Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

I went with eir, it was working before KN left, they tested to see if I was getting 1gb, was by wired connection, nowhere near it on their **** eir router. Got an ASUS router and much much better WIFI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Newstalk round-up of past and current issues on 10th anniversary of the announcement of the NBP.

https://link.goloudplayer.com/s/pG6UjXaRx20f

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Still beating my head off a wall here , fulfilment section in eir telling me it would be a max of 72 hours which they say is midnight tonight , roll on next week ,

saw the kn guys that did the install around the town and asked them why they didn’t sort it out before leaving , blew me off and told me not their problem , they did the install ,it’s now eirs problem,

shouldn’t be this annoyed about this but at this stage I’ll just have to let it play out or I’ll go nuts .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Again, there is little nbi can do if the isps fail to provision, this is not an nbi problem, its purely down to the isp, and any fix will be done within the isp and with no involvement from nbi!

Nbi comoleted their task, provided a working fibre connectiin into your prrmises back to their network, tested it and verified it, there is litle else they could have done beyond that!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its one of the things that grates me tbh and slows down the entire program. If folks are so concerned and excited to get BB to their premises they should personally be looking at removing any barriers to that. Like I did which was digging my own duct line from existing pole to the house.

As the original duct had completely collapsed in and the old Telecom Eireann line with it.

I've set myself up for install success and did that nearly two years plus ago. I'm scheduled for 2025. So be it. But the installation should be smooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

I would cancel and go with someone else it will never get any better with eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I went with Digiweb, and the KN engineer did a speedtest before he left to show I had the speed ordered. Seems crazy that they wouldn't validate the system is working correctly before they leave, but it does seem to be the norm for specific ISPs. NBI should be stipulating in their SLAs that that the ISPs need to be ready to provision with X hours of a connection (or indeed be ready for when the engineer arrives).

This is the document that should cover such an SLA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

The End

Update (in bold)...

Area: West Wicklow. Specifically the lane I live on. Blessington DA.

September 2020: One man and an Actavo/NBI van doing a survey.

December 2020: One man taking pictures of poles etc.

26th March 2021: Contractors cutting hedges and trees.

30th August 2021: A crew arrived and strung fiber between the poles.

During the week of 11th Oct 2021 to 15th Oct 2021, a crew arrived and installed a lot of DPs (much more than I expected).

Anticipated availability: October 2021 - December 2021.

Anticipated availability: January 2022 - April 2022.

Anticipated date for connection: April 2022 - June 2022

28th December 2021: My EirCode has moved to "Available for pre-order" in the last few days.

28th January 2022: Pre-ordered with Sky. 500Mbps €35.00 pm for 12 months, no installation fee. Install date 7th July 2022.

1st July 2022: My EirCode has moved to "Ready to Connect". - That's 6 months in "Pre Order"!!

8th July 2022: Received an install date from KN Circet of 26th July 2022.

26th July 2022: One man from KN Circet arrived on install day to do a survey (my words) and declared that duct was blocked, nothing would happen today and KN would be in touch at a later date after duct is unblocked. To be honest, it's what I expected so no big surprise.

5th August 2022: Install crew arrived at 9 am followed by another crew at 10 am to bring the fiber from the manhole to the house. After a discussion, they went along with my preference (the more difficult option) of how to get it to the house. At one stage a lad crawled under the hedge (it's wide) with the conduit in his hand, the other guy fed it to him, a few minutes later a shout. The second guy cut the conduit and two or three minutes later the fibre emerged from it. About 20 meters up along the hedge, the first guy's head emerged (it was very funny) and he crawled out smiling. They also had to take up some kerb stones and dig under the garden edging. Everything was put back perfectly. They were superb, nothing was too much for them. Well done KN Circet and well done Sky for having the service ready to go on install day.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

• Registered Users Posts: 42 flipper2009

So my (relatively) elderly neighbours got connected to Sky with an NBI cancellation slot a couple of weeks ago. I connected the Sky router for them and did a speed test and they were only getting 30 - 50 Mb download. I didn't worry about it as my own speeds increased dramatically in the first few hours of connection. I only got around to doing another speed test for them today and they were getting anything from 0.2 Mb to 100 Mb download, directly connected to the ONT. i rang Sky and after the usual reset the router, reset the ONT and try on the PC and on the phone, they said they'd send out a new router. If that doesn't improve things, Sky will get an NBI engineer to call back. I'm interested to see what happens as their fibre is passing through a lot of trees from the DP to the house and I'm wondering if it's that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

I'd be the same iam down for install on Wednesday after poles went up yesterday the pole thats at the corner ofmy garden is between two trees which will obstruct the fibre cable,so in the morning the chainsaw will be out to cut away any long branches,I'll have the firewood from the trees next winter as well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Fiber usually either works or it doesn't. The risk with trees is that it will damage it. You are unlikely to get a micro bend. Faulty termination or splice may be an issue as well

Slava Ukrainii

Day 6 at the no eir FTTH household , will start the daily runaround call to eir in a while , meanwhile our nearest neighbour is getting his install (eir NBI) will be interesting to see if he has internet today .

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

This sounds like typical Eir incompetence. They simply dont care. No amount of money or savings would ever convince me to pick Eir over any other provider for any communication product they sell. I would rather ring mumbai than their customer service.

Next door neighbour just got installed with EIR everything working , eir have NOW admitted it’s a glitch on their system and a tech manager is now working to sort it out , they need to update their systems and that could take 24 hours .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Finally got sorted , was on the phone to cancel when the activation texts came in , off for a swim now to calm down

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pukeko

Hi Folks,

Got the Ready to Connect status here at last, hurray!

Any recommendations for providers in general or specific to the area (Youghal).

Currently have VF for fixed line and no major issues but interested to hear if there are any NBI connection pitfalls to avoid!

ta

Thanks to all who listened to all my moaning and complaining over the last while , and all those who update with info on their installs which really helped .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davpower

Was installed on Thursday, unfortunately the PON light was flashing, the installer reported it to NBI. Anyone had this issue because wondering how long it takes NBI to come out and fix a network issue. Also does anyone have the settings for connecting own router to ONT. I've signed up with Vodafone. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

Got installed yesterday at second attempt, trees needed to be cut. 500 mbps low latency, went with sky, very efficient and 30 a month for 1st 12 months. Avoid eir those who are asking, most incompetent company in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Pm me asa reminder and i will send you on the settings for vf, i am using my own unifi router unstead of the vf suoplied one

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

Probably the current Sky offer of €29 for Broadband and €10 for Sky Q lite?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Sorry folks how long were people waiting for the preorder to be available from the provider? My status changed in nbi to preorder available about 2 weeks ago but sky (my ISP) haven't recognised this change yet and say FTTH is not available for my address yet.

My sister in law next door can preorder with Sky and has a date for October for installation. So i rang sky to see if they have my eircode down incorrectly or something and 'technical support' told me no one can preorder with Sky. I told them my sister in law has just done it this morning and they just said no that's impossible. We live on a country lane and about 20 houses all went to preorder on NBI at the same time but it seems i'm the only one who cannot action it.

Update - it seems its time locked to existing customers. I noticed that if i checked Sky's own website for ultrafast broadband using my eir code and not logged in it would say it was available but when i logged in it wouldnt let me upgrade saying it was not available. So i cleared all cookies checked my eircode on their main Ultrafast page and was able to preorder. VERY odd situation but i know two of my neighbours both changed from other providers and could preorder without any hassle. I don't know if this trick of mine will work as its looks like i'm now setting up a new account but we'll see.

Post edited by jones on

I'm not sure if this will help but I went preorder in 12/21. I preordered with Sky one month later in 01/22. Six months later (07/22) I went ready to order and was connected one month later ((08/22).

I wouldn't be too bothered about preorder. I'm not sure how necessary it is. I'd be inclined to check another isp to see if you can preorder there and if you can, then go back to sky and tell them. If you can't I'd email contactus@nbi.ie and enquire with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

KN were installing the network touch point outside our house this week which is good progress. It's underground rather than on a pole but it's the other side of the (small country) road so I don't know how they plan on getting it across to my ducting but I assume there's a plan.There's no existing telephone poles or anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davpower

Seven days since install and still no broadband. Vodafone are offering no updates regarding when it may be fixed. I hope it doesn't take this long to fix issues when it goes down over the winter season.

Advertisement