Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,709 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Eirgrid have said this does not mean interrupted supply for customers.

Anyway no one is claiming power blackouts will lead to protests. It's blackouts on top of all the other sht show stuff surrounding the UK government that will do it.

Well Brexit was always about the return to the completely misremembered "good old days".

Maybe they can get the IMF in again and fell that warm fuzzy nostalgia.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

82% That's astonishing. When we've already read of pensioners riding the bus all day 'cos they can't afford to heat the house, what does a bump of that magnitude do for those already on the ragged edge?

I'd almost feel sorry for any PM inheriting that encroaching humanitarian disaster... then remember it's Liz Truss.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,499 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It does seem like the 'perfect storm'. But it all dates back to Brexit, plus the 2019 General Election - it can hardly be a coincidence that the whole economy has spiralled out of control on the watch of the worst PM and worst government (and worst media) in UK history.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think that the premise that Murdoch & Co are in control is highly debateable. At best, their anointed candidate gets a mid-forties result in elections. Hardly a controlling share in a functioning electoral system.

If we accept the premise, then it's the standard hubris that comes from winning all the time. They over-reach and then their answer to climate change, the cost of living crisis, covid et al is that Last Night at the Poms should include Land of Hope and Glory.

They don't want to help. Conservatism exists to keep people in their place as deemed by the upper caste. The bootstrap narrative is part of this. Everyone wealthy is there because they deserve it. Same for the poor.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭blackwhite

France has 5 times more nuclear reactors than the UK, producing over 70% of their electricity needs.

The UK's nuclear share is less than 20% and they've been reducing their nuclear capacity since the 90s.

Whilst the decision to reduce the nuclear generating capacity can't be laid solely at the Conservatives, Brexit is placing significantly more challenges in front of their nuclear-generating capabilities - in particular regarding accessing nuclear fuel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

At least the UK is making plans for worst case scenario unlike the merely words from Eirgrid.

The UK is in full control of its economy, unlike the euro which is hampered by the debt ridden Italians.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Her face when the market decides to burn down billionaires' properties will indeed be a sight to behold. I've tried to give right wing thought a fair hearing but it's succumbed to some form of toxic cultural dementia and can't articulate anything beyond horrible slogans.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Surely Trump, Covid, Brexit and the conflict in Ukraine have highlighted the fact that no nation is in full control of anything.

Genealogy Forum Mod

They better hope it's not Land of Hope and Glory played by miners and conducted by Giuseppe Conlon 😁

Well it highlighted that the UK and US are not in full control of their senses. Only Ukraine shows anything about the rest of us

• Advertisement

It's the notion of full control which I'm questioning.

Despite what the ideologues behind Brexit would have you believe no country is immune from external influence.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

With Brexit and the independent Bank of England, the UK are not as exposed to the Ukraine war as Ireland is. They do not have to participate in EU gas quotas for example.

Ireland's gas comes from the North Sea via the UK. If gas shortages bite, there's nothing stopping the UK switching off the supply to Ireland and could say its due to "maintenance". Who's to stop them?

Figuratively speaking no country is an island and turning off the tap in the manner you describe would no doubt have some undesirable consequences for the UK.

Post edited by Hermy on

Genealogy Forum Mod

🤣🤣🤣 They certainly look far less exposed.

BTW Ireland owns some of the UKs gas pipes and interconnectors. So we can do a fair bit of "maintenance" to the UK infrastructure too. And don't forget if the UK want to play games our EU friends in Germany and France own an absolute ton of their trains and electricity companies. Privatisation is such a wonderful thing 😝

The "independent" Bank of England is also very exposed to Russian money.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Quote:They do not have to participate in EU gas quotas for example.

Well neither do we because we are outside the EU quotas. If the UK (read England) cuts off gas supplies to Ireland, they cut them off to NI, which, if you recall, is part of the UK. I suppose that would accelerate a United Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

They've shown time and again they don't give two fúcks for the North, including what Unionists think. They know whatever complaining they do, they'll do as they're told, and the woes would be blamed on the EU or Sinn Fein or 'someone else'. Completely irrational, but there we go.

I think Truss, who looks a certainty to win is actually far more stupid than any of those who've gone before her and liable to do anything. In particular anything to make her look 'strong' so she can continue her Thatcher cosplaying.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IDS confirms that the government aren't in a position to assist the most vulnerable from the cost of living crisis because they haven't yet worked out who to help...

Truss (remainer) now claiming Sunak (Brexiter) actively "frustrated government attempts to release the benefits of Brexit"

Ffs as if the benefits are in a box you can pop open.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think that Brexit is the Pandora's box of British politics, and that the referendum opened it.

All that remained in Pandora's box after all the evil escaped was hope.

All that is left of the Brexit box is that some hope might Remain - oops, should not have said Remain. I think the truth is that even hope is no more for Brexit - even that ship has now sailed. The UK Gov has completely given up - even on taking back control, or finding the sunlit upland with unicorns running wild. Of course, it is the EU's fault, trying to punish the UK for leaving.

Perhaps finding something of a cure for the Monkeypox might garner a bit of respite - or for the polio, or for the TB, or - I am sure they will think of something.

A bit off topic but Monkeypox is not Covid. Poxviruses are huge, immensely complex DNA-based viruses with a relatively small capacity to mutate. In addition, there is already a vaccine available for Variola which offers some protection against Monkeypox. Covid was a global problem because of its mortality, morbidity and its infectiousness combined. These factors threatened to overwhelm healthcare systems hence the lockdowns. Monkeypox poses no such threat and therefore is a poor barrel for a Tory government to use for easy fish.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

I though that citing Monkeypox* was a better barrel to fire at the Tories because it sounds so awful and matches their profile so well. It would be not beyond them to invent an already cure and claim it for themselves.

*I am aware it is not Covid, but Covid is so yesterday, I thought a pox would be more colorful language to tar them with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Exacerbated by brexit, these are stories of destitution, and criminal negligence. If Britain avoids wholesale riots and violence on the streets it'll be a minor miracle.

"I lost my job a few years ago, after becoming disabled, and now am only receiving PIP and Contribution-Based ESA, alongside my wife's wages from her part-time supermarket job."

He said he faces arrears of £1,800 for his electric bill, £600 for his water bill and £70 for his gas bill.

"We eat one meal each day.

"Most of the lightbulbs have been removed. My house is in a very poor state of repair. My mortgage ended two years ago, but we had a shortfall of around £15,000 so we are still trying to pay that.

"I only qualify for the £150 PIP payment, and the £400 energy bills help. I do not qualify for any other help. This winter we will not be able to turn the heating on and, with my poor health, I do not expect to be alive in the spring.

That Boris Johnson chooses to sit back and idle out his days as PM is the scandalous icing on a cake of disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

More whataboutery. I don't recall Michael Martin or Leo Varadkar hosting Abba parties while tens of thousands of people died.

H. H. Asquith

Awful stuff. You should make a thread about it. This is the UK discussion thread, related to a country going through a more profound instance of these global crises, exacerbated by policies chosen by the government, and the self-sabotage of the 2016 referendum.

Not that you don't know that. You obviously just want to score points and whatabout.

Problem is,only the anti British brigade thinks this is a problem exclusive to the UK and don`t like that being pointed out.

I fully agree that johnson is beneath contempt.

Except nobody said that. It's the standard little Englander narrative that pops up here from time to time.

H. H. Asquith

I would`nt attempt to defend brexit(for example) but question why posters pointing out energy poverty in the UK object to me pointing out this is happening everywhere as a result of events in Ukraine-how is that standard little englander narrative?

I never said that it's exclusive. And quit the "anti British" polemic as a convenience to affect superiority, it has been done before.

Everywhere is experiencing energy issues, Britain's is especially acute and pointed for a country that's in the G7, supposedly a top tier economy; and helmed by a noted charlatan and incompetent - one whose response to OAPs riding the buses to avoid heating their home, was to pat himself on the back for introducing the buss pass.

• Advertisement

Posters like you have a collection of 27 countries to pick from for your pathetic whataboutery. As long as one country in the EU is experiencing what the UK is experiencing, it simply doesn't matter anymore and it gets reduced to worthless garbage like "shock horror here is a link of it happening somewhere else".

Is it any wonder the UK is such a mess when its biggest fanboys compare it favourably to the worst examples they can find.

Advertisement