Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

I think ye may be forgetting about Conway who was only replaced due to injury and has consistently shown up in a green jersey. He will be back soon too and will have a huge stake to re-claim before the Six Nations and RWC

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Conway seems to be a Farrell favourite as well.

(And as an aside, I’d love to see Earls make it to 100 caps)

Whatever way it pans out tho, there’s going to be some very good wing options missing out in the RWC squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

So I don't agree with this

Quelle Surprise lol.

You're a pretty difficult person to converse with my friend. Because you disguise "genuine discussion" with just disagreeing with people.

Consistent disagreement does not equal discussion. A concept lost on many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I have very high regard for Earls but I'd find it pretty disappointing if he started ahead of Hansen, Balacoune or Conway. I would also comfortably have Larmour ahead given how well he was playing at the end of last season but the Irish coaches obviously don't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I don’t expect him to start ahead of any of those, but would love to see him hit 100 off the bench.

I think both he and Larmour are good fits for the 23 jersey, but Farrell has shown a willingness to put dedicated centres there too.

I’d also disagree that Larmour was comfortably ahead; Larmour was on fire going foward at the end of last season, but Earls’ defence is still top class.

• Advertisement

It's also good to have options in your squad who bring something different to the party. It doesn't have to be the case that each and every player in every position is a facsimile of the other options. To me, both Hansen and Baloucoune bring different things to a squad.

Hansen has been pretty good for us tbf in the opportunities he's got, notwithstanding his lack of tries.

Baloucoune is the most exciting option to me because I just don't think we've ever had a player with his sort of out and out pace, who could score almost any time he gets the ball.

This is a good problem to have though where we've good options: Lowe, Hansen, Earls, Conway, Baloucoune, Larmour are all good wingers who offer something, and I'd be excited to hopefully see Stockdale return to fitness and form over the next season too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Do we care who is scoring the tries as long as they are being scored? We scored 24 in the 6Ns. 7 more than France and 13 more than Scotland. Wales and England only managed 8. We’ve been scoring plenty of tries and some very nice ones to boot. If Hansen isn’t the one dotting then down does it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It looks to me as if Earls is really slowing down, and Larmour is a flawed player. I'd have them behind Lowe, Stockdale and Hansen for the left wing, and behind Hansen, Baloucoune and Conway for the right wing. Come to think of it, maybe I'd prefer Baloucoune and Conway at 11 too. And I think Larmour shouldn't be ahead of Keenan, JOB and Lowry at fullback.

Their best opportunity might be as "versatile" bench options, but the extent to which they (especially Larmour) actually cover centre well is very debatable. I don't trust Larmour's defensive instincts at all. He's inclined to get too narrow, leaving the possibility for the opposition to outflank the defence. Jimmy O'Brien would be a better #23 if you want versatility. He's a technically sound defender of the 13 channel, and is a far more assured fullback than Larmour.

That sounds like a very negative appraisal, reading it back. Larmour does have quality. Perhaps he'd bring more 'impact' off the bench than a Conway or a JOB.

The 'Farrell is looking for a playmaker' line doesn't really hold up as an explanation for Hansen over Baloucoune when you also consider the fact that Conway has been a favourite of Farrell's. Conway has virtually no playmaking game. Baloucoune looks like a gun player to me. It's a bit curious he hasn't been involved more. Not enough of a kicking game? Not good enough at contesting box kicks? I don't quite get it. He's got so many outstanding qualities. Faster than Hickie? Maybe. And he's up there with Bowe and Fitzgerald as the best wing defenders I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I wouldn't hold Hanson's try scoring rate against him, it's a stick that was commonly used against fitzgerald, and ignores the massive upside that their skills bring to a team. I don't think there's much between any of the options on the wing, with the exception of Lowe's defensive kicking as a standout separate from the rest, they could all slot in and do a really good job.

I specifically wasn't criticising Hansen's try scoring record, just noting a previous poster had called him out for it, while noting I think he's been a big positive for us and played well. Probably wasn't clear enough.

I do think he's a bit looser in defence that some of the others though. That moment when Dan Sheehan stepped him and Hansen didn't put a hand on him is still fresh in my mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Hansen was our best winger last season. There's no way we should be dropping him for anyone on current form. If a player is to come in on the wing then they should be taking Lowe's spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Why? Lowe offers a boot that nobody else does and has himself been very good for Ireland. Why is he in the firing line over Hansen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Statistically, it would appear that we are gifted a world class No.10, every 7 year or so.

Roll on the next one!

Post edited by Pat Dunne on

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Carty has played ninety seconds in green since the RWC in 2019. It's not fair to judge him on chances he hasn't had. But maybe the point is thatv AF appears to have already come to a conclusion on that issue. Injuries may force him to reconsider, but that is the lie of the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

I want to see it happen, but will it? What will then be done with the Byrnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Only if you're counting players like Eric Elwood and Ralph Keyes as "world class", which very much isn't the case.

It's 13 years since Sexton made his test debut btw, so we should have had two in the interim, yet here we are.

Yes, it’s been a bit of a wait. However, we’ve also had the situation in times past where we had two equally talented individuals, vying for the same No.10 shirt. Ward, Campbell. O’Gara, Humphreys. O’Gara, Sexton.

I rate Eric Elwood you may not, that’s part of the fun of offering one’s opinion. Besides, Eric Elwood is the 4th highest scoring Fly Half for Ireland of all time. Be it total points scored or points average, only, Sexton, O’Gara and Ollie Campbell have better game averages.

Im also lucky enough to have seen 9 of the 10 players that I listed, playing for Ireland.

It's not fair to judge him on chances he hasn't had. 

I'm not judging them, Andy Farrell is. And all these guys have had many, many chances to impress Farrell - game time is not the only thing that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Not unless you have a very very loose definition of “Wold Class”. Yes we have had international class outhalves. Sexton is the only world class outhalf we have ever had though. Even O’Gara at his peak, would not have qualified as world class and he was next best.

If you’re going to use Ward, why not throw Madigan in there. Ward was a brilliant individual player but he was no where even remotely close to world class. I have seen nearly all the players you mentioned play. Especially Ward as he was my clubs outhalf. When they asked the Scrumhalf what it was like to play with someone, who the opposition never knew what he’d do. The reply was yeah but neither do we.

Ralph Keyes was a stop gap in one of the worst periods of Irish rugby ever. As poor as Carberry has been, he would still be an upgrade on Keyes. To call Humphries and Elwood world class is like upselling glass as diamonds.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If that level of revisionism continues, 20 years after carbery retires he's going to be the best player we've ever had that player both 10 and 15......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

I think after this year its a tussle between Ross Byrne and Frawley for the Leinster Jersey. Farrell has no problem picking players who aren't starting at their provinces so we could well see Frawley leep frog Ross in that sense. It's so hard to see where Harry is as he just doenst play enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Carbery needs to stay fit to have a chance of proving anything. In between some brief bouts of being very good, he's often very average on the pitch or is on the treatment table. The 10 slot post-Sexton will have a lot of competition but like Carbery none of them stand out as a huge talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think there's a list who'll get another shot to prove themselves and November will be ideal for that. IMO we won't have a settled 10 once Sexton goes, not for a few years anyway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Harry Byrne needs to show he can stay fit - He needs to be on a pitch , playing consistently week in week out.

If he's not in a match day 23 for Leinster he should be turning out for his club at every available opportunity.

couldn't agree more, needs to be playing ail if he's fit and not getting a go at leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Larmour could be the player Farrell wants but, the fact that he's so poor under the high ball is probably the deal breaker. I think the 23 jersey is Larmours best option.

there's a list who'll get another shot to prove themselves and November will be ideal for that

I'd be surprised if, barring injury, we see anything other than Sexton & Carbery vs SA and Oz, and Carbery & AN Other vs Fiji.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agreed , and Carbery should start against Australia and Fiji.

Advertisement