Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ah I know, most people will only go EV once it has 300km 400km 500km 1000km range, even though almost nobody ever does that sort of driving in Ireland in a day and the average car does about 40km

The Leaf in my example has roughly 100km range. The Ioniq roughly 200km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I must live in some kind of bizarro-world bubble when I hear people going on about the range of modern electric cars. How is 300 kms not more than enough for 99% of peoples’ use cases?

Similarly, people going on about the crappy towing capacity and tow bars on EVs. I’m in my 40s and I’m pretty sure I’ve never known anyone who put a tow bar on their car. Unless you’re into caravanning, what are people towing around with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There's a touch of Comical Ali about you unkel 😁..... nothing to see here, no issues, plenty affordable cars.... what's all the fuss about! 🤣

The reality is that most people wouldn't consider buying an "old" Leaf for the look of it or the range of it. And as others said, the argument doesn't scale up yet.... a few affordable Leaf's doesnt serve the market. Its going to take alot longer to adequately serve the secondhand market

Also, the argument about "average daily mileage" is a strawman argument. By definition you dont drive the average everyday but you do want it to handle your weekend driving, which could be significantly more than your average so that 40km average figure is meaningless (even more so to people in rural Ireland... might be fine around Dublin!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

It's a shame you cannot charge an ev quickly while on a long trip...if you could it would really solve the range issue ...sure maybe somebody will come up with a solution.

@KCross - "The reality is that most people wouldn't consider buying an "old" Leaf for the look of it "

Well there is that alright. It's one ugly car. But if you're a beggar, you can't be a chooser. It just riles me that people keep saying EVs are only for rich people and they are poor and anyway it wouldn't suit their lifestyle as they need 1000km range like their diesel gives them. I've given plenty of examples over the years (and bought several myself) of affordable EVs that would save a lot of money. Thousands per year even for a cheap EV doing low miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

That was some expensive bus. I have a 2l smax that would cover the same distance on €1300 which, while is still a lot of money, reduces the savings somewhat. In any case I would have to spend north of €70k to replace it with an EV which is not something I would countenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

But how many cheap/old EVs can fast charge? That's part of the conundrum putting people off perhaps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Pretty much all of them, Leaf30 would de done and dusted with a fast charge in half an hour, Ioniq charges even faster. There's just a Zoe that can't fast charge but that means it "slow" charges at 22kW which is a major advantage from another perspective

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The Leaf 😁

In some ways the original Zoe had the best fast charging for its battery size since it could take 22kW AC

So while for most people the only option for a fast charge was a DC charger, the Zoe could do a fast top up at basically any ESB AC charger, which are probably 10x more abundant

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Old and cheap though guys, so thinking original Leaf and definitely prior to the introduction of the Ioniq, and the early Zoes must be holding the best residual values of them all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

To be fair, the original Leaf and Zoe were pretty expensive from new for what you got

You were basically buying a second car for approx €25k as I recall.

So it's a fairly narrow profile of people who had that much cash to burn and were willing to have a car with short range

They were a great saving in the long run if you held onto one for 7-8 years. And as many people say the majority of them are now perfect second cars for most households

I think there's only 2 places my wife hasn't been able to drive to in her Leaf24, and that's mostly down to her refusal to use a fast charger

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Eh? The Ioniq was our only car at the time, family of 5. The year before I did consider the Leaf. The range was a very limiting factor but the looks proved its fatal flaw and it was vetoed 😂 didn't buy it. Was a decent buy though for €19k.

Pretty much all of them except the Mercedes B250e (basically a Tesla underneath - rare as hen's teeth although there is one on DoneDeal at the moment) and the Renault Fluence Z.E. - I have one of those as our second car. It never needs to fast charge, so that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’m only getting 10.1l/100km out of our C Max, what year is the smax? What l/100km is it getting . Which is seen little use since we got the Ev.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

100km was far to little. Real world range of 250+ is what’s needed and why sales are so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Thats very uneconomical, only 28mpg old money! The smax is 2017 and I'm getting approx 6.6l/100km over last 10k km

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

300km real world (not WLTP) would be enough for most people. To get 300km reliable real world range you probably need 450-500km WLTP range. I suspect this is why the model 3 LFP is so popular as it has 490km WLTP.

Towing is a real use case when you live rurally. Everything from garden equipment to rocks and sand, to waste, and much more besides is towed.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Exactly, towing is an important thing to many, many people. Just because you are not exposed to it, doesn’t mean that it is not a very important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

"many, many"?

A bit hyperbolic I think. In terms of percentages of the driving population, you're talking a very small number.

Next time you're in a car park outside of Dublin and the GDA, look how many cars and vans have towbars. Of those, look how many are obviously dirty from use. I'd wager it's a large proportion.

I know a lot of folks that posted online they bought an outlander PHEV instead of a full EV due to towing requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tow bars are 100% locality driven, they may be low in use overall but where they are in use it will be extensive

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i think the point is a very small overall percentage of people need towbars and a very small overall percentage of people need a range of over 300km, but that doesnt stop people using these as reasons not to buy an ev,

there is also them versus us element down the country about it, i wont be told by some green party gombeen that i cant drive my diesel, ill drive diesel til the bitter end (thats verbatim from a post on facebook).

Before anyone has a go at me im from outside the pale myself 😁

Is the gap between WLTP official figures and the real world that large? I thought we were sold on the fact that WLTP was much more accurate than the outgoing NEDC assessment?

Been following the Swedish guy on Youtube who tests all the EVs - not a bad channel - and he's getting several vehicles that appear to be beating the WLTP figures in the real world, and he's not grannying around either.

Problem with the WLTP is that it only touches 120km/h briefly and I think only once. So yes if you do a bit of mixed driving without motorway, the WLTP can be quite accurate, you might get a bit more in summer and a bit less in winter

But throw any sustained driving at 120km/h in the mix and the real range of the car will be far less than the WLTP range. Bad / cold weather and poor aerodynamics of some cars make it even worse again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Re WLTP,

I was driving around Lithuania last week and was consuming 110Wh/KM which would give me a range of 450km. My car's official WLTP is 409km (A 200km drive used about 44% on one occasion).

In Lithuania the non-motorway routes (of which I mostly used) have a limit of 90km/h, so pretty much the ideal scenario to hit WLTP figures.. (20-22 degrees also is the sweet spot)

Then a few days later I was cruising on the Autobahn at 180km/h, and suffice to say this is not conducive to hitting WLTP, where my range was closer to the 200km mark....

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

WLTP in theory matches the general pattern of utilisation for cars on the road, but isn't really useful if one is looking for a long range vehicle. Long range is generally only an issue when travelling longer distances which are usually at motorway speed.

In the UK, there used to be 3 official fuel economy figures for each car (urban, 56mph,75mph) which if reintroduced for EVs would give a better idea of what range could be expected at motorway speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Who listens to the Greens, they were promoting diesel not that long ago.

Post edited by PaulJoseph22 on

My model X WLTP is 330km but it wont do 200km at 120km/h in winter.

Same for Ioniq28. WLTP is ~250km but it won't do 160km at 120km/h in winter.

WLTP is not accurate for motorway driving and also for winter driving. You can get the range if you keep below 100km/h, it's more achievable than NEDC but still not great. I usually would use WLTP*60% as the "real world" range.

WLTP of Ioniq 28kWh is 200km. It and the Tesla Model 3 MIC are two of the very few cars that would get close to their range at motorway speeds in ideal weather. Because they are the two most efficient drivetrain EVs ever made and both have excellent aerodynamics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

About 2/3 of Ireland live in urban environment. For the large majority of these folk, trailers and extensive range are not required.

Being an urbanite myself, apart from work I have literally never towed a trailer (and similarly my peer group). I also only ever need long range when explicitly traveling for holidays etc. Otherwise it's <50km on the average day.

Advertisement