Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportives 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Looks to be a few cheeky climbs alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

that's one tough cycle, did it 6 years back - wrecked for a week afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭this.lad

I did the 120k (or whatever length close to this it is) a few times and there's plenty of good climbing in that before you add an extra 40km. I have entered the 160 this year, naturally.

Whatever about the climbing, the organisation, marshalling and food were top class every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spudpicker2022

it's very well run event. food stops are generous. it's a challenging sportive with 4 steep climbs. for the rest of the circuit, if you are in a good group there is a good chance the group will remain together and work together. first 40km can be very fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Cheers, sounds good!

Signed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Anyone doing the Ring of Kerry this year? Did it in 2017 with about 0 miles on the bike done. Got around ok with no snags, so going at it again this year. Though at least have some miles in the legs this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A blatant plug for our Club Sportive this coming Sunday (26 June). The modestly named Two County Challenge has a choice of two routes from Swords that venture into the wilds of East Meath. 70km and 400m of up or 120km and 1,060m.

Entry (€30) is online only via the Eventmaster link at https://swordscc.com/touring/two-county-challenge as are maps of both routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭smileyme1984

@arsebiscuits82 Ya I’m going to chance it again this year. Due to bike issues and finding a new one I had 6 weeks for training in the end. Last 2 weeks I’ve been out with Covid. Longest spin has been 75km and hoping to get an hour in this evening just to see how the body feels.

Basically hoping to go and enjoy the day and get around. Last time managed to get around under 7 hours so was delighted. This year it’s just get around. I’m by no means fit and need to lose 2st (just turned 38) so going to go enjoy the day and get back on the bike in general for health and fitness.

I have a few long term goals for doing an Audax or even the Mayo Ultra 2/300km in the next year so have to start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Best of luck with it. I did it in 7:12 the last time. To be honest I'll be happy to even match that if I can go sub 7 I'll be delighted. For me it's about enjoying the day and staying out of the red as much as possible!

Turned the big 40 this year and wanted something to challenge me and get me back in the saddle.

Working in construction so I'm out the door by 6am and lucky if I'm home before 7pm. So by Friday evening I'm exhausted. Saturday is my day to sleep in and with the kids anything more than 2 hours on the bike at a time is a bonus!

So the plan is to just tip around it really to Kenmare and see how it goes over Molls! Weather not looking as bad as it was earlier this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭smileyme1984

Ya similar approach to it! There to enjoy it and get round… I always think to myself It’s not a race and if I just drop it into a low gear and pedal away up Moll’s at my own pace I’ll be fine!

Big improvement on the forecast front alright so hope it stays that way!

Im actually looking forward to it more this year than the last time as had set the 7hours as a target for myself and using this year to kickstart things!

What ever happens enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I've just seen on Facebook z lady who has just tested positive for Covid has a ring if kerry entry going free.

Nothing to do with me, she is Dublin based, might suit someone around here.

She posted it in a freecyvle group I'm in.

Her page is here(remove the space between the dot and facebook)

https://www. facebook.com/jessica.r.lavery

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I'm doing it, havent done over 100k since April, but am doing it with a friend who is a casual enough cyclist so will just go around together. Looks like it will be wet and windy though, so hopefully will just hide in a big group going westwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Re the Tour de Kilkenny, Please note it is online entry only.

Unlike other years, entries will not be taken on the day.

Date is July 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'm wrecked after the ring of Clare, not a very tough sportive on paper but the heat and relentless undulations took it's toll.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Had a ball of a time doing the Ring of Clare, but last 50km or so really kicked the sh1te out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Just a reminder on this one that registration closes this Sunday. Cost is 40 euro and all proceeds go to charity. Come and join the fun!

http://tourdekilkenny.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Just signed up for Tour de Kilkenny 160. Looking forward to Woodstock and Kilmanagh 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

I spotted chap at 6.20 on the morning of the Ring of Kerry wearing one of my Irish Motor Neurone Disease jerseys. I didnt see him after that as the rain had everyone in jackets. Was it anyone in here.

Ive signed up for Tour De Kilkenny 160k, and Tour of Kildare 110k, then in Sept, Reservoir Cogs 125, Beara 160k, Blackstairs 140k and Wicklow 100k that was postponed from May.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

Registration extended to Thursday 28th midnight. No cash entries on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Tour de Kilkenny lived up to its reputation once again. Very well organised and well supported. We did the 120k, nice route with a couple of tough climbs. Huge crowd in the lead group blew apart during the climb out of graiguenamanagh. Got in with a group of ten or so from there and finished with a 33kph avg. lovely spread in the rugby club afterwards!

edit: just read about the cyclist involved in an accident near gowran. Hopefully he’s ok. Thoughts with him, his family and the marble city cycle club.

Post edited by Gavlor on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 mone

For anyone interested in a Sportive in Co. Tipperary, Upperchurch Drombane Cycling Club have an event coming up on Sunday 21st August.

60km & 100km routes

€25 entry fee, and proceeds are heading to the local St Vincent De Paul branch this year.

The routes are mainly quite secondary roads around Mid -West Tipperary....crossing into Limerick for a few miles!

Full details are up on the website http://www.udcc.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Anyone here in Naas CC? 2 of us were going to sign up for the Tour of Kildare today, and see that the 110k route sold out yesterday! Anyone selling spots, or can we signup for the 65k route and just plough on through the 110k?

EDIT: NVM, got someone from Naas on FB

Post edited by retalivity on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm surprised that they are openly advertising that they will take entries on the day. I think that's against post Covid Cycling Ireland regulations whereby all entries must be made on line and no cash accepted.

Not sure that’s a thing any more. I paid for my local sportive a few weeks ago in cash on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭dahat

100% correct. All CI approved events are pre entry only these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Brilliant part of country to ride a bike, but really really lumpy.

Would ye ever consider a gravel event? Between lovely boreens, forestry and wind farms over a pretty big area it looks like an area with massive potential.

From Clonmel I only managed a few jaunts up and back but was struck by its potential; and usually finished spin in a heap of course

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

Agreed. I did the Grass Routes Gran Fondo last year (I think you might have done it too?) - one of the most interesting sportive's I've ever done (and I've done quite a few) - it's such a shame they weren't able to keep it going (the announcement seemed to come totally out of the blue) - for a free it event it was great, but I'd have happily paid to take part in future editions. Still, it gives me some inspiration for potential routes the next time I'm down in that neck of the woods.

Post edited by AxleAddict on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Grass Routes Gran Fondo was a brilliant event, including the locals who from what I saw were supportive of the event (rather than the usual giving out). Promised myself I'd go back either cycling or walking, but hasn't happened yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

The area here is just north of GR country, but it's all great.

I was going to ride it but couldn't face putting bike in car so ride this instead

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36808937

So lovely little roads on it

Although Keeper's hill was a little bit ambitious for a rim brake road bike 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

Indeed - had some encouragement from both individuals and groups of people at various times during the route.

Advertisement