Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

I follow an African American feminist, Suzanne Forbes Vierling (radical feminist - too extreme for me, but I agree with some of her points on blatant unfairness towards women). I can only imagine how she and her followers would view a white man conflating what was done to her ancestors... with her views on biological sex mattering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,646 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I follow 5 African American feminists and I'm the pope.

You seem foreign to the concept that black people can be bigoted too? Homophobia is famously rampant among Black Americans for example.

This doesn't get us any closer to how "the science" you find so contemporary and compelling is not simply phrenology 2.0 for another age and another segregation target.

Also your race based argument against me being white only reinforces my observations here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Have you looked at any of the reports on this?

Yes.

If Blacks have held the 200m mens record ro 28 years how is that not unfair to whites, if Usain bolt racing as a woman is unfair to women?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It's not necessarily racist, there were white slaves too. Slavery didn't just exist in the deep south of the USA.

• Advertisement

Chattel Slavery for whites?

I hit the nail on the head. Already found someone to defend slavery as not racist. Convinced more than ever of the bigotry fueling this antitrans guff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think you've completely forgotten our previous conversation on this.

Over a range of sports (athletics, swimming, weightlifting) race becomes irrelevant in performance. Biological sex does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

A great day for female sport. Let's hope more organisations have the courage to follow.

Flo Jo's (Black woman) 200m record of 21.34 is suspected to be strongly wind assisted and Flo Jo possibly doping.

Paul hessian (pasty white Irish guy) has an Irish record of 20.34.

Clearly the white guy got closer to Usain Bolt.

Now what has a greater influence sex or race?

So only Black slaves count?

I said not necessarily racist or do you believe that keeping someone of the same ethnicity as a slave is racist.

• Advertisement

Nothing I said has anything to do with how African Americans can be bigoted - only you brought that up. You, with incredible arrogance, cynicism, shamelessness and tone deafness, used the plight of enslaved African Americans as a comparison with the mere recognition that male athletes are physically stronger than female athletes. Those with male biology are physically stronger than those with female biology. We all know this - it's why those with male bodies can do more damage to those with female bodies in unfortunate cases of domestic violence. It's why those with male bodies can overpower/restrain those with female bodies more easily than the reverse. There are exceptions, I know, but that's exactly it - exceptions. My point was how utterly insulting it would be to an African American person who disagrees with gender ideology trumping biology in sport, to have that view compared with the monstrousness of slavery. There was nothing in what I said that indicates a lack of awareness that African Americans can be bigoted.

It doesn't matter what gender each man or woman identifies with - they play sports with their bodies, not their genders. That's all it is. There's no hatred of anyone - it's something that's just a fact. A fact you accepted until whenever you felt you had to jump on this bandwagon of viewing biology is bigoted. You literally don't have an argument against it, because there is no argument against "Men are physically stronger than women". So no need for quote marks around science. But saying it's incorrect or bigotry or phrenology to state that male bodies are stronger than female bodies... that's taking enslavement to ideology to a crazy level. And anyone who genuinely cares about fairness for women would have no problem seeing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Oh wait it's chattel slavery you meant.

You need to specify or you look silly when clearly there were white people forced into unpaid labour aka slavery.

What do I care which influence is greater, good enough for me that you acknowledge both are influences, and a source of bigotries.

Really the wrong hill to die on trying to equivocate indentured slavery to chattel slavery though, speaking of "which is greater." Both are terrible, but trying to "all slaves matter" the argument is a tad too ironic.

That's not science that's a meme and an invitation to clickbait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That person is doubling down on their pretence that the reason for sports being segregated by biological sex is due to bigotry. When it's (obviously, as we all know) due to differences in the male body and the female body…

More accurately, it’s something that’s claimed anyway, as the reason for sports being segregated. The reason for segregation in sports, from a historical perspective, is that the men who organised the sports, didn’t want women participating. It wasn’t unusual at the time that women were regarded as being inferior to men and were only suited to making and minding babies and children - confined to their domestic domain, excluded from public life, never mind getting any notions of participation in sports, because anything women did that wasn’t expected of them, was regarded as unladylike and a threat to the natural social order which dictated that a small group of men were superior to all beneath them.

They didn’t just think this of women, they thought it of whole groups of people in society based upon their characteristics and social standing. They maintained their dominant social standing by ensuring that nobody could ever be in a position to threaten their dominant position. Even they knew then that were everyone to be regarded as being of equal value, it would mean they could no longer regard themselves as superior to everyone else beneath them. They justified the maintaining of the social order under the premise that it was divinely ordained, and when they couldn’t argue it was divinely ordained any more, they had to come up with all sorts of “scientific evidence” to support their bigoted beliefs, not just about themselves, but about the people they regarded themselves as superior to.

Ensuring women couldn’t participate in sports had nothing to do with differences in male and female bodies; it had, and still has, everything to do with claiming that men are superior to women, and in the interests of being “fair”, women are relegated to participating in sports separately from men. The fact that women also enjoy far less reward for their participation is somehow seen as “fair” too, and excluding people who are transgender from participating in sports is just more of the same thing as has been evidenced throughout human history - their exclusion isn’t based upon scientific evidence. It can’t be, because there simply aren’t enough numbers of people who are transgender participating in sports in order to determine anything.

The vast majority of those participants who are transgender, like most participants in any sports, have never won, and will never win anything. They participate because of their passion for the sport and for the idea at least, that they might win. There are other factors of course such as the opportunities offered to those participating in sports and the sense of community that participating in sports gives it’s participants.

For some people, sports are all about winning, but for other people they are motivated by other reasons. Assuming it’s obvious that all participants in sports think the same way as each other is what would be preposterous, just as preposterous as suggesting that Government should have called off the marriage equality referendum because Paddy Manning objected to it on the grounds that marriage is a legal institution with a purpose: Children -

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-20329976.html

He clearly didn’t think that one through, any more than anyone who would imagine all people on the basis of their characteristics they have in common should, or would, think the same way.

I’m certainly not a feminist either, no interest in that particular political or social ideology, but that whole crock of suggesting that anyone who argues in favour of treating people fairly without discrimination as to their sex, gender or sexual orientation must be a this, that or the other? That’s next levels of no true Scotsman fallacious nonsense. It sure as hell isn’t based upon any legitimate scientific reasoning or any credible scientific evidence whatsoever. It’s a purely political stance.

"It sure as hell isn’t based upon any legitimate scientific reasoning or any credible scientific evidence whatsoever. It’s a purely political stance" - and the very same can be said about some on this thread.

Whatever about its origins, sex segregated spaces and sports are for the benefit of adult female humans. I'm an adult female human - this is about fairness for those from the same group. It has nothing to do with hating trans people are being anti trans - neither applies to me. That's a deliberate misrepresentation of us women. Actual anti trans people are far less likely to be feminist. They tend towards being on the right and are anti abortion, anti same-sex marriage, anti drag entertainment. I am nothing like that - I have nothing to do with people like that. I just don't want women in sport to lose out because of someone having a biological advantage due to not having female biology. This is twisted into hatred and bigotry and I'm utterly disgusted by so called liberals responsible for this vileness. Not to mention the horrifically violent and sexually obscene language used by extremist TRAs about women like me. Tweets laughing at feminists becoming ill. It's fecking evil, and I'm sick of it.

What do I care what you ommited when you said slavery? You called me bigoted and transphobic for calling out your omission.

I didn't say chattel slavery and indentured slavery are the same I said both are slavery and slavery in all forms is wrong. However you are so bigoted you only see chattel slavery as slavery unless indentured slavery is pointed out to you because it was black people.

A better Irish or other white male runner might get closer to Bolt. No woman has managed Flo Jo's time in 30 years even though training shoe's etc have improved.

You don't care that sex is a greater difference than race because it doesn't suit your agenda. Take other sports and you might find white people dominate and others like where there is no difference. Now show me the equivalent in sex segregated sports.

One person who whatabouted in relation to slavery means you hit the nail on the head and it convinces you more than ever of bigotry fuelling "antitrans guff"? No it doesn't. You're not even trying to hide your dishonesty.

You don't care that sex is a greater difference than race because it doesn't suit your agenda.

And you seem to be uncomfortable to the fact that there are still race differences evidenced, which is very incongruent with your own agenda.

My agenda is what, inclusivity? History has shown us how evergreen this hill is.

• Advertisement

You're not my psychologist and you're not a psychic?

Well you do that all the time.

No, because you couldn't genuinely think that one person whatabouting in relation to slavery means that people here are just anti trans bigots. The two don't even have anything to do with each other.

If inclusivity means someone else losing out (e.g. women in sport against Lia Thomas and Laurel Hubbard) how is it inclusivity?

No not uncomfortable with it, quite the opposite. To be honest I don't care about race in sport or anything else in life. If you didn't bring it up I wouldn't.

It's not incongruent either, across the board in almost any sport excluding equestrian and any other sport not segregated by sex men out perform women. You can't say that about race.

You can have inclusivity or fairness but not both. I believe in fairness. And you in inclusivity? or some minority you can be outraged for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

• Registered Users Posts: 13 end_101

Let's see them do this in China or any other non-white country. They'd never tolerate it, because the agenda is clearly in place to disrupt and destroy women's athletics (biological females born with a reproductive system, i.e, a vagina - I know, it's come to this.). The absurdity of the post-modern left to over-turn and invert all proper natural law and order, will only lead to the death of the Western countries while others on the brink of world power like China and the rest of Asia will remain strong and sweep in to pick up the pieces. Essentially it all serves their agenda like so many other heinous ills of our society that have been given a huge unpopular push by our compromised governments in the last few decades.

In sprinting there are some races who do better than others.

Over all sports there is no one race which does better than others. Look at the top finishers in the Decathlon for example, that's very mixed race.

I’ve just pointed out that the intent of sex segregated spaces were never for the benefit of women*, they were actually to women’s detriment, and that’s why society finds itself in a position where women are still regarded as being inferior to men, and treated as such in terms of both the spaces they are relegated to, and the fact that in most sports they don’t get the same recognition as the men’s game, and they certainly don’t get the same rewards in terms of pay and conditions.

I know for you it has nothing to do with hating people who are transgender or anything else, but the effects of policies which ensure exclusion are based upon prejudice and, dare I say it - bigotry. I don’t mean that to be inflammatory towards you, I’m referring to the people who seek to introduce policies which subject other people to unfair treatment on the basis of their beliefs about that group of people. It’s a bit like your suggesting that anti-trans people are far less likely to be feminist. I’m guessing you mean they’re less likely to be a feminist by your standards of what it means to be a feminist. You hardly need it pointing out that women who call themselves liberal feminists have all sorts of beliefs that they associate with their ideas of what it means to be a liberal feminist, quite different from your own beliefs. As someone who does hold traditional, conservative right-leaning values, I know exactly what you mean when you say you’re nothing like them. It’s easy to differentiate between someone who holds legitimate opinions in defence of their interests, and someone who’s only interest is in breaking people’s balls, just for the hell of it, who couldn’t even spell the word principles without the aid of a dictionary.

I don’t want women to lose out in sports, in any domain in fact, either. But what’s obvious is we have different ideas of what we mean by that too - I want to see women being given equal opportunities as men have, and given equal recognition, respect and rewards for their achievements. That doesn’t have to come at the expense of men, any more than men participating in what are traditionally women’s competitions, comes at the expense of women. We can’t do anything about biology, but certainly we can do plenty about sports, the same as we did in other domains like employment, education, healthcare and housing. Still a long ways to go in each of those domains too, but equality for every person in those domains didn’t mean anyone actually lost out on anything, it simply meant that everyone was given the same opportunities to participate on an equal footing for the same prize. That’s what fair means, as opposed to the idea that it would be unfair to someone who has a vested interest in maintaining things as they are, to treat everyone as being of equal status. Women are undoubtedly and without question going to continue to be the losers in that game.

*I know you refer to yourself as an adult human female, but I refuse to use that sort of terminology as I associate it with incel types who refer to women as ‘females’ and all the rest of it. I understand the intent of it, and it’s being used in a different context and all, but as far as I see it, using that sort of terminology like adult human females and biological females and female bodies and all the rest of it, just… no thanks. In any case, anyone can apply that language to themselves, and there’s nothing to prohibit anyone from doing so… you probably understand where I’m going with that without me needing to explicitly say it, but it would result in the same terminology you wish to use to distinguish yourself from others, simply being co-opted and used against you in the same way as TERF was originally intended to be a benign designation, and we actually do all know how that turned out - not in women’s favour, same as the “real” woman stuff that has gotten legs on social media, referring to themselves of course, as though other women are not women because they don’t share characteristics in common with the person making the claim. I just use the word women when I’m referring to women, I’ve never met anyone yet who didn’t understand who I was referring to. I’d be loathe to refer to anyone as adult human female or adult human male. It’s not just cumbersome, but I imagine they’d look at me as though I must be one of those incel types they’ve heard about online.

I say adult female human though, because yes, I know "female" as a noun is used as a pejorative by woman haters. I would prefer to use "women" but the gas-lighters have trained themselves, through extensive cognitive dissonance, to ensure to twist the word into meaning whatever a person feels like.

Biology mattering in sport isn't predicated on bigotry though - just biology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's funny that he brings up race in sport as if it's an argument against it when it really isn't.

Elite middle and long distance running has been absolutely dominated for years by the Ethiopians and Kenyans who seemingly have a natural gift for this kind of activity.

Given that a small natural advantage can lead to dominance in a sport, what do we think will happen when trans women enter women's sport? Those who come with the retained biological advantage of having gone through male puberty will absolutely walk it even if they are few in number.

• Advertisement

I don’t think anyone has ever argued that biology doesn’t matter though, it’s the discrimination based upon gender or sex that they take issue with and refer to as bigotry, not biology. That being said, I wouldn’t refer to anyone as bigoted because I know well it’s inflammatory.

Advertisement