Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Happy Monday everyone!

Here's my weekly update

Monday - 5km @ 5.44 Per KM

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday - 8km @ 5.58 per km

Thursday - 5km @ 6.18 per KM

Friday - rest

Saturday - 12km @6.15 per km

Sunday - 5km :6.20 per km

Taking on @Laineyfrecks advice and really slowing down on my runs, my LSR i felt like i was actually going slower and the pace was really easy. I used my Sunday run as a recovery run just to get out and plan to rest today.

I think i'm going to start incorporating some PMP runs/Tempo runs into the HH plan, there's nothing on it at the minute and i feel like i could benefit from some speed work/hill sprints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

In Regards to your first question, I don't see any issue with that at all, if anything it might prove to be more beneficial as the miles tick over with less effort used and company is always good IMO.

Leaving HR aside for the minute, when you are basing the PMP off your half pace, how are you actually feeling when in the thick if it? A hill will always affect your HR and its also been warm out. If continuing the PMP after the hill, I would consider it normal that the HR may not come back down. I'd be all for incorporating hills in training but might be worth trying a flat section for this week's PMP effort to see how you get on. Are you working between a range? no harm in slowing down on climbing sections leaning towards the slower side of that range.

nice work - in terms of the splits been up and down, i wouldnt worry too much about that if there is a lumpy terrain on the route. If you feel the effort is the same throughout that period, that will benefit you in the long run(excuse the pun)

Around this stage cumulative/training fatigue may kick in now and again. You have been upping your mileage week on week for 6 weeks now. You might find the exact opposite this week or next when you are bouncing about. - the nature of marathon training. Its only natural for your body to feel tired. Your target is 4 hrs right? no harm at all slowing the PMP a bit when the body is calling for it. Recover, Rest and rehydrate are your friends now.

Solid week. Nothing nicer that finishing a LSR and feeling you could have ran longer especially after a TT earlier in week. Rare feeling for me 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Thanks Lambay, it is nice having the company for the runs when it works out so if it's no issue we'll keep it up when the opportunity arises.

In terms of the PMP, it has really depended on the run itself, I've done a couple in really hot weather away and the other on a lumpy route, perhaps as you say it would be best to try this weeks one on a flatter course and try and get the feel for it there, but it's going to be hot again this week!! Yes I'm giving myself a range to work off, somewhere between 4:45 and 5 m/k with 4:45 being quite ambitious and just under 5 being a realistic target for a first marathon.

yes indeed, forecast looks warm for the next week. I refuse to complain though as it wont be long before we are getting battered by cold and sideways rain 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Update for the week:

Monday - 10k @ 6per k/m

Tuesday - 7.5k total, quick warm up followed by 15 set of 60secs on/off, Efforts at 4min per k/m

Wednesday - had a GAA match, only played half and took it fairly handy. Not ideal from marathon perspective but committed to the season with the team before I got a late marathon entry so need to stick it out

Thursday - 8km total, 2k warm up followed by 6km tempo, probably went too fast for a tempo to be honest but felt good at the time

Saturday - 25km LSR. This one was tough going. Once I got to about 16km I felt quite leggy and was a bit of a grind to push through. Disappointing as the prior weeks LSR felt good but I know I made mistakes a few schoolboy errors this time and didn't prep properly. Little/no water during the run, no gels etc..

Sunday - 7.5k recovery run at 6:20ish. Handy stroll around the place.

Overall happy enough with the week, will learn my lessons from the LSR prep (or lack thereof) and better to find that out now than further down the line. Any recommendations on gels/electrolyte tabs etc.. please feel free to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheRef

Had to change a few things this week due to referee commitments...

Mon 7.95km @ 6:03 min/km

Tue 11.26km @ 5.44 min/km (PMP with warmup/down)

Wed 7 km @ 6.32 min/km

Thurs: refereed kids match (easy 5k covered)

Fri: 26 km @ 6.29km LSR

Sat 3.3km @ 6.49km, followed by refereeing two matches Sat afternoon (covered 13k as were shorter duration)

Sun: refereed match Sun morning (covered 9k)

LSR was very tough. I got a nosebleed after about 5km and while it wasn't too bad, it just kept recurring until about 20km. Joints really hurt (I'm no spring chicken) and struggled for energy between 10k-15km but got second wind and managed through. I take 500ml water and 500ml Lucozade Sport but no gels/chews.

Really hard end to week. I know I am overdoing it as struggling to sleep properly. Ankles do be quite sore after refereeing (boots & hard ground), but

Mentors, I know the refereeing is not ideal while following the marathon plan, but really enjoy it and am trying to make both work.

Mentors: Question about 10 miler Phoenix Park coming up - I am unable to do it unfortunately, so should we try do a 10 miler ourselves giving it socks, or a LSR in its place? The plan looks like some tapering this week towards the race...

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭l3m0n5

Update for the week

Tue 5,6 km 36:04 6:27/km

Thu 12,3 km 1:12:12 5:53/km -- PMP splits - 5:53/6:08/6:00/5:46/5:44/5:33/5:21/5:09 -- Last 2 k got a bit carried away but was nice to stretch the legs out.

Sat 26,1 km 2:49:00 6:28/km -- This went better than last weeks LSR, brought extra water with me on this and it probably helped.

Sun 5,5 km 35:01 6:21/km

A I did last weeks LSR on Monday I ended with 74km for the week well above what I've peaked at before. Legs are feeling tired so a normal week will do them good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Week 6 update

Mon: Gym session

Tue 11:00km at 5:34 min/km PMP

Wed 5 km @ 5:53 min/km

Thurs: 8 km @ 6:00 min/km

Fri: 5 km @ 6:05 min/km

Sun: 26km @ 6:03 min/km LSR

Felt pretty comfortable with the LSR the whole way. Was getting a little sore in a few areas towards the end but I guess that's to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Sorbet

Hope no one minds a graduate of Mr G’s 2019 thread popping in to ask a couple of questions. I’m doing DCM ‘22 and following along with the HHN1 plan. I chose the plan over Boards plan (which I followed in ‘19) based on the fact that I really had no base to speak of coming into this training block as was a bit of a lapsed runner. I’m effectively a novice (in fact looking at the novices’ experience this year very much a novice!) but enjoying the HHN1 plan so far. I am aware that coming in without a base isn’t a great idea but managing the increased mileage without too many niggles just yet and goal is really just to complete the marathon again regardless of pace.

my questions

pacing: HHN has significantly less mileage - should there be a direct correlation therefore in my expectations for pacing? Not an issue - I’m a very slow runner and for me it’s about the training and enjoying the big day. Ran 2019 in 4:47 when I went with the 4:40 pacers until I lost them on Roebuck road :-( . Last race was Fingal 10k in 1 hour even. So wondering if sub 5 should be my target?

Fueling: I’ve completely forgotten at what distance on my LSRs I should start to practice taking gels - and how frequently.

Any advice appreciated and again hope you allow some near novice questions! The thread continues to be such a support - thanks for keeping it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Meanman

So I have done three marathons with a PB in DCM 2018 of 3hr.56. Did Half Marathon in April 2022 with time of 1hr.56. I am following the HH (ADVANCE 2) plan which suggests 7 mile pace or 8 mile pace on the day before the LSR. But I am unsure what time to run this "pace".

Thanks again for so much info an pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

WEEK 7 ☺️

I've seen a notable move towards a truly easy pace for a few more of you this week - great to see, but still please be mindful of it, it's for YOUR benefit not ours. We'll be banging that drum for another few weeks yet (SORRY!)

A lot of you have already reported how you got on(well done on all the LSR) but for anyone else let us know how you got on in Week 6, Are you satisfied with how your training is progressing?

Week 7 looks like this:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|3m easy|6m easy|3m easy|rest|12m lsr|cross

Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|1m w/u + 5m pace + 1m c/d|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|14m lsr|3m rec

So a (welcome?) bit of a step-back week on the boards plan this week, while the HH crew will see an increase in overall weekly mileage and LSR distance over the next couple of weeks.

There have been a few questions on taking gels in your LSR here's some information I found!

A marathon runner's staple, energy gels replenish your depleted carbohydrate stores when running. When you run your body uses two sources of fuel to feed your muscles, fat and carbohydrates. While fat is widely available it’s slower to break down into usable energy making it ineffective when running a marathon.

Instead, your body relies on carbohydrates as its primary fuel source. As a general rule the faster you run, the more your fuel will come from carbohydrates. But your body can only store a limited amount of carbohydrates in our muscles, known as glycogen; at half marathon pace this is about 90 minutes of running and at marathon pace about 120 minutes of running. This means the average runner will be running low on glycogen stores about halfway through their marathon. Energy gels contain about 25g of carbohydrates per gel, in the form of simple sugars, an accessible energy source for your body to process. One gel provides about 45 minutes of running.

The perfect time to take an energy gels depends on you and your body. Every runner absorbs and processes carbohydrates at a different rate; some can feel the effect within 3 minutes while for others it might take up to 15 minutes. As your body diverts blood away from your stomach towards your active muscles, your absorption rate slows, or sometimes your stomach shuts down completely; this is most common cause for unwanted toilets stops during a run.

The most important rule is to have the gel before you need it, not as you feel yourself crashing or hitting the wall. Practise with energy gels throughout your training to ensure you know when and which energy gels to take. As your digestion process slows during your run, it’s important not to overload your stomach. Wait around 45-60 minutes between gels, or around 6-7 miles to ensure you don’t intake too much simple sugar at once. Consider alternating between caffeine and non-caffeine energy gels too to ensure you don’t take on too much caffeine. While energy gels are hugely beneficial for marathon runners, there’s no doubt about it, they’re not to everyone’s taste. Although usually water-based they vary in consistency from viscous and thick to thinner but with a stronger taste. With so many on the market flavours vary from vanilla, chocolate, and coffee, to lighter fruity flavours like orange and berry. Test a few different brands and styles to find the right consistency and flavour for you.

Also remember to carry water with you especially when getting used to taking the gels, it will be easier on your stomach.

Best of luck this week everyone!

Well done on completing another week & for taking onboard my advice, I would still try working on slowing them paces down a bit more😉

I wouldn't advise incorporating PMP/Tempo runs. My advice would be to stick to the plan you have committed to, remember that training should be done to present fitness and endurance levels. Training to a more advanced plan/adding in faster runs before you are ready for it will not make you stronger or faster. It will fatigue and/or injure you.

I know that we talk about easy paces a lot, and that it probably gets boring. But, it's for good reason. Lots and lots of appropriately easy miles are the key to building your endurance. You don't need to get faster - you need to improve your endurance. If you train too fast you will not build this endurance and will encounter problems later in the marathon. 

Best of luck this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

OK - another non-novice then! Three marathons done, so you should know a bit about the distance by now. That’s a tough plan you’ve chosen, how are you finding it?

A recent HM of 1:56 suggests maybe 4:05-4:10 or so for your marathon target, so I’d be running those pace runs at 9:20-9:30.

Good luck!

Post edited by Murph_D on

Sorry can you remind me again what plan you are following?

The cumulative fatigue will be building up now at this stage of the plan & the lack of prep with fuelling wouldn't have helped with your LSR, I'd keep an eye on the your GAA too it could be adding to the leggy feeling build up.

I used the HI -5 gels & electrolytes for DCM19 without any problems but then I found the gels sickening during Manchester(and stupidly I didn't take my own advice & practice taking them) so I learnt the hard way during the marathon! I am now practising my own fuelling again & I am going to try a few different brands myself to see what works best. I did get fruit jelly bars in Decathalon & took that instead of a gel at mile 10 of my run this week & actually preferred it to the gel, so it really is all about finding what's best for you!

Hi Sorbet, no problem at all!

Can I ask what paces you are running at the moment & was the Fingal 10k this year? Do you have a target in mind & any more races coming up?

I have given some advice on taking gels in the weekly update😊

Sorry can you remind me which plan you are following?

Fair play seeing out the LSR with a nosebleed early on. Sleep is very important for your recovery (as I'm sure you know) so getting quality sleep is important but I do know it's not always possible with other factors in life affecting it.

I do agree that it's not ideal refereeing whilst training for the marathon as it does seem to be affecting you but only you can make the call on that!

We will be replacing the 10mile race with a LSR for those not racing!

Best of luck with this weeks training😊

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Sorbet

Thanks. Running everything easy in the 6:30 to 6:55 min per km range. Yes Fingal 10k was this year. Running all the race series so 10 mile and 1/2 on the way. Tallaght 5 mile was 47 mins. In terms of target I’d love to stay with the 4:40 pacers this time as I lost them last time but my race series paces this time are slower than 2019 so wondering if sub 5hr is a better target. Not too worried either way as I don’t think I’ll be winning it 😀

Thanks also for the gel info. Will start to practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Meanman

Thanks Murph_D for info. Yes, it feels like a tough plan. I was looking at the Boards one tonight and it seems less demanding. I might as well stick with this one now and see it out. I'll keep learning from this thread. tks

Your race times suggest roughly a 4:37 marathon time which would be about 6:35KM PMP so I would be running the easy runs between 7:03 - 7:13km. You can look at this again after your 10mile race. Haha I don't think I'll be winning it myself😉

No probs, best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

So last week was a little disjointed from the plan for one or two reasons.

monday - rest day

Tuesday as per plan 8.2km easy 6:15 pace

wedensday INCYD testing with Emmett Dunleavy, got some good insights and accurate training zones. All in all ran during the test 4 miles at average of 4:53 but that’s in sections and average pace has no bearing to the training effort as it’s about testing different paces. Good news is it points to all good things for a 3:40 in terms of carb stores and burn rates as well as lactate buildup.

it’s given me some target paces and I will do a calibration run to ensure it matches up with heart rate percentages.

Thursday I was at a Brooks event in the Run Hub so it was a 4.5km run at 5:50 with a group testing their latest shoes

Friday rest day

Saturday - 26km with 700m of climbing. The climbing meant average pace was 7:14/km beautiful day in the hills going through Masseys wood, cruagh, tibbraden, fairy castle, three rock and back through Marley Park.

Late night Saturday with friends over for a bbq too meant Sunday and today were much needed rest days, also very needed (life needs a little balance sometimes)

Post edited by 68 lost souls on

Nice route that on Saturday. Views must have been great up at Fairy Castle that day!

Interesting insight on the INCYD testing. Was that done at a track?

How are you feeling about those results in terms of predicted finishing time? I remember you mentioning the wheels came off in latter stages of your previous marathon. How are you fixed at this stage of training compared to back then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Views were fantastic and the growth around the mountains in bloom was lovely

Yes the The testing was done on a track. Efforts were 2-3 laps at a set pace and then testing lactate buildup and recovery. Going through different paces to see what the response was and how long it took me to come down.

feeling confident in terms of my time, two big issues I feel I had before was not enough miles in the legs in training and nutrition was off.

having worked out my consumption and available carb stores going off 60g of carbs per hour at 3:40 pace I should be good for nutrition so long runs and some race efforts need to include trying to consume that much. (Did it on Saturday as 20g every 20 minutes from a mix of sources, trialling SIS beta fuel next which would be one bar/chew every 40 minutes.)

it shows there a deficit of 100g or so if I tried for 3:30 so that’s not happening and going off my racing so far trying 4:00 might be too soft. I will know better after the the next two race series events.

I got a great talk through of all the results after and what they really mean. Have an up to date training pace for different efforts off scientific basis. And it correlates well with a vo2max test I did on the treadmill with a mask 5 years ago which helps to validate it. slight improvement on VO2 max. There’s a lot more data I want to learn more about from it too once I have the time.

Back then I had a focus on half Ironman specific training until the end of July which had a lot less run miles and more bike/swim so now I am getting more miles and focusing on recovery better than before.

That's all very interesting. I'd warn you against overcomplicating things here though. You choose your marathon target off current fitness, not your ability to absorb carbs/gels etc. Train to a specific target and let the gel consumption take care of itself. You practice on the long runs but on the day itself you will either be able to stomach the required amount or you won't - I often cannot take enough, personally, but it won't affect your time by more than a minute or two, trust me!

The LT testing is a very useful tool to have. I'd go with whatever targets and training paces Emmet prescribed for you - they are as accurate as you can get, assuming you were well rested and in good condition on the day of the test. I'm sure E also pointed out that the predicted targets can be 'somewhat notional' (which is what he said to me, AFAIK.)

NOTE:For other novices who have no idea what LT is or what this testing is all about, good news - you can have a successful marathon without knowing anything about it! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheRef

On the issue of nutrition....

I only take liquids on my runs greater than 10 miles and the recent LSRs have me bringing 500ml water and 500ml Lucozade Sport.

I am not planning on changing that, except maybe more water for longer runs, and not planning on using any gels or consuming any calories during training or during the marathon. I do actually carry a gel with me that I got free recently but never felt like I needed it.

Am I wrong?

I'd really prefer to avoid taking anything just because... but am conscious that the only other time I ran a marathon - in 2008, I really struggled for the last 8 miles and had to walk on numerous occasions just to get to the finish line. I do think though my training last time was not as structured and I spent too much running as quick I could.

There are one or two runners I know who can survive without gels, but that doesn't mean they don't replace carbs in another way.

The short answer is yes, you are wrong to be considering a marathon with little or no carb intake. You can't train that kind of hardship into yourself between now and October.

See Laineyfrecks' post above re gels - it's all you really need to know for now. As she says, even if you carb load very effectively, the body can only store enough glycogen for about two hours of marathon-paced running. You need to have a strategy for topping up throughout the race so that you are only barely dipping into fat stores towards the end. Trust us, we've been there, and trust yourself, you've been there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

It was definitely a warm one yesterday but got it done. Course was a bit flatter than the previous week so I was able to pace it a bit better. I kept my watch on time and HR only again. Not to get into a HR discussion but this is just a way for me to control the pace without chasing a time or being disappointed with a pace for the effort. So I kept it in aerobic z3 and went for 45 mins. The effort was steady as such and came in a smidge over 5m/k.

Just wondering whether it's the right approach at this stage to keep a focus on effort and not on the time for the pmp session? I am wondering whether I am going too easy? In terms of that pmp session it felt fine on that run and the legs actually felt better after it than they had been before hand, the pace was steady and breathing controlled.

• Advertisement

My opinion would be don't over complicate it! Follow the paces you have worked out for your runs, especially for your 1st marathon. HR running is something that takes time & accuracy to get right, hr is only meaningful if you know true max. It has so many variables given the weather, terrain, how you slept etc. I do believe in efforts to a certain extent but I do think running to paces helps. However it IS perfectly reasonable to reduce paces a bit in the current hot conditions.

Advertisement