Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prey aka Predator 5 (Dan Trachtenberg)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,078 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That's why they come back... they like a challenge :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,320 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

In hindsight the bear scene was the most "fck yeah!" moment in the film, a Predator going toe to toe and military pressing a bear was brilliant.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Did you find it a bit ridiculous the way he knocked the bear out with one punch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

And then proceeded to get his ass handed to him by a 5 feet tall girl who looks like the heaviest thing she's ever lifted is a frappucino.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,690 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

David beat Goliath!? Christ, never saw that one coming!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sequel coming? This has been a smash hit for Hulu; again. Why wasn't it a cinema release? Ok maybe said audiences wouldn't have followed the film into cinema screenings but clearly there has been an appetite and good word of mouth

20th Century Studios said Tuesday that its Predator spinoff Prey has notched the No. 1 premiere on Hulu to date across all of the streamer’s films and television series. The film also registered as the most-watched premiere on Star+ in Latin America and Disney+ under the Star Banner in all other territories, based on hours watched in the first three days of its release. Specific stats as to its viewership have not been disclosed

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Predator in Antarctica oh that’s kind of been done with The Thing.

Predator in Al Capone’s Chicago maybe.

Predator versus Cloverfield alien.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Handy thing about historical Predator sequels is you only need raid the vast costume department in your studio to keep costs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Predator versus.....

DINOSAUR!!! Think about it. No dialogue. Dinosaurs are cold-blooded. No technology. (Spoiler, as the predator loses at the end he says (In alien) "Well screw you guys, shake THIS sh*t off" and then we see an asteroid heading for earth).

You heard it here first, folks (And don't you wish you didn't...)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I dont remember her fighting the predator hand to hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I thought the lead was great but wasted by an unrealistic and stupid script that did not fit her physicality. It was really disrespectful to American Indian culture and historically anachronistic. While the cinematography was brilliant the many logic gaps (e.g. rope throwing axe) ruined it for me. Maybe I'm too old.

They wasted the chance to do some cool traps at the end. A few spikes on the tree bark and then completely reliant on the predator using a mini missile to finish her off which it would be unlikely for it to do as surely it'd want the person who cut off his arm as a trophy.

Really disappointing storyline with some good action sequences. The fact that they wasted a good opportunity with a very capable and likable lead frustrates me more, 2/10

I dont know what nerd science would come up with but based on how he overhead pressed the bear he would be ~ X10 times stronger than a human male so I guess there would be some power in the punch.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Predator in the Antarctica already happened in AVP 1. incidentally that's the most financially successful Predator film to date.

As for the girl going hand to hand with the alien. Yeah , that happened! The director shot the scene using multiple fast cut edits to hide the absurdity of it. To pull the wool over the viewers eyes so to speak. Its not even clear if Naru dismembered its arm herself or made Predy chop off his own arm. It was edited down to a 'blink and you'll miss it' moment. So you're not meant to think about it , just accept it somehow had its arm hacked off and move on.

We've seen Danny Glover hack an arm off before , but that was on a defenceless Predator dangling off the side of a skyscraper. Hacking off a Predator arm on ground level in close quarters combat is something only the xenomorphs were capable of.

Amazingly that's not as ludicrous as what would happen next , the tooth scene 😅 To show Naru pull the tooth-claw out of a bears mouth and plunge it into its head would be a bit silly we can all agree. . But do it to a Predator and that's totally believable. No May Sue here. Just a normal person hacking Predy into bits and pieces with her bare hands 🤦‍♂️😆

What is a Mary Sue anyway. Lots of comments about what one isn't. But none about what one is.

The first two movies presented the hero's as butch , gung-ho , unstoppable forces of nature. By the end of the first they were all obliterated expect Arnie. He ended the film as a shell-shocked , quivering wreck. A hollow shell of what he once was. Same goes for Glover.

Naru goes to the tribe as if she returned from the funfair with a giant teddy bear she won from the carny. A male lead I think would have been expected to die from injuries sustained in battle. Its implied Adrian Brody was slain at the end of Predators , there certainly was no happy ending for him.

So what he know about a Mary Sue if that they can't be harmed and they certainly can't meet death. So while she's nowhere near a Michael Burnham , there's still Mary Sue qualities not just to her character , but to the films structure as well. Plot armour , plot contrivances and a stupid dumb Predator who may or may not have chopped his own arm off , all contribute in enabling her succeed against massive odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,566 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭flasher0030

People are losing the run of themselves on here. Picking out what action points are "not possible" in a Predator film, whilst ignoring the fact that it is about some alien type beast coming to Earth on a spaceship with powers that can make it almost invisible and has more devices on its armor than knight rider, MacGyver, and Inspector Gadget put together.

That's a different kind of possible, the scifi angle of what an advanced alien species could be capable of.

The humans are just meant to be human.

Who says? Action cinema basically exists to take human capability or endurance and stretch it out - sometimes to breaking point depending on the tone of the series. Where even franchises that strive for "realism" like Mission Impossible still involving death-defying stunts barely believable at times. John McClane should have died 10 times over; while Fast & Furious has simply dispensed with normal physics altogether, its "humans" as robust as superheroes by now, male or female. And even then they pale against someone like Stephen Chow's entire filmography.

Either one buys into the film, or one doesn't and ultimately it's a matter of taste of course. But if Basic Storytelling devices are now to be dissected for the sake of ... well, tedious buzzwords that have lost all meaning - the conversation is going a bit bananas. Oh noes, a lead character didn't die from events or injuries that might have killed other, non-named characters? Like, welcome to Most Fiction Ever?

I actually quite liked how the film got to a point where its lead character, someone established as a quick learner who can read things organically, could fight the Predator; 'cos while Naru's stature and understanding rose, the Predator's capabilities dropped - so the climactic battle happened on an even keel. Certainly if they fought in the First Act, Naru would have been dead in seconds. The movie's course charted that path, without cheating, or conveniences beyond shít that makes the movie happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

Turned it off 3/4 of the way through. Absolute garbage.

Well says me and multiple other posters on the thread. You can only suspend disbelief so far before you lose it. Human capabilities can be stretched but there is an elastic there. It can only be stretched so far. The range for Predator is much greater than the range of an 18th century human.

I enjoyed the film, doesn't mean I can't still have quibbles about it.

My main point is that expectations of what an alien can do and what a human can do are different. Just because there is a sci-fi element to the alien doesn't mean suddenly anything goes for the human. You implicitly set those expectations yourself by saying you thought Naru's development was believable for a human of the time. I think there were a couple of jumps too many, and for example her combat skills versus the French trappers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Rambo has 490 confirmed kills in the numerous movies, but that's okay I guess. Gods forbid a trained hunter is able to take down after it's been shot, stabbed, mauled, cut open and wounded numerous times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

TBH, i find that comment deeply disrespectful to the training and combat capability of green berets, and only serves to take from the achievements of a veteran MAN, who had overcome no less that traumatic PTSD and persecution by small town sheriffs.

😜

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Like, I really am just baffled by the complaints of wokeness and lack of realism or whatever.

By any means, Prey is a formulaic action movie. Protagonist finds themselves in dangerous position, unknown alien/monster/demon/axe murderer is killing people off like it's nothing, protagonist has to fight for survival and use their previous skills and knowledge to somehow succeed.

The woke and Mary Sue thing really just seems to stem from the fact it's a woman, and let's be honest about it.

Danny Glover plays the cliche gruff 80's cop who's "sick of this ****" and manages to kill a Predator.

Bruce Willis plays a down and out cop who's "sick of this ****" and manages to take out an entire, trained, terrorist group.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But that automatically begs the question, even if you haven't seen any of the movies, of how he isn't able to blow away any human adversary within a matter of seconds. I think there has to be a credible in-world explanation for this if the movie is to make any internal sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Because he is a Predator, thats the point , he wants to fight hand to hand or as close to that as possible like spears or sticks or there is no thrill in the hunt. The fancy stuff comes out when shít gets real for him.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@Sonics2k Like, I really am just baffled by the complaints of wokeness and lack of realism or whatever.

Really? All you have to do is look at the posters who are crying over the film and it all becomes very clear. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

As was said above , AVP is the highest grossing Predator film to date. Guess what? The lead character was a woman. That film was made because of the massive popularity of the comics , which featured multiple female lead characters. 🙂

There were characters in the AvP movies?

First I heard.

Without googling I defy anyone to give a single detail about them

they missed a gag by not calling the axes choppers

Lance Henriksen as the head of the corporation in the first movie - but that's mostly a legacy thing. Had it been some random actor not connected to the franchise it'd be a blur like the rest of the cast.

• Advertisement

Advertisement