Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I don't know but can't imagine new PP is needed. It's still meeting its original goal of providing accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't know either! I was just thinking that certain developments were given planning permission for student accommodation only (I think....), and since they are now changing that to general rental it might change the basis of the planning permission that was granted.

I just wondered, and you could be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

Best of luck with your daughter. I hope you will find secure accommodation. I am so angry with this government. Yes previous generations have had struggle bur yeez when your starting college? Crazy country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Repeating bullshit doesn't make it true.

First, many millions are internally displaced and are being accommodated in western Ukraine.

But secondly, there have been many missile attacks on civilian targets, including those in "safe" "non-combat" areas. If your country was being illegally invaded, would you be happy moving your family from Dublin to Limerick, because Limerick is probably going to be safe?

How short people's memories are. It's literally only a couple of months since the 64km-long RuAF convoy was approaching Kyiv. They got as close as 30km from the centre of Kyiv and only aren't there now because of the fierce resistance they encountered combined with luck with the weather bogging down their main convoy.

• Odesa is on the Black Sea but nowhere near Donbas - repeatedly attacked with cruise missiles.
    • Vinnytsia is in central Ukraine - attacked with rockets last month.
    • Kremenchuk is also in central Ukraine, nowhere near a combat zone. A shopping mall attacked with missiles, during the day.

There are many more examples.

Finland and Sweden are now clamoring to join NATO. Why? Because they don't trust Russia to confine their expansion to the Donbas region (after they'd already annexed Crimea!). I think ordinary Ukrainian citizens, then, are perfectly justified in not hanging around in what boardsies deem to be "safe" areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭votecounts

Just curious, with all the Govt Parties supporting the influx of people from Ukraine, how many of them have actually have housed them in their properties, I think Leo might have somesone at the moment. Assuming most of them have than 1 property and also spare rooms in their principle residence, surely they can step up unlike McEntee who backed out in a hurry

• Advertisement

Good jaysus.

Figures and "estimates" pulled out of your arse.

"All those refugees over here. It's terrible." and in the same post lamenting the cost of repatriation flights. Six figure sums per flight?! Get up the yard. It's amazing Ryanair can fill a flight with tickets at €20 a pop, so, and still make a profit. But you've done the maths... 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Haha

so you think every Ryanair seat is 20 a pop ? Prices go up as seats sell…ffs yours is a nonsense post.

Jet A1 is approximately 1100 per metric tonne in Dublin at present, plus delivery… An Airbus A330 will burn around 6.5 - 7 tonnes an hour. Depending on payload, both human and luggage payload. And remember the plane comes back, we don’t give it as a little present.

a round trip to the Ukraine, around 10 hours, plus whatever the APU burns on the ground. So you can take it as realistic what I said, your Ryanair comparison, no, inaccurate waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

In all fairness though Strumms, you factored in maintenance twice, which is bound to jack up the cost a fair bit 😁

are the Irish taxpayers likely to be burdened further… pay for the chartering of aircraft to repatriate these people ? That’s a six figure cost per flight, when fuel, maintenance, landing fees, crew, maintenance, navigation charges and a profit for the airline is factored in !

Nope, maintenance in Dublin and they will need maintenance to check the aircraft and sign it out too from the Ukraine…two flights hence factored in twice 🫥

Flights right now on Skyscanner, Dublin to Lublin in Poland, for €43. For flights in early September. It's a 3-hour flight. Not 5, not even 4. Add on another 25%, being generous, to get to western Ukraine, say Lviv. €54. 190 seats on the plane - cost is €10,260. Are Ryanair flying at a loss? No fuckin' way. Let's round up to €15,000 and assume the plane flies back completely empty but still charges the IRPP or DoJ or Red Cross the same to cover fuel. We're up to €30,000. Max.

Obviously, though, they'd be using charters, at scale, for considerably less than commercial passenger rates.

No "six-figure sum", though, even at fully commercial rates.

Want to keep digging or do you want to admit you're talking through your arse?

• Advertisement

So you want 737s repatriating, or bigger aircraft that’s containerised that can hold more people and their luggage ? Because I know what makes more sense in the scenario…

if you want to repatriate 30000…. Ryanair, or Aer Lingus :) A330 got I think around 317 seats, 737 got 180 something…. Plus it may need tech stop for fuel.

ill let you get on to the Red Cross re: buying fuel. Ahem 😱

skyscanner for your argument, good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Is that not one of those sites that sells unsold seats or cancelations. Not exactly the going Rate.

