Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where is the cost of living crisis exactly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...but it sometimes can be used to further increase leveraging, i.e. to borrow more, yes this is more debt, but sometimes that can lead to further accumulation of assets, sometimes....

...now the other side, what if you dont own any assets at all, but are trying to get access to such markets, i.e. first time buyers etc, as current asset owners play this game also, i.e. try to accumulate more assets, this generally helps to cause further asset price inflation, as more and more money enters the market, particularly in the form of credit. this situation generally, but not always, will give the current asset ownership the edge, i.e. the ability to effectively outbid the non asset owner....i.e. this approach sets off whats called a positive feedback loop, leading to asset booms, and subsequent busts.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nah, you way over thinking it. Most home owners don't see their home as a commodity, they see it as a home, an extremely expensive bit of kit that costs a fortune to run and maintain. The idea they are on the pigs back is nonsense.

The very act of committing to such a financial burden means you have immediately limited your choices, I imagine that extends to "social leverage", whatever that actually means.

Of course none of that has anything to do with the challenges in the market at the minute, a market which is cyclical, wasn't that long ago we were bulldozing housing estates and people were financing 60%+ negative equity homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Yes but you can choose to sell it if you want to (generally).

People still choose buy a house knowing full well its years of debt. Im not sure what a viable alternative would be. The leverage is the luxury of having the choice.

Post edited by Andrewf20 on

...again, you need to define the term, 'pigs back'?

again, most are feeling the cost of living crisis, including current home owners, but we re not all feeling it the same...

many non asset owners, are frantically doing everything they can to get access to these markets, trying to save as much as possible, while still trying to survive right now, you ll find most current asset owners, in particular home owners, are not frantically trying to save for such a purchase, as they already have done so, i.e. we re not all experience our current situation the same....

again, this gives current asset owners, i.e. home owners, a major step up, as more of their income can be used to accumulate more assets via pension plans, and other investments....

again, 'security of accommodation' is a critical human need, and current asset owners, including current mortgage holders, are potentially closer to achieving this requirement, but of course theres risks involved...

whats happening now, is that younger generations are being pushed further back with achieving common, and sometimes critical life goals, including child raring etc, this is in fact critical in maintaining a functioning society and economy, for all, including for older asset owners. one such critical need is being able to provide adequate elder care for such asset owners, i.e. younger generations are required for this, but if they are unable to provide themselves with such critical needs, i.e. security of accommodation etc, it is very unlikely they ll be able to provide us asset owners with our critical needs, in old age.....

Huh?

Like I said it was only a wet week ago we were bulldozing housing estates.

The market is cyclical. You are over reacting to a moment in time.

• Advertisement

In the current market selling the family home would not be an option for most people.

where were we bulldozing housing estates, and what were we doing this for, and was this being done on a large scale?

yes markets are indeed cyclical, but theres clearly something catastrophically failing now with many of our most critical of markets, property being the most obvious, but not the only one, we re clearly also experiencing a dramatic deterioration of our health systems...

...am i really just over reacting, really, to a moment in time! as this seems to be a very long moment in time, going on arguable for a couple of decades now, and in many other countries also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I would suspect cost of living crisis is not seen by those who have far more disposable income than they need.

In the two decades since I graduated from university, there has been nothing that comes anywhere close to 2022 as regards inflation. This is definitely a shock to the system.

Three examples.

ESB Bill is routinely 50% higher than it was three years ago.

Cost of holiday accomodation (holiday home) - was paying circa 700 per week three years ago, now 1000.

Mortgage has just gone up 100 per month.

Then there are all those little charges. Getting a bike repaired, getting a new radiator put in. Things that used to cost 80 euro all now seem to cost 200.

TBF lads this is a discussion on the cost of living crisis (which affects everyone), not on the housing situation.

both are a part of the same argument, as the cost of housing is also still spiraling out of control.....

• Advertisement

No, one is a subset of the other.

...and now we re starting to play with words....

have rents and mortgages gone up or down, in recent months? has the cost of building gone up or down?

Would love to ask Boards....

what is the economic model with some 'member' that routinely starts discussions with provocative, emotive and usually incorrect opening posts, and then f**ks off.....doesnt engage in discussion, just leaves it at that.

Only to start another thread in a similar way.

Had Boards.ie disclosed whether they have Bots starting threads, or what is going on here?

Feel a bit stupid for participating in this discussion.

I think there’s a few distinct groups out there-

1. Those with no mortgage, high levels of disposable income and secure jobs or incomes won’t be too bothered but whilst there are a lot of people in that position in Ireland, and good luck to them, they’re still in the minority.
    2. People considered on “decent” incomes will adjust- they’ll reduce weekly shopping bill by buying less luxuries, will reduce discretionary and social spending like going out to restaurants etc They might think twice on changing car and may limit number of holidays or breaks away - whilst they’re taking some actions to reduce outgoings, they’re not “worried” per se
    3. People with low incomes- these people are worried- theres very little wriggle room on weekly costs- their weekly shop is traditionally made up of must haves and essentials- they don’t take many holidays and budget carefully to get away somewhere once a year; they never planned on having to meet mortgage interest rate rises and heating etc bills is really getting them worried; if they are commuting long distances to work and using a car, theyre extremely under financial pressure now already - a time will come where they can’t cut back anymore and may lean towards potential spiralling debt

My advice for those on low incomes right now who are stating to struggle- bin the credit card or at least keep it at zero and get rid of any over drafts- they’ll just get worse - and don’t go to illegal lenders - you’re asking for a whole heap of trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Like I said it was only a wet week ago we were bulldozing housing estates.

This was a week ago? Or was it 10 years ago?

A lot can happen in ten years.

House prices are the highest they have been since the boom. If now is not a good time to sell, when exactly is?

You have also confirmed the issue of house prices for those who don't own any property.

So, young people should wait ten years to see if house prices crash....

OK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Thats suggesting people don't want to ever get off it. I know it flies in the face of an often too common preconception, but we can't claim record high employment figures and expect anyone made unemployed to never want to work again. Then we've working people getting assistance too. And of course the minority of chancers who game the system, but we can't treat everyone like a leech because they fall on tough times. I am okay with money being increased if needed, not arbitrarily raised.

• Advertisement

It's young people getting caught up in the current frenzy.

If we could stop projecting the hyperbole and whipping the masses up we may have a chance of a normal property market, one with less pronounced peaks and troughs.

If you have to sell you have to buy.

The best time to sell your family home depends on when you bought it and the current market conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How do you justify taxpayers being forced to pay for religion teachers?

Scrap the cap!

True, if you need to sell, you have to buy, BUT at least one has a property that has appreciated in value to sell in the first place.

An FTB has no such property to sell, so it's extra hard for them. Hence the points being made.

It's young people getting caught up in the current frenzy.

If we could stop projecting the hyperbole and whipping the masses up we may have a chance of a normal property market, one with less pronounced peaks and troughs.

Ah ok. It's young people's fault that the property market is what it is.

Nothing to do with the rules and policies set down at the behest of existing property owners and the NIMBYism that exists in many areas.

Nope, less variables in a first time buyer who has secured a mortgage.

Apart from them being poorer because they don't have equity in a house already.

Anyway, if you are seriously suggesting than a FTB is better off than an existing homeowner, then you have lost the plot.

The rules are robust around lending, they needed to be after the cluster fúck of the celtic tiger.

Of course there are in certain circumstances, in a market that can change rapidly, speed can save you a fortune.

There is also a raft of first time buyer incentives to avail of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Where are all the people in their 40's and 50's who haven't already got a house/mortgage going to live when they reach retirement? We are going to need to massively ramp up social housing over the next 10 years because this is an oncoming disaster. 😮

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

What keeps boards going is that topics of discussion are put forward, regardless of accuracy of op, or whether the op hangs around or not. In fact I'd even go as far as saying its usually the inaccuracies that keep a discussion more interesting and open.

OK, so you are arguing that on average a FTB is better off financially than an existing homeowner.

There is simply no data at all that exists on this earth that backs you up on that one.

Well again you are being too myopic and limited in your conclusions.

When the crash happens and like for like property was being bought for 60-70% than it's previous sale it was a golden time for FTBs.

Selling your house is not free and it can also be glacial with not a 100% chance the sale will go through.

If I am selling a property and I have 2 prospective buyers, one with mortgage approval and the other with mortgage approval but based on the sale of a current house going through, Who do you think I should accept the bid from?

Estate agents will always push the "cash buyers".

Why? It appears to be a sellers market out there now with high demand for houses. Most people with families are happy to have a home (not sell) but the option to sell is there if say they want to downsize or move down the country. Its also peace of mind to have somewhere to live after retirement.

What do you propose as a better alternative?

Yes, but in the scenario they are both seller and buyer.

• Advertisement

Why is this a problem?

What do you propose as an alternative?

I have but I'm still not clear what the alternative is or why the ability to sell and buy other properties is an issue?

If there were better options people would choose them instead but they don't for the most part. Therefore they strive to buy a place of their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You are waffling. You can no longer leverage you house. It virtually impossible to borrow except for improvement to you your house. The 2019 conveyancing law changes make it virtually impossible to leverage a PPR as it's a long process to repossess it and even at that the option of an PIA means the security is worthless.

https://www.fieldfisher.com/en-ie/locations/ireland/ireland-blog/safeguarding-principal-private-esidences

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

I have been living overseas for a while and I feel day to day spending in places like coffeeshops is pretty low in Ireland. People really don't dine out much and very few places are busy. Some pubs busy on weekends but many have closed. For a country with a large number of jobs and immigrants its quite subdued and very different from the celtic tiger days. Luxury cars are few and far between.

Checking figures for retail backs up my hunches.

Hotels and b&bs doing well as people seem to splurge on that, and there are lots of tourists , but people seem to be cutting back on other discretionary spending.

There are certain sectors doing extremely well like dairy farmers and IT folks and property developers and agents, but its patchy enough.

There is no recession here but it is very far from booming either. The immigrants that come here are also not spending a whole lot either. Many seem to be in cost saving mode and watch that accelerate goong into Winter.

• Advertisement

Also consider emigrating or switching careers if possible for a more lucrative income.

Its hard to reduce costs much in Ireland I think a lot of the high costs are quite fixed.

However getting rid of a car could go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Must say id disagree on this. Spent alot of time in Dublin over the past fortnight and it was packed. One particular Brazilian restaurant seemed full all the time (and it's not cheap), pubs are full, getting a taxi is hard etc. Couldn't believe how busy it was. People everywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Definitely feeling the pinch here. I went part time over the summer due to caring responsibilities and had one unexpected big bill which has eaten into savings. Usually have money left aside at end of month to throw into savings ( additional to standing orders that go out at start of month) but that hasn’t happened in months. Going back full time next week 😕 more out of necessity than want. We are already quite frugal so can’t really tighten things up much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Ops got no kids and works from home lol.

The cite centre is packed for sure, a lot of tourists and Spanish students at this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

My UK energy bill is headed for £3k and predictions are the price cap is rising to £4k in January. We'll be alright (might have to put holiday plans on hold) but I'd have genuine concerns for low income houses and pensioners. There will have to some significant government intervention (when there eventually is one) before there is civil unrest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Someone mentioned big demand for holidays so people must be doing well.

Lot of pent-up demand for holidays due to Covid and vouchers to use up etc etc. Also people who booked months ago don't want to lose deposits.

Bookings for next year will give us a good picture of the financial health of the nation.

Scrap the cap!

I would dispute this.

Firslt, despite what some say - you dont have the mad, mad disparity of wealth in Ireland that you have elsewhere. There are heaps of super rich in London and there are heaps of sports cars in London. But there are lots and lots of poor areas in the UK, way moreso than here. In fact, a trip across the border makes that evident pretty quickly.

Second, we just dont have the roads for - or the culture of - luxury cars.

I was in Sweden not so long ago, undeniably in the category of 'wealthy' country, and didnt see that many luxury cars there either.

Where you really see the splurge is in property, in home renovations and so on.

Having said that, inflation here to your point is imported and not demand led locally - and for sure lots of people, e.g. anyone in Public Service - are being hit very very hard by it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

They are talking about it on radio again. They will be balloting members and possible strike if no "substantial " pay rise.

They truly are shameless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Swedes buy sensible cars, Irish buy SUVs even when they don't really need an SUV because they're fashionable, to put one up on the neighbours, but kitted out poverty-spec - no extras.

Fur coat, no knickers, like most things here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement