Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Be sure to try one or or one similar. The dials on GS are fab but the bracelet and case can be a disappointment for some. I would not buy one blind, as anything GS that not springdrive can be a slow sell on a catch and release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

For me they are the same story 😁

But yeah chances are you lose a lot more by buying a new car than by buying a new watch. Depending on the watch of course. I'd say you were right about the grand Seiko, you won't take a bath on it, it will still be worth well over half the retail price when you sell it after 4-5 years. You can't say that about most cars.

Personally I prefer buying cars and watches that go up in value over time, but that has more to do with my regular income being not enough to finance my desired lifestyle 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭banie01

They do,I tried a few GS on in there last time I was up in Dublin. I'd echo the advice on trying one on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

At 5.5k Austrian dollars (anyone seen that James Franco scene 😀😀) it’s a saucy price euros I assume also.

But it looks the tits and I am here for the flip 😀 as it’s just my style.

• Advertisement

I dropped an email to Belfast last week as I'm mulling getting my Sinn Destro back and holding onto it for another while yet.

The market is tanking for the low end of the luxury market and I'd rather hang onto it and wear it 😉

Anyway sent an email on the 19th and had no reply up to yesterday. My habit in that instance is to resend the email with an FYI just in case I hit the spam filter.

Anyway got a reply to the 2nd with the news that email recipient was on holiday. Which is great, everyone needs a holiday. Now that said? Why the fúck would anyone in a role reliant on decent Comms, go on holiday without setting an OOO?

Or am I being needlessly picky? I mean surely an out of office is basic cop on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I would tend to agree with you Banie , I don’t find their comms amazing if I’m honest.

That’s par for the course. Is it Gavin you are dealing with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

That's sgbp017 one of three on my wishlist (ultrachron and BB58) at the moment. As others have said i'ld hope to see one in the flesh, maybe in Weirs. They are €3800 in France. I love the display back and the jump hour, plus there's the lines of the 44GS case. For me it'll come down to what the dial looks like in the flesh.

We're a two GS household, my missus picked out a stgf286 over a 67193 once I explained the cost of servicing to her. I have an sbgv225.

No, it's Tim. In the grand scheme of things it's not a huge issue but, it really doesn't behoove them to not have the cop in to set up an OOO.

• Advertisement

They are all clearly slightly incompetent than one staff member so.

I've done a deal on one. I didn't try on so I know it's a slight risk but at 7.25 inch wrists I think it will be about bang on size. Paid a bit below retail but it's basically a brand new watch that's never been sized with all stickers on etc. Should get some day next week. Bought from the UK on tz forums so coming via a mate in northern Ireland.

Nah mick size on them is fine, they wear about the same as a 40mm Rolex. Wont be a problem for you.

Comms is slow alright. I would give any watch 1-2 months and then pull it. Market is fcuked up at the moment, no buyers.

Well wear with the sgbp017. That was a quick decision. Do let us know what you see in the dial when you get it.

I was chatting about the issue with the Mrs before I posted and I said I can guarantee that 893 shares my opinion 😉

That shot of your white VC is eye watering good too 👍

I sent a mail asking to adjust down the price of my Ming. Big reduction of 20 percent plus.

No response over the full week to my request so I just pulled it. **** em. They will go under with that carry on. Watches ain’t selling themselves anymore.

I've been plugging away at a few auctions lately trying to snag a fabled 7458-7010, the rare transitional model between the 7548-7000 and 7c43.

Early in the week one very clean 7010 came up and the bidding was lolling around less than 20 euros. The watch is for my son, so I said that'll either go for low money, or some guy who knows what it is will buy it for 400€.

So I chased it this week, I just bid 400. Have I become the guy I feared was out there somewhere earlier in the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Been on the lookout for a 2 register Chrono in a reasonable size. Looks like Hanhart finally went into non limited production of the 417ES in much more original dimensions after the Red Lion TGV collab. Wasn’t mad on the vintage lume and YouTube connection.

39x46x13.3 is right in my wheelhouse - fearing for my bank balance once they sort out availability issues. Sold out everywhere

https://monochrome-watches.com/hanhart-417-es-1954-39mm-pilots-chronograph-hands-on-price/

• Advertisement

i think there's one on tz forum's at the moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Saw it - it’s the Red Lion on TZ. Even if it’s a Hanhart signature, far prefer stainless pushers over red.

Plus they want near retail for it before you add the VAT. Would prefer to buy brand new tbh at that rate and get the watch I want. Might be a different story if I was saving 25% and had a UK address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

Ok SKX prices are getting silly. There's a few popped up at the 400-500 mark the last few weeks but this is a new high!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

They might be, but I don't know that they are selling.

I've had my 009 K2 up for weeks now without so much as a low ball offer.

I don't know whether it is the ceramic bezel is putting people off, but it is very sensibly priced, with the original included.

Ho hum.

SKX prices peaked a few years ago and are well down from that peak now. You'd pick one up handily enough for under £200 from TZ. Still pretty mad as the last one I bought from Creation brand new about 3-4 years ago was just €139 iirc

That seller is dreaming, nothing to do with the state of the pricing of the SKX. Did any of them on adverts really sell for €400-€500 as you seem to suggest?

Ha, found yours. Might as well plug it here 😂 It's very reasonably priced imho

Maybe stick back on the original bezel and don't mention anything about the new one?

Well I didn't get the 7548-7010, turns out there was also a guy who values it at 425 euro.

So, in consolation we bought an skx, which is what my son wanted in the first place, 210 plus 100 in taxes and shipping. I also bought some DAL1BP straps which are supposed to be genuine. Waiting now on ball bearing and springs to tidy up my 7548-7000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

I'm surprised yours hasn't shifted. It is well priced I'd be interested myself if I hadn't got a Pepsi turtle. If I get an SKX now it will be a 007. (If anyone has one that's not gouging on price! 😀)

One for 550 is it newish and good nick and J model on bracelet 400 would be closer to mark. I have seen some fairy old ones in poor enough condition go for 300 plus. For watches that were available for €150 new and occasionally close to €100 it's some mark up. At the time he bought it they were around the 300 mark.

Really hope Seiko bring out an updated Prospex version with same case and keep the dial as clean with just printed indices. I'm sure it will happen at some stage but could be a few years yet

🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Probably be a quicker sell if you’d stuck the original bezel back on it and either include or sell separately the ceramic one .

€500 is far too much for an skx . They’re a great watch at under €300 but at €500 a steinhart ocean 1 has it well beat.

• Advertisement

Speaking of steinharts , what appears to be a good deal for €550 has just popped up on adverts

I bought from that seller before, he's sound too. I think he occasionally posts in here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi banie01 hope all is well on the home front.

Try a Google for Nick Hacko. He is a watchmaker in Sydney and had an online watchmaking course a good few years back on a basic Seiko auto movement.

First episode had a list of essential tools. My advice is buy decent Bergeon(?) sppllening, screwdrivers. The tips are replaceable and can be filed to shape. I got most of my stuff on fleabay used before shipping from Uk and USA went bananas.

If you can’t find the course on line get back to me.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Just to round out on my moan about the Comms from some in Belfast. Last email from Tim was that he was on hols, back on Monday and would sort me out then unless I wanted it rushed back then he'd pass me over to the office. Told him enjoy the holiday and sort me out when he got back...

Reader... He did not sort me out 🤷‍♂️

I've been in touch and wheels are in motion now. After another poke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

have been given a watch by my dad of a glycine quartz. he got it in 2002 and been in a drawer for years, local shop changed the battery this morning but nothing happened. is there someone in ireland who could have a look\. its a 2 hander too and am curious about that too.

also given a seiko with a 5m82 kinetic movement which seems to be seized. timemark i think can sort that for me

• Advertisement

Ahhhh

had agreed a deal on a heavily discounted gold globemaster in the wf sale and someone else nabbed it before I completed payment 😞

was very good value imo

@blue5000 thanks for that steer and the Bergeon suggestion. They are pricey enough but if I buy them? Hopefully it'll be a buy right, buy once choice 😉

The saga of my Chrono24 purchase continues. Bought from a lovely guy in Norway, really sound. Unfortunately the new electronic declaration system is the bane of our purchase.

He posted on the 20/7 and to their credit, Norway Post held the package to get the rest of the required customs info before they shipped internationally. Due to this, it didn't leave Norway until the 27th.

When it hit Ireland it was flagged for incomplete electronic info so it is being RTS'd.

Seller is reshipping via UPS when he gets it back in hand. Hopefully that will guarantee that it gets to me this time around.

Yeah its a royal pain the hole.. its mad - i bought a watch Friday from the UK - was shipped Royal mail to my buddy in Antrim and he had it 11am Saturday morning.. impressive services... it will probably take 3 days to get down here... he's posting it down to Dublin.. its not an expensive watch.. if it was id pop up for it... royal mail will max insure 250 pounds to the South...

My usual tactic for UK stuff is similar. My uncle is living in Co. Down and I usually get it shipped to him and then either swing in to him when I'm up that way or have him post it down.

Not as a VAT dodge but honestly as a means of ensuring it is delivered.

is there anywhere safe to use similar to the way parcel motel used to work ? As in have a watch posted to a NI addresss and they ship it or you can collect ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There are a couple of outfits in Derry who act as parcel drops.

Can send on details if you want.

Please do .

would they be secure for sending a watch to ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Well lads, not posted in a while. @banie01 I hope all is well with you currently.

As some of you may know I'm Middle East based and was recently directed to a site called the Luxury Closet which is like an Ebay for high end goods in the region. Been browsing and can't help but noticing literally every Rolex is being reduced by circa 8% from the original advertiser price. Is the bubble finally starting to deflate I wonder? I've a bonus plus personal top up sitting intact which I've earmarked for a watch in time but I can't help but think time, no pun inteneded, should be waited out until a correction comes good.

well im no expert but it does seem like there's a lot more supply now than there was. A lot of folks seem to be 'getting out' of their rolex etc while they can probably still make a healthy margin on it.. there's always the argument to be made that its good to buy as prices come down.. if you arent to far off retail for stuff like rolex i can't imagine it nose diving to low below that.. but 20k gmts might come back to retail at some point?

if someone from the north posts down a watch there is no vat or customs issue compared to coming in from the mainland?

Yeah there's nothing to pay for it coming from north to south. With royal mail there's a limit of 250 pounds insurance re items but you could insure elsewhere or use a courier.. for..

Mick has nailed it. Once it's going north - south there's no VAT liability. If you think that deal is good for us! Imagine how much of an advantage it gives every business in NI versus their GB counterparts! There's a lot of advantage for N.I built in to the protocol.

@James Bond Junior she's doing very well 😁 we are back in with the oncology team on Friday for the pathology results and the staging so fingers crossed the lymph nodes were clear.

i cant believe i didnt know that, so technically then you can still buy your garden furniture and whatever else in the north and get it shipped down no issue.

Yep, no VAT on North/South sales. It's also the only VAT free route for importing UK cars now too, albeit if it's a GB car it needs to be in NI for 6 months before importation here.

I think you go that wrong. The car will have had to have been registered in NI before Brexit became official (01/01/2021) for it to be able to be imported here with no VAT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement