Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,446 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The current system is designed to be abused by any spoofer that can climb on a plane. It will eventually reach an unsustainable limit and start crumbling and then you’ll find genuine refugees are being turned away while spoofers that got in first are being looked after. This is the end result of wanting to look good instead of dealing with a solution practically, you are doing more harm than good. Then the end result is a resentment to all refugees and not just the imposters and economic migrants.

Are you confused about the thread?

Are you giving out about asylum seekers or about Ukrainians who have been granted temporary protection of the EU? Because it is two separate issues - as much as the anti-Ukrainian-suddenly-concerned-for-students-crowd who pretend not to understand the difference.

A Ukrainian can be legally here and entitled to certain things by virtue of the fact that they are Ukrainians who lived in Ukraine. They don't need to "spoof" anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Barbosa92

Had a look at some of the Ukranian/Ireland Telegram/YouTube accounts.

What are the benefits like? Will I get my own house? I am already in a safe country, will it be ok for me to go Ireland still? Can I work and still get a house/benefits? (The advice given here is to not work more than 3 days a week). Also plenty of questions asking how to get around the 7 days absence from accommodation rule.

Plenty of people advertising big vans to drive you, your family and all your belongings to Ireland too for a fee ofc.

Funnily enough, I didn’t find one comment from anyone in desperate need of refuge in a safe country due to the war. It is all gimme gimme gimme. Thank you Ireland you bunch of mugs.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119451000#Comment_119451000 There was an error displaying this embed.

It was taken directly from a place hosted by Ukrainians giving advice to other Ukrainians on how to take full advantage of Irelands generosity.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119451000#Comment_119451000 There was an error displaying this embed.

Why do you say that? Facebook and Telegram are full of these type of posts by Ukrainians, unless you think they are all fake profiles? The other day there was one of a woman looking for the easiest way to send 10k back to Ukraine, a lot of the defenders make out that every one of them comes here with nothing but the cloth on their back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

I also joined a telegram you can see all the ads for cheap travel anywhere in Europe etc, an industry has already sprung up all round them.

Mary you wont bother yer arse joining and checking yerself will you?

Easier to sit on the sidelines and accuse yer fellow citizens of being bad uncaring people.

I dont have a problem with a reasonable level of support for a reasonable number of refugees. BUT don't take the mickey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

That seems to be the common answer. Most posters in favour of this don’t want to have them in their own home.

I’ve looked at 3 Facebook Ukrainian pages and saw very little of what you are claiming. Yes, some enquire about coming to Ireland, only to be advised of the dire accommodation situation. Other posts are refugees looking for work or places to stay, or buggy’s, etc. I’m not on Telegram.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

It's ok students can feck off and give them a space, that's their attitude.

• Advertisement

Yes, saw plenty of comments like that. We are here now. We shouldn’t have to move for the students and zero fcuks given about where the students will live.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119451124#Comment_119451124 There was an error displaying this embed.

Does 'very little' mean you seen some of these posts? You seem to be confident that there are zero p!sstakers coming over?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Oh we all saw it coming except some. Now it's here the narrative has changed. Sure student housing is always scarce. A change from students will not have to compete for space and their accommodation will be returned. Same with Hotels it's only temporary to where do you want them to go. Odd that everything that said will not happen has. Again I'm not ruling out CPO. I wager some smart cookies are buying up every vacant hotel in preparation for a fat payday and free refit.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119451124#Comment_119451124 There was an error displaying this embed.

You need to invest in a pair of spectacles. This stuff is not hard to find. These people are arriving in Ireland for one reason. Handouts and freebies. Ireland, the land of the 1,000 welfare cheques.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ManDearSir/status/1554478994396938240?cxt=HHwWgICw_Zmaz5IrAAAA

Nearly every single comment on all these accounts revolves around what they can get for themselves.

Last one I just read was a woman asking when her daughter finishes her final year of college in Ukraine next year, can she come to Ireland as a refugee then?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Mine was a joke, in response to a really stupid question that you imagine is clever, because you actually haven’t thought about it other than thinking it’s actually a really clever way to point out anyones hypocrisy in pointing out that our Government needs to do more for refugees fleeing from their homes in a time of war.

If you’d given it more than five seconds thought, you’d realise it’s a stupid question, not least because of the fact that refugees aren’t stray animals that anyone is responsible for feeding twice a day and fcuking out in the back garden to do their business while their hosts go out to work. People may not have room to take them in, people may live in isolated rural areas where there are no other Ukrainians around for miles.

