Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Fish pasta in a tomato sauce, with a side of greens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Good stuff @woodchuck. I like tuna pasta, but thinking of trying canned crab in tomato sauce for a change. Fresh crab is so expensive, so maybe canned might be a choice?

I've never some across a canned salmon that I like, and it's almost as pricey as the fresh salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Was never a huge fan of tuna in anything but tuna pasta with cinnamon is something that I can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

i really don't like any tinned fish warmed up... v pungent.. fresh fish is a different story..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I actually use fresh fish for the pasta (a fish pie mix). I never even thought of using tinned! There's a tinned Salmon in Lidl that I like cold in wraps, wonder what it would be like in a hot dish though...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Fish Pie with some Panko on top for extra crunch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

@TheKBizzle would love to see the filling?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Made franchesinhas today. Albeit Irishised - just conventional sausages, no bacon fat in the sauce, dash of whiskey rather than port in the sauce.

Tomato sauce could have been a bit thinner and more spicy; steak should have been minute steak and not anything thicker/posher, and I ran out of cheese somehow. But otherwise it worked OK.

Had to Google that, sounds like something I'd make when pissed. Probably delicious though. Thanks @L1011.

• Advertisement

Currently marinading my pork chops in this. To go with lentil salad and green beans.

With hot sauce.

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭trashcan

Just made a prawn and broad bean risotto for dinner the evening, with added bacon. Was yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its absolute hangover food. However, you really want someone else to make it for you when you're hungover!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ham pasta. Leftover smoked ham from the weekend, bit of a parmesan broth sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Bit of a rubbish day yesterday, so I decided to clear my head by cooking a slap-up dinner.

Falafel, houmous, tabouleh (using quinoa rather than couscous) and flatbreads, all made from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Korean tofu with fermented chillies, coriander and lime. Spicy minced pork. Stirfried lemon cabbage. Rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

"Bit of a rubbish day yesterday, so I decided to clear my head by cooking a slap-up dinner."

Amazing how often this does the trick. I've had a few bad days/weeks over the last year or two, but bloody hell does cooking a solid meal for yourself/family do wonders for the mental health. It can really lift you out of a funk. It's no cure for depression but it is nevertheless a great way to make yourself feel better ... about yourself.

Yup, it can be very therapeutic.

I, mostly, don't get the whole, "last thing I want to do after a day's work is cook." It's usually exactly what I want to do to unwind. Especially if the idea and ingredients are all ready to go.

However, I don't have to cook daily for a family, I imagine that can be a dose - especially if you don't really enjoy cooking.

Aye, that's true. My partner really doesn't like it, I get that she wouldn't enjoy it. For me though, it's great when it comes to making myself feel better.

Watermelon & tomato panzanella with focaccia croutons, homemade mozzarella, and fresh mint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We booked a hotel this year for our hols, as opposed to our usual self-catering. No meal plans, shopping or cooking for 10 days. Don’t know myself. 😂

Same as previous night but prettier with broccoli than with cabbage.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

@the beer revolu is there a difference to korean tofu compared to the regular stuff?

Have never been able to eat the regular stuff at all, texture is a big nope.

To be honest, I don't find much difference to silken tofu but my wife really likes this one. If you don't like the texture of tofu, you probably wont like this. Maybe try tempeh - it tends to be much firmer and has pieces of soya bean in it.

I can take tofu or leave it but I've really enjoyed it dressed like that the last couple of days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

om nom nom

Burger looks great, but I am really digging that crispy chip/wedge. How do you do them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Ah, very easy - peel, chop etc then parboil for 5 mins, give a rinse with cold water and then salt.

Have an oven preheated to something like 210 with a heated tray and a generous drizzle of olive oil.

Chuck the chips in and don’t attempt to flip or shake them until the bases are crisped up enough that they turn without breaking.

Simple rice and mushrooms. Rice cooked in some beef juices and mushroom water (from hydrating some dried mushrooms), really added some flavour.

Burgers & Korean wings

• Advertisement

Free-range pork chop. Polenta. Broccoli. Grilled tomatoes.

(yes, a lot of fat but it will all get used and is delicious!)

Advertisement