Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rare warm and dry August week ahead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

It's so uplifting to know that there is a good spell on the way. A neighbour is going to cut and save hay for the first time since 2003. He knocked the meadow this evening and needs about 5 good warm dry days to get it saved. Going to make haycocks. A rare sight in rural Ireland today. He is betting on the weather holding until Sunday and if he can get Monday dry, all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

Not sure where exactly would be a good spot for an official weather station in Cork city maybe Fitzgerald Park.

The difference in temps between the airport and the city is anywhere from 1 to 3 degrees. Had to go to the airport today and the car was reading 24.5C in the city but only 21.5C at the airport. Now the car isn't exactly accurate but you would think the difference could be relied on. Just don't think the airport reflection of what the temp is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Regional Park in Ballincollig would probably be more suitable, bit more open and away from the city centre. I always refer to Moore Park in Fermoy during warm spells as the temp in the city is probably similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I know its a lovely week of weather in prospect, but the auld reservoirs aren't looking great for the time of year. I hope we see about a month of normal rainfall once this heat passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Agreed it was a great weekend, wishing you all the best for Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Clonmel climate station again the hottest spot so far today with at least 26.7C.

Oak Park 25.6C

Piltown 25.6C

Bunclody 25.5C

Inishcarra 25.5C

Moore Park 25.0C

Mallow 24.8C

Thomastown 24.7C

Dead on 20c at Malin head. I think that might be the first time it has reached 20c this year. During the hot spell last month I think it got up to 19c for a couple of hours. If it did hit 20c earlier in the year I can’t remember it anyway.

It reached 20C various days in July, 23.0C on the 17th. Also the 11th, 23rd and 29th. All one day wonders.

At least 27.5C now at Clonmel, that's already the highest August temperature in Ireland since 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Oak and Moore park 26 degrees at 3pm. Casement in Dublin at 25 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Ah yes.. I remember it well! I think would nearly take similar again rather than 25 degrees.. maybe not as much rain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Is this warm spell likely to break down with Thunderstorms not that I want it to its lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - High Temperature warning for Leinster and Munster

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Very warm or hot on Thursday, Friday and Saturday with maximum temperatures generally of 27 to 29 degrees. Warm at night with temperatures generally staying above 15 degrees. Daytime temperatures may not be as high in coastal areas due to sea breezes.

Impacts:

• Heat stress, especially for the more vulnerable of the population

• High Solar UV index

• Risk of water related incidents

Valid: 12:00 Thursday 11/08/2022 to 06:00 Sunday 14/08/2022

Issued: 15:27 Tuesday 09/08/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm not in the yellow warning unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

I remember 30c on a Sunday, 20 August 1995. In the Midlands and East. As late as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Cork2021

And it’s now a heatwave! The weather this summer has been good. But the clouds hampered it a bit to be honest. Role on the rest of this week and to melt at a wedding on Thursday!

Gonna disregard this climate station for the moment as it showed 29.0C at 1600, 3 degrees higher than any other station! It looks sheltered using its coordinates on WOW judging by Google Maps.

More reliably, 26.0C at Moore Park and Oak Park on their AWS, as someone already said.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Beautiful weather. It's a bit too hot for me in full sun, but in the shade/under a brolly is just perfect. Reminds me of being abroad. Lifts the spirits!

Inside temp in my cool kitchen (sun gone from that corner an hour or so) is 25.9. Bedrooms on the South facing side have had the blackout blinds down and windows closed since about 9am.

It will be a warm night anyway. Enjoy.

Sorry I am not able to contribute to the isobar expertise!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Fantastic weather and a great summer it's been here in Wexford

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Moore Park 27C on met eireann. Phone is saying 26C here at Dunshaughlin and feels every bit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

We have a weather station just outside Clonmel on the Carrick side. 26.2C at 1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Poor old Connaught and donegal,cant catch a break,

cant get one f"ing hot day.

It astounds me,iv never seen such a pronounced protracted contrast.

17 degrees, pig flow and and stratus gloom

then during the really fine spells, anaemic temperatures and a constant biting wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

Same here and surely enough it is at 27C today while the airport is at 24C.

Ballincollig Regional Park would be a good spot alright but considering the number of places in the midlands in particular that lack stations they'll hardly put a 5th one in Cork county.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I had a glorious day in North Donegal, inishowen. Some light clouds but don't think they got in the way of the sun at all.

Roasting in the full sun today, can't imagine it getting warmer as the week goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Been as warm in Sligo today as it has been in Dublin, bit of a general statement there.

Completely clear skies which is not the norm though.

Also Athenry, Newport and Mt. Dillon are frequently high temps.

Sligo for example had around 20 days in July where temps hit 20 degrees, look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I hope i get into the yellow warning, it's 25c here in Carrick and same the rest of the week except Saturday 28c is expected

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Arpege going for 33C around Oak Park on Saturday. Not sure about this as I feel Thursday and Friday will be the warmest days.

UKV also pinging a 33C for Saturday and 32C widespread across the south-east and midlands on Saturday.

GEM wants to bring a 32C to Oak Park on Friday.

Who would have thought we might be back chasing heat records only 3 weeks after 33C for the first time in almost 180 years. The upper air temperatures are not even close to what we had 3 weeks ago, imagine if this current spell ended with a similar plume as July, surely with over a week of high temperatures the 33C would get smashed if we had an algerian heat plume repeat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This heat is making me feel ill. I'm just not made for it unfortunately. 😩

• Advertisement

We're all built for it, as long as your not at work. Buy a paddling pool and fill it with water and bring out the ice cooler with a few beers. You'll cool down in no time. Drink plenty of ice cool liquids, keep windows open during the day. Go to the beach and take a dip in the sea. Plenty of ways to cool down and enjoy this fantastic spell of summer weather.

Advertisement