Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

so the most successful clay court player ever has won 1 title there in the last 8 years where he has won 3 each in both Rome and Monte Carlo in the same timeframe

where Federer who has never one a single clay court masters in Rome or Monte Carlo has won multiple titles on the clay at Madrid

but there's nothing much different about it - sure!

it's the clay court masters where players who could never come close to Nadal at Roland Garros or rarely at Rome or Monte Carlo have been able to beat him and they have had more success there

2021 for Alcaraz you're quoting - that's quite funny given that Alcaraz only made his breakout in Autumn 2021 near the end of the season and obviously really came on in 2022 - expecting that to be taken seriously as a point is a bit rich

and taking 2022 ->

hard court win-rate = 87.5 %

clay-court win-rate = 86.2 % (including "Madrid")

Also Alcaraz's ELO rating is also higher on hard-court than on clay-court (ELO ratings give credit for the ELO strength of opponents)

http://tennisabstract.com/reports/atp_elo_ratings.html

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Does anyone find watching the tennis on amazon prime tough especially on the outside courts where the camera angle is awful and there is no commentary. The main courts seems to be fine except for the music blaring out every change over.

Amazon prime don't play the music at the venues and they can't have commentary for every minor match in a joint ATP 500 / WTA 250 tournament really which is both a male and female event so double the amount of matches.

I'm guessing the cameras may be automated and / or fixed for the outside courts also to save on personnel.

Considering that it's included with Amazon Prime and covers a lot of tournaments AND has the replays available also I don't have too many complaints - some on the commentary side occasionally depending on who is rostered lol

Ah I know amazon are not responsible for the music but it is annoying, well for me anyway and it gets worse as the day goes on.

I'm not to bothered by the lack of commentary more on the camera angle on the courts being too low so it can be a struggle to see the ball. It was especially bad for the evans/Edmonds match the other day. In saying that the match was crap.

Raducanu doing her best to lose this set

• Advertisement

the music doesn't add to the viewing experience really on small courts - it's not as bad in the bigger stadium courts like at the US Open where the sound doesn't come across as oppressive and there are enough people there in the crowd to pick out some amusing dancers and posers on the tiered levels

First time Raducanu has managed 2 wins in a tournament on an outdoor hardcourt since the US Open last year but 50 Unforced Errors from her in just 2 sets - not going to get too far with that tbh.

But how much is that down to the heat? I have been reading that a lot of the players are saying it is just a matter of surviving out there and getting through. Looking at the weather for Washington today and it will be 33 degrees and 9£% humidity, don't know how anyone can play in that. I was in California last month and it was 35 or so there and all anyone was doing was getting into the shade or indoors.

I'm sure that the heat doesn't help but Samsonova who is the next opponent was also playing in the heat and didn't hit anything like that (match 20 minutes shorter)

if Raducanu manages to win would be the first time since September 2021 at any tournament to get 3 wins

She hasn't had a good year and it could get worse if she doesn't defend the points won at the US Open. I believe she could suffer the biggest drop in rankings in the history of the WTA. Might be a good thing for her though, who is her coach now? I seen Jeremy Bates was with Katie Boulter in San Jose.

• Advertisement

Nearly a year without 3 wins in a tournament now

Wait a year wasn't it?

Lost the first set despite the opponent hitting 36 unforced errors which is a bit bad to say the least

33 winners vs 8 also tells the story on lack of weapons - just a limited game

I don't remotely see the drive of personality there either to really do the utmost either on court or off.

Look she has a life of fortune and comfort out of it and probably a cushty bbc commentary job down the line where she will be introduced at every commentary session as "grand slam champion Emma Raducanu" - hardly a bad result and something that quite a few more resilient and talented players will never see.

Kyrgios into the Citi open final. Bit of a mess in the mens doubles. Kyrgios and Sock are at the semi final stage. There is suppose to be a meeting by the organisers to discuss what to do especially with Kyrgios in the final.

Kyrgios takes the Washington ATP 500 (as well as the doubles), not dropping a single singles service game on the way but this week's National Bank masters 1000 in Montreal should be a lot more interesting

He's on course to play Medvedev in the second round as Kyrgios is not ranked highly (didn't play the clay events and missed Wimbledon points, means he is 1000 points lower than would be -apparently would be 10 in the ATP race otherwise) which could be a good match and the casual drama hounds will no doubt be in attendance also although many less randomers will be watching than at Wimbledon

Can Kyrgios keep a melt-down at bay or is it just a matter of time?

Top half of the draw looks tougher in general

On the other side an Alcaraz (seeded 2)/ Sinner semi final rematch?

Alcaraz if he has his eyes set on a year-end number 1 chance needs to be looking to take good points here and next week

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Serena has given an interview with Vogue today announcing that the "countdown has begun" to her retirement, so a reasonable assumption that the US Open will likely be her last tournament. I kinda washed my hands of Serena after the US Open 2018 debacle, but women's tennis will be sorely lacking without her.

Ostapenko's circus-worthy-attire outfits have been a recent "eye-catching" feature on the WTA tour.

but looks like she has just gone and out-done herself with the latest Toronto "married-with-children" Peggy Bundy leopard-print number!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Is it just me, or does she look woefully out of shape for a professional athlete? Or maybe, as they say in the fashion world, those outfits do nothing for her...

Careful now.

you're not allowed to point out the obvious apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Ha, I do recall someone taking offence (on behalf of others as is always the case) on this topic before. I'll leave it there.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with pointing out that players are out of shape, as long as the personal jibes are being kept out of it.

The outfits are horrific though, apparently she designs some of them herself 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Watching Murray against Fritz here , jesus there is so much between them. Why is he still out their on the tour , hes loaded , hes got young kids I think , hes a metal hip and virtually no chance of proper success again. Dont get it at all.

He obviously still likes tennis, I'm guessing? Think he's earned the right to retire on his own terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭josip

A few years ago after a very big work night out and most people hadn't bothered coming in I noticed 'R' in work at his desk struggling with a hangover. I asked him why didn't he stay at home like everyone else. He slowly turned to me and said, "What makes you think it would be better at home?"

Don't care for Murray's ranting on court these days but at least he cares which is to be admired even if he's a little deluded about being as effective as he once was.

Medvedev - Kyrgios on "from 6pm" Irish time today - meaning could be up to 90 minutes later depending on previous matches I would guess

Raducanu out to the dainty but hard-hitting Giorgi in 2 sets (WTA 29 even if she did win there last year, not the favourite by any means for the tournament at 50/1), not exactly fighting for the tie-break as it went 0-7, hitting a grand total of 3 winners in the entire match and the second set went 2-6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭dublin49

I think a lot of professional Sports people write cheques against their future well being to keep playing that they will ultimately regret when payment is due.

With regard to Murray in particular he probably feels he was cheated out of 2 /3 years of a normal career so he is frantically trying to regain those years but it won't happen.He actually looks like he has a bad hip when walking ,the only saving grace for him now unlike Nadal is he does not go very far into tournaments anymore.

Murray is Scottish (not a big spender lol) and is estimated to be worth at least $100 million from multiple sources and up to $150 million plus, including owning a 5-star hotel up in Scotland

He doesn't need the money

He just has the genuine desire to play - coupled with a bit of delusion driving it also

I like murray, i just feel hes destroying bis body for absolutely no reason at this stage. If he still likes tennis he can still play but theres no point him playing lads like Fritz. But yeah obviously he can do what he wants. He is now shite though.

Yeah looks he can do what he wants but i do think its delusion driving it at this stage. Could try win a few doubles comps with his brother.

• Advertisement

Murray hasn't been past even the third round of either a Masters 1000 or a Grand Slam in over 5 years but still goes on about challenging in them

So as I said I admire the hunger to keep competing (he will be retired a long number of years) but the delusion is there for sure

He's still capable of beating the odd Top 20 player but hasn't been capable of stringing enough wins together to get into the latter stages of big tournaments

Advertisement