Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prey aka Predator 5 (Dan Trachtenberg)

Comments

The predator goes hunting for stolen rhino horn on the savannahs of Limerick but is eventually "called out" and felled by a trans-traveller (brilliantly portrayed by John Connors in a career-defining role) with a vicious Shillelagh strike to the back of the alien ceann after previously stunning him with a pipe-bomb made from thistles and ash bark.

(to be exclusively recorded and released in the Shelta language following previous public outcry in Ireland related to the previous film from the hugely influential ICAS body - "Irish Comanche Appreciation Society")

"Predator: I'm the boss, boss"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It was an ok film overall, the setup was good but got a bit silly by the end. The lead wasnt an in your face Mary Sue, she made mistakes etc. at the same time she didnt exactly fill the screen with charisma and for a stone age girl, she adapted a little too quickly to the industrial and space age and came back to the village like she had won a trail run not had an encounter with a god like creature that wiped out all her friends and brother. I also thought I was being manipulated regarding the French trappers on the assumption that one is not supposed to know anything about what they might have been like but hey if one is meant to think French people are grunting cavemen, who am I to argue. overall while nicely filmed a forgettable 5/10

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭al87987

Just watched it for the 2nd time last night, controversial opinion here but I think I prefer it to the original.

It's visually stunning, has some great action set pieces, a succinct main character arc and there's zero fat on this movie. I love a film coming in around the 1hr 40 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

"White Knights...", "Libtards...", "Mary Sue...".

I have no idea what's going on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Easily the best film since the original. The scenery and cinematography are gorgeous. Very good 8 out of 10 action flick, especially the last 40 minutes. On a side note IMDB used to be great for ratings. Full of sad idiots with nothing better to do than give 1 star ratings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The original can never ever be topped if you seen it when it first came out,

The reason is because none of us had any idea what was hunting them, we did not know what the predator was, once it is revealed you can never go back ,

The suspense can never be equalled ,

Far far more 10 votes (and it's in no way a 10, or indeed a 9) than 1 votes actually as the IMBD votes distribution clearly shows so it's actually skewed the other way

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11866324/ratings/?ref_=tt_ov_rt

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

Great movie, no.2 after the original , although I really like Predator 2 so It was a hard enough decision!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Watch it 10 times and then come back to us.

Ive watched the original about ten times , its a masterpiece in suspense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,481 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

most of the 1 star ratings were given before the film was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭al87987

Oh don't get me wrong I've watched the original 20+ times (Worked in Xtra Vision for years) and I love it.

I don't think Prey will have the same staying power but it's such a well crafted movie in so many ways. The original is all biceps and bullets for the most part with a lot of the action happening off camera (Still upset you don't get to see what exactly happened Billy). I preferred the weaponry from both the Comanche and the Predator in this film.

I really enjoyed seeing Predator vs the wolf and bear too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the indians were literally stone age, you must know what I meant?, their axes were stone, which btw their axes wouldnt last long being fcked into trees

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The Plains tribes were using metal for their arrow heads in the 17th century. They weren't "stone age" at all.

Stone age doesn't really work in the America's it more of an old world term but yes your basically right ,

Tools & weapons would be wood or stone but they did use copper & gold for decorations,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wouldn't say this was better than the first but by a nose edges out Predator 2 for me. With those 3 movies sitting far ahead of all the rest.

Predator 2 rates high by dint of being an utterly bonkers, coked up swing at a sequel; here we just have a solid, middleground crowd-pleaser. But both sequels went their own way, weren't trying to be smart or referential.

Does this have rewatch potential? Why not? It's uncomplicated, and hits its beats in a satisfying way. It varied the structure enough to make it distinct from the original.

Ask me in 10 years cos who knows what becomes a rewatch really, not til after the fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Except it isn't "right".

The Indian tribes of the mid and southern plains had adopted metal in their weaponry by the 1600's. They still would have used bone as well, but metal weapons were in common usage. In South America, "Indians" had been mining metal since pre-Columbian times.

The thing is, the Indian tribes of the plains were largely nomadic. So setting up mining production was out of the question and their bone/flint weapon did the job just fine. It was strong enough to take down large game and it was easily manufactured. They continued to use bows and arrows of various material up to the mid 1800's because they were rapid firing and could be used from the back of a horse when hunting down the likes of buffalo which was tied into the lives of the various plains tribes. Whereas rifles were clumsy and took time to reload. When the likes of the Winchester repeating rifle became a reality, the plains Indians went to great lengths to obtain them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Nermal

When it was only a two-film series, it seemed clear to me that the Predators left Earth out of sheer embarassment.

There's no shame in coming second to the Terminator and his hand-picked squad of paramilitaries.

But how could any of them look us in the eye, knowing that one of them had been killed by a wheezing, sweaty Danny Glover?

How wrong I was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hard agree with you here, I threw on Prey without telling herself it was a predator film (for reference, theres a rule in my house, if we're flicking channels, and Predator is on, regardless of whether its just starting or almost over, it will be watched to the end).

I was a little disappointed when they revealed to the audience that it was an Alien within the first 10 minutes. The first one was great as you didn't really get a proper measure of the Creature until the film had progressed significantly.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed it overall.

• Advertisement

That gas cause my own missus got really annoyed when they showed craft & the Predator ,

She was like just no , just don't do it ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

yeah, I was hoping for the reveal to come later,

At least I'll always have the surprise she got halfway through 'from dusk til dawn' 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The first one just has so many iconic scenes and the soundtrack and editing is brilliant.

This scene never gets old

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

When you're into your 7th appearance on screen, the capacity for mystery kinda becomes redundant. I appreciated this film didn't try to play coy with the alien and just assumed the audience knew who and what the Pred was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,791 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

exactly, like no need to tell the Batman or Spiderman origin each time they make a film about them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH it's something of a fundamental flaw with many long-running series studios insist on repeatedly wheeling out. Jurassic Park and Alien are other classic examples - so much is based around the gradual reveal and initial tension in the first film that you're almost automatically into diminishing returns with any follow-up. Out of all three long-running, multi-film series, you arguably have only one film that even comes close to holding a candle to the original (Aliens) and that required James feckin' Cameron + a complete change of pace / tone.

In an ideal world, we'd be happy to have more 'one and done' high-concept films that don't end up being decades-long 'franchises' (shudder). But given the wildly uneven quality we've come to expect from such sequels, a competent and enjoyable film like Prey is automatically among the upper echelons simply by being competent and enjoyable. The bar has been set low, and yet so few sequels manage to clear it.

Trachtenberg also managed to do a similar thing with Cloverfield as Cameron did with Aliens. Complete genre shifting for Cloverfield Lane. Do think in the long term he's a talent to be watched in terms of consistent delivery.

Long running series are possible, it's just Hollywood keep gouging, or overcomplicating, franchises who are as deep as a puddle. Alien had by chance something of an open horizon to chart a mystery creature's ecology, while also possessing a bit of a satirical streak with its mega corporation future.

Jurassic World being a good example of the opposite. By all accounts the series should have entered a bit of a Gonzo, anything goes phase but instead we have these rote blockbusters trying to constantly go back to a limited well.

Predator kinda falls between those two stools and by all accounts should be exactly what Prey was; mid-sized, small scope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

It was good but Predator, Predator 2 -Predators I would still rate above it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭buried

Yeah but the problem with that is the complete lack of suspense in these films because they keep churning them out and the viewer knows everything there is to know before it even starts. The genius with the first film is that the characters have literally no idea what kind of movie they are in.

Advertisement