Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭wassie

Agreed. In fact I suspect this is going to be amplified in the next few years as society is pushed further towards EV ownership combined with a lack of second hand EVs actually coming to market.

Even when supply side issues are resolved and manufacturers can satisfy demand, there is still going to be a lag period where there arent enough used EVs in the used car market keeping prices artificially high.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Exactly that. If I had a big storage facility, I would have bought all the cheap Leafs and Fluences in the last few years 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

The car market is going to be new and second hand EV's and proper performance cars, PHEV and then the rest in that order. Even if everyone waiting on a EV got theirs tomorrow the second hand market will have nothing for years. Anyone buying a new car that is not an EV, unless its a van or they are a mid level traveling salesman doing 300+km a day...needs their heads examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You and me both! I have the storage now but the prices for silly EVs like the fluence and twizy etc are too high right now

The biggest challenge at the moment (again apart from supply issues) is affordability for the masses. Until we there are a few decent sub €40k offerings I think the Govt is going to struggle to achieve their targets.

I think this will only happen at scale once the major Chinese EV manufacturers start supplying the market. They are scaling up and building new factories quite quickly and it wont be long before we see their offerings. Aside from MG, who have got a head start, I'd reasonably expect to see the likes of BYD, XPeng & Nio. Possibly also ORA (EV offshoot of Great Wall Motors), Chery and Aiways. China will dominate the EV space in a decade.

Whilst they are all coming (or in some cases already here) to Europe, our biggest issue is that we need right hand drive cars, so really have to look at when/if they headed to the UK.

• Advertisement

Their prices are only going one way. Within reason. There's one Fluence on DD right now and the asking price is €11k, that's just too much. But I can see these and decent nick Leafs easily being worth €8-9k within the next year or two. Demand is exploding and there simply is no supply of cheap (second hand) electric cars. And prices in the UK of EVs are even higher than here, so even if you wanted to import and pay VRT, import duty and VAT, it wouldn't be feasible.

Perhaps converting existing cars to EV could take off, but this is tricky and expensive and would probably need subsidies to be viable (a company in France is doing it for some of the most popular small cars)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

There was a time that even if all the cars were affordable give it a few years and those same cars on the secondary market became affordable. And with the lack of wear and tear on the drivetrain they should have been 90% as good as new after 3 years. That 50k Model 3 should be 30k after 3 years. But no supply chain and Covid means that there has been no depreciation. The governments scheme to incentivize expensive cars in order to trickle down to the affordable secondary has not worked. Its not that new technologies need to be affordable, its that they need to depreciate as well. In a world of inflation its also hard to make in demand good cheaper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

We need a €25k EV for the masses.

We had them but the overwhelming majority of people were too ignorant / afraid to buy them. A brand new Leaf suitable for a family of 5 was €19.5k on the road with metallic paint and a charger upgrade back in 2016. I paid €25k on the road for my Ioniq in early 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

So why is the entry level now heading towards 40k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Perhaps some of that ‘ignorant’ overwhelming majority, did not have access to charge at home options, the particular car did not have the required range, didn’t trust the brand….. etc, etc, etc…

Post edited by PaulJoseph22 on

Hyundai is rumoured to be working on an new EV platform for small cars, meaning an new EV i10 and Kia Picanto targetting Europe in the price point of €20,000. Obviously Paddy will pay more than our mainland counterparts. But its still in development so we wont be seeing it anytime soon.

BYD have the Dolphin (also badged as an Atto 1 or 2), that could easily be sold below at this price point.

GWM ORA have the Good Cat (Hamao in China) which would probably be slightly more than €25k, but is a Corrolla hatch sized car.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I remember that day they put the ad in the paper. Naas Nissan from memory.

24 kWh car with 6.6kW OBC.

They only had a few in stock and they sold in a day or so!

We need more of those ioniq back. Brilliant car way ahead of its time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Which is why even if EV depreciation is low or non existent it is still difficult to upgrade as the price of new EVs is ballooning yoy. To be honest it's good to see people still buying ICEs/phevs in reasonable numbers as for many these will be the affordable used cars of the future, unless real competition is brought to the EV market by the Chinese. History repeating itself except that this time around it will be with more affordable EVs

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's not all that surprising that the industry turned to heavy EVs first, the emissions target for a given producer is based on the average mass of a manufacturers fleet. Manufacturers who produce heavier vehicles are allowed to emit more CO2 per vehicle. By selling heavy EVs you increase the average mass and reduce the emissions per vehicle so you sort of get to double dip. Selling a light EV only gives you the emissions saving with a lower increase in mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Doesn't take a genius to figure out I saw the Lucid Air. It's a lovely looking car and very classy inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

@innrain - a proprietary system? I hope never.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I can't see a PLC supplying a €20k/€25k EV when they can put those batteries in a much higher selling mid-range price bracket.

Maybe from the "lesser" brands but they would need control influence on the battery supply as the sentence above will surely have the big guys controlling the battery market

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Agree and certainly it won't change while we continue to give a €5k taxpayer subsidy to supply a €60k priced car. Despite many strongly advocating otherwise, the reality is that EVs are currently unaffordable for many people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

If you can afford any of the top selling cars Tuscon, Corolla, Chr, Rav4, Sportage you can afford an EV

This again. There is a €5k Leaf on DoneDeal that nobody seems to want to buy. It will have a lower total cost of ownership than if someone gave you a free petrol or diesel banger. There was a Mitsubishi i-Miev for sale asking €3k for months on end earlier in the year, someone probably bought that for €2k

Are they long distance family size cars? Of course not, but they would suit the overwhelming majority of Irish households as their second car. Even poorer households. Or their first and only car if they don't travel much or go by train / gocar for longer trips or don't mind waiting half an hour here and there while the car fast charges

My last EV cost me just hundreds...

Fair play but how many such EVs are actually out there? As you've said yourself most used EVs are going silly money now even if you could get your hands on one that meets your needs. And even if they were more plentiful there would be some guys who would jump in to make a killing on them. Its bad when you hear lads talking about hoovering up anything reasonable to garage and make a killing from the gullible down the road.

It's all very well describing people as ignorant if they are not straining on the leash to jump on the handful of good value EVs that pop up around the country. In reality the majority of people are not electronics/electrical anoraks so are simply not comfortable assessing the value of such cars.

People will be comfortable moving to EVs when there is a supply of affordable EVs and the industry is in a position to provide decent customer support. Until then the anoraks can continue to benefit from their expertise

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think seeing Taxi EVs is great for the public, always a good sign for a car make/model if you see in widespread Taxi use e.g. MG or ID4

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Absolutely. Nailed. It.

This is absolutely 100% part of the issue. Look at the top selling cars and they're all in the luxury segments, regardless of engine type

Car manufacturers figured out years ago the profit on SUVs is way higher than budget hatchbacks, so they focus all the marketing on those cars

Most of the European manufacturers seem about ready to ditch the budget segment entirely and leave it to the Chinese and Indian brands

This of course filters down to the second hand market. If the only cars available are high spec SUVs that all got bought on PCP and have a minimum resale value that needs to be met, then guess what, there's no cheap cars

Add Brexit woes and the downturn in car purchases since 2008 then there's not a huge inventory of second hand cars out there anyway

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Fiat 500e comes pretty close at €28k. Selling in big numbers in Europe, so I guess a 40kWh battery is enough for most people

A fair chunk of that it for the 500 badge and the nice interior, so in reality it could be cheaper

Really wish the VW E-Up and it's cousins had made it over here in big numbers. They were always very popular in Europe and were great value

I think you're right though, automakers can either make a couple of budget mobiles or one high spec SUV with a huge profit margin. Doesn't take a business degree to figure out which they'll choose

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I have said it before: EVs make perfect second hand cars in Ireland as owner "forgetting" to change oil for past 100k doesn't really affect them. People also hate leaving things plugged in so that stops cars sitting in chargers for days at the time at 100%. Also sedentary driving and/or short drives don't clog them up and cause issues.

Early models can suffer from DC charge abuse due to no charge for charging at the time but any cars registered since 2018 should have lived largely free from the excessive DC use.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve done 10k since April

my old 2006 Touran was getting about 12.2km/100@ €2 a litre. That’s €2,420.

I’ve spent about 300 on electricity. That’s a saving of 2,120 in 5 months !!!!

people with older cars can save way more than 3k.

I’ve also only charged on public chargers a few times. Never had to Q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What range did they have ? They didn’t suit people

Advertisement