Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sandman [Netflix]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

All the previews so far look good. Though I have a small niggle that Dream having normal human eyes instead of the black eyes from the comic just looks...wrong. It makes him look far too normal. I'm also not a fan of the actor cast as Death - nothing to do with her being a POC but rather I saw her in The Good Place and she did *not* impress me in that at all (although to be fair that could be partly due to her attempting an atrocious australian accent in that show).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The series dropped today; 10 episodes in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is it me or is the aspect ratio off on this show?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I thought so too but it seems to be maybe the type of lens they used that gives the faces a stretched look.

I only watched the first 2 episodes but I need to rewatch them because it was so distracting - the faces are definitely elongated vertically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I have it set to cropped to 1.85:1 which makes it a little less distracting.

Watched the first 2 episodes and it's bloody weird, Sandmans body reminds me of Dogma and Corinthians eyes are twisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Aspect ratio is off but I believe it's deliberate, the audible play is still king as an adaption but I don't hate this show.

Gilbert is perfect

Sound of her wings is always my favourite and continues to be. I thought I wanted a pale goth but it works. Gaimen's philosophy and writing shines through.

Post edited by Vestiapx on

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Very strange. On episode 5.

Aspect ratio is very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Ihad no issues with aspect ratio..

Just finished the series. Spectacular stuff..

Excellent casting...

Desire was always going to be tricky, but she was Annie Lennoxy enough..

Dreamwas good casting.. F only they could stick some stars for eyes..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No aspect ratio issues here.

Watched the first episode and it was a rich, baroque epic. Definitely intrigued to carry on with this. Very fantastical and ethereal in its own way and if you didn't know, you'd absolutely guess if this was a Neil Gaimen story.

Mind you, this being a joint Netflix and Warner Bros production does nothing for my faith it'll get a renewal (unless it's a miniseries).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Alright, another show.. let's roll! 🙂

I posted earlier about thinking it looks like the production would feel a bit better than Sky/BBC and after one episode.. it does look that way.

1: This felt like it introduced the universe, set the current story up and gave some characters to get to know. Felt like a decent enough hook at the end. I am guessing the episodes will be following Dream .. who I'm guessing is The Sandman of the title.

Let me see.. seems to be Magic and Gods.. did I heard right.. maybe Reaper is at the centre of the bunch who include Dream, Desire, Destiny, Despair.

I'm guessing there will be creatures controlled by each, this Corinthian being one of Dreams creatures. That season one is gonna be Dream chasing after a bunch of them to bring them back to the Dream Realm (TM).

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i binged this over the last 2 days... absolutely loved it, right up my street. And no aspect ratio issue for me either.

the ending was a little underwhelming, but probably because they didnt introduce a "watch for next seasons even badder bad guy" which a lot of these series tend to do.

2: A wild David Thewlis appears! 😀 Looks like my earlier guess was a bit ahead of itself. Maybe then season one

will just be for getting back the tools, not getting all the creatures back.

The creatures and wider magical universe might be for future seasons then I guess.

At the moment, I'd be guessing the ruby must be the most powerful tool and so one of the final showdowns will be to take it back.

3: Yes! Let's go to ..

Hell! I was like.. bird.. it might be hot in hell! 😁Though since it's Patton Oswald.. I assume most of his scenes will be comedic.

Seemed like they didn't do much with Constantine.. not much direct and seemed to be saving money on special effect. I'm guessing there will have to be another appearance this season.

Thewlis .. seems to have a line of plot open to not turn into a baddie.. but the plot just seems to be car crashing him in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭winstonia

Fully on board this now. I wasn't expecting much and hated the trailer. Do love the book.

4: Ah I thought that was clever!

Gwendoline Christie really did some good face acting there. She works so well in roles suited to her. Hard to believe how little work she's been in.

The fight being based on the descriptions given by both. At first I was like.. oh no.. not chess! 😁

on a separate note I did like that Thewlis and Rosemary story. It could easily have been filler but it wasn't. It explored lying and feelings and I was glad he didn't do anything bad to her.

It did seem in that episode like the budget was stretching at the seams but I think they pulled it off. Mixes of practical effects and computer effects were noticeable but they kept it moving.

5: Well... blood .. gore .. so much blood and gore 😲

Kinda glad the diner wasn't the be all and end all though.. the storylines felt a bit simple.

The actress playing Bette put in a good performance. Google says Emma Duncan. Looks like she's at early days in her career so far:

Seems a proper break-point for a binge..

Sandman is back to fully operational battle station (TM) and a new ominious looking type has emerged.

Thewlis did good in his role. I'd say there must be potential to have him reappear. His pressence brings a lot to the shows he is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The aspect ratio or whatever type of lens they used for filming definitely feels off. It feels like they maybe did it to give Dream and some of the other characters a more gaunt appearance, but it looks really off with many other characters and scenes.

6 episodes in, but f*cking loving it so far. Never read any of the comics or anything, but know enough of Neil Gaiman's work and reputation to know this would be good. A show I'm trying not to binge, as I want to try savour it. Episode 6 was incredibly well done; beautiful, depressing and funny in an amazingly well-balanced mix.

6: Ohhhhhh but that was fun! This new character definitely grew on me.

Also I'm imagining that having an immortal as a friend won't hurt for Dream since it looks like this new OMINIOUS ENEMY (TM) is in-fact.. the time immemoriable.. sibling rivaly 😁

I think the saddest moment for me was

the baby being taken. I'd seen and heard enough of the mother for my imagination to keep the events going after the scene switch 🙁

Re-reading my two bits above.. hard to believe it was all one episode! Well done the director.. *googles for name*.. Mairzee Almas .. it was her only episode. Looking at her imdb.. experience from just lots of shows including: Smallville, iZombie, The 100, Impulse.. Marvel Netflix (Jessica Jones, Iron Fist), Locke & Key, Paper Girls: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0021772/

Just no film or bulk of a series of her own... Nothing much extra on her wiki:

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

2 episodes in and the aspect ratio or stretching or fish eye or whatever mix of lenses and after effects they added is very distracting. It appears to be intentional too which makes it even more odd.

• Advertisement

Read Netflix response today - it was a "creative decision"

7: Ah! A wild Stephen Fry appears! 😀

This episode felt a bit of a relaxation from episode 6. It did need it though since it was pretty much introducing a new story and tying it into the existing one.

I did like the bit when

Rose turned up in the dream realm/world. Her powers do look like they'll allow her freedom in it anytime she sleeps.

I'm guessing the pumpkin head character must be a nod to the books but the look and feel doesn't fit for me as well they might want it. Maybe down to their budget again. A little immersion breaking but it was only a few minutes of screen time I guess.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

pumpkin guy is mark hamill. i agree with the 'oddness' of the look, but in the overall context "odd" kind of encapsulates the whole show.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

He is just reprising his role as Varga in Fargo. No difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,021 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seeing Jenna Coleman as Johanna Constantine made me wonder if we'll get a Hellblazer series with her.

Overall I enjoyed it. Only finished the comics fairly recently.

Ending kinda spoilers

Seeing Dream building the new Nightmares/Dreams at the end reminded me of one of Gaiman's other works, MirrorMask.

8: Oh.. I'm not sure about the baddie for the next two seasons.. especially with the power levels I've seen so far..

Desire.. being another endless.. sure.. but if it's just the Corinthian... it kinda feels like Morpheus will just sand or shadow him out of it. At a guess.. the Corinthian wants to use the Vortex to take out Morpheus.. maybe by threatening the brother.

Thewlis feels like much the same character in most shows I've seen him in recently! Maybe he's vying for the baddie role in a reimagining of Die Hard 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I didn't know mich about this before I jumped in, and I don't know if if it was for the better, but that was thoroughly enjoyable. I was hooked from the beginning. The story, the settings, characters, I loved it all.

My only complaints were Dream was a bit too emo pouty, putting Zoolander to shame, and Patton Oswalt. I feel the character could have been better with a different voice.

I don't know what the comic versions of the characters are like, so no comparison. I thought they all did well, especially Thewlis, but he's fantastic in everything. Some casting choices felt... for want of a better word, woke. But again, no idea if its accurate to the comics (although I did see a comment about Death above, so some changes at least). But they all did well I think.

Fantastic world building, and it has me. I want more. Exactly what I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

It's 4th rate dark boring over produced shite typical of netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Falken1

It was a cracking first season. The casting for the most part was spot on.

Tom Sturbridge as dream was spot on.

Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer was amazing.

Favourite episodes were episodes 5 & 6.

However I thought the acting from rose, Lyta and Jed was meh. Jeds story line was a filler unless someone can tell me otherwise as I don't know much about it. I did think the second half was a bit rushed. The first 6 episodes were so good.

Overall a really good season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Watched 3 or 4 episodes.

Some awful characters I couldn't care less about. Boring.

I'm out.

Advertisement