Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kenobi is one of the worst pieces of ****, film or TV, I’ve seen in a while. Shockingly shoddy stuff. Looks appalling for a big budget production, and the writing feels like a first draft. Perhaps my least favourite piece of ‘core’ Star Wars media tbh, and made even the risible Rise of Skywalker look competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

At one stage after what JJ Abrahms did to both Star Wars and Star Trek I wondered how did he sleep at night. That McBain quote of 'On a pile of money with many beautiful women' came to mind though :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They're all shite compared to the 90s pc games.

Dark Forces was so much fun seeing all new star wars locations. Well maybe not the sewer level.

But then there's XWing. A game where you start as a low level xwing pilot enforcing the laws of the empire by chasing low level smugglers. Basically and intergalactic customs agent. And it was fascinatingly mundane. Even when the story got more serious it's all about the inner power struggles of the empire.

I guess the mandalorian gets into that sort of territory but boba Fett and obi wan try to be something bigger and miss badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

What was the 3rd person game with Kyle Katarn...was it Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight or something? That was a very enjoyable game I remember, and then the Jedi Academy sequel good too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

X-Wing, Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance were all superb.

I never enjoyed the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games, felt there were better non-Star Wars titles out there that did the 1st person thing.

I am that guy who loved Republic Commando on release but, having bought the game again on the Switch, the old-hat control scheme makes it very hard to love now, and the visuals look terrible compared to todays games.

As for Kenobi, the first couple of episodes were slow but I really enjoyed the second half, and it was no where near as poor as the non-Mandalorian episodes of BoBF, Christ that was awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭briany

Looking at the prices of Gameboy carts on Ebay right now, jaysus. Feeling a bit smug that I managed to assemble a decent little collection before COVID caused prices to inflate. If the value of Mole Mania goes up any more, I may just sell my copy and retire to Monaco...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That was the Jedi knight series of games. I loved the first Jedi knight but it's gotten quite old. It was an early enough true 3D fps, one of the first that supported 3D cards and it's sprawling level design and jank hold it back.

The sequels were developed by raven and are typical raven games, competent but never anything more than competent.

I finished the first dark Forces game again a few months ago. PC is the only way to play it. It's a remarkable games, the game is 2.5D but the engine is halfway between doom and duke 3D. The level design is exceptional and it's got bags of atmosphere. I still feel it holds up.... Well except for the second level in the sewer which is a pain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I really liked the games that came out in parallel with the Doom/Quake titles Heretic/Hexen/Hexen II/Heretic II games.

I'm pretty sure I never completed them though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,160 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Jedi Outcast with the dismemberment enabled was a fun diversion back in the day. Duels became far more interesting with one hit kills.

Of course, 'modern' Star Wars has shown us that lightsabers are no more than ineffective clubs whereby even being stabbed with one is merely a flesh wound.

Heretic is fine but it's like a less fun doom. I loved Hexen, it was kind of metroidvania-ish but there was a massive amount of wandering empty levels as you couldn't find that one switch to open the next area. Not played Hexen 2 or Heretic 2. I hear Heretic 2 is meant to be amazing but it was a massive flop and is now no longer available to purchase anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I got quake 2 with my first pc and to this day it's one of my favourite fps games.

Found it hard to go back to the likes of hexen until I was that bit older. Blood is one thats definitely up there with the best imo

I loved Quake 2 at the time but even then it felt a bit off in single player. I couldn't go back to it now and much prefer how Quake 1 plays. Quake 2 multiple however is legendary. The Edge is one of the best multiplayer maps of all time. Hours of my childhood wasted playing The Edge on my friends local LAN.

Blood for me is definitely the best of the Build Engine games and one of the best FPS of all time. Used to think Shadow Warrior was better but going back to it I can see I was wrong and was shocked by the racism in Shadow Warrior which was quaint at the time. The 90's can be a bit shocking looking back when you see the racism and Misogyny that was just taken for granted.

I always considered Quake 2 to be my guilty pleasure, because I loved the single player campaign and everyone seemed so hung up on multi-player shenanigans.

Quake 2 came out at an awkward time for FPS games when they were moving away from the three key card maze levels and adding narrative. That type of gameplay would be codified with Half Life but that game makes everything in that awkward phase seem dated and old. It did have some good ideas like the hub level design and some cool at the time, janky now enemy behaviour.

I do remember the Quake 2 advert going on about the enemy AI and how it would hunt you down and then the game comes out and they just run at you mindlessly and duck the occasional projectile. Even then it wasn't convincing.

It was a strange thing, Quake II came out on the PS and the N64, with the former being more like the PC version and the latter consisting of entirely new levels.

But Quake itself came to the N64 and Saturn, and not the PS.

I had the PS1 version of Quake 2. It was a technical marvel. Despite having a LAN it would get regular 4 player play although I would wipe the floor with everyone because I was the only one that would use the Dual Analogue controls. It was strange as they would wipe the floor with me on PC and were big Mouse and WASD players.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If I remember correctly, Quake 2 was the first PC game I ever saw that used a GPU with 3D running at a high frame rate, I'd a friend who's folks spoiled the **** out of him with new PCs and played the hell out of it. The smoothness of the frame rate always stuck with me, just felt so real compared to what my consoles were doing.

Yeah the difference between that and Half Life are staggering. I booted up the RTX Quake 2 mod with all the raytracing to test out a new card I got recently and it's amazing how of it's generation it feels. It's basically Doom/Quake 1 gameplay with polygons.

The PS1 port was pretty impressive alright. I only ever had it on a demo but found it and Alien Resurrection to almost be next gen with their twin stick controls.

I had GLQuake on my first PC, very smooth using the early 3D accelerator

I had a power vr2. Much better than a 3Dfx and kicked ass in direct 3D but carmack sticking to gl meant that it took forever for power VR patches to come for quake engine games and when they did they didn't look or run nearly as well. And support dried up after quake 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Picked up an Xbox 360 copy of Quake 2 there at Comic Con, came with a free copy of Quake 4. Pity they're not on the BC list.

• Advertisement

The game game that runs are 4K downsampled? or is it just 1080p?

Quake 2 is 1080p on the 360, surprising for a free bonus game with a launch title(though it was also a bonus, including the mission packs, with Quake 4 on PC too). The Xbox 360 didn't even support 1080p rendering when it was released.

Quake 4 is in 720p and neither can be played on a One or Series console.

I'd say there is a reasonable chance of a Quake 2 remaster coming out by the end of the month to coinside with Quakecon seeing as Sonic Mayhem had to fish out the masters for the soundtrack recently.

Apparently, and as it happens, a remaster of Quake 4 is currently being trialed on PC via their Xbox Live service.

Looks like a prep for a larger re-release over various formats, perhaps Quake II might make the leap as well!

It was a year ago when they dropped Quake for the Switch and other current-gen consoles, so this might be a repeat, and announced at QuakeCon coming up on the 18th of this month.

Never finished Quake 4 but it was the same cromulent release from Raven. I was enjoying it and there's not really games like that anymore so I'd definitely be up for a remaster of that game.

I never played the Quake 2 expansion either so a release of that would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

The only time I even saw Quake 2 was when a cousin got it with a PC for Christmas. He wouldn’t give me a go, the brat!

They just added a trial for Return to Castle Wolfenstein to the Xbox Insider program last week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Haha! Yeah I've so many memories of watching people play games when I was younger as they wouldn't bloody give me a go, the original Twitch :pac:

I wonder if that game holds up. I really enjoyed the first half of the game. The second half with the uber soldats was utter **** but I was probably playing on hard at the time and made it frustrating on myself.

Used to go to a babysitter during the summer when my parents couldn't look after us (imagine having two working parents!!!) and their son had a master system and would never give us a go of it.

I did have one friend that would rather sit and watch me play games but I'd always offer to give them a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Presumably he had to play with the iffy third party controller or the on its way out official one?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Advertisement