch hunt etc is a joke. There is a huge amount of whataboutery going on from the GOP

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they got a search warrant because they have evidence of a crime. should they ignore that because he used to be president?

if they wanted something in particular they only had to make a request for it surely.

are you for real? are you actually that naïve?

"if they wanted something in particular they only had to make a request for it surely"

They subpoena when they believe the party receiving will forward the documents.

Why do you think they didn't subpoena?

I'll give you a hint... It was in the news literally the other day that Trump flushed stuff down the toilet.

If that's the way idiots want to classify things then a lot of older women in the West must be similar to the KKK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i never knew my granny was a possible suicide bomber.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement