Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The pay comparison is a bit dumb, fair enough, but I think her central point about there being more coverage and perhaps even a resolution at this stage if it was a higher profile athlete was a fair one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So her point was that famous people get more coverage in the media? 😝

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Of course the higher profile the more coverage. Marc Fogel brought in some weed to Russia for personal use and got 16 years. He's 60 and could very well die there. No media outcry because he's just a school teacher, he's not good at bouncing a ball. The whole "it's because she's a black woman" is ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Jesus, dragged the arse out of it today.

Apart from the end. That was great

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I still don’t know what point last week’s contributor was trying to make about the England women’s team.

Sometimes there’s a question to be asked or clarification needed on something and it doesn’t come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I thought it was great. Thought Paul Flynn spoke very well, as did Murph. Can't say I agreed with Jamie Wall though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Jamie Wall expecting people to stay with their local club at all times is peak GAA man.

That's peak skip-on material.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Anyone been listening to Second Captains Saturday? I quite Enjoyed the Nick Hornby episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ya didn't he say that the lad's club is only 2 hours down the road? Bit much to expect people to be driving that far for a club game. Only thing I'd say though is you should at least be joining your local club based on where you are in Dublin, not just the biggest team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ken early did his annual premier league preview on the Arse blog podcast, a good listen. I was under the impression that he is a Liverpool fan but the fact that he is on Arse cast makes me wonder…

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Thought the two lads were pretty reasonable about Walsh's move.

Ken's wife was funny on the Arsenal doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭slumdogemillionaire

The 'soup' audiobed is a gem, probably because they don't over use it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think himself and Andrew Mangan - who does the arsecast/arseblog - are acquaintances - both live in Dublin, work in the media and talk/write about football for a living - rather than Ken being a gooner.

• Advertisement

Never going to get over that Ken "nutrition" bed...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭slumdogemillionaire

That is another one I always enjoy!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Phew. I thought almost all of last week lacked a bit of chutzpah but thankfully normal service resumed today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Is it part of Jamie Wall's contract that he has to shoehorn a Simpsons quote into every conversation?

They come to Cork but go all the way out to Leap. Feck sake! A good 80 minute drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Thought yesterday's podcast about haaland was very good especially the flann o brien bit. Ken in top form there.

What did he say? Anything to do with City gets fast forwarded...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

The show has been great the last week or so. Having the Premier League back really lets Ken get back in his stride. And I thought the discussion of the All Blacks yesterday was interesting, Justin Marshall is a good guest, even if he seems a bit blasé about head injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

A bit blasé is being generous. Seemed against any rule changes and for players to accept the risks as just part of the rough and tumble of the game. Appeared to be nearly half boasting/laughing off not remembering the game where he was concussed. Bizarre given all the stories of players coming out recently with early onset dementia etc

Post edited by cmac2009 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

Yeah, he was strange indeed, as he did state that concussion is a brain injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They actually do pretty interesting decent rugby coverage when it's not on a specific match, but rather a broader story. It's just the match specific ones I find a slog (and usually a lot of rapid tapping '+30').

Was going to post exactly this.

One thing I noticed about this rugby chat was the production wasn't as tight as usual. A lot of people talking over each other, much more than usual...

I'm not a gay man but I love Ken's dirty smokey laugh

You better listen to podcasts featuring women only, to be on the safe side

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

The Brian Kerr motor factors story was terrible, equally bad is the audio bed. I thought they were laughing out of politeness that it was a good story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Forget the Man United slating tomorrow, I want the full analysis on the Conte Vs Tuchel handshake fight tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Nice to hear a good degree of push back on Ken’s nonsense pearl clutching about let it flow on the show today.

Wasn't ken say the exact same thing last year

Yes. Every time he says "Let it Flow" I just hear that audiobed that was done at the time.

So hard to listen to Dion 'word fumbler' fanning. 'well i think... I thought... I think it..... I think...I think its the sort of........ Etc.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I thought it was great to have them back in the one room and chatting face to face. They have done such a great job of online, but it is good to have more normal conversations with people speaking over others occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

What do people think of Murph's take on Paul O'Donovan?

Fair take, I’ve the height of respect for the Irish rowers, they are brilliant but talking about shouldering the Italians etc…it’s not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

That's fair enough but he also said that he was playing a character and wasn't being authentic? Which I don't agree with at all.

Pretty poor journalism I thought. The guy was talking about how he is studying medicine and also he was really bigging up Fintan as well if you watched the whole interview you could really get a sense of the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Cant say I would have noticed if they hadn't mentioned tbh!

Yeah fair argument. I hope for his sake that he is playing a character though. If he goes around all the time with that kind of banter I’d slightly pity those that have to spend a lot of time with him. I know that’s harsh but Jesus it ain’t for me.

I know from living abroad that that kind of Irish humour might not be greeted by the Italians with the greatest of warmth if they heard it. Continental Europeans wouldn’t quite understand that paddywhackery style of humour.

personally speaking I’d much rather hear about the amount of support the lads get in grants from Irish sports bodies. It would be the same for kellie Harrington. I suspect we are a horror show when it comes to supporting international grade athletes but it’s not something the media pursue. The media pursue the aren’t we great with little Ireland beating the big boys. Fcuk that attitude personally.

I can see Murph's point but Paul just seems like he is having the craic doing these interviews. I'd rather him be like that compared to the boring clichéd interviews we typically see

Is this their first time recording in person properly since the pando? Mad if it is, there was no discernable quality difference (I'm sure if you went back to match 2020 you'd spot it...)

Enjoyed the Heather O'Reilly interview, even if she pronounced her club as Shelhorn for some reason

Which episode was Murph talking about Paul O'Donovan?

• Advertisement

The non football one from yesterday. Around halfway through

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'd like if they brought Heather O'Reilly on again. Easy flowing chatter. A funny and interesting person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

The one big bonus of them being back in the studio together is they won't have to add hot keys to the recording after the fact. So you'll get a natural reaction to them from the lads as they hear them together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement