Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence Query (yet another one..)

Options
  • 09-08-2022 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Wonder if anyone would know or could clear this out. I'm not Irish,but permanent resident in Ireland for many many years.. I hold firearms license abroad (in another EU state) for revolvers, pistols and rifles. In other words im licensed to hold (and carry on me) firearms of any caliber etc. as long as they go under B (semi automatic), due to some of my activity i can also apply (there) for A license (which is military equipment, fully automatic rifles etc.)

However, it seems (from what i was reading and investigating) i might have an issue getting a simple semi auto pistol of 22LR even though using/licensed to use 9mm etc. already. And the reference requirement, im not really a people man, and would probably get reference only from missus/brother would that be an issue? Not sure what they are looking for..

Sorry for long start, so the question is would i be able to get semi-auto pistol in Ireland to train on ranges to keep my skills up to level and would my previous license/competency test be of any advantage? Especially as referrals would be "my own peeps"

Thanks a mill ! Irish gun laws and forms are hard to understand

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

They cribbed to me that I had someone down as a reference who was family and got me to find someone else. But for years I was a reference for someone in my family so I don't know how consistent they are with that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

So long as you fulfill the criteria here(clean criminal record, good reason for the firearm, etc) you should have no particular problem licencing a firearm here.

For a handgun the only caliber licencable is .22lr, and even then only for target shooting at a range, so you will need to get a membership to a range.

For the reference I would contact your local firearms officer(call the district/division if you don't know who the local FO is, they will pass on the number) and the FO will be able to answer any questions on what they require as references.

Personally I always had references who were not related to me(colleagues, friends, etc), but the most recent renewals I was asked by the FO to get a family member to be a reference, which was odd, but fine.

Legally the only requirement for a reference is that they not be a serving Garda, but as you can see from this reply and the previous one the requirements vary by licencing district.

For competency your current firearms licencing in another country would prove that you are competent to handle firearms, so that should cover that base nicely.

Any other questions just fire them up, our gun laws are inane and at times utterly nonsensical :-P

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

A .22lr pistol for target shooting is as easy to licence as any other gun.

As otmmyboy2 has said, as long as you have a clean record and can show a need for the pistol (target shooting would be your need), then you should be ok.

You must be a member of a target shooting club/range before you apply for the pistol licence and the pistol can only be used on an authorised range. Assuming you will want to keep the pistol in your home, you will need a gun safe that complies with BS7558 and you will need this installed in your home before you apply for the licence.

Regarding the references, I have my wife and a friend down as my references. Never an issue. If the Gardai aren't happy with family members being your references, surely you know two other people who are not related to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bycikas

Thanks everyone. I was reading a lot and just got confused and got into belief that pistol licenses are not really issued in Ireland and the way law is put together makes my head spin.. like the requirement to have license for paintball like what a....

Thanks a mill , will try my luck now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭garrettod

I don't see anything wrong with puting family members down as referees, and would counter any arguements by pointing out that:

• family know me best, so are best placed to judge my character.

• I'm reluctant to talk to people outside of my immediate family, about owning a firearm, given underlying security concerns, when more people know that you own a firearm etc.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Mississippi.

I provide references for an uncle and an extended cousin of mine and a separate cousin then is one of my references so I don't think the family member giving a reference for you should be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You can licence a .22lr pistol for target shooting.

You cannot licence a centrefire pistol/revolver.

No new licences can be issued for any centrefire calibre such as a 9mm unless you held a licence here in Ireland for that firearm before November 2008.

Advertisement