In any case, most people simply aren’t qualified to deal with refugees fleeing from their homes, trying to establish themselves in a foreign country where they don’t speak the language, apart from their perfect English on social media, and of course in conversation with people who want nothing to do with them, but are apparently meeting Ukrainians all over the shop, reporting on how said Ukrainians are informing them about their clever schemes and scams to fcuk the Irish people over and how they’re never going home because they have it too good here, what with not being in encampments and all, but well on their way to getting their own free foreva home! It would be like asking you why you’re not running the country already when you’re clearly such an expert on how the country should be run.

Oh, and the free education, of course, once they manage to displace all the college students and Irish people from their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Hadn't looked at it in a week or two.

But still the same shite.

Every post is either how can we get here or money , money , money.

How many hours can I work before I loose benefits. No interest in full time work at all.

One just posted there, If I find an apartment, how can I get the government to pay for it.

All the replies then advising them exactly what to do.

Cute hoors the lot of them.

Don't know how anybody can think handing out all this free **** is a good idea. Once they get it they will come to expect it for everything in the future.

Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

To a point I agree with you however I believe every descision made by the government should be "For the greater good". I don't agree that we are now as a nation making decisions that are for the greater good including the refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So how do people think this will end ?

say hypothetically on June 23rd next, somebody puts a bullet in Putin, a legitimate election follows, regime change and the Ukraine war / invasion is brought to and end, Russia pull out.

the 140,000 ( realistic guesstimate ) Ukrainians that by then will have arrived, will want to return home ? ! I’d say more than 70% will want to stay. Will try to stay,

Even if around 40,000-50,000 want to return immediately, how do they go about getting home ?

are the Irish taxpayers likely to be burdened further… pay for the chartering of aircraft to repatriate these people ? That’s a six figure cost per flight, when fuel, maintenance, landing fees, crew, maintenance, navigation charges and a profit for the airline is factored in !

how does one deal with people who are adverse to leaving of their own free will ? They will likely go to ground, resist belligerently… will or would we potentially see Gardai having to force evict and deport….

my own guess is none of the above, my own guess is an amnesty and passports and citizenship granted….my own guess is many who have returned to the Ukraine would argue that they’d be entitled to the same though, so what then…?

it’s a right fûcking mess we’ve gotten involved with….

seems whereby the EU, our government of the day were positive to put their hands up from the get go… nobody really factored in the end game, the impact to Ireland and its citizens. The ‘out’ …

our constitution determines that…… ‘The constitution asserts the "inalienable, indefeasible, and sovereign right" of the Irish people to self-determination’

….we don’t have self determination, we are even dissuaded from utterances and opinions that challenge the narrative as above …..or anything pro wellbeing of Ireland and Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agree entirely - it's absolutely the right thing to offer shelter & food to genuine war refugees. But our system is allowing us to be ruthlessly exploited.

Needs to be an immediate appraisal of each application with instant repatriation for those without real genuine need.

• Advertisement

Jealousy? No one is jealous we are concerned and rightfully so about the impact of an uncapped number of refugees who aren't even EU members coming here to already chaotic system in regards to housing, health etc and the future of our children = legitimate concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Which is why the government needs to take control of this situation now. Far cheaper to charter flights to Lviv airport and deport those chancing their arms now, before this develops further.

No I have no fear of stirring a response because that's what this situation calls for.

No traditional most students could secure accommodation at a reasonable price. Not all but most. Now are losing out. Not cool.

Both as irish peoples nature is generally to suffer in silence.

They also want to be in with the jobs in Brussels!

What’s boiling a lot of peoples piss is the uncertainty.

ok nobody can predict timeframes or what further dangerous low Putin might fall to, But to leave citizens of this country in limbo where we’re have had Martin and Varadkar just stoop to smiling and shrugging shoulders at the people whist enabling decisions that they know will impede our wellbeing.

I believe this war will continue for years, both sides are not willing to engage in peace talks and both are stubborn. Yes Russia are 100 percent to blame for the conflict but peace can only be obtained by both parties.

Ireland doesn't exactly have a good track record of deporting people though does it, I can't picture the government getting a hold of this situation in a hurry. There's too much money to be made for too many people, the local hotel is taking in 200 in the next week, it was closed for the last few years and left to rot until the owners heard about the money they could make, it's been all refurbed and ready.. They are recruiting for full time chefs, to cook three meals a day presumably for these people.

The students accommodation situation has shook me though of course it was going to happen, my daughter is a year away from college fingers crossed her exams go well and since she was a toddler she has wanted to be a nurse and like any parent I've been building towards her future but I'm starting to worry about it. She has started driving lessons and fingers crossed she can commute and to be fair despite the distance at least we have that option!

Yes, I think as long as Putin is in power, this war will rumble on.

as to what the endgame is, fûck knows….is he trying to provoke WW3 ? Possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

You might want to tell the Red Cross and the government that as they are asking people to do just that rather than lecturing us while you don’t do anything yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t even expect you’ll even do as much as wanting to take your own advice tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement