Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Check the harvi in the meter box next time it goes haywire and see if it is still flashing away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My Zappi2 is in full sun and no issues, I’ve heard that spooled cable on CT clamps can give rise to funny readings but yours have been in place a while so I’d discount that. All points to giving MyEnergi a call as there’s something wrong somewhere for sure, their phone support is excellent ….

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I couldn't see a number, just a Web support submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

All the bother I had with RCBO tripping, it was cheap Amazon plugs in the end letting water in and shorting them out.

It was tripping after washing this summer so I went looking and the only non factory joints exposed were those so after I taped them up not a bother since.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Is that just electrical tape? I'd recommend denzo tape, that stuff won't let any moisture in

• Advertisement

Contact | myenergi UK

Uk number here, can't remember has that number changed since I rang them last (faulty cable to be replaced FOC)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'm on the verge of going back to my installer about this, but thought I'd ask here in case there's a simple answer. I have 17 panels on the roof, rated for 6kW. However, today with the sun beating down on my roof, the highest yield I get is 4.8kW. Is there potentially something wrong with my system, or is this something that can be explained by inefficiencies or temperatures, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Temperature playsa part for sure. Couple of things to clarify.

When you say "I have 17 panels on the roof", you didn't specify the wattage of the panels.....or is that 6kw the figure? (The 6kw could also be referring to the inverter size, so just clarifying)

Also how are the panels setup? All south or some split between east and west, in which case that alone would account for it as the sun would never be fully beating down on all the panels at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

Temperature of the panels most likely, look at the daily production thread and most having the same issues. As am I!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Yep, all south facing so in the sun for most of the day. Inverter is 6kW, but panels should yield 6.205kW total (17*365W).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Anyone here with a Solis Hybrid and off the shelf (not DIY) battery?

What happens when your battery is charged to 100% during the day while there is generation? Does it sit at that state of charge unless there's sufficient draw in the house? Picture of the graph would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭connesha

Yea, that's what it does.

Have solis hybrid and pure drive battery. These sunny days, generation is almost always higher than house load, so it gets to 99 or 100% and stays there.

Perfect, this helps a lot. Same setup I have. Mine has continuous drain once it hits 100%. Once it reaches below 95% it charges back up to 100%. It will not charge the battery between 95-99% SOC otherwise even if there's excess.

Speaking with someone else who has the same issue and they called Solis earlier - the tech said this is normal. I'm calling BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

Same set up here, Solis inverter and Puredrive batteries and once it hits 99-100% it stays there unless house draw exceeds generation.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Stays at 100 if there is enough to sustain it. Recharging if it drops only starts once SOC hits 95%. I've a Sofar

OK, so the recharging once it falls below 95% is correct - that's OK I guess. I think I'll give Solis another call tomorrow to follow up on this.

Solis started charging right away once it goes under 100, (if it has enough excess to charge)

Definitely panel temperature. Mines (8kwp) maxes out at 5.5kw in this weather but in may/June it clips at 6kw (the max the inverter will do)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭paulbok

Should a battery charge when the grid is down?

Have a scheduled outage this morning and nowt happening.

Is it only battery discharge to the emergency outlet that will work?

Emergency Power Output (connection / socket) only when grid fails

• Advertisement

Maybe! But generally no as the fireman switch would be off.

Question re the Willis heater for an immersion. (I believe @tnegun is the expert?)

I mentioned this to my plumber, this was his reply. Thoughts? Alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭tnegun

I don't know if I'm the expert but I made enough mistakes fitting it and had to fix/revisit them! Your plumber is correct the Willis stat doesn't do a good job of managing the temperature and I don't ever see that mentioned also he's correct on the temp hotter than 60c is bad for most booster pumps. It was recommended here and I fit an additional pipe stat on the return from the Willis in series to the existing in the Willis itself. It has much better control of the temperature but it cycles more frequently between heating and exporting however it keeps the cylinder temperature in the high 60s without the pipe stat it was getting dangerously hot 80c+ . You can see the Eddi/Willis at work here with the Orange-Diverted power matching the solar. It started cycling before 11 and then my daughter almost emptied the tank it heated again until after 13:00 before it started cycling due to the output from the Willis going above 70c when it cools it kicks in again but the bottom of the tank is 30c+ now so it doesn't take much for the stat to open again.

*edit something I did with the Eddi was make the cylinder immersion the first priority and the Willis second more to share the load between them than anything else but it seems to work well. The only drawback is the eddi can take 30 seconds to figure out the cylinder immersion isn't taking anything when surplus becomes available before switching to the willis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

The only drawback is the eddi can take 30 seconds to figure out the cylinder immersion isn't taking anything when surplus becomes available before switching to the willis.

If it's what I think it is, that timeout might be configurable via the Eddi menu system.

It is, anything up to 240seconds if I recall correctly, can only be adjusted at the unit, not via the App

So is there an alternative? Any way to "stir" the tank every now and then to distribute the hot/cold?

I would have thought that the best option is a mixing / anti-scald valve on the cylinder output

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭tnegun

Any idea where? I don't have the hub/app but have got through the menus on the eddi itself and into advanced etc. I can see delays for export etc but nothing re the heater switch over. There is a delay you can set so that it will check if the other heater is still at temp but this seems to get cancelled if the surplus disappears and it will start fresh and spend 30 seconds trying to send power to that element.

You could fit a desertification pump and the additional relay board to the eddi so that once it reaches temp it stirs the tank.

A de stratification pump, is just a normal water circulating pump btw, connected between the top and bottom of the tank. Last time I bought a pump it was about €80ish and it doesnt have to be a big one, just needs to move some water.

Id think about a mixing / anti-scald valve too on the top as that would mean any water leaving the tank is at say 50, where the tank could be 65+ less hot water is used, tank stays hot for longer. (seeing as you will have the tank already drained to fit the pump)

• Advertisement

Don't suppose anyone has a Solis WiFi Logging stick they are (for some reason) not using. They do not come with the inverter and hard to track down stock

https://shop.veepenergy.ie/product/solis-data-logging-stick-wifi/

Advertisement