Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

My bikes have always had lots of character 😉

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

its a 1996 Suzuki DR650se, built it from parts 2 years ago and added a few modifications.

M-unit blue

Wilburs shock with preload.

Ricor intiminator fork valves with preload caps.

LED Round head light and sequential LED indicators.

GSXR 1000 exhaust,

Procycle jetting kit.

Did the NSU fix and Countershaft seal retainer.

Renthal Paris Dakar bars and Seat concepts seat upgrade.

Tusk Pannier rack and Toprack.

Double Take Mirrors.

25L acerbis fuel tank

Did anyone have a all black royal enfield Himalayan robbed today?

coming back from Decathalon / Ballymun and two lads in tracksuits with hoodies covering their faces and no bike gear went flying past me at about 15:40

Would have seen them here

google.com/maps/@53.3998954,-6.2639633,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXn-gTy2gUZ6cxklYPXimzg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bit of an update. Liability has been admitted in relation to my recent accident.

Parts are here/coming and I'll be back on the road soon.

Body took a while to repair but it's ok now.

• Advertisement

Nope 😀 I've been trying out the "protective layer of dirt" theory for quite a while now 😁 results are still inconclusive

Not proper muck though. Only been off-road once, in Queensland, on what turned out to be quite a demanding trail (the f-off mountain Simon Pavey grew up on) even though I told them I had zero off-road experience. Got back to the hotel battered and bruised and could barely sit down 😯 we then went out for a couple of drinks and on the way to the restaurant I saw a poster for on-road bike days out, I could have spent the day hooning around on a Ducati instead for pretty much the same money 🙄

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Scrap the cap!

Anyone else ever get a bit of a fright when an unexpected letter from Shannon arrives? 😯

(It was for my SORNed bike!)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

^^^^^^^

There's people crying out for bikes

Sell them bikes ye are not using 🤪😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Bit rich coming from the guy who owns half of the apprillas in the country haha

I actually need one more.

I have to use one of them 2 days in the same week.

That's not on!

Haha ffs I'm just jealous really, I see a few rsv1000's on done deal lately, any opinion in those or do you only have Tuono's ?

Yes I have a 2003 Mille R.

Any links to the ones you've seen on donedeal?

Standard RSV yeah?

I'm thinking of maybe something like these instead of going for a 200hp litre bike,although the blade you have looks very good too

Your probably going to be facing the inevitable flywheel issue on both.

First one has more of the usual Aprilia "characteristics" ironed out but the second has nice extras added.

Also the second one will be a lot happier running on those akra cans than the first one on those mivvs.

Too short.

If you don't mind whipping out the flywheel you can get it sorted for €70 but it has to be shipped over and back to Austria.

Or drive on and hope for the best but I'd be amazed if it doesn't leave you down at some stage.

Upgraded battery cables are important too.

First one has them.

Brembo wheels on the first one which is the norm but the second one, the wheels are (without seeing the bike in the flesh) probably cast copies of the forged aluminium O.Z. wheels that come on gen1 and early gen 2 factory models.

Cheers your a real encyclopedia on these apprillas!

Well I don't use my brain for anything else so there is space for it 😁

Another area to check if looking at one is the dog bone.

If they are not taking care of, they can seize up and the dog bone can crack.

You get a good idea with a quick look.

It may seem a little daunting but it's not that bad and once things are sorted they are a good bike.

What would make life easier for any buyer is finding a seller that's into Aprilia and knows about them.

They'll usually be well sorted than.

Fire away any questions anytime you want and hopefully I'll be able to give you some guidance.

But sure why would they be selling then? 😁

Scrap the cap!

Money, new bike or even like the fella I bought my last bike off.... getting too old and his wrists and back can't take it anymore.

He was around 10 years younger than me 😰

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Had an off on the way home for work Tuesday evening - aul lad broke hard because he missed his turn, I did an involuntary stoppie to avoid going into the back of him and then the bike and I departed company. I'm annoyed that I didn't have the awareness to go past him instead of grabbing the brakes - too many years in the car. The fecker then sped off before I could get any details. Truck driver behind me offered his cam footage but when I emailed the company about it they said can't do it - GDPR - but may release it to the Gardai if they requested it.

Has anyone had any joy with reporting to the Guards and getting the dangerous langer prosecuted? I know, some hope.

Thankfully I'm not too bad (stiff and sore, some large bruises ) and I have sourced parts for the bike from a guy breaking a similar bike in the UK. It's just grinding me up that he didn't so much as check if I was OK before driving off.

FFS hope your ok and not too much damage,

Happened to a friend of mine a few weeks ago and he reported it to the guards,

They got the footage from his cam but I think they couldn't do much about it as they said he should have been able to stop in the distance, etc.

Seems to be a common practice unfortunately that they drive off as soon as they see you on the floor

Its worth having a chat with the guards at least and see what they say

Sorry to hear that enrique66_35.

At least you're ok'ish anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

Anyone with experience of the bike covers on adverts, the ones you push the bike into and has a cover on some poles attached to a ground bracket that goes over the bike. They are about 300 each but look a bit flimsy, probably will rust, maybe waterproof at a push and potential for condensation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Thanks lads, I'm inclined to not bother with the Guards and to just take it as a lesson in complacency and focus on getting back on the road as soon as possible. I'm already fed up waiting for parts - this is why I need a second bike 😉

I'm seeing loads more bikes on the road the last few days with the fine weather. Given my recent experience I was bothered by seeing a few lads with little or no gear though. I know its hot but at least wear some gloves like! On the other side of it, was impressed by one lad on a Ninja in full blackout leathers - he must have been roasted out of it but looked badass.

Leather is cooler than you might think, especially with ventilation zips open and if you maintain a decent speed 😉

Stop off and walk around a shop for five minutes though and you're poached.

Scrap the cap!

My leathers are better in the heat than my textiles.

We had a scorcher one day last September and went for a spin wearing my textiles.

It was early in the morning and I thought I'd only be out for a few hours but I ended up out from 8:30am until 5pm.

My balls were melting.

I had to stop at one stage and go into a field where there was a load of cows and pull down my pants and just leave whatever little breeze was blowing take the sting out of my balls.

And that your honour is my excuse and I'm sticking to it! 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone ever try a full high viz jacket in summer.

I know lads on site with long sleeve policies where a lot would wear high viz winter jackets with nothing undernearth rather than vest with long sleeve shirt on. High viz refelecting a lot of light and insulation doing a lot to keep heat out rather than in.

Insulation is still insulation though, which means your body heat can't escape so you'll still get warm.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement