Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

At no point have I ever suggested anyone couldn’t be concerned about more than one thing at once. I was the poster who pointed out just as you said, that it was indeed possible to do so, by making the point that I, personally, would be MORE concerned about the small number of Irish people evading paying Billions in taxes they owe, as opposed to the thousands of Ukrainians refugees who are currently being supported by the State.

That’s if I were concerned at all about what any group is costing the taxpayer, or Irish citizens, or whatever other way you’d like to exclude economic migrants, in order to suggest the State shouldn’t be supporting them.

“Finally the govt getting more serious about taking up offers of accommodation. They must accept the second offer or find their own accommodation.”

Lets hope this goes for our own on housing lists. Two offers and you’re on your own seems like a good idea.

A change has been made to the entitlements of Ukrainians. If they’re absent from their accommodation for more than 7 days in any 6 month period, unless in exceptional circumstances, like hospital stay, they’re deemed to be no longer in need of support and they have to start the process all over again.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/47fe6-accommodation-recognition-payment/#:~:text=The%20Absences%20protocol%20seeks%20to,including%20those%20most%20recently%20arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The state is hovering up all the available accommodation, this will result in higher rental prices and more inflation. Where I work we lost three international employees in the last month due to having to move one time too many. It’s not just the price of accommodation that’s the issue but also the lack of stability.

I suspect this is just an opinion. From what has been said they are hoovering up any public spaces they can get and asking people to help with private property. The rental market is affected in three ways, a chronically supply shortage, which will probably not be solved in the next 12-24 months even with all the so-called vulture funds involved. Exacerbating this is the accelerating exit of small landlords from the market. Add in students who are not in accommodation competing for very limited resources and HAP stuff and it's extreme luck for some to find a new place to live. What it is not, is housing Ukrainian refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Barbosa92

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119450159#Comment_119450159 There was an error displaying this embed.

If the government have to take this measure it is obvious that the accommodation being provided is being rampantly abused. Where are all the refugees going that they don’t need accommodation? Off on hols? Back in Ukraine? Crashing with friends in Dublin while holding on to the free beds?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Da Witch of Da West

With the summer coming to its end I notice that little change in the attitude or behavior of the Ukrainians that have been staying in the nearby locations. Most of them have zero interest in work. My neighbor's kid worked in a local restaurant over the summer, he said not one ukrainian ever asked for work there. Meanwhile, the owner dropped leaflets in two hotels where there are groups of ukrainians have been staying. A few of them went to ukraine to visit family and friends, apparently. Yet, the local community is feeling obliged to provide entertainment for them like if they were some sort of bored kids. The attitude of complete entitlement on behalf of ukrainians who come here is shocking. Manners would be nice to have for some them too.

a friend has organized free English language courses only to merge three groups into one, which now encounters less than 10 people. among the complaints: the course is boring, the course has homework to do, the classes are held at inconvenient time... Just to note, she does that all in her free time, free of charge. Classes are held in walking distance.

students' accommodation is another thing. I don't know why people think that students have been flaky about it and protested for all sorts of things but not that. They did. there were protests outside Dail last September, there were letters, petitions, meetings with TDs, you name it. All to come to: ah, well, it is tough but we have no resources... Now magically they found resources to accommodate thousands and thousands of people , most of whom are taking an absolute mickey out of this situation.

Our local primary school emailed to inform there will be another lot of ukrainian kids coming, so they will be looking for free backpacks, pencil cases, stationary, etc... all to be brand new only.

Any process involving resources of the state should have control and supervision. It should not be "open for all" like it is now. It is looking for abuse of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Yes we have cleared it up that Russia have made little to no ground in months and therfore the majority of Ukraine is safe.

So for the benefit of both countries it makes sense for us to help them move to other parts of Ukraine and get rid of chancers rocking up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Christ it's like winning the lottery for some of these chancers. I've heard of two separate cases of families (with the men) housed here and given welfare which is above the average wages at home and both are from parts of rural western Ukraine which hasn't seen as much as a firework go off never mind full scale war. This is absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They have made little advances in the past few weeks for various reasons, large parts of the south and east have been annexed in the months before then.

That is indeed Soviet Expansion comrade.

Missiles still continue to reign in from Belarus in the North and civilian targets all over the Ukraine are being attacked sporadically.

But of course internet warriors would have no problem living there because they are super awesome. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Stop with the hyperbole about soviet expansion, Russia have made very little ground in months, the majority of Ukraine is safe.

Repeating bullshit doesn't make it true.

First, many millions are internally displaced and are being accommodated in western Ukraine.

But secondly, there have been many missile attacks on civilian targets, including those in "safe" "non-combat" areas. If your country was being illegally invaded, would you be happy moving your family from Dublin to Limerick, because Limerick is probably going to be safe?

How short people's memories are. It's literally only a couple of months since the 64km-long RuAF convoy was approaching Kyiv. They got as close as 30km from the centre of Kyiv and only aren't there now because of the fierce resistance they encountered combined with luck with the weather bogging down their main convoy.

• Odesa is on the Black Sea but nowhere near Donbas - repeatedly attacked with cruise missiles.
    • Vinnytsia is in central Ukraine - attacked with rockets last month.
    • Kremenchuk is also in central Ukraine, nowhere near a combat zone. A shopping mall attacked with missiles, during the day.

There are many more examples.

Finland and Sweden are now clamoring to join NATO. Why? Because they don't trust Russia to confine their expansion to the Donbas region (after they'd already annexed Crimea!). I think ordinary Ukrainian citizens, then, are perfectly justified in not hanging around in what boardsies deem to be "safe" areas.

• Advertisement

We’ve all heard about those two families. Heard about them. No one has ever met them. Strange that.

“Off on hols? Back in Ukraine? Crashing with friends in Dublin”

Id imagine that it’s one of the above.

The current system is designed to be abused by any spoofer that can climb on a plane. It will eventually reach an unsustainable limit and start crumbling and then you’ll find genuine refugees are being turned away while spoofers that got in first are being looked after. This is the end result of wanting to look good instead of dealing with a solution practically, you are doing more harm than good. Then the end result is a resentment to all refugees and not just the imposters and economic migrants.

The current system is absolutely not designed to be abused. It’s designed to provide support to people who need it, who are already assessed as being in genuine need of support. You’ll never find genuine refugees being turned away, but they would be granted that status by more objective standards than any individual’s personal beliefs about their legitimacy.

You speak of this being the end result of wanting to look good, and your concerns for rising inflation and international employees being unable to find accommodation all the rest of it, but you’re engaging in some first class NIMBYism with your whole nonsense about social housing being the last priority in high demand areas and refugees should be in camps with no social welfare benefits or child benefit and simply call it by another name - a subsistence allowance. Still nothing to suggest it wouldn’t amount to the same thing.

What you’d end up with is simply even more people being priced out of the property market and rents skyrocketing as people who could afford to pay would want to move into the nicer areas, creating an even greater wealth gap than already exists. That’s not to mention the cost of providing amenities like schools and other utilities in areas where there is no demand because nobody wants to live there. You’d simply end up with what is becoming of Dublin City already with the numbers of people who are homeless living in tents, and transient employees living in high-demand areas in properties which are owned by their employers.

Your end-goal is all too obvious - reconfigure society so that you become the main beneficiary of those systems, and you aren’t surrounded by riff-raff. Your proposals aren’t dealing with anything practically, they’re just a means for YOU to look good by comparison to the people you believe should be in encampments. It has nothing to do with reducing resentment towards refugees. It’s blatantly obvious that if you had your way, nobody would qualify for refugee status if you could help it.

Thankfully for everyone else in Irish society, yours are the sort of ideas that belong in the pub, as opposed to public policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wonder if planning permission was granted subject to it being for student occupancy only?

Would a change of use application be needed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I don’t normally read your incredibly lengthy posts (btw have you nothing better to do all day than post on boards) but that post makes absolutely no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

a friend has organized free English language courses only to merge three groups into one, which now encounters less than 10 people. among the complaints: the course is boring, the course has homework to do, the classes are held at inconvenient time... Just to note, she does that all in her free time, free of charge. Classes are held in walking distance.

That's very admirable and to be applauded but boring keeps people in bed. It's not a unique complaint to Ukrainians. It very likely includes mixed level classes, which is very hard to teach. She's done her bit and all she can do is help those who still really want to do it and not take it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

There already rebuilding or did you miss that on the news ? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Irish people - Whilst you sit away sweating in your office on the nicest days of the summer getting your ass taxed to the hilt, worrying about inflation & cost of living increases grown Ukranian men are out at the beach laughing at you & getting their dinner cooked daily.

Telegram groups light up daily with questions of bringing entire families here (from safe havens) unchecked, unvetted, with ideas of free 'payments' and eventually free houses . The great escape is long over. We are now in the phase of the free for all. Make no mistake about it Ireland is known internationally as a weak nation. It is known for having zero military and over reliance on its neighbours to protect it. Its easy to see why it creates such naive people, even the media celebrates rural towns having more refugees than natives in it. Students (the future of this country) are on the verge of getting wrecked come the start of Semester. Absolutely tragic stuff lads and through all of this the flood gates remain open. They really are aiming for 200k like they said & they ain't going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Da Witch of Da West

The point was not in admiring one's voluntary work but rather in observing no effort in improving their own situation by Ukrainians who stay there.

The woman in question - a teacher - has experience in teaching English to foreigners. Classes were divided into levels, she mentioned that majority got rather poor English. Boring as a valid reason? seriously? I would accept it as an excuse from a 6 year old alright. But to hear such a "reason" from adults who do sweet nothing all day, live in a country and speak no language? You get free classes at your doorstep (no travel, 5 minute walk). It is ridiculous.

It had nothing to do with content of the classes but rather with the attitude. There are still a few people who are sticking with the classes and at least making effort to be self-sufficient in small things, like going groceries or asking for basic things without looking for a translator. but majority, sadly, treat the whole situation as a free stay with everything handed to them at first request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Where did all the Irish flee for help during the troubles?

You were more likely to get blown up by a bomb in ireland than you are in the safe parts of Ukraine now.

Its quiet possible people posting here lived through worse than those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,448 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

As I posted earlier on thread, there were special refugee green cards or visas given out by the US for people from Northern Ireland back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Why, when they could have just moved south?

Did you read the post I was responding to? It might help you make sense of the one post of mine that you don’t normally read anyway.

Btw, no Officer, I don’t have anything better to do when I’m posting on Boards. If I did, I’d be doing that instead.

Would I be right in thinking that doesn’t make any sense to you either? Bet you regret wasting your time reading this post now too 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

So you think refugees living in tents and occupying hotels all over the country, holiday homes, leisure facilities , student accommodation and even looking at hospitals and any kind of of derelict building is not reaching a limit?

80,000 year to date in the middle of a massive housing crisis.

Go on outta dat.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

I guess maybe to do with the US wanting to offer employment opportunities to Irish at the same time? My mother's family fled to Dublin during the troubles but I never heard anything about the refugee green cards before, at any rate Irish that went to the US wouldn't have had free handouts left right and centre so not the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

So have you opened up your own home to help these people?

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119450371#Comment_119450371 There was an error displaying this embed.

Looks like I was right. Direct quote below from a conversation amongst Ukrainians. Couple went back to Ukraine and left two grandmothers in Ireland in accommodation designed for 6. Of course Ireland doesn’t have the balls to implement the 7 days rule. The 2 grandmothers don’t want to share with each other the poor things.

“Husband and wife have not lived in our hotel for 3 weeks, while the husband left Ukraine because he is the guardian of his 82-year-old mother, his wife's mother 73 years old is also here. They left their grandmothers in the hotel, and left themselves. At the same time, the room stands with things and no one evicts them, and grandmothers have each separate triple room, they did not want to live together. So not everywhere they comply with the law on 7 days, probably just designed for people's conscience.”

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

To be fair he is right.

I couldn't make head nor tail of that post.

• Advertisement

No I haven’t, I think they’ve already suffered enough 😂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement