Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental HEO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 CreepOfTheWeek

Got another email from PAS with the Candidate Self Declaration form and it does say 'Please note, once you have been assigned from the Dublin panel you will no longer receive any consideration in your other selected region'. My reading of that would be similar to your assumption that you are only removed from the regional panel once you are assigned a position from the Dublin panel. Although sometimes with PAS it is better to double check these things!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Maryirish1

Hi Lads,

Just wondering did anyone here anything about the shortlisting for Clare/Limerick or Galway

I emailed and got a vague answer - will be shortlisted Clare/Limerick as positions arise.

Are they going to shortlist batch 2 and 3 for Dublin first and then go on to Galway and Clare/Limerick

just another question the regarding presentation and report, what's that all about - if someone could give me a steer on this i would be very grateful.

thanks a mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Do we provide a reference for previous departments within the three years or do they just contact them to verify the dates and get a reference from your current department?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hungerjames

My understanding is they'll just contact your Department's central HR directly to confirm dates etc, vs. specific direct reports that we give them. There's no space on the form to name anyone.

• Advertisement

I don't know for sure but they seem to just contact central HRs directly.

Hopefully we will be assigned before September

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

They just contact central HR directly, and they'll contact your line manager in turn to complete the reference form. That's how it works in my place anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jewel22

I think PAS are only shortlisting for Dublin and Galway for now. As everyone that were placed for both these regions have been appointed from the HEO 2020 competition. There is still panels in place for the other regions from the HEO 2020...which wont be closing until the end of January 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 megger

This was the response from PAS. Seems absolutely crazy to me!

If you agree to enter clearance for Dublin then you are removed from your other region of choice. Once a candidate has been assigned they are removed from the other selected region of choice at the outset of the clearance process as clearance can move quite quickly for the HEO competitions with not much time between entering into clearance and being assigned a vacancy.

Therefore, if you agree to enter clearance for a Dublin position, you will be eliminated from your other regional choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 claireisaman

Anybody any idea where they might start placing people? I'm hearing a lot of talk about housing and children at the moment.

We know the old list is exhausted, and we know from meggers correspondence above that clearance is generally considered to be a very quick process. We also know that HEOs are desperately needed in the Civil Service right now - so a delay between finishing the old list and starting the new one probably won't happen.

The only thing that would hold anything up right now is various Departmental HR departments being down staff because it's popular to take leave in August, so a longer time taken to write back to clearance requests or in placing people they are subsequently allocated than usual - otherwise it'll be really quick. I'm starting succession and handover type work now, with a general view that I'll probably be elsewhere from September.

I'm really curious about what Departments everyone gets.

Hi Jewell22,

thanks for replying, much appreciated.

Well if it's 2023, i could be dead and gone. the waiting will kill me. Might as well forget about getting anything from PAS 2022.

Should have put Dublin down - anyone who got Dublin should grab it with both hands, and get your name on a transfer list asap.

thanks again for all the info

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jewel22

You will get called eventually....with all PAS competitions you just need to be patient. The closing date for the HEO 2020 was the 12th January 2021. I was not called to the 2nd stage of the competition until the end of October 2021...By then PAS had nearly exhausted the Dublin panel. Dublin always takes priority as that is where most of the positions are.

I was called to the third stage of the competition in January 2022 and had my Interview and results in February. I placed in the top 5 OOM on both my regions after interview and I am still waiting to get appointed.

Best of luck to you in the 2022 competition!

I’ve decided to pull out of the Dublin panel and just wait for my regional one. I was hoping PAS would be able to tell me a location or department before making the decision but looks like they can’t so I can’t take the risk.

Scores from Dublin interview will carry over to Region anyway and January isn’t that far away! Better than the possibility of commuting to the City Centre every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Can i ask how that works? You could be further down on a regional panel then the first batch that get shortlisted but have already passed an interview. If they dont eventually reach your number then i would assume you wouldnt get appointed as a HEO?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MaryRyan48

Wow so you get pulled from the panel just for entering clearance and before you even know where you will be placed?? That seems a bit extreme and such a waste of time if people decide they don't want the department and have gone through all the clearance at that stage 🙈 I have Dublin down but only accepting if the role has good flexibility in regards to working from home but sounds like I won't know that to be in a position to make my mind up! (All based on passing the interview too of course 🤣)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭08122019

I only thought of that aspect of things a while ago (I haven’t formally made the decision yet!). So I am in top 10 in my region based on the first stage tests but I presume if they don’t pull up to my number for people to do interviews then I won’t be placed on the panel! If they do pull up to my OOM then my scores from Dublin will count.

Back to wrecking my head trying to make a decision again!!

God, they don't half drag the ass out of it. Best of luck with it. I'm going to put it out of my mind and try and keep going over the competencies.

Which I'm finding pure torture and the scorching weather outside. I'll have deal with the presentation and report when it comes?

thanks for all the news.

• Advertisement

I don't know megger, can you do the blending working - i thought this was the way it was going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

If I was you I would clarify that with PAS before deciding because I'm not sure that sounds right to me from my knowledge of PAS. You could accept Dublin and put your transfer request in day 1

Probably a How long is a piece of string question, but how long does clearance generally take does any know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RubySun401

My Central HR told me that once they send the references back to PAS, that's your clearance completed, and you should hear of where you're being assigned in a couple of days. Might be longer if you're placed in a Department that requires additional vetting though.

One thing I'll mention is that I've heard the 'advanced' Garda Vetting you do for the DoJ or AGS isn't taking nearly nearly as long anymore as it used to. I was 6 months waiting on it a few years ago but everyone says it's a lot quicker now.

same here, it took 6 months. Although I have heard that its still as long as 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dowdly

Does anyone know if your line manager has to give it the go ahead, or is it just the local HR? My PMDS is all good, but my line manager is on leave until early-September, so I'm wondering if that'd delay things?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dowdly

An AP and EO from my section have both been promoted and assigned there in the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RubySun401

I know that my line manager had to fill in a form to send back to local HR, so if you have someone else you could get to fill it in in their absence no harm in checking if you're worried about it delaying!

• Advertisement

Delete

Advertisement