Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Oddly, I was only on vacation in South Padre Island. Just got back. I do tend to respond to reported posts, mind. But now I'm looking, I received no notification before the mention

Will have a look in the morning. Post vacation chaos with the kids right now

OK, after catching up...

Turns out the reported post notifications went into my spam folder. I'll set about fixing that. In future if I don't respond one way or another to a report within two or three days (I will often message a reporter as to why no action is being taken, if such is my decision), please tag me as Banie did above.

[MOD]

In the meantime...

@TheTruth89 I have a general policy of being lenient, once. To show I care. You have not come on my radar before. Thus you have merely been awarded an infraction for the pure trolling/insulting commentary in post 3874. That's my being nice. If you have issue with the DF or its personnel as a concept, then take it to where it belongs in the "Politics" subforum. This forum presumes that the military is a given.

Now, for future reference: This is not a thread for advocating the merits or cost-benefits of the Health Service or the Gardai. If you believe that the Irish military can achieve its government-mandated taskings by methods other than acquisition of fighter aircraft, you may of course provide the alternatives for discussion. "Materiel" is only part of a DOTMLPF analysis, after all, there are six other possibilities to consider, which may prove less costly. If you believe the government-mandated taskings need changing, that is not a subject for this thread, and arguably should be in "Politics." There are a couple of Irish military-related threads which exist there.

There are more arguments at hand in this thread than just defending Ireland against a total invasion by some foreign power, and this thread makes little reference to such an event. (That said, "Defend the State against armed aggression" is the first directed task of the Defence Forces, so it's not beyond consideration: "ongoing assessment" is also part of the directive). Focusing purely on this hypothetical, which all here agree is not a current priority, is distracting and will be considered further trolling.

If you have any questions on the above, I do respond to PMs.

@ALL OTHERS All the above notwithstanding, as I look back over Truth's appearance on this thread which started this all off, I am compelled to note that the response of immediate hostility to a poster coming in with arguments shot down previously is not an acceptable one. The reality is that this thread is over 100 pages long, and people may jump in without having gone through the whole thread. You may have dealt with the argument a dozen times before, but it can still be offputting to readers and make the forum seem decidedly cliquish. A simple "This has been discussed earlier in the thread, and rejected because..." will get the person up to speed. Future attitudes can be determined (within the bounds of the forum rules) by subsequent postings.

[/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I guess even a strong airforce of say 50 latest jets wouldn't stop a determined power. Probably most would be destroyed on the ground in the first hour of an invasion.

However, that doesn't mean a few capable interceptors say 4-6 to do just that to ward off a stray bomber or similar wouldn't be useful. Also have a larger number of simpler advanced jet trainers in support (12-20).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

I think you are on the right lines there Saab. Just a question of fine tuning the numbers and aircraft type. I'd go for greater numbers of the high spec interceptors and also at least one heavy lift plane such as the Embraer KC 390 and a new government jet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You'd need a decent number considering the amount of maintenance and servicing fighter aircraft require. They need to overlap cover when aircraft are unavailable.

"....F-16s currently requires 33 maintenance man-hours per flying-hour..."

That said this thread almost always drifts into big numbers of aircraft very quickly. The idea of fewer aircraft for policing airspace isn't popular in this thread vs more aircraft able to take on combat roles far beyond just policing the air space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 sako75varmint

Oddly for some strange reason I had thought Ireland to be neutral, or non-aligned, even if nominally so. I find it strange then that we as a 'neutral' state might profess to declare for a particular side, that we might consider outsourcing defense of our airspace to the very land which has maintained an unbroken military occupation over Ireland since 1169. All too easily we fall for the propaganda that is spun by corporate funded private media and EU/state controlled media so that we might take such a foolish step. There seems no hope for this land when its citizens thoughts can be so easily shaped by powerful global elites

• Registered Users Posts: 24,086 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So which side is the global fat cat bilderburger NWO elite great reset Davos Freemason Covax mainstream media?

The Brits or the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭thomil

I see where you're coming from, but even for a simple air policing mission, the number of aircraft you'll need is going to be higher than just the 4-6 aircraft you mentioned. I went through the numbers way back in the early days of this thread, but I think it bears repeating.

For starters, interception procedures are generally designed around two aircraft, with one aircraft communicating with the target and the other one hanging back and providing cover for the first in case things go sideways. You can see that outlined in the intercept procedures published by the FAA which I'll be using as an example here: National Security and Interception Procedures (faa.gov) Beyond interceptions, fighter tactics and procedures have generally evolved around a two-ship formation, going back all the way to WW1. So it is only fair to assume a flight of two fighter aircraft as the basic tactical element in an air force.

This means that in the case of an unknown aircraft detected approaching Irish air space, two fighters would be scrambled to intercept the intruder. That also means that these two aircraft will need to be ready to go 24/7/365. For that to happen, you need to take into consideration the "Rule of 3" when it comes to complex military equipment. For every one unit of a sufficiently complex system (aircraft, helicopters, warships, etc.) to be available around the clock, you need three in total: One on stand-by, one working up to operational status, and one down for maintenance, repair, etc.. For our interceptors this means that you'll need at least six aircraft to ensure that you can have two sitting on alert at all times. If you want to have a second pair of interceptors available in case another unknown contact shows up whilst the first pair is on a call-out, this number climbs to twelve total aircraft.

However, that covers just the basic intercept duty and allows for no training whatsoever, whilst aircraft and pilots might be sitting on the ground for days on end without an alert. The US Air Force states that their pilots need 150 flying hours per year, three flights per week, to keep their basic skills, whilst 200 hours per year, equaling four flights per week, are generally seen as the ideal amount to ensure that the pilots are really proficient: Fighter Pilots Aren’t Flying Enough to Hone the Skills of Full-Spectrum War - Defense One

Whilst some of that flying can of course be done in a simulator, there's no substitute for actual flying experience, which means you'll need to account for that in the aircraft inventory. To allow for proper training and provide some residual capability for Combat Air Patrols over high-profile events in the country, you'd ideally want 4-6 extra fighters to give you that ability. That takes the total number of aircraft up to 16-18, the size of most fighter squadrons around the world. Let's use the smaller size, 16, for this example.

This squadron of 16 fighters is enough to ensure a basic intercept capability and a modicum of training for the pilots to remain proficient. In many larger air forces, this would be okay, as they would have numerous squadrons for different purposes. Ireland, if/when it goes down the route of developing an intercept/air combat capability, will likely not have this luxury. This can cause a problem when it comes to integrating newly trained pilots into the squadron. Currently, Ireland operates eight Pilatus PC-9M as both "combat" aircraft and primary flight trainers. For all the flak that the PC-9s get in public perception for being propeller-driven aircraft, they're actually pretty good for the training role.

However, they are not sufficient to prepare pilots for the physical and mental stresses that flying a modern fighter brings with it. Both the system complexity of a modern fighter and the g-forces that will be encountered by the pilots are an order of magnitude above what the PC-9s can do. So there'll need to be some sort of bridge between the primary flight training element and the frontline squadron. In larger air forces, such as the RAF, the Luftwaffe or the USAF, this is done with dedicated advanced training squadrons operating aircraft like the BAE Hawk or the T-38 Talon. This is in my eyes, not an option for Ireland as we will need to get the most out of every single cent we put into the air force. Instead, what is needed in my eyes is an "operational conversion unit" made up of double-seat versions of the front-line fighter aircraft.

Since this unit will not only teach student pilots the ins and outs of the aircraft type but will also train them on intercept techniques, air combat tactics, maybe some ground attack and so on, it will need to be built around the basic two-ship element that I mentioned in the second paragraph. consequently, to ensure proper availability and flexibility, we should be looking at at least six, more likely eight double-seaters for this operational conversion unit to accompany the single-seaters in the front-line squadron. For Ireland, going for double-seaters instead of dedicated training aircraft would have the added bonus of providing a few extra air frames that can be slotted in for combat air patrol or other eventualities.

In total, even this very basic set of requirements, two sets of interceptors ready to go 24/7, a basic training and CAP capability and the ability to ingest freshly qualified pilots and get them up to speed will require a total of 24 air frames, 16 single seaters and 8 double seaters. It may sound like overkill to some, but once you go through the numbers, it's nowhere near as over the top as it may seem.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

The previous GOC Air Corps Brigadier General Ralph James retd., has given detailed explanations as to why 16 airframes, including 2 x 2 seaters is the number.

