Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

@gjim what do you think of this solution? It's cheaper and easier, and less likely to cause disruption in future projects. The station could also be retained for additional intercity capacity to Sligo / Limerick / Cork etc on busy weekends for concerts and gigs etc.

Not to forget that passengers will have other options to get into the city centre by switching at Broombridge / Glasnevin.

Definitely worth considering I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The cost of replacing the station will be relatively small. For SD station, they will excavate dowm almost 7m below the level of Mayor Street, the cost of this and the associated retaining structures will be useful come DU, making the project cheaper and reducing timeline.

For someone so concerned about "waste", suggesting a 700m diversionof the Luas stop is ridiculous. It would also be dependent on both tracks of the Luas making two turns at New Wapping St/Castleforbes Rd.

And the tunnel is unlikely to happen for at leasy 20 years, SD station will be justify its cost in that time, plus much of that cost can be offset against reduced works for the tunnel. Reusing existing Docklands station was assessed along with SD and rejected in favour of the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You've completely misunderstood the Luas stop moving idea. Please read it again. It does not involve laying an inch of track.

Pete, you'll forgive me if I don't automatically assume that the decisions that have been made were the right ones. A decision was also made not to connect the red and green Luas lines.

Oh and the plan also calls for the closure of Docklands and using the space to store spoil! But you yourself said it should be retained to use as a diversionary station if/when DU is built. So clearly you don't agree with all the "assessments" that have been made in relation to this project either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Irish Rail weren't keen on the Spencer Dock station idea, they wanted an enhanced docklands station until DU was built, with the short walk to the connecting luas and far lower cost.

The NTA insisted that Spencer Dock station be included in Dart West and then when they got that informed Irish Rail that that was the end of DU. Creegan(NTA) is dead set against DU, not for any logical reason, some sort of personal grievance.

DU simply won't be built, at least until there's regime change at the NTA or a competent minister of transport/Taoiseach insists on it but that's even further away.

• Advertisement

Any chance there's any more information on this? It is a very big claim which is at the very heart of the discussion we are having here.

Indeed. It's a big claim but IMO it would not be surprising to find out that there were at the very least, dissenting voices at senior levels to the whole SD station plan. To me the idea is plain bonkers, but only if you want DU to be built.

So upgrading existing Docklands station as you suggested is also detrimental to DU then? The reality is all options are detrimental to DU but additional terminating capacity is needed for DART+ and doing nothing waiting decades for a tunnel is not an option.

When it comes to it, I don't think launching TBMs from this area will be a runner no matter what they do now. When the time comes, I'd be be pretty sure they will instead opt to launch TBMs from the west and tunnel eastward. Maybe it made sense before the Docklands was really developed but I can't see any logic in tunnelling from the city centre, it would be a nightmare getting materials in and spoil out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭gjim

This is not true (that the Luas stop would need to be relocated during the DU works).

Please just read the Jacob's report - it's really short - if not the 2014 RO, because it seems you're just imagining things about the plans for DU construction. Believe it or not, to get to RO, you need fairly detailed plans and NOT disrupting the Luas is/was a factor in their plans for the Eastern tie-in and the DU docklands station.

I've replied on the other thread, brianc89. The jist of it is that the area being suggested for these extra platforms is required for the DU construction according to Jacobs so the station/extra platform would have to be levelled during DU construction anyway, which seems to me to be a bigger waste of money as at least you'd still have a station (Spencer Dock) AFTER the DU construction, even if it will be cut-off during the portal works.

• Advertisement

Do you have any evidence for this claim?

I don't see how this could be true given that the Jacob's report was commissioned by the NTA after the plans for Spencer Dock were added to DART+W and it allows for the construction of the original 2014 DU plans with very minor adjustments even with Spencer Dock in place.

What? We have to provide termination capacity for DART+. SD is detrimental to DU because it's in the way!

Required for what? To host a spoil heap I believe?

Minor adjustments to SD station itself, but the station has to close for a prolonged period, which effectively suspends the entire expanded network and it's that that means DU is impacted by the SD location. DU will never go ahead if DART+ services need to be suspended or severely curtailed for a year.

What evidence would you expect on an anonymous Internet forum?

The Jacobs report is very high level route optioneering it doesn't deal with any specific design issues so don't be shocked when the disruption to SD is either a total show stopper or a major engineering issue. Remember how metrolink got all the way to prelim design before anyone told the consultant that there a trunk sewer directly under the grand canal.

It's also not the first report commissioned by the NTA, or its predecessors, to be forgotten on a shelf. Remember Swiftway? Or what about metro west?

Ok if not evidence, I'd like at least for it to make sense? If the NTA are intent on scuppering the DU, then it would seem like a weird way of doing it, since it doesn't actually scupper the DU. The Jacob's report reiterates the 2014 RO with very minor adjustments - ML hasn't even gotten to RO stage yet so I dunno how the emergence of the sewer issue (years before the RO) is relevant here.

It doesn't technically scupper DU. It practically scuppers it if SD station needs to close for months on end because that would effectively suspend DART+ operation. It will be politically impossible to build DU if SD station has to close, even if it is technically possible to do so.

The NTA per say is not intent in scuppering it. Organisations are made of people, some of them can be difficult personalities.

It's OK if you want to believe in DU, I'm only posting for information purposes.

The point of me bringing up the sewer issue with ML is that projects can get to much more advanced stages than whatever new version of DU is conceived by that aging Jacob's report before they hit show stoppers. Nothing got to do with RO stage. Metrolink was starting it's prelim design when the sewer issue came up. DU is at drawing board stage, so lots of potential show stoppers

Your alternative to a station being closed for a prolonged period is to propose building a station which would have to be demolished - which is a condition a bit more permanent than "prolonged". And it would still result in disruption.

If DU or any other major infrastructure project will never go ahead because it will cause disruption, then we're f*cked.

ML will never go ahead as it will cause disruption. Bus Connects will never go ahead because it will cause disruption. On-street Luas extensions will never happen because of disruption. Cycle lanes, pedestrianisation, etc. all involve disruption.

Disruption is a cost that has to be paid for any and all infrastructure improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hi,

I'm from the future. The year 2022 to be precise.

None of this happens.

I'll pop back to 2022 in 20 years time with an update.

K

• Advertisement

I don't get you? How is the Jacob's report "ageing" - it's from late last year? It includes passenger models of interactions with ML and Bus Connects and references DART+

I'm also confused by what you mean by "DU is at drawing board stage" - you can't submit (and be granted) an RO with vague/drawing board plans? The preliminary design phase predates being able to submit an RO by years?

Please. The disruption we are talking about is more like paralysis, citywide. You know well that it will be politically impossible to suspend the DART+ network which will utterly depend on city centre termination at SD by that stage. Docklands would not have to be demolished either. The proposed use for that area during DU construction is just to store spoil. The spoil can be railed out directly rather than stored. This is common practice in tunnel projects.

We're 100% on the same page here, just FYI. I'm so tired of discussing this with @gjim . They keep using our points against us then focusing on different points later and omitting another key point later which goes against their own argument they were making in a previous post. It's pathetic.

It is clear to me that Spencer Dock, as currently proposed, hobbles DU to such degree that it will never happen.

I will restate my opening argument. "DU is un(officially) dead".

I would agree but say DU is unofficially dead in the originally envisaged form. Some crappier solution may be built some day when all the morons responsible for this mess are long dead.

DU might even happen in its originally planned form but a third disposable station in the Docklands would need to be built to provide continuity of service of the DART+ network. It will not be politically possible to shutter SD without an alternative during DU construction. And then we're getting into silly money being thrown out the window when the whole problem can be avoided in the first place by not building SD station on that site.

It's as if you're refusing to comprehend the point. The DU that got an RO is gone, out the window Long with Metro North, which was replaced with metrolink (which is designed to provide some of the benefits of the former DU project).

DU will probably also get a replacement because its in the GDA strategy, but at the minute it's drawing board stuff. And now there's a station being put in the way of the now cancelled DU (and perhaps soon to be redesigned with new glossy brochures) at Spencer dock. The Jacob's report has no technical solution for the Spencer Dock issue

The irony here is that not building the station at the proposed SD location means throwing money into the existing Docklands station (again), which will also be wasted money. Okay its less money than the SD station but at least for SD we get a high quality, modern, well located station which opens onto a public plaza and Luas stop. Of that cost, the ~7m excavation can be offset against not having to dig that later so it is an investment towards the future tunnel delivery. It also allows for over station development above the station (as shown in the current RO drawings). The extra over cost to the tunnel project will be miniscule given the billions the tunnel will cost, any money "saved" now by using Docklands will not improve the chances of the tunnel happening in future.

People are seriously overstating the eventual need to close SD, it will be in use for decades after opening so will have served its time. The long term gain of the tunnel and thru serves will be worth the short term pain. And if demand for rail services increases as expected over the next decades, there will be very little choice anyway.

What about disruption at Heuston to provide a DU station there, it is likely to be just as disruptive and costly and no steps will be taken to alleviate that in the major adjustments there as part of DART+ SW, surely by the same logic that kills the tunnel as much as SD. And if the agreement is "we invested in something decades ago so we can't now investment in a majorly improved alternative", the same applies to the PPT so no tunnel regardless what happens east of the Royal Canal.

There will always be a load of arguments made against these major projects, SD is not going to be the one to kill DU (because the same argument will apply elsewhere regardless). Going with Docklands station now is accepting an inferior, suboptimal location for decades with no guarantee that that will yield any benefits.

Disruption at Heuston would not be anywhere near as bad as at SD, if SD or an alternative such as the existing Docklands station could remain open during the DU works to continue to accept DART SW trains (and possibly some diverted diesel services that would otherwise have terminated in Heuston). There is absolutely no plan to relocate/close Heuston during the portal works as has been indicated will be the case at SD. it would not have ever been politically acceptable to do so.

We're back to the "but SD is nicer than Docklands" argument here. Retaining and expanding Docklands was a runner. cgsb suggests it was the favoured option within IE and that the company were in fact overruled by the NTA and SD was forced upon them.

Depending on the location of the Heuston station box, it could require temporary closure of a few platforms to allow for the construction. That would be the equivalent of closing SD, not closing all of Heuston.

Not sure something being forced upon IÉ immediately makes it a bad thing. Reopening the PPT for regular passenger services was also forced upon them, and thankfully it was. Of course retaining and expanding Docklands was a runner, it was considered in various assessments but was rejected in favour of SD. It certainly isn't the case that someone decided "just build at SD and feck everything else", a conscious decision is being made based on various factors, including DU.

The canal/midlands line and the GS&WR (Drumcondra) line present very different challenges during DU construction.

There will be NO WAY to accommodate terminating GS&WR (Drumcondra) trains in the docklands during the construction of DU. Regardless of rumours of skullduggery within the NTA.

It doesn't matter where you build a terminus - the line comes into the docklands meters from where the northern spur is and where the portal is to be built and there is no scope to relocate it. Just look at the map around Ossary Rd.

This is why I don't think agree with the idea of building a temporary wind-swept pair of platforms with poor access in the middle of brown-field no-mans-land to be used for the next 20 years (before DU is started) to serve trains coming via Drumcondra. The proposed Spencer Dock will provide a a modern, covered, integrated and well located station in the middle of a built up area with good access from north and south, which will still be there and useful AFTER the DU disruption finishes.

On the other hand, to my eye, it would be possible to continue to use the canal (MGWR) line during DU construction. So I agree that there is a case for maintaining (in a shuttered state) the platforms of the current Docklands station ("temporary" since 2007) to service the canal line for this future eventuality.

But using the current dockland station for the next 20 years as a terminus for DART+ trains is no way to sell the benefits of S-Bahn type public transport to people in the west and southwest of the city. It's a horrible wind-swept cheap and nasty job that was only ever intended to be kept around for 5 or so years. It would represent the worst sort of penny pinching after spending more than 1-2 billion on the other components of DART+ W and SW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Back to actual DART+... how would one make a submission to ABP on the Railway Order? I'm drawing a blank on any searches at https://www.pleanala.ie/. I can't find any reference number or info about a fee for instance. I'm thinking at this point of just writing a letter referring to the "DART+ RO" and sending it to ABP, and they can send it back to me if they need money.

Advertisement