Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

do you get why motorists don't think they need to obey the rules of the road? maybe it's a problem with all road users?

it's amazing how many people have stories of being hit by bikes running red lights on the internet, i've never met anyone who's been hit by a bicycle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You do know that billions upon billions have been committed to DART+, Metrolink and Bus Connects. A lot more money than is spent on cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭growleaves

Is it amazing? That's the first story on boards I've seen of someone being hit by a bicycle. I've never been hit by a bicycle.

However the green man on pedestrian crossings is rendered obsolete by city centre cyclists. They will blast through red lights even when there are pedestrians stepping onto the road. You can't obfuscate that with statistics about what car drivers do or do not do.

And there is the legislation already in place to fine those cyclists on the spot and to issue a court summons if they can’t or won’t pay. Same as there is legislation for speeding (which every motorist does around my residential area) and motorists running reds.

Nothing needs to be changed and if rabid blasting cyclists were actually a problem there’d regularly be Gardai at pedestrian crossings issuing fines

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

I thought you were starting a new thread?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I hate to see what it will be like in September with the schools back.

Maybe it can be the start of some introspection as to why on earth so many kids are driven to school...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It's easy to generalise like that against some cyclists. Some motorists are also doing this on a just a regular basis, if not more. The risk to pedestrians is considerably more when a motorist does it. For balance, pedestrians are also routinely walking out onto roads in urban areas without looking or thinking.

Meanwhile, where is the enforcement? Its almost totally absent and left to road users to do the right thing. Therefore, all categories or road user do things they should not with little fear of being caught.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've never got hit by a car but I got runover by a cyclist who ignored a red light. I just don't get why cyclists don't think they need to obey the rules of the road.

What has that got to do with traffic in Fairview?

There is certainly an issue with road policing whereby pretty much everything is ignored by AGS. However, there is ample evidence showing that drivers cause far more injuries by breaking the laws than anyone else on the road. Nonetheless, this has absolutely nothing to do with traffic in Fairview being temporarily diverted via Ballybough to faccilitate the replacement of some water pipes and other works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You see it all the time on Twitter, people going on about their granny's being hit by bicycles etc. It's all fabricated, I caught one guy a while back saying it was his sister and a quick look at his profile had him saying it was his grandmother a few days before.

I just find it mad that people like you get so annoyed by cyclists but I don't see you demanding motorists are held more accountable when they're the ones killing and maiming daily in Ireland. Look at the Garda Traffic Twitter account, drug and drink driving and all kinds of madness happens all the time yet no one seems to care. Those darn cyclists though being a net benefit to society, grrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭cgcsb

In fairness motorists have killed 136 people in 2021 and cyclists have killed 0 people. The statistics around injuries are even more more skewed towards motorists so personal experience is one thing but is statistically not valid. I've been hit by a deliveroo cyclist when when on my bike. He came out of it worse though and I was told there was no point pursuing him for the cost of replacing my damaged wheel. Still though it's a small problem compared to our road deaths. And this has little to do with the actual thread anyway

No he means me. I'm veering off-topic and already promised not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Presumably they will work on tweaking the traffic light sequences - we are only on day 2, and generally there will always need to be some changes made such as light sequences with a project like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I really can't say I see rlj cyclists "blast through" pedestrian lights. I see them proceed through them, but normally cautiously enough not to be a danger to pedestrians, at least on my route in and out of the city.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Are we a society of medieval peasants? Surely we can afford something more than walkways.

how much are travelators per km? i vote we should have a travelator from the city centre to fairview.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't care if they are going fast or slow, they (and cars) are not supposed to go through a red light.

Richmond Road has needed to be made one-way for years. In essence it is only as wide as that tiny bottleneck between Grace Park Avenue and Grace Park Road. I used to make a detour down/up Clonliffe while cycling as it was too risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Not safe, Joe. They could get knocked down by a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

Light sequence inbound at the five lamps could do with being adjusted. Took three or four cycles to get through on the bus this morning. Cyclists slowed down the bus prior to that point. As someone else said its only day two but I might look to travel in a bit earlier or maybe avoid it all together by swapping the 14 for the N4

• Advertisement

Well cyclists might have slowed down the bus, but they didn't stop it getting through the lights - that would have been the cars/taxis/buses in front that the bus would have caught up with if it hadn't been 'slowed down'.

I cycle this route every day and I was slowed down by two buses yesterday. But only for a couple of hundred metres.

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Irish Times article remarkably in favour of the upgrade.

The Irish Times view on diverting motorists to build cycle lanes

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorials/2022/08/09/the-irish-times-view-on-diverting-motorists-to-build-cycle-lanes/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Drove northbound from 5 lamps to edges, just after 6pm today.

Counted 22 vehicles heading southbound that shouldn’t have been in that lane. And it’s only going to get worse.

I’d say they’ll have a Garda stationed there soon enough. As they should in key bus lanes across the city, especially at left filters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I drove outbound this evening on a diversion from where I was going to see what it was like.

Passed 4 cars sailing in oblivious to everything. These should have their licences removed for a period of time and made to sit a theory test again! They clearly can not read the signs all over the place and made illegal turns to get there.

I get a softly softly approach in the beginning, but they need to enforce it in time before the busy September period commences.

AGS had no problem having checkpoints the length and breadth of the country stopping people from driving to a park or beach for a walk in Covid. All we’re asking for is one roads policing car literally shooting fish in the barrel.

All we’re asking for is one roads policing car literally shooting fish in the barrel.

Surely you mean 'figuratively'? Most of our police are not armed.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Went through Fairview on a bus yesterday morning at 8:10 or so. Bus wasn't impacted as there are still two inbound lanes in Fairview (which was my original concern from last Sunday). Looking at Fairview Strand as we passed by Edge's Corner it was just about full so there was the possibility of minor traffic congestion in Fairview assuming traffic levels would increase from around 8:10-8:40 (prime rush hour).

I do think there will be congestion for private cars in Fairview when schools return and we move into Autumn. The only worry I would have now is that if it gets too bad it will affect the Malahide/Howth Road junctions as that potentially would impact on public transport.

I pass by the Ballybough Road/NCR junction after I get off the bus and I didn't see too much congestion there or at the right turn for Amiens Street at Portland Row. Again it's hard to judge anything fully at this time of year because it is when traffic is at its lowest. Fingers cross it won't deteriorate too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I think you're missing the point which is that they shouldn't be doing it at all, irrespective of how cautiously they proceed, if they are red.

Look, the reality is that there are those in both communities (car drivers/cyclists) who don't obey the rules of the road. I see both drivers and cyclists do crazy things at times which annoys me. As has been pointed out the lack on enforcement of laws and rules in Ireland is what contributes to this because it encourages people to take a chance and get away with it. The level of damage that they can do is ultimately irrelevant to this discussion. The rules of the road should be obeyed by everybody and if we had proper enforcement it would lead to better road behaviour in the longer term.

Climbing back into our bunkers with the "our lot are all perfect but you lot are all terrible" is generally the way these arguments go and it doesn't help. Our roads are shared areas and it's incumbent on everybody to exercise due care when using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Bear in mind, there's no mention of the water mains upgrade works in that article at all, they're painting the project as something *solely* to upgrade cycle lanes, with bus services mentioned briefly at the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This is the thing.

The replacement of the water mains benefits everyone, separating the bus and cycle lanes will benefit thousands of bus commuters from improved journey times, and of course cyclists are winners from a safer route into/out of the city.

One does not need a degree in a communications to see how that should be the way to promote the project.

Advertisement