Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Episodes 7-10 are available for me here in the UK.

Lightyear added today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭flazio

"Crash and Burn" a documentary about an Irish racing driver in the 70s 80s called Tommy Byrne, who started to live up the cliché Playboy type of life associated with F1 drivers of the era before he even started having any success on the race track was added to the platform yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Wow, I'm surprised I never heard of Tommy Byrne or even this documentary. Shall need to check it out, reviews look decent too...cheers!

edit: Also available on Amazon Prime

• Registered Users Posts: 45,576 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Finished The Punisher S1. Seems like this show divided people according to Wiki, but I enjoyed it. Some bits are daft and hard to believe but I found myself invested in the characters. Really liked the way things developed with Castle and Micro. There were a few storylines early on that seemed to be unnecessary but then it developed well towards the end. Some crazy violence in that penultimate episode. I was thinking how mad it was that I was watching it on Disney.

Next on the list is Jessica Jones S2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

Season 1 of The Punisher is excellent. Season 2 on the other hand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Disney today announced that it is increasing the cost of its ad-free Disney+ subscription by 38 percent, raising the price from $7.99 per month to $10.99 per month. This is the most significant price increase Disney has introduced since the 2019 launch of the service.

The price of the ad-free plan is increasing to $10.99 per month because Disney is also launching a new ad-supported tier that will be available for $7.99 per month. The price change and the new ad-supported streaming tier will go into effect on Thursday, December 8.

Disney will also increase the price of Hulu without ads by $2, so it will be $14.99 per month instead of $12.99, with that change being implemented on October 10. Hulu with ads will see a price increase too, going from $6.99 to $7.99 per month.

That’s me out. Won’t be renewing at that. Can get stuff elsewhere.

Is there any announcement on price increases this side of the Atlantic and whether they're introducing advertisements?

Introducing ads at the same price point as the existing offering and creating a new ad-free premium tier will really put me off, regardless as to whether I consider it good value or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I say Netflix and amazon will all do the same soon as well.

I assumed Netflix were going to introduce their ad supported offering at a lower price point, even if after a year or two they prices slowly creep upwards.

This Disney approach is very off putting, especially after a substantial price rise this year already.

Come to think of it, now basically took the Disney approach where they added ads them offered a boost ad on and I've continued with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

it may not happen this side of the world. Ad-supported subscriptions have always been a part of US streaming (Hulu etc) while they haven’t over here.

• Advertisement

I wonder if there's anything in the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland remit that prohibits this kind of thing. Personally the only thing that would put me off is if they start tying in picture quality with pricing tier like Netflix do. Disney+ is still around half price of a Netflix 4K subscription and 4K comes as standard, likewise with Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I loved the first season, but the second was absolute crap.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I thought exactly the same thing............if an ad-supported tier came in on any service, it would be cheaper than the existing price, but this is simply a price hike, unless you are OK with ads.

You mentioned "Now", but at least with them, their new pricing tier (which is horribly expensive no matter what way you slice it) is at least cheaper with ads than it was originally. Its the fact that they massively increased their Boost price that was the real kicker there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I suspect like most things in life, the law lags behind technology. The government still can't find a way to amend the TV license to account for all our smart devices people view "TV" through - I doubt they have laws to prevent these streaming-service pricing bumps.

Think we'll reassess our own subscription with this news: it's no wonder Disney+ promotes Only Murders... so much 'cos it really has remained the Star Wars/MCU service. And my appetite isn't so strong I'd pay more for what amounts to occasionally OK shows in both worlds.

My now entertainment pass is bundled in with my broadband package so I don't remember the exact figures. For some reason I thought the package stayed the same price, kids programming got added and the boost option was made available. Maybe you're talking about the cinema pass though, or maybe I misremember.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Ah lads, there’s no way the Irish government (or any government) is going to legislate for pricing in streaming packages

Nor should they

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

As with all streaming services there is going to be a tipping point for people, there are too many services looking to sell to all the same people. My kids watch Disney but if they didn’t I’d be dropping it next time round. I think plenty will drop them if you have to pay extra to avoid ads.

Edit: Wrong thread...

While in here I'd probably still pay £10 a month for Disney+.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Disney + is the last of my legal streaming services, mainly because it comes out of my phone credit, my teenagers find it handy but tbh I use other means and have a much wider selection for free.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

She Hulk added today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,576 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Finished Jessica Jones S2. I figured it would be tough to follow the excellent Kilgrave season but I enjoyed this one a lot too. I wasn't expecting the big reveal, and I liked how that dynamic played out. If I had to be critical, I'd say the finale was a bit flat. Hogarth's interaction with Inez in the car seemed a bit hard to believe too. Overall, I was happy with this season. Trish was really starting to annoy me as things wore on but I'm thinking that's supposed to be the idea heading into season 3.

Next on the list is Luke Cage S2.

Just a heads up, When I first watched Luke Cage S2 I had to switch on subtitles because Bushmaster spoke in a Jamaican dialect that was difficult to understand and Netflix had rephrased the subtitles to something us white westerners could understand. Not sure if those same subtitles are there on Disney though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It's been years since I watched JJ. I had forgotten the later seasons. Tenant was just so amazing that, yeah, I thought later baddies just paled.

Oh, and avoid Iron Fist. It's not as bad as it's made out to be. It's much much MUCH worse. It is simply AWFUL

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Gave up on murder in the building after 6 episodes . It was a struggle to make it that far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭adaminho

Stuck on This Fool the other day out of interest and ended watching all 10 episodes. Enjoyable comedy set in a gang reform centre in L.A. Some of the scenes are in Spanish with subtitles so you need to pay attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I lasted an episode and a half of the first season. Contrived garbage. Don't think I laughed once.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was thinking Thor would be added on Disney+ day.

That's the Tom Hanks Pinocchio?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Think so the del toro one is heading to Netflix

• Advertisement

That Disney+ Day line up just reminds me that it's all the original Hulu content that's keeping me subscribed these days.

Advertisement