Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

With the quality of our colleges and universities in every county, no student is more than a bus ride away from one. No need nor expensive accommodation. End the scourge of noisy student parties an added bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119452397#Comment_119452397 There was an error displaying this embed.

You must really hate the youth of this country. Imagine the nerve of those rural kids thinking they can become doctors, isn’t a plc good enough for them 😂

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119452397#Comment_119452397 There was an error displaying this embed.

Wrong . Medicine , Nursing and other disciplines are only available in certain Unis actually

• Registered Users Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

OMG lets house these refugees first in case we look bad in front of the international community.

Whatever will the neighbours think?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Barbosa92

Please tell me that’s a trolling comment. Leaving home for the first time to attend college are one of the most important/formative years of a persons life. Having this denied to students is heartbreaking. Doing their course full time online or facing long commutes is not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

The motto of this country seems to be Help everyone but yourself.

Especially when your wealthy and gain more wealth from it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,446 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Does being on the dole count as being employed by the Department of Social Protection nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bazza935

These people are some of the most self entitled people ive ever come across. Irish being walked all over by them. Western Ukraine is safe why don't they go home? I probably wouldn't bother either if a random country was bending over backwards for me either €€€€€

You are claiming it would cost "a six-figure sum" per repatriation flight. I've demonstrated it would cost far less than half that even if only commercial flights were used. If it's a concerted EU/Red Cross effort using larger, chartered/contracted planes, then economies of scale also kick in and it would cost even less per passenger.

Deflect all you want, they're the facts.

Btw, the DoJ currently use commercial flights for repatriations and deportations.

• Advertisement

Not sure how you think aircraft maintenance works but it's not like that. Under your mandated flight hours? All boards green after checks? Away you go.

Latest news is an attack on Dnipropetrovsk:

Elsewhere, 13 civilians were killed by Russian strikes in the Dnipropetrovsk region in central Ukraine, the local governor said.

"It was a terrible night. 11 people were killed," Valentin Reznichenko wrote on Telegram.

He added in a later post that two more people had died of their injuries overnight.

Twelve of the victims were killed in strikes on the village of Marganets, on the other side of the Dnieper River from the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, said Mykola Lukashuk, the regional council head.

"Administrative buildings were damaged: high-rise buildings, a school, a cultural palace, a city council building," he said.

"In the town, the power line has been cut. Several thousand people are without electricity."

~ my emphasis added, source: https://www.rte.ie/news/ukraine/2022/0810/1314875-ukraine-russia/

Also in a "safe" area where @Nuts102 and @Suckit think the refugees should be, and nowhere near the supposed combat zones.

"Don't have faith in the CSO anymore" - Gemma O'Doherty-level conspiracy theory stuff now.

They really don't like it when their wild claims, assertions, and anecdata are challenged with facts, figures and news reports from reliable sources, do they, @One eyed Jack ?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

I refuse to believe you aren't trolling with that comment.. Seriously????

Quality, that has made my day! We live in a very rural area, the bus service is a disaster, bus early in the morning into town and the only one back late in the evening, its a nightmare to live here without a car. If we need the doctor there is one taxi driver here and well, the man doesn't work 24 hours. Never mind though, the Ukrainians are housed right beside the doctor and shop and have a bus service at their beck and call three times a week.

The nearest university is great quality but they don't do every course, use your brain, if kids want to do certain courses they will have to travel the country to do it.

My daughter is starting next year, if she can't get accommodation she will have a four hour daily commute ahead of her, doable but that is potentially valuable study time, her first time moving out of home to her own place is extremely important developmentally, practicing all of her life skills starting out in the big bad world, because I'm pretty confident with the way the country is going she will have to go abroad and I won't be around to help her.

You sound like you're just bitter about youth actually being able to have a party and enjoy themselves, why shouldn't they? I'm sure you did it when you were young no?

You are just fine you have raised your children and have a home, sure you worked hard for it, etc etc but the majority did! There are elderly that will freeze in their homes this winter, it's long into the future sure but what about when this generation rent retires? I'm going off topic now but your comments have really angered me, You need to open your eyes, the government is running this country into the ground, though I feel my comments are wasted on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

How many have you met and dealt with or spoken to ? I have met quite a few and have a family in a house we own

All were beautiful , grateful , mannerly and kind people . All just wanting to go home and live their life when its safe for them .

50 people to handle circa 20,000 pledges compares really well (400-1) with 700 to look after the circa 2,000,000 dwellings in Ireland (2,850-1), but sure.

After having to flee from your home, possibly after your actual home was destroyed, and possibly after having lost loved ones, why the hell wouldn't you go on a holiday if the opportunity was available?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Personal opinion trumps fact in current affairs. Many posters get quite annoyed when asked to support their feelings with actual data.

Usually those feelings have racist or sexist bent and are thanked quite highly despite being nothing but lies and propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

780 rentals in the entire country is a national crisis.

""The number of homes available to rent across the country has plunged to a record low of just 716, causing the highest monthly rent increases in more than 15 years.

Just 716 homes were available to rent at the start of this month, down from almost 2,500 a year ago, with rents rising by 12.6% in the same period.""

Screw us right.

Or you know something better?

Instead of castigating our fellow citizens what is your answer on where we are going to house everybody?

What I don't get is why there aren't massive protests already similar to the Water charges ?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40936727.html

Western Ukraine is safe why don't they go home?

Repeating bullshit doesn't make it true.

First, many millions are internally displaced and are being accommodated in western Ukraine.

But secondly, there have been many missile attacks on civilian targets, including those in "safe" "non-combat" areas. If your country was being illegally invaded, would you be happy moving your family from Dublin to Limerick, because Limerick is probably going to be safe?

How short people's memories are. It's literally only a couple of months since the 64km-long RuAF convoy was approaching Kyiv. They got as close as 30km from the centre of Kyiv and only aren't there now because of the fierce resistance they encountered combined with luck with the weather bogging down their main convoy.

• Odesa is on the Black Sea but nowhere near Donbas - repeatedly attacked with cruise missiles.
    • Vinnytsia is in central Ukraine - attacked with rockets last month.
    • Kremenchuk is also in central Ukraine, nowhere near a combat zone. A shopping mall attacked with missiles, during the day.
    • Dnipropetrovsk: 13 civilians were killed by Russian strikes in the Dnipropetrovsk region in central Ukraine this week. Twelve of the victims were killed in strikes on the village of Marganets, on the other side of the Dnieper River from the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant

There are many more examples.

Finland and Sweden are now clamoring to join NATO. Why? Because they don't trust Russia to confine their expansion to the Donbas region (after they'd already annexed Crimea!). I think ordinary Ukrainian citizens, then, are perfectly justified in not hanging around in what boardsies deem to be "safe" areas.

Refused to pay for a hairdressers service and said it was free. Pushing at bus queues past people also claiming they don't have to pay. They should have more respect as guests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Of course but that doesn't mean Ireland can or should take so many of them does it!

Outnumbering irish in our own towns and villages at this stage. Crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Yes & Veterinary / Optometry only offered in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Good way to show you haven't a clue what you are talking about. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Barbosa92

Free public transport too by just flashing a Ukranian ID. If they have the resources to get to Ireland I’m sure they have enough money for the bus. They have more disposable income then half the country and still getting freebies left right and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭enricoh

How many of these 716 will be rented by our government n handed to people a wet week in this country? Better off not knowing - it'd make u sick!

You've not actually engaged with the Red Cross at all, have you? You're just... inventing stuff.

If you made a pledge, the Red Cross will get in touch. Yes, imho, they're taking way too long, but I don't know what resources they have. They will ask what you can offer, and they do also ask what preferences you have for people being assigned to you. Number of people, whether you'd take a parent with a young child, preference for male or female, agegroup, etc. So if you've young kids and think a person with a kid of a similar age would be good, then yes, you can request that. If you're an older person, you can request an older person is placed with you.

Or y'know... you can request a younger person. Like some the Homeshare scheme that's been in operation since long before the current crisis, that's been universally well received. Young people get to live nearer college/work, in the home of an older person, who get company and some help around the house. Everyone's needs are different.

If you have a bad experience, then the Red Cross will mediate and move out the people if things still don't work out. As already outlined in this thread. Because that's in the best interests of the host, the guest, and the Red Cross.

If the issue cannot be resolved through mediation and all avenues have been explored, the IRC will support with ‘moving on plans’ for your guest. 

~ https://www.redcross.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Guide-for-Hosts-Shared-Accommodation.pdf

Hearsay, rumour and rhetoric.

Do you also believe Nigerian refugees used to leave prams at bus stops when there was already one on the bus, saying loudly "Sure the HSE will give me a new one!" - a story I heard from multiple people who definitely witnessed this incident first hand, honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Some places could do with a bitta chlorine in the gene pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It seems, unsurprisingly that the developers want their piece of the pie. Offering to do "some" pro-bono work.

Obviously the fact that "the conversion costs can be recouped after being independently verified" would mean there is no way that they could rip off the state and keep raising the price in line with desperation. 🙄 Presumably none of the developers involved would have any connection with TD's.

They seem to be making a push now as they are obviously aware of this and realise how much they are potentially missing out on.

The cost of housing Ukrainians in hotels is estimated at about €33 million per year for every 1,000 people, and the total cost of all support is estimated at up to €1 billion this year.

I wonder how quickly that could escalate to "running millions over estimate due to inflation for construction projects or a rise in fresh cost claims from the developers."..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement