Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

That's so cruel it's almost funny

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Maybe the stats say otherwise but I always think when Connacht start a season well they usually have a decent season but a bad start can be a real killer. Just hard to play catch up with no momentum from early wins. Potential is really there for a 0-5 start. Hopefully they can nick a win or two from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Scottish hooker Grant Stewart signed on a 6 month deal for injury cover

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-sign-scottish-hooker-grant-stewart/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

So yes, the openers are tough but some of those games are winnable - Ulster and Bulls (Away, and tougher) and Munster (Home). In 2021 we won two from our first five, with victories against Ulster (Aviva) and the Bulls (Home).

But the real damage last year were the defeats by the Welsh and Scottish sides (the latter performances were among our worst all season). These teams are our competitors for the last eight, and our ability to put away teams like the Dragons and Cardiff will be a good yardstick of our progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

That's a decent bit bit of business. I wonder was Carolan contacted to sound it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

R Ah You finishing his career from no gametime in Ulster, Newcastle, no more in prod2, to french 5th division..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Didn't see it at the time but huge respect to him for his openness regarding his struggles with his mental health:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/ulster-rugby/i-didnt-care-if-i-died-at-21-former-ulster-prop-rodney-ah-you-opens-up-on-depression-in-emotional-video-38534519.html

So, we'll be stripped close to normal gamesheets without many extra numbers for friendlies, Academy included, as no one will play both Castres and Sale 2 days after

I'd have Heffernan and Bealham involved on the bench at home, as they had very few gametime in N-Z, but none of Hansen, Aki and Prendergast

Delahunt is the only injury case I'm aware of

France stage is making bounds so I'd send newcomers and players needing a fresh start after a mixed season

so 28 men

1) Dooley

2) Stewart

3) Illo

4) Thornbury

5) Murphy

6) Booth

7) McCormack

8) Hurley-Langton

9) Marmion

10) Fitz

12) Forde/Hawkshaw

13) Bolton

14) Ralston

11) O'Connor

15) Byrne

16) De Buitlear

17) Duggan

18) Aungier

19) N.Murray

20) S.Masterson

21) C.Reilly

22) Hawkshaw/Forde

23) McNulty

Reserves :

Ward or Michel

Vermulen

(props)

D.Byrne (row)

Gilvarry (SH)

J.Devine (back)

Post edited by connachta on

• Advertisement

Leaving in Galway for Sharks

1) Buckley

2) Tierney-Martin

3) McCoy

4) Fafita'a

5) Dowling

6) Boyle

7) Oliver

8) Butler

9) Blade

10) Carty

12) Daly

13) Farrell

11) Wootton

14) Porch

15) TOH

16) Heff

17) Burke

18) Beal

19) D.Murray

20) D.Byrne

21) W.Reilly

22) H.West

23) Mallon

Post edited by connachta on

Adam Byrne at 15? He's never played there. I think we need to make something of Aungier this year and he needs to start as often as possible. Finlay will surely be given a month off to compensate for the NZ tour. Same with Mack and Bundee. Heff hardly played, Cian did but he's a workshorse, would probably turn down a break if offered one.

He played there as a young or cover man (23), I do think he has more chance and abilities to get past TOH rather than compete with Porch, Ralston, Wootton, Hansen and so on

It all depends on Porch IRL

If he's seen as FB like 20/21 season, Byrne should absolutely play 14 and will have gametime when Hansen is in IRFU program

If he's seen a right-winger like 21/22 season, Byrne will have basically no gametime there and should try to move contested TOH and unproven McNulty as FB

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

There’s 0 part of the game that porch is better than Adam byrne at, his defence is pathetic and he’s not better going forward. He should however be favoured at 15 over toh who’s best rugby is well behind him. The main issue in the back 3 is at 15 and mcnulty should be given as much game time as possible as its likely porch will be out the door with friend at the end of the year. For byrne he should be our second choice winger behind Hansen and if he can stay fit may even reach hansens level

:(

Porch is either good or briilant

made defensive mistakes but an absolute starter for Connacht

Incredible story in fairness.

Always thought he was a very tidy scrum half too, just unfortunate with repeated injuries forcing him to retire relatively young.

Can't say I agree with that assessment of Porch at all. When you say defence do you mean positioning, decision making etc. or just tackling? I think his tackling is fine and certainly better than Wootton, McNulty, and others. If you're referring to his defence as a whole imo our defensive system is and has been very poor for a while now which puts our back 3 in difficult positions far more often than their equivalents at other provinces.

Do agree that Byrne will be a nailed on starter if he can stay fit, big if though.

Good tackler but very poor decision making, jams in an awful lot and doesn’t often get man and ball. Understandable when there’s a huge over lap but often it’s off first phase that gets punished a lot. Better suited to 15

Overall, this is a pretty accurate assessment, but i do think it's a bit harsh on Porch, who I see as a really good player but with inconsistencies and weaknesses (why do you think he'll leave with Friend?).

TOH is dunzo, so FB is certainly up for grabs. I'd like to see Mack try 15 for Connacht, he has his Irish spot on the wing but we don't have to play him there, especially seeing as Farrell is not interested in the way Connacht play their wingers.

As things stand, I want to see Mack, Byrne and Wooton as our go to back three. But Alex has some serious work to do on his defence. After that it's Porch. And I want to see McNulty alternate with MAck at 15 to see if he has what we need.

@Lucas44 what are your views on the situation in the front row, specifically TH and hooker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Byrnes defence has never been what you would call a strong attribute of his game either.

Fair enough, I do still think that poor reads in midfield and a lack of trust/clarity in the defensive system can contribute to that, but will definitely be keeping an eye out this season. Do prefer him at 15 in any case.

I would always have agreed but I thought it was hugely improved in his most recent appearances for Leinster, which gives me hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

His defence did definitely improve but he has a tendency to bite in when he shouldn’t. Something that for some reason seems to happen with a lot of Connacht’s wingers. As you pointed out probably something caused by the system as much as individuals. It might expose that weakness for Byrne too though.

believe porch is very close to friend and without getting close to the Irish set up can’t imagine him hanging around too much longer in this part of the world. Both th and hooker are far from ideal to say the least. Honestly don’t know a huge amount on Stewart so hopefully he works out until delahunt can’t rehab, would imagine he’s an improvement on Jonny Murphy which is a positive. Would rate illo higher than dtm in their respective positions so would be less worried about th than hooker. DTM imo won’t ever surpass delahunt or heff as a starter but should see a lot of game time in the start of the urc. Illo has the athleticism to form into a genge mould of prop so will be interested to see how he gets on this year, definitely think he’s better long term than aungier and mccoy

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

Porch is not IQ as is an Australia 7’s international.

Part of the Irish set up will never be on the cards .

Does anyone know if either of the preseason games against Castres/Sale will be televised/streamed?

Maksymiw gone from Dragons to Agen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Very unlikely to be televised. pre season games never really are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

More info here. I'd imagine as this is the last year of Friends contract its part of a succession plan.

Not best pleases that Wilkins is taking back responsibility for defense, bad as it was last year it wasn't great under him either.

Advertisement