Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the importation from America of Identity politics a good thing?

Options
13»

Comments

Other experiences and attitudes are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

It depends where you were. Just because you lived in a cool diverse place doesn't mean that everyone did, in fact you're probably in a small minority. So when you say "I cannot understand the far left and all this woke, a lot of white people calling people racists. We didn't know what racist was" is great for you, but others had to have different approaches because their experiences were a lot different. For instance I watched a black footballer eat a banana that was thrown at him during a game here in the North in the 80s. I'm guessing it probably wasn't that cool an experience for him. It required people like me to continually say to ordinary folk "you know thats racist, you really shouldnt do that" to get it to stop. Then 40 years later apparently that attitude is "woke" whatever that means. I think it means being nice to people who are different, in which case I'm happy to have that label, or whatever new labels are invented to mean the same thing.

I think just being nice to people full stop is better than being nice to certain identities.

A person is either pleasant or unpleasant. Woke is just another example of people trying to say if you're not woke like us you're asleep.

Yes. However your approach doesn't take into account when people were targeted precisely because they were different in some way, and simply being nice to everyone didn't improve things. People had to be actively shown that being nasty to someone because of skin colour just wasn't right. It had to be a proactive action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

And its not just skin colour people have to fight to be accepted because of. Lets not pretend homosexuality was legalised because we all decided to be nice to each other or the huge strides made by society to be more inclusive for those with disabilities and how they were talked about and treated didn't just change because they had a positive attitude.

It was narrowing in on the treatment of individuals or groups and fighting for change for lone issues that resulted in change.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Yes - Apologies, I meant to put an eg in front of skin colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

I remember my parents saying when Shannon was the main airport in Ireland for international stopovers, it was considered a sophisticted place. e.g. The hotels were full of foreign guests from all over the world, etc.

Re: people not worrying about differences and just getting along - Today , you could be accused of trying to be "colour-blind", and denying people the right to their identities. Your last paragraph sums it up very well.

You're absolutely right, it was so modern compared to the rest of Ireland. Seeing planes flying in and out, Shannon was a hive of activity in the Midwest.

It can be that way again if it's done right, and the tourism attractions were close enough to the airport. I think something political ruined it all. They killed the goode that laid the golden egg.

Advertisement