Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar PV battery options

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I look forward to the day that this happens to PV batteries so I can upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭munsterfan2

Between holidays etc and back and forth I finally got all the discharge reports sent and I must be making progress as we are now talking to the leaders :-)

"我将情况反馈给领导

I will feedback the situation to the leaders."

Ruairi

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭E30M3

Best of luck with it and I really hope you get sorted. I had one cell discharging much lower that the other 15 and after tooing and froing for over a month this is where I got to.

我们问过工程师了 这个电池的电压是正常的 电池也是正常的 ,如果需要将电池超级平衡 建议需要使用 平衡器

We have asked the engineer that the voltage of this battery is normal, and the battery is also normal. If you need to super balance the battery, it is recommended to use a balancer.

I held off on contacting PAYPAL until it was too late as I thought the company would replace the cell. lesson learned. all cell within 25 mv of each other when resting.

Did they have you run a capacity test on the cell ? I used bench charger to charge to 3.65v and close to 0a. Then connected to discharger which gives a full spreadsheet of the discharge and I sent them these. None of my cells are to spec. Let me know if you need a loan of the discharger

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

@irishchris have you been able to pull 5kw (steady) from the inverter for more than about 15 minutes?

I've wedged a desk fan temporarily on top of the inverter, it's kept the temperatures below 40, the whole time but still throttles after about 15 odd minutes to 63 amps.

The bms readouts are still showing 100 amps charge /500 discharge (it's the default on my bms) so it's not that.

I wonder is it the aobo setting. Next thing I'll try is to change the name in the bms so I don't get a name error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭irishchris

Only noticed this last night myself as the missus was baking so had good few appliances on and seems to stay 5kw for about 15/20 mins then drops to about 68amps.

I originally thought as well it was temperatures but have a wall mounted fan above and keeps temperatures around 30c.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fluffykre

Looks like there's European stock of some server rack batteries Will Prowse has had on his youtube videos.

JK48V100PRO I Server Rack 51.2V 100Ah LiFePO4 Battery - €1,739

https://www.europe.sokbattery.com/product-page/sok-battery-100ah-48v-server-rack-battery, SOK Battery 48V100Ah Server Rack Battery - € 2,019

Great to see some more brands coming on the market so Plyontech is not the one one in town. Anyone have nay thoughts on how well they would work with a sofar me3000sp?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Darith

Hello,

Thanks for all help in advance. Apologies if this has been asked already. I am getting in a hyundai system with the hyundai sun2000 controller. Is it possible to power a couple of ordinary deep cycle batteries(not lithium) from this controller? Do I need another piece of equipment to connect first to the controller to charge said batteries? One more question; in the event of a power cut would this system still charge the batteries(I know it will not continue to feed the grid in my house)

David.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭buzz11

Good to see different options all right.

Are SOK batteries compatible with Solis hybrid inverters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Those are not great prices for the SOKs, you might as well get the puredrives for that price.

Pretty much ready to give up on OYE/PWOD, they dont give a f*ck. Just keep replying with rubbish. I did some reading on diysolar and there have bee a lot of threads about these stores shipping crap. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/pwod-still-advertising-calb-200ah-lifepo4-cells-as-new-agrade.41797/ https://diysolarforum.com/threads/beware-of-aliexpress-lifepo4-grade-a-cells-from-oye-store.37786/ and there are many more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

Was it every cell or just a few ? It sounds like you were just very unlucky / unfortunate.

Hi,

All the cells, range is from 130ah to 150ah. Running the pack at 140ah SOC. The feedback on diysolar shows a lot of people with issues with OYE/PWOD. They have admitted the cells only have 75% of capacity but dont care.

Reflects my own experience, they wear you down replying with rubbish and wait for you to go away. It is important for anyone going down this route to understand that purchasing cells from Aliexpress is risky and PWOD and or OYE in my case is no guarantee of quality or any level of service if you have an issue.

Personally I purchased a cell elsewhere to swap into my pack and gave up on trying to get anywhere with OYE.

Maybe pay using paypal and try to get set up/tested within the protection period but even at that I doubt it will be straightforward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Did you guys not raise a dispute directly with AliExpress? Stick in some video evidence of capacity testing, if the seller has admitted the capacity is lower than advertised then surely that alone is enough. AliExpress usually sides with the buyer. I have been into many, many disputes (I buy a ton of stuff there) and I've got a 100% refund in every single case.

• Advertisement

Not a great price is right. €2200 shipped for 5kWh? I paid €2300 shipped for 20kWh of quality CALBs a few months ago.

Aliexpress wouldn't accept a dispute once over 15 days beyond receipt. I was 6 weeks going back and forth with OYE and getting nowhere.

I am going to fill out a chargeback request with my CC company, just for fun, dont expect it to get anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭zoom_cool

So €1739 for 100A but we can build 200A with a separate BMS for less 🤔

• Advertisement

Plus €150 shipping

And not sure what battery cells that pack uses but almost certainly the CALBS we use in our self built ones are better. I have opened Pylontechs and was not impressed.

David Poz just tested that Jakiper battery. It's ok but not great. The cells look like decent prismatic cells (not the crappy pouch cells that are inside Pylontechs). He did discharge it at nearly 100A for nearly an hour though. It's what it is specced at but still, that's impressive. Two Pylontechs totalling the same capacity can only do 50A.

I'd say if he ever tested the Pylontechs, he would slate them 😂

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Had to do a double take when his latest video showed up in my youtube subscriptions. Didn't recognise him with the beard. 😂

Aye! He gave me a right scare a few months ago when he changed his appearance. He used to look normal but now he looks like a red neck off grid mad US prepper. Which I suppose he is 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭insular1

Currently have over 4kWp of panels on the garage hooked into a 4kW inverter. Think I have just enough space to increase to 6kWp of panels but will have to change the inverter. I plan to DIY a battery system hopefully next year and was wondering what the best options regarding inverters are. I think there are 2 options:

1. Sell the 4kW and get a 6kW hybrid inverter.

2. Sell the 4kW, buy a 6kW inverter and ME3000SP to manage the batteries.

I was planning to go the route of number 2 above before I considered upgrading the number of panels but now I'm not sure. Anyone have any input into the pros and cons of each of the above? Or another option I might be missing?

If I was you, I'd get the batteries first. Who knows how long we'll get away with the tax, and you see the potential generation in even 4kWp

So go for the batteries with the ME3000SP?

The advantage of getting the panels is I don't have to do any of the work, so it will actually get done.

I have been planning this battery install for nearly a year but due to time pressure just haven't been able to commit to doing it. I'm hoping early next year I'll have more scope but in the meantime have some savings I could put towards extra panels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Why not just go for more panels without bumping the inverter? Or to phrase the question another way, how many times have you hit the 4Kw threshold with your existing panels. I've (had) 5.3Kwp of panels with a 5.4Kw inverter, and i never experienced "clipping". Sure there will be times that your inverter may limit your generation, but I would say that for the vast (vast) majority of time you'll still not see the 4Kw anyway, even with the increase in panels.

Here's a very good day that I had back in May

Well short of my max potential. Sure, middle of June, sun overhead at the perfect angles your might get "clipping", but I'd crack on and increase the panels. Wait a few months and then see what you telemetry tells you and then if you feel that your missing "a lot" of generation by plateauing at 4Kw (I doubt it), then upgrade the inverter.

This way has the added advantage of you having data to decide about the inverter/battery size you can fill.

One caveat is that your existing inverter has dual strings and you have capacity spare (within voltages usually) to get yourself to 6Kw. E.g. if you have only 1 string and you have 10x panels on it, your unlikely to be able to get to more than 12 panels.

I think if I max out the roof with panels I could have 6.2kWp on it if I use the same panels. I'm pretty sure the inverter has dual strings but is it ok to exceed the inverter kW by that much?

My thinking was in terms of cost it would be cheaper long term to get the hybrid inverter installed now along with the panels as then I can just plug and play the DIY battery pack when I get it done whereas if I just install the panels I'd be getting an electrician back out to connect up the ME3000sp or hybrid inverter at a later date adding additional cost.

Also it looks like I am getting some clipping already with 4.5kWp of panels installed. This was pretty much the best day of the past few weeks so definitely not much clipping most days. But with a bump of nearly 2kWp I'd expect the clipping to be a bigger factor?

• Advertisement

The clippings on most days are tiny little peaks shaven off. Only on blue sky days will it matter a lot. And how many of those do we get a year? Install those extra panels first so you are completely maxed out. And leave your current inverter for the moment. The PV summer season is nearly over anyway. See how you get on and make your mind up before next spring what you want to do next. Also the availability of (hybrid) inverters at the moment is poor. But you should be able to get panels.

Thanks for the input all. If just going the panel route I might consider DIY installing them as it's on a lowish garage roof so would be safe enough. Is there a limit to the amount of panels to a dual string inverter in terms of kWp or number of panels?

Yeah as unkel says, in the production profile you posted.....all you'd be missing out is the area of those "spikes" over 4Kw which it would have jumped up to. Compared to the area under the rest of the chart....it's very little. 1-2% is all you'd get, and it's safe to oversize your inverter (there are limits, but you would be fine)

Have you considered doing the panel installation yourself? It's generally pretty easy. Also, you didn't mention, but is the garage roof a flat roof or a pitched roof? If it's a flat roof then I'd reckon that the installation could be something you could do yourself. I recently finished a DIY installation myself on a flat roof (I'm not a spark), but if it's a pitched roof....I'd probably think twice about it - although there are plenty of helpful folks here who'd point you in the right direction.

The limit depends on the spec sheet of the inverter, there is usually a limit for total voltage on one string and total voltage overall for the inverter. I.e. on my Solis 6kW I can not have more than 12 panels on one string - well 13 really unless we have a blue sky day while it is minus 20 degrees Celcius or something like that 😂

What make / model inverter do you have?

It's the solis 1p4k 4g. The max input voltage is 600. Is there a way to work out max panels per string on this model?

And it's a pitched roof, but low height and I'd be comfortable enough on a roof so don't think it would bother me. Would definitely consider it. Might see if I can source the same panels.

Get the specs for your panels. Find the VOC. Divide that into 520v (single string of two) for the number of panels that you can have in a string.

EDITED string value

Post edited by championc on

Thanks! That's fairly straightforward. 11.97 panels. So could go to 24 panels max 2x12. Don't have space for that many anyway. I think 2 strings of 8 each would be most I could fit unless I do the north face of the roof too. They're 410wp panels so max I could do on the inverter is 15 I think based on the spec anyway. So one string of 8 and one of 7. Thanks all!

Post edited by insular1 on

Panel is max 40V roughly, so max for your inverter in total is 600/40=15 panels and max on a string is 520/40=13 panels

• Advertisement

Ah sorry. Misunderstood. My panels have VOC of 50.1. so that means my max is 12 panels total? Not 12 per string?

The "open circuit" voltage does vary a little from manufacturers. I think this is because some are 60 cell panels others are 72 cell panels etc.

My Qcell G9's are 45.1v open circuit - but you have the basic theory right, albeit that limit is per string. Word of caution, I'd also not be "right at" the limit. unkel mentions it above, but it's dependant on temperature, so you want to give yourself a bit of a buffer. That's why many of us could "fit" 13 panels, but in reality 12 is the max as otherwise you'd regularly be getting max voltage alarms every other day.

Another good thing about doing it yourself, is that you can add on the panels as you see fit. Add a couple of panels. See the difference it makes....add some more etc.

Sorry to clarify so if VOC is 50 per panel is it max 600/50=12 per inverter or 12 per string?

So max 600v for the inverter overall, and max 520v for any one string is the way I understand it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

600V per string. (with a solis inverter)

I have 24 panels, 12 on each string.

"Another good thing about doing it yourself, is that you can add on the panels as you see fit. Add a couple of panels. See the difference it makes....add some more etc."

Indeed, but only if they are identical panels in the same string, otherwise the whole string performs as if it were made up of the lowest spec panels. I have that problem myself unfortunately, can't wait to get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Hi quick battery question. Complete amateur and novice so go easy. I’m very close to pulling the trigger on a solar system with dyness batteries. 9.6k bank. They are similar to pylontech which from what I’ve read here aren’t special just wondering what you guys thought. It’s with a company so that’s what they use but if they’re totally useless I’d have to reconsider.

it’ll be. 7.2kw 20 x jinko solar panels with a 6kv sofar hybrid inverter, eddi and the 9.6k dyness.

I see bullit dodger is here too so he’ll love to see me and my toddler type solar questions again . But I’m learning.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

Ach man, we all had to learn from somewhere. While I've an engineering background, most of my solar knowledge comes from the likes of unkel and Graememk and a few others knocking about before I came, and we're all still learning. Strenght of boards.ie is the sharing of the knowledge, we don't do that and respect people who don't know things as well as others......we might as well give up and call it a day.

One thing most people will advise though is make sure you get a good few (more than 1-2) quotes ideally from some of the more regular well known "value" companies out there. There's the one I used myself as well as the supplier from Enniskillen. As for dyness, no I've not heard of anything particuarly bad about them. Mostly all the battery suppliers "do what they say on the tin". Sure, some of them will cycle more than others, but for most consumers any of them will do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Have a dyness 9months. Flawless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Rebuilding eventually and planning ahead for battery initially and then add solar down the road.

Was looking at the battery, didn't want the hassle of building my own (though could do it) and contacted bslbatt to get a price on their 10kWh 200A battery that was mentioned here a while back. Back then iirc the battery landed (to Ireland, not delivered or installed) was around 1.5k. They have an Irish supplier now and the price for delivery in Ireland is €4490. Good luck with that!

Build my own it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jumpin jack

Hi there,

I'm a newbie to the Solar PV world so please forgive my lack of knowledge. I want to build a system to give me some independence from the grid providers and to reduce my impact on the environment. I have a lot of space facing due south that I can fill with a ground mounted solar system. I'm thinking a 15->20Kw array and a 15Kw+ battery system could give me this. I have recently upgraded my heating system to air to water (A pair of 12kw Krono Therm units) and I charge my EV at night using night rate electricity.

What kind of panels , inverters, optomisers, batteries etc. would you guys recommend, I want to build this system myself and get my electrician to finish off and certify the rig.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement