Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you guesstimate 750 available rentals..over 26 counties…that’s about 28 available rentals per county….

that’s just nuts. The fûck are this government doing ? Absolute first rate traitors. 28 per county.

But.. still ‘no limit’ to the numbers arriving. Nor will there be. Not two fûcks given.

no background or acceptance check to verify what if any danger those arriving might be in, if any… or what danger they might pose to Irish citizens…

lots from western Ukraine arriving, nowhere near the fighting, no problem.

They are being given here accommodation free gratis and full social welfare.

British are not giving their citizens the same middle finger as we are getting from our government. They give them an appropriate yet generous £350 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,547 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If its true that SF want the dole up'd by €50, then I certainly won't be considering them for a vote next time round.

https://m.independent.ie/news/finance-minister-paschal-donohoe-calls-on-sinn-fein-to-clarify-its-position-on-social-welfare-payments-after-call-for-50-hike-in-dole-41903763.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's rare I agree with FG and Leo but the idea of linking dole rates to previous earnings (and reducing over time to incentivise finding a new job) is where we should be going on that topic

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Barbosa92

We have had 2 periods of 'full' employment over the last decade or so, where you will find a job if you really want one and are capable of working.

It's quite obvious some folk simply don't want to work. If you are able bodied and haven't worked in 10, 15 or 20 years, it's time they starting cutting dole, not raising it.

• Advertisement

They do, as per the article in the independent they confirm it.

that’s basically political gamesmanship. They know that a significant portion of Ukrainians are here for good… so they are suddenly seducing them as future voters as well as many Irish who’d be game.

Sinn Fein have really showed their true colours and they arnt green, white and orange…

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Complains current Government have abandoned it’s people and that Ukrainian refugees interests are being put ahead of “the natives”…

”What’s that? Sinn Fein want to increase social welfare benefits? They’re not getting my vote”

Ye’re gas lads 😂

The refugees would also qualify for the 50 increase too.

Sign Fein are only worried that FF and FG will be remembered for all the help they gave the Ukraine and that they will be left behind.

the only shot from their bow is a grandstanding headline grabbing one and to hell with the consequences for the state and it’s citizens…it’s as see through and disingenuous as always and as anything they do…. Loaded with agenda.

Personally I absolutely hope that FF and FG are remembered for all the help they gave Ukraine - at the expense of our own citizens and legal migrants, and with all the problems it's causing as a result.

We should never have taken in so many "refugees", let alone accept any more that will arrive. Our response should have been proportionate to our ability to support it, not the ridiculous and outrageous free-for-all it's become.

• Advertisement

And so what if they do? Everyone who qualifies would have just gained €50 that they didn’t have before.

True, but the point stands - they’re promising something to the Irish electorate that the current Government haven’t done in all the time they’ve been in power.

The current shower stole SF thunder somewhat regarding immigration, the current situation in Ukraine being somewhat of an absolute gift for them in terms of their poor record on immigration up to now. I’m just not sure their performance over the last few months will be enough to save their political skin, and I don’t relish the thought of an SF Government for a whole host of other reasons.

I’m only hoping the civil servants in their various departments will rein them in a bit tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

The whole lot of them LURVE spending taxpayers money.

100%, but it goes to show how absolutely un-democratic this country is. No way in hell if the Irish people were given a say in a referendum regarding it that they’d have said… “🤪 ahh yeah sure as many as want to come and we’ll house them, give them full social welfare and medical cards “

With covid it’s the greatest crisis since 1916-1921 but the citizens absolutely discouraged, dissuaded and prevented from having a single utterance of influence as to what’s happening to their country…ears and minds are closed, politicians and NGOs only looking east… a version of dictatorial autocracy ….what a time to be alive….. not.

They’re not cooking the books. They’re using the same metrics which have always been used. Even accounting for the fact that there are 9,000 Ukrainians on the Live Register, it’s not a measure of unemployment -

Adjusted for the summer season, CSO figures show 183,300 people were on the register, down 1,200 on the previous month.

The Live Register is used to track the number of people registering for Jobseekers Benefit, Jobseekers Allowance or other entitlements at local offices of the Department of Social Protection.

The register is not a measure of unemployment as people with part-time work can be entitled to benefits, but it does broadly track improvements in the labour market.

The number of people coming from Ukraine on the Live Register went up nearly 2,800 month-to-month to a total of over 9,900.

Ukrainian refugees are entitled to claim a range of supports from the Department of Social Protection under an EU protection directive.

The majority of adults' applications for income supports are being processed as Jobseekers Allowance at first, until the most appropriate support is identified.

People receiving Jobseekers Allowance for at least 50 days are added to the Live Register. It means Ukrainians included on the list have been in Ireland for at least six weeks.

Despite that, three-quarters of those on the Register are Irish and close to half are in the 25-34 or the 35-44 age groups.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/business/live-register-total-down-slightly-in-july-1347201.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

There is a subsection of society about what 20-30k that don't work and are not chased up they kinda skew the figures do they not ? And it's not a crass comment it's factual. So you should always account for them in the figures that are on the dole.

Loads of jobs in retail and the service industry that don't need qualifications as such, and they have been plentiful of late, most other nations would chase these people up and make them take jobs, rather than lying on their holes for years.

Service industry with no tourist space ? And we have 50 extra people thats if you take 1 adult 1 child 25k extra looking for work as were being told.

A very weird and carelessly worded comment by Varadkar tonight. Really shows his true character, I’m astounded he made this comment..

When advocating more help and assistance for Ukrainian people and their country… “ exploring all options “ ie. fûcking Irish citizens and our wellbeing under an even bigger bus……he says “ Europe is at war “. To proclaim that is incendiary, stupid, irresponsible and downright shît stirring… I can’t in any way explain how much I dislike this guy.

I mean, what the actual fûck ???… incendiary lies…. “ Europe is at war “…. Id say he’ll be getting a phone call very early from Martin ( if he can find the cajones ) but I’d say too Martin first will be on the receiving end of a call from the top table of the EU…

Mind you, Von Der Leyen might have approved this going by some of her previously published sentiments… she’s mad keen to get the Ukrainians into the EU asap, has a puppet here,

’Europe is at war’ not yet Leo. Not yet, jeeez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

We can't even manage to deport rapists who have deportation orders. So I wouldn't be holding my breath on the various agencies doing their jobs when the time comes for these lads to go home

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

It's a sad day when the lunatics control the asylum. Leo, the lefty flag wavers, and the NGOs are screwing us ( concerned tax payers) over big time. The Ukrainian problem should be the final straw.

• Advertisement

I've been saying for years now on this site how Leo is all about Leo and will say whatever he thinks will serve him and his profile. He always has a comment or soundbite for the press about something not at all to do with him, but delivers very little in his own brief.

This is more evidence of it. The only one more dangerous is Coveney who is even more beholden to the EU and a student of the late Peter Sutherland who had very clear views on the situation we find ourselves in with these "refugees" and migration. He also has made concerning statements about looking at our long held neutrality too.

Then of course there's Helen McEntee who is massively out of her depth, no useful real world experience, and promoted way beyond her ability based solely on her support for Leo and being one of his "New FG" crop of trend following, Twitter (and Tik Tok in her case) obsessed narcissists, and yet she is somehow seen as a possible future leader of the party and Taoiseach?? If that happens of course, much will be made of her youth and gender and "how far we've come" and "progressive" we are (just as was the case with Leo before her), but God help the actual country and citizens.

I've said it many times... FG are in fact WORSE than FF. The only reason that we haven't seen more of it historically is that they're never elected on their own merit but as a protest vote when FF lose the run of themselves - and then only until they (FG) remind us why that is as they make things even worse, ultimately making FF electable again as happened last time and through the aftermath of the Financial Crisis.

The problem is that our alternative are SF who would make this current situation even worse as they'd give even more away, and whose primary objective is a goal that most people don't particularly support beyond romanticism (not when it comes to paying for it and integrating unionists and making compromises), or FF who are led by a man known to need a dozen reports before he'll stumble into a decision, who will probably be ousted by his own party or take the money and retire before the next election, and with no clear successor - certainly no one who could pull the party never mind the country behind them.

The decisions being made now on this issue and the consequences and future prospects for those of us who are expected to pay for all this and shut up is very bleak indeed I fear - and that's without even considering external factors like the climate agenda and incoming recession.

But sure, when Leo gets back in in a few months we'll probably get more US-style addresses from the steps of the Dail and some movie quotes, so who cares about any of that right?

Did make me lol that he's talking about a tax cut in the middle of the Ukrainian influx. who is paying for this. If we could borrow money like this why not when people needed homes. Seem we have tonnes of money for everyone else but not Irish people. Not Irish btw.

It's more populist nonsense. Big talk about tax cuts and band changes which certainly would be welcomed but in real terms mean maybe a fiver a week to most people. It'll be wiped out by the heating and electricity bills over the winter, never mind the increasing costs of everything else and whatever other charges and levies they dream up.

What FG give with one hand they more than take back with the other.

oh ofc just did make me giggle. Where is the money coming from is my more immediate thinking.

That's an interesting point. It seems FG and FF found that magic money tree a few years ago after all. The same one they spent years (rightly) slating SF about, and yet here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

“Europe is at war. There’s a terrible war happening on our continent."

How is that sentence an "incendiary lie"?

The EU has not declared war on Russia, Ukraine is not actually in the EU, and given the size of the country vs the areas involved in the fighting, it's more akin to a regional conflict.

Despite the posturing, the last thing the EU and NATO want is to be formally dragged into this conflict. Support and interest from the citizenship is waning as well as the consequences in EU nations, coupled with the effects of other things like the climate agenda and a global recession takes centre stage domestically.

Leo making statements like that is more of his grandstanding for the likes, but not at all helpful to the situation.

it's more akin to a regional conflict.

Sure it is comrade.

The EU has not declared war on Russia

No one suggested they did, if you could even hang around the fringes of reality and discuss what was actually said I'd appreciate it.

So Again!

How is that sentence an "incendiary lie"?

Your answer is in what you yourself just acknowledged...

"No one suggested they did", ergo Europe is in fact NOT at war, ergo Varadkar's comments are incendiary and blatantly untrue.

As for the rest of your nonsense in the above post.. If you can't handle feedback that disagrees with you without throwing your toys everywhere and childish name-calling, maybe you need a blog, not a discussion forum

• Advertisement

So I asked why this sentence is an incendiary lie.

Your response was

"The EU has not declared war on Russia"

But I am talking nonsense? We are deep deep in the bowels of bizarro world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement