Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH & Landline bundle with unlimited mobile calls

Options
  • 10-08-2022 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

No phone signal where my parents live so they rely a lot on landline.

Anyone know a good Fiber bundle that includes unlimited landline calls (national & mobile)?

Most providers I’ve checked don’t seem to have any clear price for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^

I'm with them and have been very happy with their service.

Basically a tenner a month for the phone from their pricing. It's discounted for 3 months. 500Mbps is E29.95 or E39.95 with phone. After 3 months price goes up to E54.95 or E64.95. Their 1000Mbps is actually cheaper over the first 3 months but then not over the year (obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Your parents should consider using WiFi Calling to provide indoor coverage for their mobiles. They can have seamless coverage throughout their home, and if necessary you can add additional WiFi access points to cover garden or outbuildings. Eir is the only network that fully supports WiFi calling in Ireland (Voice-calls, texts & roaming). Eir offer a fibre/landline bundle for €34.99pm and add Sim-only mobiles for €9.99pm each, with unlimited calls to Irish landlines and mobiles. They can also add multi-room TV for €9.99pm (Take first Apple TV box from Eir, and buy others to get multi-room with no additional monthly fee). Note - they will need to use Smart phones to do WiFi Calling - but most models have supported this feature for several years now. All standard mobile incoming and outgoing calls and texts are routed over fibre and WiFi, bypassing the poor coverage they have in their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

This sounds very reasonable. Would this be voip or using copper for landline?

Thanks for the idea. My parents are with Three and one of them only uses a Doro phone so not sure it would be a runner for now. I was hoping that Three would get Wifi calling but doesn't seem to be happening any time soon.

I was also thinking of getting a stella doradus antenna for the roof to boost 2g/3g phone signal but they are costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

This is VoIP over the fibre connection. Just plug your regular phone into the back of the Fritzbox 7530 - this is the router which they will most likely supply.

On a side note the Fritzbox is probably one of the best home router/modem devices out there. Simple and easy but with some advanced features if you want to use them - mesh system with repeaters, https access over internet, VPN, Myfritz and WLAN phone app to check your devices etc. Handy to have to check in on the parents devices if they are having problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Doro do have Android Smartphones that support WiFi Calling, but you would need to check which model your parents have, and also check if Doro have included the Eir WiFi Calling server details in their config. If your parents are use 'dumb' Doro phones then no amount of waiting for Three to introduce the service will make a dumb phone compatible with WiFi calling! If you haven't done so already, you should also check Eir & Vodafone mobile coverage in your parents home, as they may have better indoor coverage than Three.

Post edited by babelfish1990 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Advertisement