This may or may not require more advanced trainers in support, I'm not sure. But either way, talk of 25 or 50 planes is simply fanciful. There are modern NATO members who can't even field 50 fighter planes, so I think I'll just agree with General James on this one.

Remember, we are only talking about QRA and patrol of the seas and skies of the territory and EEZ. No foreign deployment and no war fighting.

With all due respect to General James, the only thing a total of 16 aircraft, including two double-seaters will get Ireland is a lot of exhibits for aviation museums. It certainly won't be enough to ensure QRA availability and give pilots not on QRA rotation the 3-4 flights a week they'll need to keep their skills up, let alone integrating new pilots into the fast jet squadron. Hell, Austria tried something similar with their Eurofighter fleet, just 15 aircraft, and even with a well-established fast jet force and the appropriate training capabilities, they had massive issues in keeping and retaining enough pilots to keep the Eurofighters operational. If Ireland does go ahead with purchasing fast jets, it will likely be the only such purchase for many decades, so the "meh, good enough" attitude that is so entrenched in this country will only result in providing the appearance of capability, but not the actual capability.

• Advertisement

Who said anything about purchasing?

The renewable leases with Saab that Czechia and Hungary have for the JAS-39 would be the ideal model. It keeps the fleet modern of technology and renewed every few years.

Its worth noting, that each of those nations have 12 and 14 of the type, respectively, despite their strategic geography.

Both of these fleets are supported by L-39 jet trainers, which also have a useful ground attack role. And yes, the Czechs have moved to acquire 24 of the F-35 from America to enhance their capabilities.

However, given all possible comparisons, a fleet in that 12 to 16 range, of Gen 4 / 4.5 fighters, would be more than adequate for Ireland.

There is also an element of economy of scale. The support structure of training and maintenance facilities for a 12-aircraft-fleet isn't going to be much cheaper than that of a 20-aircraft fleet. That said, keeping enough pilots airworthy to man a 20-aircraft fleet with flight hours will cost a lot more than a 12-aircraft fleet.

You do know that the Czech Republic is looking to bow out of that program in favor of purchasing F-35As, right? They're also looking to increase the number of aircraft from 14 to 24.

Czech Republic selects F-35 as next fighter jet (defensenews.com)

What's more, the Czech Air Force also operates a fleet of 24 Aero L-159 ALCA, twin seat jet trainers and light combat aircraft, so they have the capacity to move some of their flying training away from the Gripen fleet without compromising the availability of said fleet for QRA missions, etc.. That brings their actual fast jet inventory to 36. Hungary is purchasing 12 Aero L-39NG for the same purpose, bringing their fast jet inventory up to 26, Ireland doesn't have any such capability. The PC-9s aren't just not in the same ballpark as modern fast jets, they're not even in the same city!

And really, I don't think our positions are that far apart, to be honest. we're mostly in agreement on the number of actual single-seat fighters, ideally around 16 in my eyes, 12 in yours from how I understood your post.

However, we will need an aircraft to transition pilots from trainer aircraft to the actual front-line fighters, as CZ and HU, and most other NATO countries are doing. Outsourcing that capability is theoretically possible, Austria is training their Eurofighter pilots at Tactical Air Wing 73 in Rostock-Laage, the Luftwaffe's operational conversion unit for the Eurofighter. But this is a bad choice in my eyes, especially if we want to avoid a brain drain and build up proper institutional knowledge. So in my eyes, the best options is still to get a number of double-seat aircraft for that conversion role. That can be done with jet trainers like the L-159, L-39NG, or BAE Hawk, but that would massively complicate logistics for a small force like the Air Corps. That's why I'm so adamant about getting additional double-seaters for fast jet and conversion training.

True, regarding the flight hours. The big question is going to be whether a twelve aircraft fleet will provide enough opportunities for flight crews and ground crews to build up enough experience to remain proficient in the long run. Remember the "Rule of 3" I mentioned above. With a twelve aircraft squadron, you can expect four to be down for scheduled maintenance at any one time. that leaves eight aircraft available, out of which at least two will be assigned to QRA duty and thus unavailable. That doesn't leave a lot of room for training or other eventualities, especially if the QRA aircraft are dispatched and you need to assign two additional aircraft to replace the QRA aircraft, at least until those have returned, been checked, refueled, etc.. That reduces the amount of actually available aircraft to four. Given that you'll likely have more pilots than aircraft, that doesn't give you much breathing space.

With a eighteen-aircraft fleet, the number of aircraft likely down for maintenance does increase to six, true, but if we're keeping the number of QRA aircraft to two, with two more to replace them if the first pair are dispatched on a mission, that still leaves eight aircraft available for training, exercises and similar tasks. I used eighteen here instead of the twenty that you mentioned simply because it's much easier to break it down into thirds.

Even that eighteen-aircraft fleet does not however leave any room for fast jet training for new pilots or type conversion, so additional airframes will be needed for that.

Yeah if you'd read all of my post you'd see I did mention the F35 acquisition by CZE.

The point being, that even though the strategic threat level for eastern European states has increased - and this move by CZE is prudent in that regard - the Gripen deal they have had would still be ideal for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

When people talk about fighter jets it's the tip of the iceberg when it comes to true cost of all the associated costs.

That's going to be hard sell...

All perfectly valid, but I can't imagine why the 'alert' aircraft can't be doing training flights at the same time as being ready to divert. It's not as if the country is so large that if they're doing maneuvers over Galway Bay that they can't be told to divert North to Donegal to investigate a Bear incoming. Or alternatively, the standby aircraft. If they're training when the QRA gets set up, the standby can land, refuel, and be prepared to relieve.

You're not kidding!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭roadmaster

All the F16s & F18s that our european parteners are replacing with F35s, What is happening with them are they for the scrap heap or has other nations already bought them?

A mixture of both no doubt.

Some airframes are flogged to death or spend their time hangared in extreme conditions, while others are low mileage and all that.

Some will be offered for sale as serviceable, some stripped for spares, or, in the case of new purchases coming from America, the Yanks will often take back good examples and put them into the Air National Guard or deactivate them for desert storage in case they might be needed again.

There are a few good YouTube videos about what goes on at the Boneyard when older, but not expired airframes, are stripped and stored. The logistics behind it all are mind boggling.

That's very true, but those Saab lease deals do in fact include tech support, simulators, training phases and armaments.

They're like the air force equivalent of Hertz. All you need to do is supply some drivers - which is of course a hugely expensive line item in itself, but at least its all fairly predictable for budgeting purposes.

Of course when it comes to Ireland, we're starting from such a low base, we will be looking at hardened hangars, improved military ATC, improved ground handling and fire response, additional techies and ground crew, weapons storage, logistics, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Like any project, you can have it fast and good, good and cheap, or fast and cheap, but never all three.

• Advertisement

True, Ireland is not a large country. However, the issue here is not whether there might be air assets available that can be diverted in case an unknown and unresponsive aircraft is approaching Irish air space. The issue is their load-out. QRA fighters are always armed. They're likely not carrying a full war load but will at least have a full set of rounds for their cannon and a couple of missiles, as well as a couple of external fuel tanks. This is not the kind of setup you want to be sending up on a two-ship cross country navigation run, on air defence drills with the navy, or on a low-level run through the Mach Loop over in Wales. These things have been known to drop from their hard points before, and I can't imagine that a home owner say in Mitchelstown, Co Cork, would be too please if the suddenly had an ASRAAM or an IRIS-T crash through their roof, even if it is inert. And air combat training with live weapons? That's a friendly fire incident waiting to happen. at most, you'll be launching any sorties of that nature with a couple of inert training rounds and some recording equipment for the debrief. This also makes the concept of having a standby flight land and take their position on the QRA line problematic, as it would not just require refuelling and the usual post-flight checks, but also re-arming the aircraft, which can take some time.

There's also a rather more grim reason for sticking with a higher number of air frames. Attrition. Sooner or later, even the best trained pilots will make a mistake, or find themselves dealing with a technical issue. That can be a pilot blacking out due to g-loc during air combat training and crashing into a mountain or a cliff. A fighter suffering a bird strike whilst on final approach to their base. An engine overheating and catching fire on take-off. A mid-air collision on a navigation run. There can be all sorts of reasons but the bottom line is that aircraft WILL be lost at some point. And the government at the time might not be willing to pay for a replacement aircraft. If the number of airframes in the inventory is too low, this could very well lead to a situation where the squadron is not able to provide continuous QRA coverage and crew training anymore.

Except for the fact that the Gripen deal is not the whole story with regards to the Czech Air Force, which you would have seen if you'd read my reply properly. They have a significant number of advanced jet trainers that can shoulder a lot of the load with regards to conversion training, navigation training, air combat tactics and so on. Ireland doesn't have that and even if our politicians can remove their collective heads from their own posterior and decide to invest in setting up an air combat capability for the Air Corps, they're not going to be spending money on setting up an extra fast jet trainer squadron, which would drastically complicate logistics. So that will end up being dumped onto the shoulders of whatever fighter squadron Ireland ends up getting. Seriously, I feel like I'm talking to a bloody wall here.

Now granted, the general idea of this long-term lease does have its attraction, I grant you that. And to be honest, I believe that the Gripen would be the ideal aircraft for Ireland. But twelve single seaters and two double-seaters will leave Ireland desperately short on aircraft once attrition begins to take its toll. A former boss of mine loved to say that "if you buy cheap, you end up buying twice", and that's a saying that I've found to be pretty accurate throughout the years.

Many of those aircraft will be 30-40 years old and their air frames will likely be coming to the end of their life spans. The F/A-18s might still be usable since they were originally designed as carrier aircraft and are thus more robust, but I doubt any of the F-16s currently in use with European air forces will be around for more than a few years, a decade at best. What's more, the base design is over forty years old in both cases. A long-term lease of Gripens is a far better option in my eyes, so long as we can get a decent number.

Both the warload and attrition are fair points.

Why is attrition an issue if the lease conditions the supply of new airframes and swap-outs as needed?

If you have 16 airframes, 2 twins and the balance single, then having 4 (QRA + relief flight) of 14 single seaters operational at any one time, is not an excessive demand.

If Saab are presented with an operational requirement and they respond with an offer that 12/14/16 aircraft will satisfy it, then it becomes their problem to supply additional relief aircraft if the contract is not being performed.

Gripen E/F is a more than capable interceptor that will operate in service probably until fighter planes finally cease being manned at all and are proven to be rugged and efficient. A lease there, would be about as safe a solution as safe gets in such matters.

The Czech model looks pretty cost effective to me. A smaller fleet of interceptors supported by a couple of squadrons of L39 NG. It reduces the training demand and maintenance cost on the interceptors. I reckon the KAI Fighting Falcon would do the job of seeing off Bears etc quite easily.

Why would we even vaguely think of a Korean variant F-16??

Going to translate the knobs and dials for us JB??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭roadmaster

In regards to training could we not just outsource to the contry that supplys the jets or just go to a friendly nation the way the pliots went to Aus & the USA. Even when canada gets there 295s fully up and running we could send crew there to get trained on the casas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

I'm not so sure that HAS are a thing any more, more important to keep your QRA on the ramp, but in the shade, ready to startup.

The First gulf war demonstrated the pointlessness of the HAS, when a missile would just fly in the door.

I'd still be looking for a mix of about 40 fast jet aircraft. to keep pilots current, and maintain the QRA. 16 Gen 4/4.5 or even the KAI offering, and the remainder must be at this stage LIFT type, or armed advanced trainers, such as the L39 variant or M-349. Forget using something like the PC9m or PC21 for Basic or LIFT. Better off having something Grob Tutor like for Basic, and after enough sim hours, move onto the jet world, with jet manoeuvring. Turboprops are great for training, and aerobatics but formation flying a TP and formation flying a jet where you are close enough for the aircraft in front to start melting your windshield if you get it wrong, is a whole other game.

South Africa though should be a constant reminder how the best of plans can go wrong. Unless you are ready to fund the maintenance this type requires, you are wasting your time, and money

Lol, its a good point.

Lidl Middle Aisle Fighter Jet Gazebos for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Don't knock it till you tried it.

• Advertisement

Little Cracker that! Is that the Italian job or the Kia?

Advertisement