Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Because Hansen has had the better performances this season to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Even O’Gara at his peak, would not have qualified as world class and he was next best. - simply not true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Stockdale and Zebo offer a left boot like Lowe's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Zebo won't make it! He's just not good enough, imo. Stockdale can make it, imo. If he gets back in form. He's certainly capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I am truly shocked that you aren’t able to substantiate that I must say. Shocked to my core.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Not within an arses roar.

Having a good boot doesn't mean they're up there with Lowe. No winger in Ireland is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Stockdale is too weak defensively to get back in for me.

"Arses" roar. That one gave me a laugh.

Stockdale would probably be an absolute weapon in this new all-singing, all-dancing Irish attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

It's passive aggressive posts like this that have turned this place into a graveyard. Lowe was poor in the second test against NZ. His performances so far for Ireland have been inconsistent. Yeah, he has a big left boot and when he turns up he's an excellent player. So what? Baloucoune, Conway and a number of others are similarly excellent when in form and offer various advantages.

Hansen has been very good since his debut and that's coming from someone who was sceptical of his initial selection. He's one of the best footballers we have and is more than capable of playing as a second distributor when he comes in off his wing. As far as I'm concerned he's been in better form than Lowe and if someone is to come in on the wing then they should be replacing Lowe not Hansen, who is performing excellently at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That would depend on how you look at World Class. O’Gara was in the top three outhalves in Europe, as his Lions history would testify. He was never in the top three outhalves in the world. He was a great player but never World Class.

• Advertisement

he arguably was for most of his career, but especially from 2006 - 2008 he was most definitely world class, during which time he was behind carter in terms of the best 10s in the world. rugby world had him as no.2 behind carter going into the 07 rwc, in which he didnt play particularly well in fairness but then again nobody in that irish team did in reality

6N top try scorer in 2007, he even managed to play well for ireland in the 2008 6N despite the team falling to pieces around him

never World Class - sorry but you dont get voted into the ERC dream team for the first 15 years of the heineken cup and not be world class. doubly-so when you get voted the most influential player of that timeframe

sexton has probably closed the arguments between them at this stage in terms of who was better, but that doesnt mean he wasnt world class in his own time

compare him to any of the other tens that were around during his peak (say 2004 - 2011) and only carter was markedly better, but dan carter is dan carter so being second to him isnt exactly an insult. stephen jones had his moments and wilkinson was a better goalkicker, but other than that i dont think any 10 came close to o gara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

He was a good player. Nice pass, great tactical kicker and generally speaking was a clutch kicker. But he couldn’t defend. We used to have to use a backrow to cover him.

He was never the best out half between Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England throughout his career but he was consistently good and had a great backline outside him.

Probably on the same level as Stephen Jones. Would anyone call him world class?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

wilkinson was a better goalkicker

Ah in fairness, Wilkinson was one of the best OHs of the last 20 years, much more than a goal kicker.

are you seriously suggesting dan parks was a better 10? charlie hodgson?

he couldn’t defend - is absolute rubbish. he wasnt an aggressive defender in the way someone like wilkinson was (or sexton is now) but he was.....fine

consistently good and had a great backline outside him. - could say the same about sexton. leinster/ireland dont currently have a superstar in the o driscoll mould but arguably the overall quality of the current backline(s) is much higher than for the majority of o gara's career

i personally think he was a bit on the overrated side tbh, as good as he was at times. his attacking play could be lacking alot of the time and his default option always seemed to be the drop goal even with better options outside of him. not a fan of how he demanded to work alone with dave alred after england fired him, with the other england kickers working separately with jon callard. but either way he was injured for alot of the time o gara was at his peak so i wouldnt count him. he was world class from 00 - 03 (and very good in the 07 rwc too) but that was when o gara was finding his way

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

O ‘Gara would have thrived on the new 50-22 rule. But he didn’t have the wingers in situ to execute a good strategy of pinning back the defensive back 3 and then use the wide-wide plays to expose those gaps.

Still he won two Heinos off pinning in the corner kick and having his forwards convert from the resulting territory. He was always weak defensively which Wilkinson was not. His defence was turned into attack more often than not!

Post edited by Itxa on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Looking back, o'gara strikes me as somebody with top level talents and vision, but lacking the athleticism to maximize it. He lacks the physicality, and explosiveness to put them on the top level. Jones was always rated ahead of him, largely n part because he did have the physicality to play at that elite level imo.

He was third choice ten for all three lions tours he went on. With only two caps from the bench over the three tours. So therefore he was only the third best outhalf in the British Isles, over his career. If he was world class. That would not be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Stanley 1

Dave Alred was a genius at what he does, Sexton continued to use him, although I believe in a private capacity before Alred switched to golf.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd disagree slightly with this stephen, as it's essentially judging him once every four years. It's too infrequent a sample, as form fluctuates. It's akin to judging Ireland's achievements only from their RWC performance, which I think is too narrow. And you only have to look at Sexton missing the last tour to see it can be down to the whims of the coach too.

As far as I recall, he was exceptional around 2006 and early 2007. He scored 82 points in the '07 6 Nations, a total that's only been bettered once in 2001 by Johnny Wilkinson, for example. I'm sure I would've called him world class around then.

Final point is that the fact O'Gara was on 3 Lions tours speaks to his consistency and longevity. None of the other 10's that toured with him at any stage made 3 Lions tours.

I am not sure it’s really the same as world cups though I do get compassion. O’Gara went on three tours at the beginning, middle and towards the end of his career. At no point was he considered ahead of the other two options. Form can fluctuate but the level of selection remains consistent.

Yes his best form of his career might have come between tours. So that would factor but there’s no way of knowing if it would have affected selection.

O’Gara was a great 10 but even in 2007 he wasn’t in the conversation for best in the world. With both Carter and Wilkinson well ahead.

O’Gara is the second best 10 we have ever produced but I don’t think he could be considered world class.

• Advertisement

O'Gara ahead of Kyle and Campbell? Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Stockdale best run of form in an Irish jersey blows anything Lowe has done in an Irish jersey out of the water. Would love to see an inform stockdale in this Irish team. Think he’d get far more attacking ball than he did under Schmidt

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ah, I'd be pretty amazed if ROG would not have been the starting 10 had there been a Lions tour in 07. He was exceptional around then.

That being said, I'd probably characterise him as having periods of being world class, but overall I don't really think he merits the description. But its all pretty subjective even by normal standards of subjectivity.

Stephen Jones was a better 10 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Sooner the real rugby gets back the better.

Might be less of the Rog v stephan joenes history lesson from 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

TBH, whether ROG was world class or just very very good is irrelevant. The point is that we had no one as good as him for a long time before he arrived and in the 22 years since he made his debut, no-one apart from Sexton has come close to him.

TLDR - the idea that we churn out quality out-halves on a regular basis is false. If we have to wait another five or ten years for a proper successor to Sexton, it wouldn't be a huge surprise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Good summary. He was better than anything before him for a number of decades and he is better than anything we have now apart from Sexton.

the amount of revisionism on here is hilarious

im not disagreeing, but wilkinson continuing to work solely with him on england matchdays rather than the actual english kicking coach is a bad look for me.

every 10 (and player in general) has some weak aspects of their game though, dan carter would be the only 10 i could describe as complete, with sexton being pretty close to it. jones' passing wasnt nearly as good as o gara for example, but he had a bit more physicality and was more likely to make a break himself. as great as wilkinson was too, his decision making at times was very poor and likewise his passing was a little bit behind o gara, but his defence was incredibly solid for a 10 and his goalkicking was obviously metronomic

2001 was the only time he should have been third choice though. 2005 was a joke of a tour just in general, o gara played badly in the first game against bay of plenty and was out of contention from then on despite being the best 10 (hodgson was actually the best 10 on the tour really but he was even less likely than o gara to start). he and jones were neck and neck in 09 (two missed kicks between them in the run up to the first test), i think if o leary hadnt got injured then they both would have started, phillips was the only 9 playing well on that tour so it made sense to start the welsh pairing. as well as jones played in the second test, i seem to remember him playing pretty poorly in the first and i thought at the time that he was lucky to keep his place

this is the correct response

wilkinson was average at best until the rwc in 07 and went back to being average at best for a number of years after that

does saying periods plural not imply he was world class though? sexton for example wasn't consistently world class until after o gara retired but id still label him world class overall

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Your TLDR was only one line shorter than your original point. That’s not world class posting.

2001 was the only time he should have been third choice though. 2005 was a joke of a tour just in general, o gara played badly in the first game against bay of plenty and was out of contention from then on despite being the best 10 (hodgson was actually the best 10 on the tour really but he was even less likely than o gara to start). he and jones were neck and neck in 09

In your opinion. The reality was 3 sets of highly qualified coaches disagree with you.

• Advertisement

i stand by everything i said. 2001 he wasnt really a contender even though he ended up on the bench for the last test. 2005 was one of the worst tours in recent history, rugby world and one of the newspapers (possibly the times but i cant remember, one of the english papers we used to get back in those days anyway) had o gara down as the 10 that should have started ( thats not saying much either tbh, pretty much all the lions players were rubbish). 09 was incredibly close, i remember most of the newspapers and sky were split on who should start between jones and o gara, i seem to remember barnes picking jones despite being a big fan of o gara but he said the phillips - jones combo made more sense, especially when it was jamie roberts outside them

and for three highly qualified coaches, they won 2 tests out of a possible 9. lions only won in 09 too because the series was over and SA gave their squad players a go, if the second test had been a draw then the lions would have been destroyed

as i said before, o gara was voted most influential player of the first 15 years of the heineken cup, how can that not be world class?

Advertisement