Also in my former life I have previously worked for the Department of social protection and any jobseekers (perhaps the payment to refugees is not named as jobseekers I am unsure) were only permitted to leave the country for a maximum of 21 days per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

If there is zero value (cost to the user) then it can easily be discarded. If however you compare this to a foreign student that has paid to come and learn english they won't discard or walk away from the item/service that they paid for.

Why would you fly back to somewhere that is unsafe. It's not like they can go back to the area under Russian control. So what would the reason be exactly ? Visit family who are safe and staying in Ukraine If so why not stay with them. 🤔

Good save 😁

Even if your figures were even close to being accurate, which they’re not, because we have no idea of how many will come in, how many will leave of their own accord, how many will be asked to leave, or how many will be deported, the Irish Government won’t be on the hook for the full cost of anything in any case, let alone the cost of pre- or post-flight maintenance checks in either Ireland or Ukraine. It’ll be a coordinated EU effort.

I don’t even see any sort of ‘end-game’ tbh, certainly not one that would start with anyone getting within an asses roar of Putin anyway (a drone strike and hope to minimise casualties would seem like a better bet), let alone the idea of 150,00 Ukrainians coming to Ireland, or 50,000 returning home from Ireland.

It’ll probably take a couple of years for the figures to stabilise around 100k, by the time Ukrainian refugees are reunited with their families here, given that the vast majority who are here already are lone parents with children -

• As of the week ending 10 July 2022 there have been 43,256 Personal Public Service Numbers (PPSNs) issued to individuals from Ukraine under the Temporary Protection Directive.
    • Women aged 20 and over account for 47% of arrivals to date, while individuals aged 0-19 (both male and female) account for 37%. 
    • The highest percentage of those arriving (39% or 17,034 individuals) were categorised as 'One parent with children' under the broad relationship classification headings used. Note that spouses/partners may have stayed in Ukraine.
    • As of 10 July 2022, of the arrivals that attended employment support events arranged by Intreo Public Employment Services, 66% were noted with English language proficiency being a challenge in securing employment.
    • Of the 13,514 arrivals who attended an Intreo event, 9,645 had recorded previous occupations with "Professionals" being the largest group at 33%. Of the 9,744 persons where the highest level of education was recorded, 69% had achieved an NFQ level equivalent to 7 or higher.
    • Based on administrative data currently available to the CSO, of the arrivals from Ukraine aged 18 and older, 91% showed activity in administrative data after 31 May 2022.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/fp/p-aui/arrivalsfromukraineinirelandseries4/

Sorry I don't have faith in the CSO anymore as they removed 2 fields from the data I linked mysteriously. I asked if anyone could pull the cache tumbleweeds but no denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

Thank you 🙂 I keep thinking it's a year away and hopefully things improve but services only ever seem to go one way in this country!

Some posters on Facebook have talked about flying back to Ukraine for various reasons but another post just yesterday was a woman talking about going to France on holiday with her daughter. Another was a host family enquiring how long they could leave the country because they were off on their sun holiday and offered to bring the Ukrainian family they were hosting with them.. Some people have made very kind gestures! But yes, they aren't necessarily going to Ukraine some have taken holidays or said they were visiting family taking refuge in other countries. Without getting into the rights and wrongs of it just pointing out the different situations :)

So you take up spaces somewhere then the first thing you do is go off on holiday ?

Wheels coming off now.

However, he said the delays are not the fault of the “hugely efficient” Red Cross, which has 50 working on the situation. They have made more than 100,000 calls to Irish families to ensure they have completed the process.

Enjoyed that bit Irish water had a call centre of what 700 to handle the population. 50 is nothing.

Ahh I wouldn’t be over-reliant on the CSO anyways, they do that a lot - removing fields and representing and interpreting the data in all sorts of… interesting ways 😂

But for the purposes of a discussion on Boards where there is absolutely no chance of influencing social policy in any way, shape or form whatsoever, they’re handy enough to retrieve without going to too much trouble.

I’ve never tried it, but you could run the page you’re thinking of through archive.org and see if it has a cache of the CSO data. Seems unlikely though, probably better off rifling through the CSO archive itself -

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/nationalaccounts/archive/

In fairness ‘tis no wonder there was tumbleweeds 😳

• Advertisement

Yes I agree if it is so unsafe why return? What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

Definitely, and wouldn't lots of us love a holiday away to France? My holiday was a staycation in my garden 😂

Actually I'm surprised to read its 21 days you can leave the country from on welfare I didn't know for sure but always believed it was 2 weeks for some reason!

It was I think the 21 is legacy from Covid. Slow to change all that.

Edit

Fair enough at least someone answered. I will take your word for it. I did try google archives but nothing. Think it's cos the way they have setup the search. You enter the data you want then you pull it directly from them. No cache needed.

Enjoyed that bit Irish water had a call centre of what 700 to handle the population. 50 is nothing.

They wouldn’t need any more than 50 though because unlike Irish Water, they’re not handling the population, they’re only handling the small number of people who have offered to provide accommodation for Ukrainian refugees -

More than 3,000 vacant houses and 6,800 shared houses have been pledged by the public to house Ukrainians, however, just 35% of these have been filled to date.

Not sure ‘twas ever a good idea in the first place tbh to be asking the general public to accommodate refugees, but the wheels are hardly coming off yet -

Mr O’Dwyer said it is “huge” advantage to be taken in by a family.

“If a refugee got into a pledged accommodation, particularly a shared accommodation, it really gives them an opportunity to interact with Irish people,” he said. 

“It enables them to integrate really well. We have witnessed that it builds up tremendous relationships.” 

“There is huge learning on both sides. There are times it does not work out, let’s call it as it is, sometimes it doesn’t, and we have to intervene. 95% of the time this works really well and the experience is that both sides learn very much.” 

As an incentive, the Government is paying €400 per month for every property that hosts Ukrainians “in recognition of this contribution to the effort”.

Take your point on the call centre forgot it was only about 10k people they needed to contact. I think the €400 is a bit pie in the sky tbh and will not entice people. Food, Fuel. Cost of living will prob eat that. Obviously I would not want more money spent but hotels are getting more. You could spin the wheel and get a nice woman and a kid or 2 or skangers. And if you have a bad experience how do you get them out. It seems at the moment your placed with Ukrainians not the other way around. Like old fellas with young women just seems really stupid. I would have thought joined up thinking of age groups similar. I mean an old fella with 2 people cant cope regardless of the good intentions. I Mean has the EU not learnt from Syria. And that was what about 1m or more. My major gripe is apart from the abuse of the system. Solidarity has gone out the window. Some wealthier nations have not taken in their fair share. France for example have take in less per capita than us.

You’re not wrong either in all fairness. Dunno what the situation is like in France, but my own thinking on it when I read this article was “what did they expect?” -

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/13/stop-matching-lone-female-ukraine-refugees-with-single-men-uk-told

We probably won’t hear as much of that sort of thing going on in Ireland, but I know of a few cases of immigrants being exploited by “landlords” who knew these women were desperate. It’s probably why they’re vetting hosts now which, as expedient and all as they are, don’t offer refugees any real protection from exploitation when they’re desperate not to return to Ukraine, and desperate for somewhere to stay. I’d say there’s going to be quite a few would rather be homeless here than in Ukraine. The UK are beginning to see it already -

While many relationships between hosts and refugees are positive, some Ukrainians have ended up needing homeless accommodation as a result of relationships breaking down.

Kate Smart from the Settled charity says she is "getting quite a few calls about it". 

And councils are "already seeing a concerning increase in homelessness" among those who have arrived from Ukraine, says Cllr James Jamieson, chair of the Local Government Association.

In those cases, it would be best if families were "re-matched" with a new sponsor so they "can rebuild their lives in their new communities," he says.

One Ukrainian refugee who recently arrived in north-east England says she and her teenage son were left homeless after being manipulated by their hosts

"I am fleeing the war and all of a sudden I am on the street," says the woman, 45 who fled Bucha, north of Kyiv.

The mother and her 13-year-old son - whose identities are being protected - told the BBC she thought her hosts would be kind and caring, but within weeks she "did not feel safe or secure".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61548979.amp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

What a shitshow led by the pathetic government and their enablers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Try his: https://archive.org/web/

It’s a web archive. You can pull from previous dates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement